PDA

View Full Version : Valley Ridge

jhfreedom
04-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Just wondering how the neighborhood is there. Is Valley Ridge a desirable community to live in(I am not going to compare it to the prestigious neighborhoods)? At least decent enough to live in? How is it's location for schools, amenities, proximity to downtown?

I remember being there long time ago but I'm not 100% familiar of the area.

If you guys wouldn't mind sharing your pros and cons about the area, it would be awesome since I am heading down there today to go look at a listing.

djdragan
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Its a nice enough neighbourhood. My wife and I looked at a few houses there when we were in the market about 1.5 years ago. It is quiet with some very nice houses. The major drawback for us was the lack of schools and commercial/retail space in the area (no grocery/convenience store, gas station, restaurants etc...). I think the closest would be in Bowness or Tuscany.

smurfette
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Use to live in Valley Ridge, very good area, quiet and about 15 mins from downtown. closest amenities is Crowfoot or Bowness.

jhfreedom
05-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by djdragan
Its a nice enough neighbourhood. My wife and I looked at a few houses there when we were in the market about 1.5 years ago. It is quiet with some very nice houses. The major drawback for us was the lack of schools and commercial/retail space in the area (no grocery/convenience store, gas station, restaurants etc...). I think the closest would be in Bowness or Tuscany.

Yep, I thought the same thing too before I purchased the house. That new strip mall has a convenience store. Wish it was a Safeway...

Anyways, I ended up purchasing the house because I thought it was still a too good of a deal to pass on. I am a bit concerned that my house is on the lower range of prices compared to some others in the neighborhood (This is including condos as well) but if I can't sell it in the future, I'll live in it.

Love the fact that the neighborhood is quiet yet still close to downtown. People seem to be very friendly as well.

rob the knob
05-08-2011, 11:44 AM
what is the average drive in winter in rush hour to and from downtown?

i am curious how you say this is close to downtown as this one of the furthest west neighbourhoods in calgary.

Originally posted by jhfreedom

Love the fact that the neighborhood is quiet yet still close to downtown. People seem to be very friendly as well.

davidI
05-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by jhfreedom

I am a bit concerned that my house is on the lower range of rices compared to some others in the neighborhood (This is including condos as well) but if I can't sell it in the future, I'll live in it.

My grandfather was a builder and he always said that it's better to have the cheapest house in an expensive neighbourhood than the most expensive house in a cheap neighbourhood. I think there's a lot of truth behind that statement.

jhfreedom
05-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob
what is the average drive in winter in rush hour to and from downtown?

i am curious how you say this is close to downtown as this one of the furthest west neighbourhoods in calgary.

Not too sure since I am not familiar with Calgary. When it was nice outside, it only took me about 15-20 minutes to get into downtown and that was around rush hour after work.

But then, I was going into the city at that time so I wouldn't be able to tell exactly.

Winter months I am not sure either but have been told that it takes about 40 minutes.

Yes it is one of the furthest west neighborhoods in the city. However, Trans-Canada takes you close to downtown. Correct me if I am wrong.

davidI
05-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Trans-Canada doesn't really take you close to downtown, but there are numerous routes you can take to get there.

It used to take me 30-40 minutes from Bowness on the Express bus so I'd be guessing 20-30 minutes from Valley Ridge by car.

Memorial can get pretty backed up, but you can also skip the 10th street bridge and grab Bow to Crowchild, which may not be as bad once the West LRT is complete.

I used to ride my bike from Bowness too - a great ride since the pathways are so flat. It's downhill on the way into work as well so you don't have to worry about sweating. Valley Ridge is certainly a possible ride, but another option is always to drive down to that parking lot where the bridge across to Edworthy Park is and bike from there. Loads of people do it. There are several options from parking lots along the way to park and bike.

vrsc400
05-19-2011, 02:55 AM
I live in Valley Ridge! It's a nice enough neighborhood but there are the douche bags and ass holes like all communities have.
As far as the commute downtown goes it really depends on what time of the day but usually between 20-30 minutes during the busier times of the day. Its possible to get downtown in 10 minutes when there is very light traffic.
Winter time probably adds 10-15 minutes unless its the morning after a major snowfall.

ryder_23
05-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by djdragan

I lived in my buddies house 4 years ago in Valley Ridge, and they had grocery/convenience/gas (not so much grocery but an all in one) pizza 73, restaurant, hair dresser, Liquor store, prob forgetting what else was in there. Took me less than 10 minutes to SAIT/ U of C in traffic. Once again 4-5 years ago now, maybe its not there anymore.