PDA

View Full Version : advice on losing belly

ajooo
04-19-2011, 10:30 PM
hey guys,

whats the best and quickest way to help lose my belly (beer belly, gut) and to help start gaining and showing abs. i've heard going on a good diet and doing cardio helps, but just wanted to know any other ways.

thanks

Super_Geo
04-19-2011, 10:44 PM
http://www.news.com.au/features/eight-seconds-key-to-weight-loss/story-e6frfl49-1111112869285

InRich
04-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
http://www.news.com.au/features/eight-seconds-key-to-weight-loss/story-e6frfl49-1111112869285

When I wanted to lose 30 lbs, I used something similar, except, I would go hard for 2 min and then soft for 2, for about 45 min a day, 5 days a week. I lost all the weight in 3 months, to 6% body fat.

max_boost
04-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Diet is 90% of the battle. You are what you eat.

If your diet is in check, you can lift whatever weights, do whatever exercise you want and you'll look good lol

msommers
04-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Want to be serious about it? Stop munching and stop drinking. Eat vegetables, nuts, berries and clean protein. Done.

Dumbass17
04-20-2011, 02:52 AM
oxy elite pro. made me lose my beer guy pretty easily, that and working out worked wonders

http://suppz.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/o/x/oxyelite-pro.jpg

[Yu]
04-20-2011, 03:23 AM
I'd take Max and msommers' advice.

No simple way out to these sort of things.

A790
04-20-2011, 08:01 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325343/rapid-fat-loss/

Kobe
04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by A790
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325343/rapid-fat-loss/

this is a joke right and doesn't work? I didn't bother actually reading that thread

max_boost
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

this is a joke right and doesn't work? I didn't bother actually reading that thread

It works. Now if you are obese fat, you won't get the ripped look because well, you are fat and have no muscles. However if you are moderately fit, you can get shredded in no time if you have the discipline to follow it.

Mitsu3000gt
04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Seriously just fix your diet and do tons of cardio. That is BY FAR the biggest thing that did it for me. I just lift weights to stop myself from losing muscle mass, I am not looking to get huge or anything.

It's all the little stuff that adds up while eating, like pop (the worst), sugar in your coffee 10X a day, snacking at the computer or during movies (usually don't realize how much you're eating), etc.

Seems simple, because it is. No need to go crazy with supplements or anything like that, just get off your ass and change your diet. Both of those things are the hardest to do.

flipstah
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by InRich

When I wanted to lose 30 lbs, I used something similar, except, I would go hard for 2 min and then soft for 2, for about 45 min a day, 5 days a week. I lost all the weight in 3 months, to 6% body fat.

Isn't that HIIT to a tee? It worked for some people but you have to push yourself.

I don't think so. I'm going to give it a shot in May. I WANT VISIBLE ABS!

:D

max_boost
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM
When you work out, regardless if it's weights or cardio, intensity is everything. It's about being explosive. Slow and steady is boring and gets you nowhere IMO!

JfuckinC
04-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Dude i lost 35lbs in 2.5 months haha. easy money. Now i'm eating normal/healthy as hell and i'm back up like 5lbs but i'm skinnier than before haha. Muscle mass being built :thumbsup:

RFL is a SICK way to start and get motivated. Trust me.

adidas
04-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
When you work out, regardless if it's weights or cardio, intensity is everything. It's about being explosive. Slow and steady is boring and gets you nowhere IMO!

Couldnt disagree more.

msommers
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Yaa I'm kinda with Adidas on that one as well.

max_boost
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by adidas

Couldnt disagree more.

Why is that?

Quick and high intensity movements activate your fast twitch muscles which is more efficient in building muscle. Now don't ask me for scientific proove, just google it yourself bra lol

A790
04-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Hell no. That diet worked GREAT for me :)

ZorroAMG
04-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Why is that?

