PDA

View Full Version : Engagement ring Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

rob the knob
04-13-2011, 07:04 PM
How much did you spend on engagement ring?

if you dont want to post $ value, then post as relative to salary wage or compare to how much you spend on month of rent mortgage or car payment loan?

do you wish you spent more or wish you spent less?

or if not money description, then what size rock did you get or any other info?

where did you buy?

any info you think is important you would share?

Jetta-2.0
04-13-2011, 07:07 PM
i spent $2000 but the ring was half price on sale
no i dont wish i spent more on it

sr20s14zenki
04-13-2011, 07:16 PM
i spent 1500$ for both the engagement and wedding band. Peoples jewellers. And no, i dont wish i spent more, me and my wife are not materialistic people.

For my wedding band, fortunately she took me with her. They wanted like 600$ for a gold band. Fuck that shit, got tungsten, with a band of carbon fiber. Best wedding ring ever :bigpimp:

Euro_Trash
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Don't listen to anyone who says you should spend X% or X number of paychecks, bunch of BS. Best thing you can do is put some effort into designing a ring yourself

Cos
04-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob

Purchased for a great deal. Around the $1k mark.

if you dont want to post $ value, then post as relative to salary wage or compare to how much you spend on month of rent mortgage or car payment loan?

The ring was appraised at $2500.00. Dont listen to the bullshit about a certain amount. Find a nice one and buy it.

Honestly I wish I had focused on a bit bigger rock then a clear rock. She has 3 diamonds and all are very high on up the clarity scale and sparkle because of it. In a dark room or whatever it looks smaller sometimes. Wife doesnt seem to care though which I guess is all that matters.

.5 Carat middle and .2 carat sides I think. Been a year and a half.

where did you buy?

Michael Hill, we had a family friend manage the NE stores. I was going to buy from Spence but felt like a used car dealer of jewellery sales. Shortly after I worked part time at Jewels by Maximes and they had some nice, albiet expensive, shit. That is where I had it appraised later on.

Unless you are baller or have a high needs wife I see no problem spending $750 - $2000 at a Peoples or whatever if they are having a sale. Anything less than $750 CAN be small but there are deals to be had.

Biggest thing is dont buy when you find the first one, haggle like an SOB, walk away, come back and haggle more (not the same night, that looks desperate). Also make sure you can exchange the style if you arent 100% sure. Make sure you dont try and cross shop. I know it sounds retarded but if someone bitched that they could get it better online the managers were usually less likely to offer decent deals. Just be nice and haggle the price down. If you 'threaten' to go elsewhere it can be a bitch getting back in. Especially if they have specific styles (like Scott Kay or Tacori like we were dealing with). Also you will notice not a lot of places will actually write down anything but MSRP and the model number down.

Other thing too, try and buy on a slow night at the store. If the store has a choice to make $200 profit on a slow day compared to nothing they are more willing to sell. Compare that to a busy saturday when they have already made their money by noon, why would they let a watch or ring go for $100.00 profit if they can keep it until tomorrow and make more. I found most people who purchased were on the weekdays and later evening. 7-8 was the start of sales. Weekend days was usually a bunch of people wanting to touch all the shit and talk themselves up about a new bonus they got or the cool job they have.

superflychief
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I bouth my wife's ring at Costco. It was custom made for her size finger. $4600 platinum ring, .75 center stone, 8 baguettes down each side, and small pave stones on the faces of the ring. 2.5 carrats total i think. Ring got appraised at 11k I think. Smokin deal on a stunning ring. Costca has some beautiful rings at great prices.

2.2vtec
04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Paid 7500 appraised for 14k. Tacori

benyl
04-13-2011, 07:44 PM
4Cs... look it up.

Cut is important for sparkle.

Color is probably not that important as it will only look white when you compare rocks or put a white background behind it.

Clarity is a preference.

Carat... well, that is what you can afford.

Go here and put in the specs you might want.

http://www.bluenile.ca/diamond-search?pt=setform

Due to the rising dollar, it looks like the ring I got is about $3K cheaper than what I paid 6 or so years ago.

I spent about 4 times my monthly net salary... haha I could have bought a new car... fawk.

ReasonOne
04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
All in all, my wife's engagement ring cost just over $2500 at the time (about 6 years ago).

