PDA

View Full Version : Bacon: Friend or Foe?

CUG
04-16-2011, 02:31 PM
I've heard several people, who I believe to be in pretty good shape, say that bacon is a great thing to eat.. so I bought quite a bit of it. What's the catch? Is this a miracle food, because that would be awesome.

AudiPWR
04-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I eat bacon and eggs every day and I am in great shape.
You burn most of the fat off when you cook it, so it really isn't that bad. ( I cook mine in a foreman and the drip tray is full of greese/fat after 12-14 strips lol)

I've been buying turkey bacon recently because it is simply delicious and a little bit better for you.

OU812
04-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
I eat bacon and eggs every day and I am in great shape.
You burn most of the fat off when you cook it, so it really isn't that bad. ( I cook mine in a foreman and the drip tray is full of greese/fat after 12-14 strips lol)

I've been buying turkey bacon recently because it is simply delicious and a little bit better for you.

Wrong....Turkey bacon is full of sodium

lellowrx7
04-16-2011, 03:10 PM
7Xc5wIpUenQ

J-hop
04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by OU812

Wrong....Turkey bacon is full of sodium

compare the fat content, calories and amount of protein from turkey bacon vs regular pork bacon and you'll see turkey bacon is healthier.

But if you are comparing low fat, low sodium, nitrite free pork bacon to turkey bacon then you are probably right, but I doubt anyone goes to that extreme a length just to get their bacon.

Khyron
04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I like turkey bacon, but that instant microwave PC choice stuff is delicious and low cal - great for putting on a burger or something.

CUG
04-16-2011, 03:50 PM
So overall, do you guys believe that eating 5 strips of bacon is healthier than eating say, a pancake, or two slices of toast?

kvg
04-16-2011, 03:57 PM
:drool: Bacon is made of magic!!! Really if it was bad for you would it stop you from eating it?

J-hop
04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by CUG
So overall, do you guys believe that eating 5 strips of bacon is healthier than eating say, a pancake, or two slices of toast?

That is a tough call, none of them are a good breakfast. 5 strips of bacon is also a lot of bacon to be eating unless your 250+lbs lol.

pancakes don't really have any food value to them, maybe a little bit of protein if you make them with an egg but the rest are carbs that won't give you much energy. Toast isn't the best either unless you are going with natural peanut butter and aren't loading it with sugar filled jam. If you are buying smooth skippy crap or any of the kraft lineup its more of a candy meal than anything.

I guess at least with the bacon you are getting some protein and it might stick with you longer than pancakes or toast would but still 5 strips is too much for a daily intake.

Adrenaline101
04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Go watch all of those epic meal time videos from those guys. I think my heart stopped momentarily a few times.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

5 strips of bacon is also a lot of bacon to be eating unless your 250+lbs lol.

I'm fucked.

lellowrx7
04-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
Go watch all of those epic meal time videos from those guys. I think my heart stopped momentarily a few times.

some of those looked delicious though! haha

The only thing i dont like about turkey bacon is it smells like real bacon the whole time. just such an off taste. its really not that bad though.

lint
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I'm fucked.

according to Daily Burn, 5 strips of bacon is 220 cals, 17.5g fat and 14.5g protein. don't worry about it

taemo
04-16-2011, 08:52 PM
from the Random Picture thread
http://i.imgur.com/qk6PP.jpg

CUG
04-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by lint

according to Daily Burn, 5 strips of bacon is 220 cals, 17.5g fat and 14.5g protein. don't worry about it I like that it's filling. I eat less during the day if I have some bacon first thing. Super filling.

J-hop
04-17-2011, 12:18 AM

according to Daily Burn, 5 strips of bacon is 220 cals, 17.5g fat and 14.5g protein. don't worry about it

my biggest concern with 5 strips of bacon is the amount of cholesterol (even if it is the healthy cholesterol to much of a good thing isn't good) and as OU812 brought up -sodium.

According to what i've read a healthy diet should have around 1000-2000mg of sodium per day. With 5 strips of bacon you will be in the 1000mg of sodium range (i believe) so you are taking in about half your suggested daily intake in one meal and right during your most dehydrated period of the day.

if you want something that sticks, If I am super hungry I take granola and mix in a few spoonfuls of natural peanut butter, that will stick with you for a while and not be full of crap like bacon is ( assuming you buy good granola, not the sugar packed crap)

Honestly I didn't know people ate bacon on a daily basis (let along consider it a meal!), I have it about once a month as its not part of a "healthy" diet IMO.

OP have you tried just throwing some ham in a frying pan in the morning, I find it tastes pretty good and I sometimes throw it on my eggs in the morning. Might be a good alternative and has about half of the sodium that bacon does

kcasement
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Well I'm not so sure about it being good for ya, but it sure is good! Now I don't eat 5 strips a day by any means, but when I do make it I eat a lot more than that. I also make my own bacon (curing, smoking, etc.) so I know what's in it, (not that that really stops me from eating processed stuff). :-) Bacon = good.

civic_stylez
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Bacon has a good protein content and although higher in sodium, it is by far the best of all breakfast meats to eat. I eat 3 eggs and bacon for breakfast everyday and it keeps me full for most of the morning. Muscle and Fitness as well as Mens Health have done numerous writeups on bacon receiving a bad reputation and support it in a regular diet within moderation.

