PDA

View Full Version : The Big Cheese Poutinerie

sdevils15
04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
So i decided to check this place out on Monday and it was pretty fricken awesome. I ended up have the Notorious P.I.G. which was amazing, i got the large and couldn't finish it. I was with 2 buddies one of which got the Hogzilla and one made up his own and they both loved the every bite. They got the food out to us very fast and piping hot. I cant see how this place will never not be busy. Better get there soon!!

Here is the menu with amazing options which make the decision process very hard.

http://www.mybigcheese.com/menu/menu_thebigcheese_poutine.pdf

ekguy
04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I saw this right before going into Divine to get my ears uped a gauge hehe. Kinda got me craving poutine...Now, knowing it's good, I'll be checking this out tonight hehe.

SScott
04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Sounds like Tubby Dog for Poutine

flipstah
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SScott
Sounds like Tubby Dog for Poutine

+1. Cash only or debit?

All I know is... Game on. =D

sdevils15
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I guess it kinda like tubby dog except they aren't putting ridiculous things like alphagetti and cereal on there poutines. I believe they except cash, debit and credit.

They are supposed to stay open late for us drunk eaters as well.

souljer
04-14-2011, 12:30 AM
that menu looks friken delicious, i love poutines... mmmmm yummay:poosie:

how late you think its open, check there page, no hours

wardpr68
04-14-2011, 01:32 AM
me and the lady drive by this all the time.... must have JUST opened... we were never sure if it was opening soon or had just closed down. Awesome!

sl888
04-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Had the Porky Pig on Sunday :drool:

kevie88
04-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Wait.. Where is this? :o

Thaco
04-14-2011, 07:31 AM
The Big Cheese Poutinerie
735 - 17 Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0B7
Canada

Tik-Tok
04-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Damn you OP. Now I'm craving some tasty poutine, but no way in hell I'm driving downtown today, lol.

tenth
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Seems we have a Smoke's Poutinerie coming soon as well.

http://smokespoutinerie.com/main.html

EDIT: click on locations.

foreverchina
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Smoke's Poutinerie is pretty good. Was in Ottawa when they open. IMO nothing beats poutine like chip wagon poutine :drool:

Luang
04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
I donno I just had a peppercorn chicken and it wasn't that great. Maybe it was just because I chose a crappy one hers the pic.
http://img832.imageshack.us/i/imagetsg.jpg

CMW403
04-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I saw this right before going into Divine to get my ears uped a gauge hehe. Kinda got me craving poutine...Now, knowing it's good, I'll be checking this out tonight hehe.

uhhhh what?

hehe.

nagooro
04-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Went there last night after tiesto and was pretty disappointed. Fries were okay, lack of cheese, and the gravy was kind of watery.
I will probably give it another shot when im sober, but yesterdays was :thumbsdow

edit: for those wondering, I ordered a large traditional.

ddduke
04-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Tried it, got a chicken/bacon poutine and the philly cheese. Neither were good at all, the chicken one had weird shit like peas in it that ruined it and the philly was super watery. Gonna try it again and just get the original, but definitely was not impressed at all.

Another shitty thing is the place is full of 18 year old scene kids, sharing poutines and loitering while writing in journals/drawing. But there isn't much that can be done about that.

Tik-Tok
04-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Another shitty thing is the place is full of 18 year old scene kids, sharing poutines and loitering while writing in journals/drawing. But there isn't much that can be done about that.

Just walk in and loudly pronounce "Ughhh, this place is sooo mainstream" and "What's with all the emo fags in here?"

1slw4dr
04-28-2011, 02:56 PM
What time are these guys open until?

Mibz
04-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Had the Notorious PIG, it was alright. I'd like to try their traditional but I'll wait until I'm going with people who haven't been before. I don't think I'll go back on my own.

JordanEG6
04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Still think Alberta King of Subs is better.

drtoohotty1
04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
Still think Alberta King of Subs is better.

+1

SilverGS
04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Got the Notorious PIG last week.

Overall pretty good. Fries were great and there was enough cheese and toppings for me. Gravy could of been better. Thicker and more of it.

Had the large and could not finish it.

ddduke
04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Had the large and could not finish it.

That is one thing that I noticed, the large portion is huge and could fill up nearly anyone.