I had my wife's engagement ring custom made by a friend of the family who recently retired after 40 years in the jewellry business. It took months to convince him to come out of retirement to do it for me. I sketched the design I wanted and he gave me all sorts of advice as to what designs were economical and what designs would increase the price significantly. He told me he would give me an incredible deal, but the stipulation was I had to be patient and let him do it in his own time. I agreed. He followed my design to the letter - an extremely delicate and intricately traditional Celtic-styled ring that has specific nuances that make it one of a kind. But I had to wait almost 2 years to get it!

I bought the gold for all our rings in advance so I had the advantage of time on my side (back when gold was trading at around $500-$600/oz.). Best decision I ever made as it saved me a small fortune. AND the bonus is I kept the leftover gold in case I want to make an anniversary ring.... for the time being the spare gold is a great investment!

I bought the stone from my jeweller's leftover inventory from when he owned his shop. He gave me the deal of the Century. Suffice it to say he must have just given it to me at his bare minimum cost as he had no more need for the inventory. The stone is a colourless (D-E rated) 1 carat princess cut diamond. It came complete with a certificate. I believe the stone was VVS2 in clarity. Very good quality.

I am glad I spent what I did and she loves it. It's a one off custom job from scratch that is very unique to her and suits her personality. If it were ever stolen it would be easily identifiable as hers. It was worth the wait.

It was appraised at just over $12,500 recently.

redline
04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I did not buy one... my wife did not want one.

Tik-Tok
04-13-2011, 07:57 PM
$0.99, and I got to eat the rest of the onion rings too.

adam c
04-13-2011, 08:08 PM
spent $26xx appraised at $3500+

there was no way in hell i was paying the 3 months salary bs, i think i spent enough

there are 27 diamonds total
.26 for the diamonds in the band and .70 for the main diamond

got it from James Allen in the states

ekguy
04-13-2011, 08:23 PM
it's a tarp. Don't do it hehe.

I spent a few months salary when I bought my ex hers. Thank god the store reimbursed me after I caught her cheating hahaha.

Had to fabricate quite the story haha but they gave me back my money haha.

03ozwhip
04-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by redline

something is wrong here. no woman doesnt not want a ring, even if she says it, its a TARP!

Cos
04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

its a TARP!

http://whatthecrap.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/tarp.jpg

03ozwhip
04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
^^LOL but really youre gonna get fucked for some ridiculous thing later on, trust me. anyways i spent about 4k for both engagement and wedding band. engagement was a little over 3k, and the band a little under a 1k.

i think thats too much, but thats the one she wanted and far be it from me to tell her no when it came to that. i like my penis....and her vagina.

ekguy
04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^LOL but really youre gonna get fucked for some ridiculous thing later on, trust me. anyways i spent about 4k for both engagement and wedding band. engagement was a little over 3k, and the band a little under a 1k.

i think thats too much, but thats the one she wanted and far be it from me to tell her no when it came to that. i like my penis....and her vagina.

I hope you got to put your p in her v a whole bunch for spending that on her ring hehe.

I know I spent almost that and got me lot's of sexing for a while haha. Then the novelty wore off haha. But then again some other sucker is stuck with her now haha.

Sugarphreak
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Cowtown_Raider
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Don't underestimate the importance of getting a top quality cut, that is what makes a diamond shine! [/B]

+1

a smaller diamond with an excellent cut will out-sparkle a bigger rock with a lesser cut

googe
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by benyl
4Cs... look it up.

Color is probably not that important as it will only look white when you compare rocks or put a white background behind it.

Clarity is a preference.

Due to the rising dollar, it looks like the ring I got is about $3K cheaper than what I paid 6 or so years ago.

I spent about 4 times my monthly net salary... haha I could have bought a new car... fawk.

:eek:

shakalaka
04-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Fuck! Reading this me makes me realize how lucky you guys are. When I talk about my dream cars, the gf talks about the dream ring being 2.8 carats, with top clarity, cut and color costing the same as the Lamborghini I want. lol :(

eblend
04-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Fuck! Reading this me makes me realize how lucky you guys are. When I talk about my dream cars, the gf talks about the dream ring being 2.8 carats, with top clarity, cut and color costing the same as the Lamborghini I want. lol :(

I had one of those...now my ex haha, but seriously, she expected 25k ring at least...funny that her current husband actually bought her just that.