JRSC00LUDE
04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Bacon is awesome, I have zero issues eating a whole package lol

Turkey bacon though? If you think it tastes like real bacon then I don't want to shop at your butcher. It's ok I guess if you need to watch your weight or something so badly that you're willing to sacrifice deliciousness but come on, it's the diet coke of breakfast food - Nowhere near as good as the real thing and not worth the sacrifice.

joseph
04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
^^:werd:

Isaiah
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
. . . it's the diet coke of breakfast food - Nowhere near as good as the real thing and not worth the sacrifice.
I prefer Diet Coke; I find regular Coke much too sweet. Lest we digress.

01RedDX
04-19-2011, 09:38 AM

88CRX
04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
yCrbv81SBHg

Tik-Tok
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Bacon is awesome, I have zero issues eating a whole package lol

Turkey bacon though? If you think it tastes like real bacon then I don't want to shop at your butcher. It's ok I guess if you need to watch your weight or something so badly that you're willing to sacrifice deliciousness but come on, it's the diet coke of breakfast food - Nowhere near as good as the real thing and not worth the sacrifice.

+2

We ate turkey bacon for quite awhile, and at the time I thought it was tasty. Then we bought a package of thick cut REAL bacon, and it was like someone turned my taste buds up to 11.

You can convince yourself all you want that turkey bacon is just as tasty, but you realize just how wrong you are when you go back to the real stuff.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Sometimes I eat 20+ strips haha.

J-hop
04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
haha, the way I look at turkey bacon vs real bacon, is like I look at a restaurant burger vs a big mac. You can pretend that a restaurant burger is as flavorful as a big mac but you know your just kidding yourself. Sure when you go to McDonalds the next day your taste buds get turned up to 11 but you feel like greasy fat bastard after.

msommers
04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I would much rather have Spolumbo's chicken sausages than bacon for breakfast!

nodoubtt
04-21-2011, 11:13 PM
While you can get in good shape eating bacon (for example a low carb high fat high protein diet) there are many healthier fat sources that I personally choose from instead (ie almonds walnuts olive oil and flax oil), plus the cardiovascular implications of bacon will catch up to you in future years

dunx
04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
I have no problems with it but it depends on your caloric needs/diet.

As with everything, moderation is key. A couple strips in the morning every few days is delicious and gives you something to wake up to.

mmm bacon..

Guillermo
04-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I would much rather have Spolumbo's chicken sausages than bacon for breakfast!

did you ever try the chicken sausages made by Missing Link, from the Calgary Farmer's Market? best (chicken) sausages EVAR! :drool: :drool: :drool: they have a million different kinds, and they're all good. http://www.missinglinksausage.com/

ekguy
04-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I see it as a frienemy. I cook it but it sits in the oil in the pan when i cook it so i know it's un-healthy as fuck for me. But man do I ever love me my bacon haha.

Dumbass17
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

+2

We ate turkey bacon for quite awhile, and at the time I thought it was tasty. Then we bought a package of thick cut REAL bacon, and it was like someone turned my taste buds up to 11.

You can convince yourself all you want that turkey bacon is just as tasty, but you realize just how wrong you are when you go back to the real stuff.
haha same man.
my parents raised us on turkey bacon for the longest time cause i a fat kid. then i didn't have any bacon for like 2 years and had bacon at a friends. it's like i wasn't alive for 15 years. you can't live without bacon. so damn good. i just had a massive 5 day hangover breaky mess. english muffin, bacon, eggs, grilled onions, hashbrowns and pineapple coconut juice..

i'm drooling thinking about it

msommers
04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

did you ever try the chicken sausages made by Missing Link, from the Calgary Farmer's Market? best (chicken) sausages EVAR! :drool: :drool: :drool: they have a million different kinds, and they're all good. http://www.missinglinksausage.com/

No I should check them out. I heard the new market was an absolute shitshow, so I'll likely wait a bit for it to die down.

JNeil
04-26-2011, 12:48 AM
:rofl:

msommers
04-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Well that's probably one of the dumbest posts I've read in awhile.

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0511-1001-2519-1742_Girl_Getting_a_Pat_on_the_Back_for_a_Job_Well_Done_clipart_image.jpg

wintonyk
04-26-2011, 12:17 PM
we are from canada after all. we all know that canadian bacon is far superior. less fat, less sodium, more taste.

J-hop
04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by JNeil

You sir are BORING as fuck!

Bacon's not good for you, neither is drinking booze or milk, or eating cheese. Even your beloved walnuts and flax oil (seriously?) have to be bad for you in one way or another. I've even heard rumors that chemicals in our tap water will kill you..

My grandma smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 56 years and she's still fine. I'm sure bacon of all things, is not going to hurt you that much.

Everybody dies, live a little.

this is a health and fitness forum :thumbsup: