PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a bathroom fan motor?

ee2k
04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
I live in a rental condo where the bathroom fan has problems and is making a very loud grinding noise. It's run like this for a while and I believe it is past its repair state and needs to be replaced.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement motor for such fans? I looked at Home Depot and see that what they have is mostly geared towards house bathrooms where one has access to the attic etc. I understand that we have a shared exhaust system, and I am not about to go suggest a redo of the whole infrastructure. This little sucker that I have is a motor with a plug and a plastic blower wheel on top of it (seriously, I don't know how to describe it). I enclose a picture.

The motor is a Nutone model 82-41-05-11 LR5304, 80695 Fan Duty TP-1 with a 3.5" diameter and a height of 2.35".

sneek
04-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I had the same issue. I would call ahead to make sure they have it, but they should have it. There is a place next door that sells similar items as well.

Fans & Motors Supply
3431 12 St NE, Calgary, AB T2E 6S6, Canada
Near intersection with 34 Avenue Northeast
Category:Electric Motor Store

EDIT: Call ahead to make sure they have what you are looking for (403) 230-2727

ee2k
04-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately that place is closed on the weekend, but will call them on Monday.

IggyB
04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
There's an Reliable Parts store in Phillis Park.

From Macleod turn towards Chinook LRT station. Keep going East until you drive under the Phillips Park sign arches and take immediate right in the parking lot.

http://www.reliableparts.ca/locations/AB (Reliable)

eblend
04-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Shouldn't the landlord be fixing this?

danno
04-17-2011, 09:10 AM
make sure the fan isn't hitting anything, often you'll here a grinding noise when the fan is hitting drywall or the housing of the unit. plug it in while holding it then turn it on that will tell you if you need a new one or not.

Kloubek
04-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Insist to the landlord that they replace this. It should not be your responsibility.

frozenrice
04-17-2011, 11:07 AM
You could check habitat for humanity renew store for a used one. Nutone is a fairly common brand and shouldn't differ too much from model to model for the most part. Out of curiosity how old is the place? It seems weird that the bath fans share a common vent.

ee2k
04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks all for the replies. The landlady and I have an arrangement whereby I am free to fix or replace such things and bill her for it. I could put her on notice and wait for it to get done, but given that she travels lots for work and that I am a non-needy tenant, I have decided to take this on myself. It's too easy of a task for me to arrange a meetup with a handyman or wait for her to be in town and hunt this down herself (she'd be as clueless if notmore than I avout it).

The place is from the 70s I believe.

ee2k
04-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by sneek
I had the same issue. I would call ahead to make sure they have it, but they should have it. There is a place next door that sells similar items as well.

Fans & Motors Supply
3431 12 St NE, Calgary, AB T2E 6S6, Canada
Near intersection with 34 Avenue Northeast
Category:Electric Motor Store

EDIT: Call ahead to make sure they have what you are looking for (403) 230-2727

Thanks for the lead. I called and asked about it, but was too complicated to explain what it was that I was looking for. They suggested that I bring the unit in, which I did, and they had a replacement part for me. They needed to grid a couple of things and cut out an item or two, which they did within a few minutes. Also, I had taken in the whole unit, including the encasing and the attached blower which I could not take apart for some reason, and they took care of it all.

Total cost was $32, which is much lower than what I had seen at another supplier's website (AMRE Supply for $98) or even Amazon for $50US.

I now have a quiet fan ... and my landlady, who was to have someone else look at it first, get the parts and install it has nothing but dropping a cheque in the mail to worry about.

sneek
04-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ee2k

Thanks for the lead. I called and asked about it, but was too complicated to explain what it was that I was looking for. They suggested that I bring the unit in, which I did, and they had a replacement part for me. They needed to grid a couple of things and cut out an item or two, which they did within a few minutes. Also, I had taken in the whole unit, including the encasing and the attached blower which I could not take apart for some reason, and they took care of it all.

Total cost was $32, which is much lower than what I had seen at another supplier's website (AMRE Supply for $98) or even Amazon for $50US.

I now have a quiet fan ... and my landlady, who was to have someone else look at it first, get the parts and install it has nothing but dropping a cheque in the mail to worry about.

Great to hear. These guys are awesome! I was so satisfied with how cheap they were that I replaced several other fans in my house. 3 fans cost me about $80 :)