My wife didn't want a ring at all as she doesn't see the value (not very romantic), but i got her one for 1.5k at bluenile.ca, and I think another $500 for the wedding band. I think in all it was just under 3k for the rings and both wedding bands in platinum, don't recall the carat.

Either way she is happy, since she is small anyways, so a big ring would look out of place (my excuse haha)

shakalaka
04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
lol mine isn't really 'expecting' anything to be honest. We do joke around about these sort of things. Even though she says this, the way she actually is, she'd be happy with even a $500 ring if that's all I can get.

CapnCrunch
04-14-2011, 07:36 AM
MY wifes was under $200. She said no diamond so I was :clap: . Goddamn I love that woman. :love:

sputnik
04-14-2011, 07:47 AM
$2000 all in.

- $1500 for the diamond (0.36/D/VVS1) from a diamond broker in Montreal.
- $500 for it to be set in a titanium tension set ring

poison
04-14-2011, 07:55 AM
.5 karat vvs1-e color GIA diamond=3500
14k white gold setting=500

wife was happy :thumbsup:

prodigydud
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Wow!! Based on the responses so far, I spent WAY above average :eek:

In hindsight, I'd say spend as much as you are comfortable with. She will love you no matter what. You'd think that this is one of those moments where you should "step it up" (including myself), but the novelty of an expensive engagement ring wears off really quick.

Also, why are people using appraisal value as a decision factor? I guess it helps if you buy ring insurance. If things go South, you can't really resale a ring at appraisal price. If anything, you'll get pennies to the dollar.

Tik-Tok
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by prodigydud

Also, why are people using appraisal value as a decision factor? I guess it helps if you buy ring insurance. If things go South, you can't really resale a ring at appraisal price. If anything, you'll get pennies to the dollar.

No, but you can sell the diamond for a good price, and melt the ring down.

benyl
04-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Haha, she'll have dreams about people cutting her hand off for the ring like my wife did.

The setting on my wife's ring was $150. 14K or 18K (can't remember) white gold copy of the Tiffany setting.

some of you guys are overpaying for the setting. haha

Sugarphreak
04-14-2011, 09:56 AM

403Gemini
04-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Haha, she'll have dreams about people cutting her hand off for the ring like my wife did.

The setting on my wife's ring was $150. 14K or 18K (can't remember) white gold copy of the Tiffany setting.

Shhh.... don't tell them how much jewelery is actually inflated by ;) It's almost as bad as most electronics...

89coupe
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by redline

I can vouche for that.

Same with my wife, I still got her one though.

My lady doesn't want a wedding either, one up on you ;)

She says the money is better spent on the house or kids.

She says weddings are a waste of money...haha...she's awesome!

sputnik
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Shhh.... don't tell them how much jewelery is actually inflated by ;) It's almost as bad as most electronics...

Jewelery markup is WAY higher than electronics.

Most jewelery is marked up at LEAST 200-300%.

That's why it makes more sense to buy your diamonds from a broker and have a jeweler set it after the fact.

gts_gurl
04-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Smart wife you've got :) I couldn't agree with her more!

As for the engagement ring... it should be a symbol of love, not how much money you make. Spend only what you can afford or are comfortable with.... She's with you for you.. . not the ring you can buy her (or I'd hope not anyway).

403Gemini
04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
It's funny cause my sister and her husband are pretty well off, but her engagement & wedding ring total I think was only about $1500. They had a nice, small wedding as well, and own a very nice house.

I mean, if you want to toss $5,000 at an engagement ring, all the power to you...

I mean...

5Ur2er-STls

:bigpimp:

Mitsu3000gt
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM

I can vouche for that.

Same with my wife, I still got her one though.

That is pretty awesome. Most people aren't that lucky I don't think.

IMO weddings are one of the biggest wastes of money ever, especially with all the new expenses a new marriage often comes with (probably a new house, vehicle, kid, etc.). At the very least I'd rather spend the money on a better honeymoon. Sadly, I don't think the chances of that happening are very high as most girls dream of huge lavish weddings and a giant ring haha.

phreezee
04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Bare minimum for an engagement ring in my book is 0.5 carats. The other 3 C's are up to your budget.

sputnik
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
Bare minimum for an engagement ring in my book is 0.5 carats. The other 3 C's are up to your budget.