Speed_69
04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
I tried the Hogzilla on Monday and was dissapointed. Like others have said, gravy was watery, fries weren't great and lack of cheese.

Their hours suck too! I called and asked what time they were closing that day. The woman said she thinks they will close around 9ish. I had gone the week before at 8pm and they were already closed. They basically close at anytime whenever they want. There's no set hours for close.

I don't think I will be returning.

bleu
04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
I thought it was pretty good...but then my Montreal friend said it was only OK. I had the traditional.Their hours on the weekends seem to be pretty good! They are open quite late.

JordanLotoski
04-28-2011, 08:00 PM
WTF. I didnt know about this place..Iam a poutine nut. Iam gonna check it out tomorrow

The_Rural_Juror
04-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Don't waste your time. Go to Brava, Over Easy, Laurier House or Alberta King of Subs.

Disoblige
04-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, based on what I read, not going to go there purposely to try it out. Maybe only if I'm in the area/with some friends.

I love poutine if it's done right, and if they can't be consistent/decent on the gravy, then no good.

dizzle
04-29-2011, 12:34 AM
COSTCO, has the best poutine.

The poutinerie is ok... fries were not that great and not enough cheese curds, but what really turned me down was the gravy. Wayyy too watery.

winson2001
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
:( the big cheese was on my gonna-go-try list

natejj
04-29-2011, 09:48 AM
We went at 9:15 on Tuesday night and they were closed, I was PISSSED. Going to try again tonight. Loved it first time.

D'z Nutz
04-29-2011, 10:54 PM
I just came back and I can't say I was very impressed. I tried the Notorious PIG and the Traditional and there wasn't really anything special about them. The gravy was runny, the fries lacked salt, and there wasn't a lot of curds. It's very unlikely I'll be returning.

Like The_Rural_Juror said, go with Alberta King of Subs. They'll put this place to shame.

schocker
04-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Tried it tonight also, had the porky pig. Overall I liked it, but it is mainly a novelty so I cant see myself going there often, but it was a good snack.

ExtraSlow
04-30-2011, 06:56 AM
Lots of places in Calgary for Poutine. King of Subs rates highly here:
Food Network - Poutine Crawl (http://community.foodnetwork.ca/blogs/eatingout/archive/2011/04/29/gravy-and-cheese-curds-je-t-aime-spotlight-on-poutine-in-calgary-alberta.aspx)

sabad66
04-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Went on Tuesday during the day and I didn't think it was as bad as everyone says. Maybe it depends on who is working at the time. Cheese curd quantity was just right, and the gravy was a good consistency. I had a small philly cheese and it definitely filled me up. I'll probably try the notorious PIG next time I'm in the area.

derpderp
04-30-2011, 12:57 PM
They have been pretty busy, at least when I went. It was alright but maybe give them a bit of time, especially when business isn't so intense. Bigger fries so it doesn't get so soggy would be nice.

bigboom
04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Went today and I don't think I will be going back. I ordered the cowtown and the gravy was watery, there was barely any cheese and only two little strips of beef. Anyone find the gravy very sweet as well?

Regardless there is much better poutine in this city, I'd rate A&W over this place.

YCB
04-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
Went today and I don't think I will be going back. I ordered the cowtown and the gravy was watery, there was barely any cheese and only two little strips of beef. Anyone find the gravy very sweet as well?

Regardless there is much better poutine in this city, I'd rate A&W over this place.

X2.. It was busy, the guys were sweating in the back keeping up with the orders, no time to put a little heart and soul into these creations.

Cajun powder was good though. :nut:

K3RMiTdot
05-01-2011, 03:45 AM
went today... it was decent, got the peppercorn, there was barley any chicken if any at all -___-

OriginalGoods
05-01-2011, 04:32 AM
A and dub, is way too salty.

flipstah
05-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I think it's overhyped... It was only good because it was late night and we had the munchies. Otherwise, they just drown fries in gravy and hope for the best.

Hopefully, it's better when it's daytime and calm.

wbaxter
05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
New York fries has a good poutine. Not a huge fan of A&W.

OriginalGoods
05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
haha last night when i posted that i went to sleep , then i had a dream i went to a and dub and there poutine was brutal again. :rofl:

sputnik
05-01-2011, 01:51 PM
For some reason I REALLY like Burger King poutine.

