PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Season

msommers
04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
First time out today, man was it windy. My legs are SORE! I got off my bike and almost fell over :rofl: Felt great though and I'm still surprised how much faster one can go on a road bike vs. other types.

I started in Mayland Heights and went along Memorial to Shouldice and turned back. It's about 31.2km and I did it just under 90minutes. Not terrible first time out this season, probably nothing to brag about either haha.

What are you guys' goals for this season? Mine is to do Bragg Creek and back starting from Spruce Meadows and maybe Canmore. Compete in one or two time trials to see how it is.

:thumbsup:

kvg
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM
My goal is not to spend thousands on another road bike because I got sick of my old one:nut: I have bought 3 in 2 yrs. :facepalm:

swak
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by msommers
First time out today, man was it windy. My legs are SORE! I got off my bike and almost fell over :rofl: Felt great though and I'm still surprised how much faster one can go on a road bike vs. other types.

I started in Mayland Heights and went along Memorial to Shouldice and turned back. It's about 31.2km and I did it just under 90minutes. Not terrible first time out this season, probably nothing to brag about either haha.

What are you guys' goals for this season? Mine is to do Bragg Creek and back starting from Spruce Meadows and maybe Canmore. Compete in one or two time trials to see how it is.

:thumbsup:

You got some work ahead of you dude... :thumbsup:
Not bad for first time on the bike though.

Now you gotta get off the bike paths and get on the streets!

.. On that note, we should get a beyond ride to Bragg Creek organized. Ride Fast!

Vagabond142
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
My goal is to go an entire season without breaking a chain... good luck on that one :nut: :nut:

Seriously, though, I want to get the bow path, from North to South to North, done in under 5 hours this year. I usually laze it out, take a full saturday to ride tip to tip... I'm aiming to be able to do it in a morning, before lunch but after breakfast :D

Khyron
04-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Today was my first commute of the year - I live far so it's 30k each way. And straight into the goddam wind all the way home, ugh. Bragg is a good easy ride, either on 22x or out highway 8 depending where you live.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Ride more, I don't do any road or cross county really anymore, just recreational downhill and having fun around the city.

msommers
04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by swak

You got some work ahead of you dude... :thumbsup:
Not bad for first time on the bike though.

Now you gotta get off the bike paths and get on the streets!

.. On that note, we should get a beyond ride to Bragg Creek organized. Ride Fast!

Ha, what would be a respectable time for ~30km? It was pretty darn windy yesterday...ya... that's why ;) There were a few times the side wind was blowing pretty hard, I had to lean into it or I swear to god I was gonna get blown over haha.

I'd definitely be down to do the Bragg Creek run.

tobslau
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Pretty awesome to hear others were taking advantage of the beautiful day on sunday.

Rode to downtown and back to see how the commute is to downtown taking the nose creek bike path (around 20km) each way.

Stoked for spring and summer season :bigpimp:

D'z Nutz
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
My goal is just to get out on a regular basis. Since I live so close to Eau Claire/Prince's Island now and, I'll be out pretty frequently.

I'm definitely looking forward to being out more. The cycle machines at the gym were getting plaaaaayed out! Haha

JfuckinC
04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
So, i'm going to buy a roadbike this year, just to ride around chesty lake prob. i was looking on kijiji yesterday and saw some stuff on there for like 500-600... now my question is, what size of frame do i need? i'm 6'5" ish, weigh around 220lbs right now.. will it make a huge diff or do i just make my seat higher? what's a good used bike for a beginner. I legit haven't really rode a bike in 4-5 years lol.. i ride the spin bikes at the gym everyday though. Point a guy in the right direction :D

msommers
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Two threads down in this section :thumbsup:

swak
04-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Broke in the new Eastons today on the streets.. Point and fact that this is going to be a great summer for riding/racing after this commute.

The stop and go from all the street lights slowed me down a lot! That's prolly what slowed you down too, sommers... I avg'd 25.4 inner city streets (swear to god I hit every red light) with a max of 61.2km/h

Mutch
04-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
So, i'm going to buy a roadbike this year, just to ride around chesty lake prob. i was looking on kijiji yesterday and saw some stuff on there for like 500-600... now my question is, what size of frame do i need? i'm 6'5" ish, weigh around 220lbs right now.. will it make a huge diff or do i just make my seat higher? what's a good used bike for a beginner. I legit haven't really rode a bike in 4-5 years lol.. i ride the spin bikes at the gym everyday though. Point a guy in the right direction :D

JC- I'm 6'6, 250 and I picked up a Rocky Mountain road in a 60cm frame. You would prly be able to fit onto a 57 or 58, but everything will be riding right on the limits of fitment. Trust me, its much earier to get fit properly on a larger frame than try to make do with a smaller one- Especially if you are planning of rattling off some decent distances in the future.

Khyron
04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Fit's pretty important. Seat height fixes how much your leg bends during pedal stroke but it does nothing for your reach which is how far you lean forward to hold bars. That can be adjusted to a point with different stems and such but really you should go to a bike shop and see an entry level road bike and see what size fits. Then when looking at used bikes you can compare to the new, for both size and value. I ended up buying new simply cause the price difference was so small (mine's a tri-bike which was harder to find at the time)

Better to be a touch small than too big though.

A standard goal for speed for a novice is around 30km/hr or 20mph, assuming no stopping for lights and crap, no big hills/retarded winds.

swak
04-12-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd say 30kph is on the higher end of things, but definitely something managable and something legit to strive for.
Get used to the bike, and speed will come. 21kph is a pretty lax pace tho (kin-of a 3% grade climbing pace)

JfuckinC
04-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Two threads down in this section :thumbsup:

perfect, didn't know this section was even here haha, thanks!

Thanks for the other info too boys. I'll be buying a bike after i figure out the fit. :D

98type_r
04-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Only been on the trainer so far this year, haven't ventured outside yet although I was starting to think about commuting, until this snow hit. I do vow to commute more to work, it's way cheaper than driving and sucks way less than the bus. It's been a few years since I've done a 100+ km ride, so i'd like to get at least one of those in this year.

swak
04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
When i get my summer work schedule for May, i'll set a day for a group ride to Bragg Creek, or possibly do the Bowness - Cochrane - Bragg loop if you boys are feeling down.

Get together on a saturday morning or something and jam, and get the legs moving...

urban.one
04-15-2011, 08:23 AM
What tires are you guys running on your road bikes?

Especially early in the season with all the gravel and debris on the road Im looking for something with a little more puncture resistance but thats not too heavy or too poor on rolling resistance.

98type_r
04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I've been riding the past 4-5 seasons on the Vittoria EVO cx, even commuted a bunch on them. Normally I commute on the cx bike with beefier tires, but it's nice to take the road out some mornings.
In those 4-5 years I think I've had two flats from road debris, nothing that damaged the casing of the tire. I have a pair of Michelin Pro Race I've been meaning to try, but I just haven't found any reason to move away from the Vittoria's. I've read the Continental gatorskins are great for puncture resistance and decent for rolling resistance, but I have no experience with them.

msommers
04-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I have no idea the hell my helmet has gone and so I'm on the hunt.

Looking around, I have no idea how a 200 helmet and 60 helmet perform. I'd assume the more expensive ones are lighter and maybe breathe a touch better? Personally I think spending $200 on a road helmet is a little nuts.

What's your guys' take on helmets?

J-hop
04-23-2011, 06:33 PM
well at least in full face helmets, you get what you pay for. I used to rock an $80 giro fullface, it was a piece if shit, heavy, very hot and didn't fit my head well. Last year I bought a $200 fox helmet and its like night and day. It is super light, breathable and fits great. Its been a long time since I wore a road helmet but I'm sure the same applies. First I would look at safety rating, then its all fit and finish after that, I think its really one of those things you can spend as much as you want on.

Khyron
04-23-2011, 09:06 PM
For road bike it's about fit, so whatever fits if it's a 60 specialized or a 120. I think I spent 140 on a race aero helmet so yah 200 for injected foam is nuts.

For tires I rock the specialized armadillo. Heavy, but it's made with a kevlar belt so pretty much can take a knife attack. A bit slower, but it makes you work harder which makes you faster. I like the Michlin pro race 3s for racing but there's a bunch of good ones (conti 4000s, the vitorias above, etc)

Don't buy them local, too expensive. Probikekit.co.uk you can get em for 35 bucks or so shipped instead of 70+ retail here.

swak
04-23-2011, 09:12 PM
X3 on Vittoria's...

THE BEST tires out there by far, get the 320 tpi tires, and you think you're riding on a cloud.

I have wire-bead evo's on my commuter, and the 320 tubulars for my race wheels. Corner like nothing else out there.

Vagabond142
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Jeebus hillbillies Nose Hill is a riot today XD Good warmth, but going up the hill on 14th, as soon as you get past the police station and the community on the East side of the road, there is a freakin GALE going over the hill. Was actually knocked off my bike into the grass :rofl:

So, does that count as my first official crash of the season? :thumbsup:

swak
04-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Jeebus hillbillies Nose Hill is a riot today XD Good warmth, but going up the hill on 14th, as soon as you get past the police station and the community on the East side of the road, there is a freakin GALE going over the hill. Was actually knocked off my bike into the grass :rofl:

So, does that count as my first official crash of the season? :thumbsup:

...id say yes :nut:

But good work on getting the bike out dude...

Vagabond142
04-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by swak

...id say yes :nut:

But good work on getting the bike out dude...

Hey, if the weather is clear, the sun is shining and the ground dry, I'll bike :thumbsup: 'Tis but the way of the wheeled ones :D

swak
04-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Ahahaha... That's the way she works!

BTW, tomorrow is going to be my first ACTUAL ride out of the city (Bragg run or something) if any of you want to tag along, you're all welcome. Should be a nice day, and school obligations are finally over, and work is actually giving me a day off, haha, so let's make the best of it!!

Vagabond142
05-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Today was killer for biking. Hot n sunny, clear, no wind :thumbsup: Got a half Bow Trail run in, still getting the legs past the "oh god oh god" stage of biking long distance XD

Hoagie
05-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Went out to Chestermere today 56.19 km in 3hrs 11mins it was windy as hell both ways but it was a good ride. It was my first long ride well ever but it was a good way to start the season.

msommers
05-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Went to Cochrane today starting at the zoo. My ass hurts. A lot.

Had a blast though.

Vagabond142
05-13-2011, 07:33 AM
This weekend:

Today: 17
Tomorrow: 18
Sunday: 20

And no rain....

(grabs helmet, runs out front door and onto bike) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

swak
05-13-2011, 08:41 AM
This week is so freakin nice its nuts.

And msommers, you gotta get yourself some bike shorts dude!

msommers
05-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Oh I do... I just have a boney ass :rofl:

swak
05-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Hahaha... Sucks. Just gotta break in the saddle, and get used to stiff saddles.

Good ride tho! What route did you take? Cut through bowness to north on 1A?

msommers
05-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I wish I could use google maps properly...

Anyways went along 8th ave west from Mayland Heights, took 10th st down to the bow river path, followed that until it basically ended in Valley Ridge, hopped on the TransCanada then down to township 250. Getting home was a long, painful process haha. The switchbacks right under Stoney Trail was a big surprise too. Hopefully going to get out Saturday and do a bit shorter one.

How's the road to Bragg Creek from Spruce Meadows? I can't remember if it's more or less flat the whole way or pretty hilly.

swak
05-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Rollers all the way for the most part. Its good tho. Without that, it gets boring riding on flats all the way.

msommers
05-18-2011, 03:28 PM
I took the 22x (driving) out to go camping to see what was in store. Some big hills there but should be do-able soon. Did a quick 50km this morning on the path out to Valley Ridge from the zoo. Also had my first crash, ass flew over the handlebars hahaha. Some younger teenagers literally would not move while taking up the whole path, while facing me, and I had no where to go but stop as fast as I could. Luckily wasn't going too fast, few road rashes but nothing serious. Most impressive was that my foot were not clipped in while midair - I was happy.

Definitely finding I like going on the road more as well. Literally no traffic in the shoulder, roads are in good conditions (those bumpy pathways really take a lot of steam out of you) and just more enjoyable. I'm averaging between 25-30km/h depending on the wind.

How's everyone else's season going?

corsvette
05-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Was planning my first day long ride this weekend...hoping for a change in the weather forcast. Other than that my longest ride so far was 30km, fast, easy peasy one way, facing a good wind the whole time coming back.

swak
05-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Hahah.... Msommsers, this is the exact reason I try and stay away from bike paths as much as possible.
How's you/the bike?

But been working so damn much this summer, had a few realll good rides in, but glad I rode last night waking up to these wet roads today!
*Almost got my ear ripped off my this old fuck in his golf focus trying to "teach me a lesson" (I guess) for being on the road, while mind you, being as far right as practicable.