Sucks to be you.

Most women would rather have a smaller perfect diamond than some big gaudy yellow piece of crap (aka ANYTHING sold at a jewelery store in shopping mall).

Size of the diamond should be the only factor that depends on your budget.

mr2mike
04-14-2011, 11:49 AM
The other 2 D's are up to your budget.

Corrected.

CapnCrunch
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Sucks to be you.

Most women would rather have a smaller perfect diamond than some big gaudy yellow piece of crap (aka ANYTHING sold at a jewelery store in shopping mall).

Most women would rather have a healthy relationship than have money and jewelry thrown at them like a prostitute.

Sorry, I should say good women...lol.

sputnik
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Most women would rather have a healthy relationship than have money and jewelry thrown at them like a prostitute.

Sorry, I should say good women...lol.

So the only healthy relationships are the ones where you don't give each other gifts?

austic
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I spent around 7000. 1 CT center with another .5 in side stones in platinum.... Then she left me 6 months later.. So no I have an expensive paper weight. I wish i would have spent way less... like maybe a cracker jack ring lol

Destinova403
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
You guys do realize that Appraisal value is only the highest possible replacement value with 5 years of inflation taken into account... Just because a ring is appraised for 10k doesn't mean that its actually worth 10k... Its just meant to cover you through the insurance company for a worst case scenario replacement.

The other thing: Most jewelry stores wont even talk to you if they realize that you have a diamond purchased from a broker or online. In my experience, if you come in to a store with a diamond you purchased somewhere else... you end up getting jacked up prices or refused service downright.

max_boost
04-14-2011, 12:54 PM
You know every relationship is different so if I were you who cares if some other guy's gf doesn't want a nice ring or a wedding etc. You have to figure out what works for you. Ultimately it's your cash.

Anyway, the ring I bought was a Tacori setting, 1.53 carats, F color, vvs2 from Jewels by Maxine's in Chinook. Asking price was 28,500+TAX and we settled on $26,000 TAX IN. It didn't end up working out so we broke up and the ring is gone lol So my advice, 50% of marriages end in divorce anyway so just save your money. If she doesn't like you, move on to the next one. :rofl: :thumbsup:

ReasonOne
04-14-2011, 01:10 PM
The comments posted on here have been very interesting.

My wife never asked me for a ring either. I thought she would be pleasantly surprised when I had one custom designed for her - and she was. I hid the fact that I was having one made for her. I know the kind of woman I am interested in, and the ones that demand a $25K ring on their finger is simply NOT the kind of woman I would marry.

We were dating for years before we got married and we both agreed to get more important things out of the way first. And I am very glad we did it that way. I've got quite a few friends who splurged on the wedding and the rings, but cannot qualify to buy a home. Some have placed significant sums on credit and will be spending years paying it back.... and for what? One day? I think that's a load of shit.

We both started out almost dead broke , so we KNOW and UNDERSTAND the value of money and we will not toss it around like there's an unlimited supply.

Spend what's within your means and screw what everybody else says. And DON'T let your woman try to force you into a higher price range either. Be a man, grow a pair, stand up for yourself and pick something that meets BOTH of your needs.

My two cents.

max_boost
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Get a synthetic diamond that's lab created. For real!

http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/engagement_ad4_open.php?gclid=CLyHw9zcnKgCFRFOgwodix9wIA

http://74.86.49.179/images/enagagement-landing-3.jpg

Calgaryrocky
04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I spent $3100 on the ring, bought it from a store in Chinook I can't remember the name its on the second floor.

I would check out the Bluenile.ca website, thats where I learned the most about the cut/clarity etc. of diamonds then I went out shoppin.

I went more for the overall design of the ring rather then focusing on getting a big centre stone. The one I bought is a unique design because the centre stone is kind of suspended, from any angle you see the entire stone right down to the tip and underneath it the band has diamonds as well.

