PDA

View Full Version : over msrp illegal?

bart
04-13-2011, 12:45 AM
i heard dealers cant charge more than msrp cause it's illegal in canada, true? is it legal in the US? i know they will tack on fees like pdi, freight, and admin fees...

Palmiros
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Good question, I recall hearing about people paying over MSRP when the GTR first came out..

Cos
04-13-2011, 07:21 AM
If you are stupid enough to pay for it..... no it isnt illegal the MSRP is a suggested price.... nothing more.

Tik-Tok
04-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Manufacturer's
Suggested
Retail
Price

There are certain laws in Canada, to stop extreme over pricing, but they can still charge way over MSRP. US doesn't have as strict of retail laws as we do.

chkolny541
04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Manufacturer's
Suggested
Retail
Price

There are certain laws in Canada, to stop extreme over pricing, but they can still charge way over MSRP. US doesn't have as strict of retail laws as we do.

bingo, there is a certain limit, there was a news story a while back abot a mazda dealership over charging ALOT over msrp and the dealership was in shit after it was uncovered, so there is a certain limit. It was posted somewhere here on beyond but i dont want to search for it now

JustinMCS
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

bingo, there is a certain limit, there was a news story a while back abot a mazda dealership over charging ALOT over msrp and the dealership was in shit after it was uncovered, so there is a certain limit. It was posted somewhere here on beyond but i dont want to search for it now

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/805836--car-salesmen-charged-for-overselling-by-25-000#article

chkolny541
04-13-2011, 03:46 PM
^^ thank you!!

rage2
04-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/805836--car-salesmen-charged-for-overselling-by-25-000#article
The charges isn't because they sold over MSRP (they didn't). It was because the buyer was "intellectually disabled". The sales guys just sold her everything possible, then threw her a 8 year loan. The article included the cost of the loan in the total which is kinda silly.

MSRP = $40k.

They sold the car for an alleged $66k. This number comes from:

$46k - Car price (MSRP + GST + PST)
$4.5k - Protection package, 3m, all that crap.
$16k - Interest from 8 year loan.

If you calculate interest from a loan as part of your payment price, then we're all paying WAY over MSRP lol.

Just another poorly written article to make you feel more sorry for the victim.