PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Key stuck door Honda Civic

NRGie
04-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I got a 96 hatchback civic and when i was leaving school earlier tonight i unlocked my door but the key get stuck in the door.

Its stuck in the right (unlock position), it wont budge at all and i dont wanna force it in case the key snaps.

This happened once before but when i put a lighter up to it, it loosened up in a matter of seconds. This time i tried a lighter and a hair dryer when i got home but still nothing.

Anyone know anything else i can try? Maybe if i leave it overnight it will loosen up? (I put it in the garage for now)

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
04-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Lube that shit up.

WD-40

NRGie
04-18-2011, 02:06 AM
I guess i gotta go grab some tomorrow. Just a quick question about what could have caused this. I left my window open just a tiny bit (not even enough room to fit your finger in) could this have somehow caused it?

Also my girlfriend went to my car today but couldnt lock it at first cause she didnt know she had to pull the handle then lock it, so she kept trying to force the lock switch to the lock position. She finally managed to lock it after the 3rd try, but could this have done something to the lock cylinder or anything?

Thanks

ShermanEF9
04-18-2011, 02:10 AM
sounds like you have ice buildup inside the lock cylinder

chkolny541
04-18-2011, 02:23 AM
lol thought this was you
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070424181022AAqNGdm

but i also can recall SOMEONE on here saying that wd-40 inside a lock can gunk up the tumblers and such, and not to do it. I cant recall the thread, so use some caution as well OP. I would say perhaps a lock de-icer may be a better idea to try first

v2kai
04-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Could also be worn tumblers in the cylinder. Putting light torque on the key and giving it a wiggle up and down can sometimes do the trick to free it up if it is worn tumblers. Try lightly turning both ways and giving the key a jostle to reposition the tumblers if it in fact that. As mentioned lock de-icer would help too.

If not might be ice, or some other form of mechanical binding with the mechanism.

Good luck.

chkolny541
04-18-2011, 02:27 AM
^agreed, ice is unlikely, but perhaps at least the de-icer might make for a good SAFE lubricant, try also sorta knocking the key around with perhaps a screw driver or small hammer while you turn it, perhaps itll free it up

NRGie
04-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Yeah tried playing around with it for about 15 minutes, but nothing happened at all. Ill get some de-icer tomorrow i guess and give that a go

NRGie
04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Got the key out by keeping a lighter close to it and wiggling it around