As for the money side of things, I set a budget for 2500 and ended up spending 3100, appraised at 6000. This is still less then a month's salary for me but a good amount for the ring in my eyes.

variance
04-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
It didn't end up working out so we broke up and the ring is gone lol So my advice, 50% of marriages end in divorce anyway so just save your money. If she doesn't like you, move on to the next one. :rofl: :thumbsup:

shitty man, in this sitatuation doesnt the ring normally get returned to you though?

sputnik
04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
It didn't end up working out so we broke up and the ring is gone lol So my advice, 50% of marriages end in divorce anyway so just save your money. If she doesn't like you, move on to the next one. :rofl: :thumbsup:

Is this the same girl you would buy an LV bag for at every gift giving occasion?

:D

max_boost
04-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Is this the same girl you would buy an LV bag for at every gift giving occasion?

:D Something like that lol but it's all good sput, we were together for 10 years. I should be thankful she didn't take half when she left. :rofl:

prodigydud
04-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by variance

shitty man, in this sitatuation doesnt the ring normally get returned to you though?

It depends....my understanding is that if she broke up with you => you keep the ring, however if you broke up with her => she keeps the ring.

Although, what happens after marriage? The engagement ring was intended that she would marry you...and so she did. Does that mean she keeps the ring?

cdnsir
04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Is platinum really that much better than white gold? I can never seem to figure out the difference.

benyl
04-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Something like that lol but it's all good sput, we were together for 10 years. I should be thankful she didn't take half when she left. :rofl:

Did she take the SLK55 too? I only ever saw her in that car even though I know you bought it... haha

sdevils15
04-14-2011, 02:26 PM

I just had a buddy spend $15k on his engagment ring which i know he couldnt afford(enter mommy). I think you should spend some money but nothing crazy. If you manage to stay married for a long time then splurge when you have more money.

I have a wicked gf who agree's that weddings are a waste of money as well. Money can be spent on such better things(breasts).

phreezee
04-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Sucks to be you.

Assume what you want, but general consensus is that anything less than .5 is considered a promise ring. Size does matter. A very nice .5 carat will be around $5k

I have lots of married friends who have bought anywhere from 3 carats to under half a carat... there's only one who doesn't even wear her engagement ring.

Mitsu3000gt
04-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I have lots of married friends who have bought anywhere from 3 carats to under half a carat... there's only one who doesn't even wear her engagement ring.

By far the most shallow wife of the bunch, I'm guessing?

phreezee
04-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Who am I to judge? lol

Mitsu3000gt
04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Who am I to judge? lol

Haha fair enough.

I like the idea of upgrading the ring later though. Not wearing the ring at all is a pretty clear message I guess haha.

Jlude
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
4Cs... look it up.

Clarity is a preference.

Big :bigpimp:

lol mine isn't really 'expecting' anything to be honest. We do joke around about these sort of things. Even though she says this, the way she actually is, she'd be happy with even a $500 ring if that's all I can get.

Sounds like a great girl.

I took my ex to Tiffany's store to look for rings, big mistake. HUGE markup just for the Tiffany imprint on the inside of the band.

93mr2gt
04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
bought one year ago.

1.09ct center diamond
E color, VvS2, Triple excellent cut, medium to thick griddle
8 arrows and 8 hearts

Platinum ring w/.87 ct of diamonds (forgot the 4cs)

came with appraisal

Appraised at 14k, bought for 7k.

Jlude
04-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Something like that lol but it's all good sput, we were together for 10 years. I should be thankful she didn't take half when she left. :rofl:

Yes you should be. That's what I went through with my ex.

93mr2gt
04-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

I took my ex to Tiffany's store to look for rings, big mistake. HUGE markup just for the Tiffany imprint on the inside of the band.

Ya, we went to Tiffany's in Vancouver and Seattle, almost got our wedding band there, but glad we didnt. We ended up going for a Cartier for about the same price.

ddduke
04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Get a synthetic diamond that's lab created. For real!

http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/engagement_ad4_open.php?gclid=CLyHw9zcnKgCFRFOgwodix9wIA

http://74.86.49.179/images/enagagement-landing-3.jpg

Do you or anyone else know of a local place that deals with these synthetic diamonds? somewhere that you can see them and get some information?

CapnCrunch
04-14-2011, 03:17 PM

So the only healthy relationships are the ones where you don't give each other gifts?

