PDA

View Full Version : Pouring cement, gravel or concrete slabs?

ReasonOne
04-16-2011, 10:12 PM
There is a section on the corner of my property next to my single car garage that I was considering laying something down so I have a spare parking spot. I was wondering what it would cost for each option and how durable each one could be as I know the slabs do break and crack over time. The space is probably 18 ft x 5 ft in size. If anyone needs more details just ask and I will try to provide them.

I also just bought an 8' x 10' shed for storage and was hoping for advice on whether I should do one of the above and have a cement pad for it to sit on or just make a simple frame based out of pressure treated wood.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also wonder how much these options would cost and are there any good contractors out there that do this.

I'm recovering from injuries from two separate car accidents so doing it myself is out.

Kloubek
04-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Getting it poured is going to cost you a ton. I wouldn't bother doing that unless you really need to for some reason. You can still put the shed on the gravel, and many come with floors. (Or it would be easy to build out out of pressure treated wood).

If it was me, that is what I would do.

qcp1
04-18-2011, 02:31 AM
pouring itself is not all that costly having it done for you is.

and no a properly prepped foundation should not crack. put down on well compacted soil about 6inches of base gravel and compact that well then add sand and recompact... lay out rebar at 16-20" criss crossed and tied and while pouring the concrete grab rebar and pull up into wet mix so that its final resting place is in the concrete not on the gravel.

ive poured myself 7 foundations and 12 slabs and never have they cracked... cracking concrete is the result of someone taking a shortcut on the stuff you dont see.

ExtraSlow
04-18-2011, 06:16 AM
a poured pad for your shed is probably overkill. just put down some PT wood and you are GTG,
for the parking spot, give some cement contractors a call. If it's easily accessible, it may not be too expensive. I've used crush concrete in the past, and was satisfied.

sillysod
04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Concrete (cement is an ingredient of concrete) is expensive. Unless you plan on staying there for a while I wouldn't bother. I did stamped pad in my yard and it was $8000.00. my garage pad was $5000.00.

Concrete slabs will always crack a little bit, but there is no way it should break down.

Under my 8x14' shed I just dug 6 pilings and made a frame out of 2x6 pressure treated and plywood. it will never move and the pilings keep it off the ground.

for the car if you dig down a bit, pack the earth and then put either gravel or asphalt if you got an extra couple bucks, it will be perfect for parking on.

theken
04-18-2011, 07:18 PM
concrete cracking is due to the shrinkage while it cures, has nothing to do with prep work. if you place your cut lines in proper places you can hope that it won't crack but concrete will crack almost guaranteed over time.

freshprince1
04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Use gravel and rent a tamper to flatten it nicely. If you want overkill, excavate down to the clay, then fill with gravel and then use a rented tamper.

Concrete is a stellar option and would solve the problem but it can get pricey. To save some money, you can do the prep work yourself. Excavate down to the clay, put in a layer of gravel, then a crosswork of steel rebar making squares about 2'x2'. You'll want the gravel about 3.5"below where you'd like the surface of the pad to be flush with.

My bro is a Sales Manager for a local Concrete Company, PM me if you'd like his info to come and quote the job.

Good luck.

LLLimit
04-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ReasonOne

I'm recovering from injuries from two separate car accidents so doing it myself is out.

Aside from that; 9'x11'x0.5' thk. pad for shed= 4.6cubic meter
What's 20mpa, air-entrained cost these days? $130/m³? Thats just concrete alone.
It's been 7 years since I've worked at Rolling Mix in Edm.

sillysod
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by LLLimit

Aside from that; 9'x11'x0.5' thk. pad for shed= 4.6cubic meter
What's 20mpa, air-entrained cost these days? $130/m³? Thats just concrete alone.
It's been 7 years since I've worked at Rolling Mix in Edm.

Looking at about $150/m³ for 20mpa now. L'aquila is newer in town and I think their prices are a little better than a lot of others.

nonofyobiz
04-25-2011, 07:43 PM
somewhat related question...

the back of my lot somehow ended up lower than my neighbors and lower than the alley, so its always a mud pit back there.

If I were to pour a concrete pad for my garage, would it be bad if I didn't excavate as much then put the gravel and sand so as to have my garage pad at a higher level?

sillysod
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
you need to have it excavated and then properly compacted.

You should have your garage minimum 4" above grade IMO. My neighbours garage is about 1" BELOW grade and it is always full of water. Water runs down the alley until it hits his property, then fills up his garage before continuing on down the alley. His entire garage is destroyed and how he has to jack and repour it.

Better to go too high.

ExtraSlow
04-26-2011, 06:36 AM
yeah, getting it high enough is crucial. My brother had a place where the garage was about even with the alley. Once the alley had an inch of ice built up, the only place for the water to go was into his garage. Brutal.