Vagabond142
05-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Sweet monkey rapture it's nice out there... just got back from a short one month bike check (ie chain check, air in tires, everything is still good from the start-of-season tuning), and I think I'm gonna go out again just for the hell of it, it's so nice :O

EDIT: Ow. Fuck.

Fucking ow.

Biked Charleswood -> bow trail halfway to fish creek -> bow trail to bowness -> Charleswood

Almost :barf: 'd halfway, took a 5 minute stretch, felt fine afterwards. My legs are just DONE. When I got off the bike at home, got WLS and had to sit for a couple XD

Vagabond142
05-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Don't tell me I was the only one that went biking on this glorious day? :(

Khyron
05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Camping - I burned them up on a hard 3rd commute of the week on Fri.

Hoagie
05-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I wish the weather was better, was cycling in the garage on the trainer today.

The forecast as well is looking terrible for the week.

HHURICANE1
05-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm waiting for the weather to clear up now. I bought a new toy to play with. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=51637&scid=1001&scname=Road
Black and white. I'm picking it up tomorrow at Bow. Should be fun! At least it fits unlike my Devinci.

msommers
05-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Sick ride! Post some pics when you get her :thumbsup:

flipstah
05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
OMG first ride of the year and I'm severely out of shape lol.

I need to get out more now!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/250199_10150199689604820_513459819_6798427_7809474_n.jpg

Need new brakes! Can anyone recommend a low rolling tire that has some decent grip for some minor off-roading (grass and park trails)? These Big Apples are just too slick for grass.

D'z Nutz
06-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Whoooo just did my first ride of the season. It feels good to get out. Started from Eau Claire went to Bow Cycle, then back. I figured seeing some cool new toys might motivate me to bike more haha. Hopefully now that the rain has let up for a while, I'll go biking more.

msommers
02-07-2012, 04:02 AM
How has everyone's winter been so far? I'm working out of town and gonna have to bring out the bike+trainer, getting out of shape.

Recently decided that I'm going to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer and need to get in shape for that. Wouldn't mind getting a couple upgrades for the bike...best dollars spent are the rims/tires? I remember someone mentioning some kevlar tires were really nice and resisted puncture the best.

Also, has anyone done the RTCC before? Their website is terrible or I'm half retarded. Their exact route I can't find anywhere, total km's per day, where you stay overnight etc. The ride would be amazing though and the cause can't be beat!

gogreen
02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I've done it the last 3 Rides. They never release the route until much closer to the event since there's so much prep work that needs to be done (they need to coordinate with Volker-Stevin on traffic control, pit stop locations need to be arranged, etc.).

If you sign up you'll get an email when the route is officially released. However, the last two years have been an out-and-back from Spruce Meadows to Chain Lakes campground, so that will likely be the location for the overnight stay on the evening on Day 1. They set up a giant tent city, complete with massage facilities, portable showers, and secure bike storage. They also haul all your gear to camp for you, so you can travel pretty light on the bike. However, even though they have mechanics at all the pit stops you're still expected to change your own flats so you'll need to carry some basic tools. Having some rain gear is pretty important too as the weather can be unpredictable.

Bring a sleeping pad of some nature, as the ground at camp can be pretty rocky, lol!

Total distance per day should be in the range of 100-110 km, with pit stops typically every 25-30 km. Whatever the final route is I would expect long sustained climbs and strong winds, so train accordingly. ;)

And if you're interested in joining a team, check out One Aim!

Edit: I posted some more info on the RTCC in this thread, if you haven't seen it yet: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/344885/ride-to-conquer-cancer/

swak
02-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Kevlar tires would be hard as rocks against punctures, but are heavy as balls in comparison to smoother/faster tires.
I'm a vittoria whore, so I'd recommend the 150tpi rubino for everyday riding. Excellent tire!!!

And for rims, yes definitely your best upgrade. You have rs-10's? A good upgrade would be an ultegra set, or kryserium equipes (which I just bought a bike that comes stock with these, so if you want I'd give you them under msrp if you want.

That or eastons alloy lineup, or shimano ultegras or something would all be good upgrades. You're looking at 600+ msrp though, pm me and we can talk wheels if you want.

msommers
02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Great info from both of you, thanks. I think I'll register right now!

Swak, you have PM.

EDIT: Found a nice consolidated review on tires.
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/general/downloads/download/tourtest_gp4000s_en.pdf

The Schwalbe Ultremo and Conti GP4000S seem to be ones to put on the short list, myself leaning Ultremo.