Thats exactly what I said, yes.

mazdavirgin
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Do you or anyone else know of a local place that deals with these synthetic diamonds? somewhere that you can see them and get some information?

Those aren't synthetic diamonds. They are chemically different from diamonds which is why they call them diamond simulants. We can't really produce synthetic diamonds of substantial size at the moment but give it another 10 years and I am sure it will be a different story.

kenny
04-14-2011, 03:52 PM
If you want to save money, get a moissanite engagement ring. Super cheap and a diamond like sparkle to boot.

93mr2gt
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
No need to go out and spend thousands if it is pushing your budget, i am sure she will understand. Save up and get her a nice ring later on when you are financial picture looks better =D

ExtraSlow
04-14-2011, 04:49 PM
paid about one month's salaray. At the time, we were saving for our first house and she would have killed me if I spent any more. Now that it's five years later and we are both much more financially secure, we have lots of better things to spend our money on.

squirtle
04-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by kenny
If you want to save money, get a moissanite engagement ring. Super cheap and a diamond like sparkle to boot.

Moissanite isn't exactly cheap either

googe
04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
If you want to do something different, check out the gemstones on this list:

http://www.curiousnotions.com/gemstones/

Some might feel slighted if they don't get a diamond, but if not, these are actually far more rare. Since they don't have cartels backing them, and are mostly sold amongst collectors, you can end up paying less than you would for a comparable diamond. I got something mentioned in that list and now she is too scared to wear it. I told her she has to give it back if things don't work out, because I know I'll never find another one :rofl:

It might not be the most expensive (still by no means cheap, unless you are 89coupe) but some are really nice looking.

Sugarphreak
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM

rx7_turbo2
04-14-2011, 07:35 PM
My wife has never been a fan of diamonds, I knew she would much prefer a sapphire. I picked out a really nice Tacori I knew she'd like, had the jeweler remove the diamond, show me a selection of sapphires, picked the one I thought was the best for the ring I had picked, and had the jeweler set the new stone.

When I picked the ring it was about $3500 with the diamond setting. I think I ended up around $2800 with the sapphire all said and done. We haven't bothered with a wedding band yet, we'll be down in the States sometime this year, think we'll take advantage of the dollar and pick up the matching band when we're down there.

bjstare
04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
+1 for costco. Bought my wife's engagement ring there.

.51 carat; paid about %10 less than the typical stores were asking (peoples, etc). On top of that, the color and clarity of the Costco diamond were both 1 higher on the scale than the comparable ones at jewellery stores for the same price and size. Costco FTW.

Also, bought the wedding band at a pawn shop. Since we went for a plain gold one, whats the point in buying new?

benyl
04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
White gold turns yellow. Platinum gets milky.

Both are rhodium plated to make them bright white.

93mr2gt
04-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I am glad i got my fiance platinum, the ring was only 1100usd when i got it, with the diamond settings.

But if money is not a HUGE conern, definitely get a diamond thats at least 1ct, it keeps its value and it is worth MUCH more

Destinova403
04-14-2011, 11:32 PM
White gold turns yellow. Platinum gets milky.

Both are rhodium plated to make them bright white.

Platinum isn't rhodium plated its just Polished. White gold needs to be polished and then re-plated usually about once a year.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Platinum is worth about $1800 an ounce right now, so it wins the prestigious award. I also find that gold will irritate my skin after a couple of days, so going with a platinum wedding band for myself was a no brainier.

High end white gold will actually be alloyed with Palladium rather than nickel so you don't need to worry about having a reaction to it, but platinum will always be the safe alternative.

Because platinum is very dense, it never thins with age, and even after being polished it doesn't lose any weight at all, gold on the other hand (white or yellow) will lose its weight when polished, and over the course of several years will start to thin out and/or become fragile.

there IS a big difference between high quality white gold and low quality white gold... and higher purity in gold is not necessarily better for jewelry, 22k for instance is so fragile its basically impossible to wear it every day as a ring.

There are advantages and dis-advantages to either metal and it comes down to personal preference in either case.

dexlargo
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Those aren't synthetic diamonds. They are chemically different from diamonds which is why they call them diamond simulants. We can't really produce synthetic diamonds of substantial size at the moment but give it another 10 years and I am sure it will be a different story. They can produce synthetic diamonds of reasonable sizes, but the problem is largely colour. If you're okay with a blue or yellow diamond and not a colourless one, you can get them. They're not as cheap as you'd think though, probably about 60-70% of the cost of a comparable natural stone.

Example sites (just grabbed these quickly, I think there are cheaper sources): http://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/lab-created-diamond-rings/
http://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/Blue-Diamonds

The second link has some white diamonds, but not of any size.

mr2mike
04-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by squirtle

Moissanite isn't exactly cheap either

The lab growing method is patented until 2015. I can see prices drop substantially after that.

l/l/rX
04-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Man reading this thread makes me feel guilty for buying my friend an $800 Tiffany & Co. ring for her bday/ grad present.

sputnik
04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
Man reading this thread makes me feel guilty for buying my friend an $800 Tiffany & Co. ring for her bday/ grad present.

SRSLY?

$800?

For a "friend"

Her boyfriend must be laughing his ass off

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljmx6sfk9c1qb7yja.png

l/l/rX
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM

SRSLY?

$800?

For a "friend"

Her boyfriend must be laughing his ass off

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljmx6sfk9c1qb7yja.png

she's single. I didn't add in there that she is my closest friend. :)

prodigydud
04-15-2011, 02:05 PM

she's single. I didn't add in there that she was my closest friend. :)

any benefits???

89coupe
04-15-2011, 02:16 PM

What? LOL, hopefully its a friend with benefits.

sputnik
04-15-2011, 02:26 PM
zywIR_ZFLts

max_boost
04-15-2011, 02:28 PM
$800 is a lot of money to spend on a closest friend without benefits :rofl:

I would have just used one of my dealfinds and taken her out for dinner instead haha

HiTempguy1
04-15-2011, 03:14 PM

she's single. I didn't add in there that she is my closest friend. :)

Bahahaha, more like friendzoned :rofl:

l/l/rX
04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
$800 is a lot of money to spend on a closest friend without benefits :rofl:

I would have just used one of my dealfinds and taken her out for dinner instead haha

haha well put it this way, I spend a lot of money on my family for christmas and their birthdays. She and her family is like my second family to me.

If it counts for anything her family lets me stay at their various places around the world including calgary. :) We share a lot of things, cars, houses, I take care of her rental properties, blah blah blah list goes on.

ReasonOne
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM

.........Wha?.....

:nut:

By responding to this thread in this manner, the assumption COULD be made that you intend to eventually marry this woman. If not, then why would you feel guilty in the first place? And why post this sort of comment in an engagement ring discussion?? It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Why not take a chance and see if a relationship of sorts can come of the situation? Or are you that afraid of possibly losing her? Using her and her family's possessions really isn't the same as hooking up with her (and getting laid).

l/l/rX
04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ReasonOne

.........Wha?.....

:nut:

By responding to this thread in this manner, the assumption COULD be made that you intend to eventually marry this woman. If not, then why would you feel guilty in the first place? And why post this sort of comment in an engagement ring discussion?? It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Point taken, but my message definitely wasn't suppose to come across like that. Just saying if I could spend that on a friend, I have some pretty high expectations in myself to spend a great deal on the woman I'll be with for the rest of my life (hopefully). The guilty part ties into some of the replies on the first page. Even if my future wife only wanted a band, I wouldn't be able to accept that and would go out and get the best I can.

Hope that cleared things up a bit. haha

mazdavirgin
04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Platonic friends? Is she ugly? Or did you get friend zoned?

http://boards.altgn.com/gallery/files/4/8/courage_wolf_she_put_you_in_friend_zone_put_her_in_rape_zone.jpg

JRSC00LUDE
04-15-2011, 04:13 PM

$800.00 seems like a bargain bin item for Tiffany, you SHOULD feel guilty you cheap bastard.

squirtle
04-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't think "low quality and high quality" gold exists. Through my understanding, nickel has been discontinued throughout much of the jewelry industry because of allergic reactions.

Platinum is whiter, harder, heavier and stronger and is more pure in content so allergic reactions don't happen as often.

However, its also much more expensive than white gold. White gold polished and re-rhodium looks identical to platinum. It's only when you've warn it for awhile and the rhodium wears off does it look unattractive.

If you want to save some money i'd recommend purchasing a white gold ring at a location that offers rhodium warranty, then you can rhodium as much as you want.

Destinova403
04-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by squirtle
I don't think "low quality and high quality" gold exists. Through my understanding, nickel has been discontinued throughout much of the jewelry industry because of allergic reactions.

Platinum is whiter, harder, heavier and stronger and is more pure in content so allergic reactions don't happen as often.

However, its also much more expensive than white gold. White gold polished and re-rhodium looks identical to platinum. It's only when you've warn it for awhile and the rhodium wears off does it look unattractive.

If you want to save some money i'd recommend purchasing a white gold ring at a location that offers rhodium warranty, then you can rhodium as much as you want.

What I meant was that gold alloyed with Palladium is much more expensive to produce so budget jewelry producers will use nickel. Nickel is still widely used in the jewelry market in North America (it cant be used in europe due to laws in place to prohibit it) No laws to eliminate nickel exist in North America and the alergy (largely prevalent in Scandanavian populations) is not as prevalent here as it is in Europe.

Platinum is indeed harder than PURE gold, but 14k or even 18k gold alloyed with paladium is actually harder and more scratch resistant than Platinum. Platinum tends to become dull much faster than white gold, however white gold will lose its color and Platinum wont, thus requiring rhodium plating after being polished. The difference is that when you polish/refinish platinum it never loses any weight, whereas gold will thin out. This makes platinum a better candidate for long term (many years) wear.

EDIT: I worked in high end jewelry for a few years until very recently so im trying to dispel some of the myths.

dirtsniffer
07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
BUMP.. anyone have any experience with jewlery stores in vegas? if i can get a good deal on a ring it would be shweeet.

im looking for a nice quality .5 karat solitaire, found a nice one in town for 4000. how much negotiating is there in that? how about down in vegas? i was told to offer 2/3 of asking lol

nzwasp
07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
about 8k

I guess its about right.

14k white gold ring (seems to be more yellow gold plated rhodium though) - 0.93 carat princess cut diamond (i think - its the round one) D color - VVS1

where did you buy?
Independent Jewellers Edmonton

The edge of the diamond (girdle) is very brittle - my wifes one has already chipped a bit. Make sure if you are getting white gold to make sure that its palladium or platinum plated instead of rhodium.

sputnik
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
about 8k

I guess its about right.

14k white gold ring (seems to be more yellow gold plated rhodium though) - 0.93 carat princess cut diamond (i think - its the round one) D color - VVS1

where did you buy?
Independent Jewellers Edmonton

The edge of the diamond (girdle) is very brittle - my wifes one has already chipped a bit. Make sure if you are getting white gold to make sure that its palladium or platinum plated instead of rhodium.

I call BS.

Either your diamond specs are WAY lower or you bought that ring in the early 80s.

A diamond alone of that calibre would be around $10,000 from a broker, never mind set on a ring and from a jeweler (with a 200% markup).

littledan
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
what does everyone think of the dream diamonds by hearts on fire? my future wifey really likes the offset solitaire setting they offer, and these diamonds sparkle like crazy! unfortunately the price is sick. for a 1.3 ct i'm looking around 22k just for the stone. Is there anywhere that offers a nice machine cut setting that is similar? I can get a cushion cut or princess cut from the wholesaler for around 13k. looking for around an F color, VS1-2, best cut.

Maybelater
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Man reading this thread makes me feel guilty for buying my friend an $2 candy ring from 7-11 for her bday when I was eight

ddduke
07-07-2011, 04:10 PM

I call BS.

Either your diamond specs are WAY lower or you bought that ring in the early 80s.

A diamond alone of that calibre would be around $10,000 from a broker, never mind set on a ring and from a jeweler (with a 200% markup).

I was at Spence not too long ago and while the price wasn't quite $8000 there were rings with almost identical specs (slightly bigger rock) that could be had for $11k after taxes and everything.

nzwasp
07-07-2011, 07:55 PM

I call BS.

It was on sale with them, and it was appraised at 10k

I bought it in 2009.
it may of been VVS2 - i'll have to double check the specs. It was a canadian diamond too.