It has really nice curds and I am sure they put crack in the crazy orange gravy they use.

Luang
05-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
For some reason I REALLY like Burger King poutine.

It has really nice curds and I am sure they put crack in the crazy orange gravy they use.

I worked there a couple years back and the gravy is made from a vegetable power thing and the cheese curds come in the same package that is used at A&W and KFC

clem24
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by dizzle
COSTCO, has the best poutine.

WTF, no they don't. They have the CHEAPEST. The cheese is so cold and chunks so big that none of it has any chance of melting. The fries are also not that great either. Having said that, I still eat it, but it's definitely NOT the best poutine, heck it's not even poutine period. More like fries with gravy and chunks of cold cheese.

.norco.
05-03-2011, 06:27 PM
I like costco poutines :cry:

dizzle
05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by clem24

WTF, no they don't. They have the CHEAPEST. The cheese is so cold and chunks so big that none of it has any chance of melting. The fries are also not that great either. Having said that, I still eat it, but it's definitely NOT the best poutine, heck it's not even poutine period. More like fries with gravy and chunks of cold cheese.

You're right cheese is cold, however, half of it is also melted (for me anyway). At least you get a greater than fair amount, unlike the poutinerie. Costco's fries are the bomb! So crunchy and it tastes like a baked fry or something.

Also, we can pick at the poutine and eat the curds and mix it with the gravy. At other places its all just a bunch of mixed shit like a poutine smoothie, especially the poutinerie. I guess costco's poutine is more of a raw straight up version? Not bashing the place but in my opinion, it does not live up to the hype.

Disoblige
05-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by OriginalGoods
A and dub, is way too salty.
:werd:

I feel so bloated, hot and sweaty after eating A&W poutine. So much sodium content..

But, I'd still eat it :rofl:

I want to go eat at Costco now heh.

ApexDrift
05-05-2011, 07:51 AM
if anyone heads down to vancouver check out Fritz on davie and grandville... hands down the best I've had in the west

http://www.fritzeuropeanfryhouse.com/

bigboom
05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
If anyone is ever in Canmore you guys should try La Belle Potate...they make a very good poutine as well.

eb0i
05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
if anyone heads down to vancouver check out Fritz on davie and grandville... hands down the best I've had in the west

http://www.fritzeuropeanfryhouse.com/

The only other place I go for my poutine fix nowadays is to Alberta King of Subs for their Smoked meat poutine. Fantastic.

After reading these reviews I don't think I want to even waste my time/money at this "wannabe" poutine place.

souljer
05-05-2011, 01:07 PM
ALBERTA KING OF SUBS FTW!!!

tried the "big cheese poutinerie"... and it was alright... gravy was to watery. and not worth the price. i was hungry, and got the peppercorn large, filled me up though. but yeh, wont be going there again

euphoria
05-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I only skimmed through the thread, all I can say is, I thought it tasted nasty. I got the Buffalo Chicken, and the fries were not even crispy, the gravy was watery, and the cheese wasn't even melted. Only good thing I can say is they have a pretty wide variety of poutine.

winson2001
05-15-2011, 12:36 AM
have yet to try this place but i did give king of sub a try for its closer to home ^^ and King of Sub lived up to all the recommendations its pretty awesome poutine I had, and the somke meat thing they have is almost good in every way, i had smoke meat in my both my sub n poutine. Whoevers gonna go try King of Sub, try their smoke meat :D thank you all who mentioned King of Sub. And even tho theres quite a few neg respond for the Big Cheese, It'll still be on my "to try" list.

1barA4
05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Notorious PIG is a let down...the BBQ sauce is way too vinegary, the fries are somehow overdone on the outside and underdone on the inside...

If you're drunk though, it's not inedible but even drunk I was like WTF I expected better.

Just disappointing -- try to hit a BK that's open late instead, you'll be way better off.

LowRiderHD2000
05-16-2011, 09:52 AM
If anyone is ever in Canmore you guys should try La Belle Potate...they make a very good poutine as well

Tried this out yesterday. Very good poutine and montreal smoked meat. :thumbsup:

desi112
05-16-2011, 10:22 AM
amazing

Donmega
05-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I gave them 2 tries. Worst poutines I've ever had.

calgary403
05-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

The only other place I go for my poutine fix nowadays is to Alberta King of Subs for their Smoked meat poutine. Fantastic.

