PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Advice Please

baygirl
04-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a question for those who work graveyard shift.

Later this week I switch to the 10pm-8:30am shift at work. In the next 4 nights should I try to get as much sleep as possible, or stay up late to start adjusting? And any tips for helping me switch when the nights are over?(I will be doing 4 on, 4 off).

Tik-Tok
04-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Are you always going to be on the graveyard, or do you switch back and forth to days?

Personally, I find it best to stay up 24 hours the first night (like I'm doing right now actually, lol, 26 hours as of now), then crash hard when you get home. That way you'll sleep like a baby for 6-7 hours, and have all evening to do stuff, then go to work again.

That always sets the graveyard pace for me.

baygirl
04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Are you always going to be on the graveyard, or do you switch back and forth to days?

Personally, I find it best to stay up 24 hours the first night (like I'm doing right now actually, lol, 26 hours as of now), then crash hard when you get home. That way you'll sleep like a baby for 6-7 hours, and have all evening to do stuff, then go to work again.

That always sets the graveyard pace for me.
Thankfully it will be all nights. The biggest issue I will have is that some days I will only be able to get about 2 1/2 hours sleep before I pick my daughter up from school....
Do you have a hard time adjusting back to a regular sleep schedule when you are on days or off?

Tik-Tok
04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by baygirl

Thankfully it will be all nights. The biggest issue I will have is that some days I will only be able to get about 2 1/2 hours sleep before I pick my daughter up from school....
Do you have a hard time adjusting back to a regular sleep schedule when you are on days or off?

Nah, last day when I get home, I'm so bagged from that shift, that I nap for a few hours as soon as I get home, which re-clocks me back to normal, lol. I don't have a 4 and 4 though, I do 5 grave shifts, then 2 day shifts, then 7 days off.

Modelexis
04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
You gave birth and raised a child and yet you still have no grasp on dealing with alternating sleep schedules?

Is this just a cry for attention?

Darell_n
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I would suggest starting your day with work and staying up for 6 hrs afterwards, just as you would normally. When I work nights I will have a long afternoon nap before the first night. Buy a good pull-down blind to make it pitch black and consider some soft ear plugs if outdoor noise starts to bother you. Getting home in the morning and finishing all my shopping and running around while the stores are still empty makes night shift worth it to me.

baygirl
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
You gave birth and raised a child and yet you still have no grasp on dealing with alternating sleep schedules?

Ummm, my daughter doesn't stay up all night, so I haven't had to...there's a little difference between getting up every couple of hours to see to a baby and staying awake for a 10 1/2 hour shift....

Scat E46
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

LOL :bigpimp:

pdm111
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
I did the graveyard shift for a few years. Start staying up as late as you can. I found the first night of work was always the hardest.

FYI your sleeping pattern will be messed up. Some days you'll go straight to bed after work, other days you'll stay up until noon.

As for your days off you'll probably be up for most of the night.