PDA

View Full Version : I need the complete dummy's guide to Firearms aquisition

spikerS
04-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Alright, back on the farm, we never bothered with PALs and FACs and what ever other old acronyms there are for this crap. We all had our guns, we all went and shot gophers and hunting and never had any issues. Mind you, that was ~20 years ago.

I have decided that I want to get into skeet shooting and gopher hunting for fun. I don't hunt anymore, so I got no need for anything huge, this is just for sport mainly. Looking for a .22 and maybe a 12ga pump for skeet.

But here is the deal, I need a PAL and a FAC, or so i think from what I have read. The dummy in me has no clue in what order i need to do this, or where to go, costs involved, waiting times, all that.

What I am asking for, is a detailed list, from square 1 with nothing, to the end game with firearms in hand.

anyone able to shed some light, or point me to this info?

legendboy
04-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Call ITTA and book yourself into the course. Its about $200 but you get it all done in one day. That would be restricted and unrestricted. They will also give you all the information you need to proceed to the next step.

Get your papers from ITTA at the end of the day and send them in to the rcmp with another cheque for 60 or 80 bucks.

You do have to provide a few references to the rcmp, and they will call and ask all sorts of questions regarding your mental and emotional state, relationship problems and stuff like that.

Then you wait, and wait, and wait and finally one day you get your pal card in the mail. (this could be 4, 5, 6, 8, 12...etc. weeks)

Then you go to store, buy a gun, take it home and your done.

z24_wheels
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Phone these guys, book yourself in for the two day, 10 hours class.

A.H.E.I.A.
911 Sylvester Crescent, SW
Calgary, AB T2W 0R8
Phone (403) 252-8474
Fax: (403) 252-3770

Cost is a donation. Books are worth $30, so donate at least that much.

Attend class. Fill out paperwork at the end of the class.

Wait.

Get PAL in mail.

Cos
04-13-2011, 03:57 PM
+1 for AHEIA. $50.00 tax deductible to take your test. Was pretty good to me.

GQBalla
04-13-2011, 08:44 PM
does AHEAI course have the restricted license too?

spikerS
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
sweet, I will give the AHEAI a call to register asap. I am only interested in getting the non restricted anyways.

z24_wheels
04-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Yes, they also do restricted. It is an extra five hours I believe.

Tik-Tok
04-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by spikers
sweet, I will give the AHEAI a call to register asap. I am only interested in getting the non restricted anyways.

FYI if you're considering joining Shooting Edge firing range, they have the one day PAL program as well, that's "free" with their exorbitant yearly membership fee.

freshprince1
04-26-2011, 04:18 PM
OP, just a reminder, once you pass your course, in order to get your license you have to fill our all the paperwork. one section asks for references and signatures. Included in these references are spouses and/or ex-spouses. They sometimes call the spouse to check on the environment at home and make sure the significant other is comfortable with the applicant acquiring a firearm. Just something to think of.

Tik-Tok
04-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah, a friend was just telling me one of the questions asked of him, was if he'd been divorced recently, or going through a divorce. He may have been talking about restricted though, can't recall.

D'z Nutz
04-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah the fact that you're going through a divorce right now might set off some red flags. Especially if they happen to call her for a background check and bitch be actin' the fool.

Kloubek
04-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
OP, just a reminder, once you pass your course, in order to get your license you have to fill our all the paperwork. one section asks for references and signatures. Included in these references are spouses and/or ex-spouses. They sometimes call the spouse to check on the environment at home and make sure the significant other is comfortable with the applicant acquiring a firearm. Just something to think of.

I'm glad this was brought up. If you didn't, I would have.

Spikers, one of the things they have on the PAL application is whether you just broke up or had relationship issues. This is going to look like hopelessly poor timing, to be honest.

And truthfully, it probably *is* bad timing....

GQBalla
04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
my co worker told me once you have your PAL and restricted if you ever get pulled over and they run your license it will come up?

CMW403
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
my co worker told me once you have your PAL and restricted if you ever get pulled over and they run your license it will come up?

Yeah this is true. That's why once you get your PAL they start asking if you have any firearms in the car along with your drugs.

Spikers you probably want to hold out on your PAL application as they will want to talk to your ex-wife and from the sounds of it she will definitely try and ruin this for you.

spikerS
04-26-2011, 07:59 PM
hahahaha. I suppose it does look bad, however there is no possibility of it happening. To start, I am just looking to get a .22 for gopher hunting. I suppose they don't know that tho.

CMW403
04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by spikers
hahahaha. I suppose it does look bad, however there is no possibility of it happening. To start, I am just looking to get a .22 for gopher hunting. I suppose they don't know that tho.

You've got her living out in the backyard huh? Good work.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
+1 for ITTA. You can get your restricted in ONE DAY, which is a heck of a deal.

Funny you bring up skeet/trap. I was out at silver willow yesterday with some folks from work. Turns out I'm a terrible shot.