After reading these reviews I don't think I want to even waste my time/money at this "wannabe" poutine place.

Alberta king of subs poutine is the best in the city. Hands down. Coming from a guy who was born and raised and just moved here from Montreal. The home of the poutine.

However there smoked meat is disgusting. Absolutely nothing like you would find back home. It's like 1/4 inch thick slices and so greasy it makes me want to puke.

I'm going back on Sunday, I can't wait to eat some real food.

The stuff you would find in a mall food court in Montreal is WAY better than the stuff you get out here.

Idratherbsidewayz
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
This place was ok. The amount of cheese definitely didn't correspond to the name. :rofl:

Tasted like I was eating fries with a bunch of crap on it. Probably won't go again.

coldmind
06-15-2011, 06:05 PM
CBC did a review on The Big Cheese Poutinerie as well:

Review By CBC John Gilchrist (http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/columnists/restaurants/2011/06/03/the-big-cheese-poutinerie/)

He gave 5/10.

Disoblige
06-15-2011, 10:44 PM
It's just too bad.

The owner is trying to bring back what he had in the East to Calgary to give the city a place to go to for poutine.

It's just too bad he can't deliver, even though he tries to provide fresh quality ingredients.

Roarasaur
06-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Gilchrist usually gives optimal reviews for ok places, He COMPLETELY bashed the big cheese. Looks like I'll just have to look for cosco or The District for good poutine.

viff3r
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Was going to try this place, guess I won't be any more.

Alberta king of subs FTW. He really should have tried a bit harder with the name though. :rofl:

EG6boi
07-02-2011, 01:23 AM
I went there a couple of weeks ago with my girlfriend and gave it a try. Overall, the poutine was alright. I got the Traditional and Notorious P.I.G. poutines. I will probably go back and try something else.

6/10

relyt92
07-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Had it yesterday, it was decent but as mentioned it was lacking in cheese, and wasn't really worth the price.

LongCity
07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Alberta Kind of Subs, while good, is salty as fuck! I know smoked meat is salty but the gravy was a little overboard. Throw the meat in there and you got yourself the DRI for salt in one poutine.

EG6boi
07-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Had it yesterday, it was decent but as mentioned it was lacking in cheese, and wasn't really worth the price.

I thought it was too little for the small. What do you think?

1barA4
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

However there smoked meat is disgusting. Absolutely nothing like you would find back home. It's like 1/4 inch thick slices and so greasy it makes me want to puke.

I'm going back on Sunday, I can't wait to eat some real food.

The stuff you would find in a mall food court in Montreal is WAY better than the stuff you get out here.

Maybe my friends went to the wrong place in Montreal, it was that famous one...Schwartz's? Lesters?

Anyways, they ordered the "lean" and it was the greasiest, fattiest meat they ever saw (even compared to my narwhal sister-in-law). One asked to see the medium-fat one and immediately ordered lean.

And this is from one of my best friends known as the Buffet Messiah (having attained the throne over the previous Buffet Emperor and Buffet King)...so if the King of Subs is fattier and greasier, someone should burn that place to the ground and save our health care system some $$$

calgary403
07-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4

Maybe my friends went to the wrong place in Montreal, it was that famous one...Schwartz's? Lesters?

Anyways, they ordered the "lean" and it was the greasiest, fattiest meat they ever saw (even compared to my narwhal sister-in-law). One asked to see the medium-fat one and immediately ordered lean.

And this is from one of my best friends known as the Buffet Messiah (having attained the throne over the previous Buffet Emperor and Buffet King)...so if the King of Subs is fattier and greasier, someone should burn that place to the ground and save our health care system some $$$

Lester's is probably the one you're talking about. The lean smoked meat from Schwartz's is like sandpaper :rofl: :rofl: Schwartz's is on St. Laurent.

King of subs is on a whole different level. It doesn't even taste like meat. It just tastes like you put a straw in a deep fryer. I have never understood why anybody likes the smoked meat there.

However the poutine and all dressed steamies there are pretty damn good. Not as good as you would get back home but the closest thing I have found out here.