PDA

View Full Version : References - Job Finding

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
04-15-2011, 02:42 PM
So in reference to job finding, would it be extremely hard to find a job without giving references?

For example applying a position in Tim Hortons.

My current background consist of a Highschool Diploma, a certificate from SAIT in Sterile Processing. My other job experinces are NYF, Quiznos and Hospital for SPD.

I haven't exactly kept in contact with my old supervisors.

I am still going to school.

J-hop
04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
references are always hard, generally (as you probably know) they can't be friends or family. Profs are a great place to start, I recently had to approach two of my professors for references and they were both more that willing to do so (also helps to have good academic performance). If you are still going to school start building up a rapport with your professors any way you can, ie: asking questions, discussing their previous work (they always love that!) and participate as much as you can so they identify you as a name and not 1/100 students in their class. For example almost every one of my professors throughout my degree knew me by name even in classes of 70+ people. Also if you've have a good track record with your employers they will likely still give you a reference even if its been years (just contacted my old manager yesterday I hadn't seen in 4 years and he offered to give me a reference).

But now back to your main question. I've never had to provide references for any of my jobs (dock worker, painter, car prep and floor sales) until my most recent job which is downtown. A place like Tim Hortons probably won't even ask for references (they are likely more concerned whether or not you are a convicted criminal) and even if they do you can probably just list family friends and you'll be ok. However if you are apply for a non-entry position or at an oil company (for example) they are going to want references for sure and they won't consider friends/family.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
04-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am still in the midst of retaking my highschool courses inorder to obtain a credit in my sciences. I was an idiot back in highschool and never took biology,physics, or chemistry. However, I still did pass highschool.

So I don't think I would be able to obtain a reference from my "professor". To be honest, chinook college teachers are not the most enthusiastic teachers in the world. Some are even down right narcissist.

I can still show my certificates from SAIT and my Highschool Diploma, would that help in my interview?

M.alex
04-17-2011, 11:04 AM
There a number of ways to get around references.

For example, what one of the guys I used to work with did was get a cheap cell phone, register it under a different name, then use that as one of his references - nobody's going to be a better reference than yourself, heh. (this may not work though if your voice is easily distinguishable on the phone)

Alternatively get a friend to fake a business, use their number and use them as a reference saying you did (insert made up stuff here) for their (fake) business

Or paypal me some money I'll say you work for my investment management corporation - wana be an oil&gas analyst? :D

The only time it may run into trouble is the firm employs one of those agencies that fact-checks resumes. But most don't bother......even though you need them, references today are really useless because of FOIP+the fact you arn't (hopefully) going to give a reference that will slam you.

J-hop
04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
actually due to defamation of character you would be hard pressed to find someone stupid enough to slam you when giving a reference. Any intelligent individual (if they don't believe you are a decent worker/person) will say no when you ask for a reference so they don't put themselves in that position.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
04-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I realize that certain jobs don't require references. However, hospitality- restaurant jobs almost ask for my reference list -_-;;;

@ M.alex I am not that type of person and I wouldn't go all the way to that point.

JBreaks
04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
References have been easily the single most important thing in developing my career (Analyst in O&G ironically...)

These references were obtained by developing a legitimate relationship with people in positions senior to myself. If you have a good connection with someone at work who has observed your skills and development, make the effort to take them to coffee, lunch at times, stay in touch when you leave that position. Key to this being that the opportunity to provide assistance goes both ways. Say you're current boss needs his/her brakes done and this is routine for you, maybe its worth your 1 hour on a Saturday morning to donate your skills and win a glowing reference or two when it really counts.

If you don't have references currently. Try to provide a "character" reference from somebody who knows you well but is not your parents. Consider your gf's dad potentially if its an option. They will be able to speak to your reliability, determination ect.

If you are a unethical, greasy fool who lies, cheats and got fired from your Walmart cart pusher job for stealing change from the donation tins... then you've F*cked urself already, you should consider moving to another city/province.