Quick and high intensity movements activate your fast twitch muscles which is more efficient in building muscle. Now don't ask me for scientific proove, just google it yourself bra lol

My issue with this is that most people do not stretch properly and this method is prone to EASY injuries. Fuck up a bicep and your time off to heal more than counteracts any speedier gains that you'd see over more controlled, focused movements.

Someone, including max, correct me if i'm wrong...

A790
04-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

My issue with this is that most people do not stretch properly and this method is prone to EASY injuries. Fuck up a bicep and your time off to heal more than counteracts any speedier gains that you'd see over more controlled, focused movements.

Someone, including max, correct me if i'm wrong...
I think the method max was referring to was HIIT for cardio training, not necessarily weight training. I'll take slow, controlled motions when lifting over explosive ones any day of the week since I'm able to ensure that I'm lifting with proper form, I'm able to control the motion better, and it's less likely to cause injury.

max_boost
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Alright fair enough. I just assume everyone knew what they are doing, this is Beyond. :D

So I will rephrase what I said, depending on your fitness goals and knowledge, you can decide if low intensity or high intensity is right for you. The answer is 2 and 288 haha

Personally, for cardio it's ALWAYS high intensity. Slow pace isn't my deal. I like to do 30 seconds on, 90 seconds off for about 20-30mins total if I'm on the cross trainer. If I'm pushing prowler, I'm going all out.

As for weights, if I'm doing 65% max effort for 5-10 reps, I'm going to try to explode up as fast as I can. If I'm doing 95% max effort, well as much as I want to explode, I can't because that shit is heavy and I just have to go up slowly lol

But at the end of the day, move the weights and don't hurt yourself.

Stay strong.

BTW, I'm pushing Prowler this Saturday if anyone wants to join.

:D :D :D

scboss
04-21-2011, 03:18 PM

I think the method max was referring to was HIIT for cardio training, not necessarily weight training. I'll take slow, controlled motions when lifting over explosive ones any day of the week since I'm able to ensure that I'm lifting with proper form, I'm able to control the motion better, and it's less likely to cause injury.

Worst advice........ having strength is good but power is where its at (Strength*Speed)
If anything the warm up and cool downs are going to prevent injuries not the way you lift. Id take doing cleans and muscle ups over any exercises any day

edit
BTW only time a slow tempo is good is hypertrophy so if you want to get buff then do 4-1-2

adidas
04-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Why is that?

Cool brah.

Go lift in ur basement using slow movements and then come back and tell me what it feels like.

max_boost
04-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by adidas

Cool brah.

Go lift in ur basement using slow movements and then come back and tell me what it feels like.

I do lift slow but only on max efforts. Can't move fast when you can barely move the weight :rofl:

Darkane
04-21-2011, 05:20 PM
The goal is to accelerate the weight as fast as possible maintaining perform form.

Try to do an Olympic lift slow.

Mar
04-21-2011, 06:26 PM
You guys are going way overboard, I gain a belly every winter and lose it every summer. At the beginning of winter I was 174 pounds and now I'm 185. I keep the same diet but in the summer I pick up a few sports and it just falls off. All you have to do is be active, man (after the diet). Always take the stairs, I haven't taken an elevator in so long now that they actually make me kind of nauseous, I don't like being in them. Park farther away from the door anywhere you go. Start snowboarding, play soccer, do street hockey. Anything.

stevieo
04-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Alright fair enough. I just assume everyone knew what they are doing, this is Beyond. :D

So I will rephrase what I said, depending on your fitness goals and knowledge, you can decide if low intensity or high intensity is right for you. The answer is 2 and 288 haha

Personally, for cardio it's ALWAYS high intensity. Slow pace isn't my deal. I like to do 30 seconds on, 90 seconds off for about 20-30mins total if I'm on the cross trainer. If I'm pushing prowler, I'm going all out.

As for weights, if I'm doing 65% max effort for 5-10 reps, I'm going to try to explode up as fast as I can. If I'm doing 95% max effort, well as much as I want to explode, I can't because that shit is heavy and I just have to go up slowly lol

But at the end of the day, move the weights and don't hurt yourself.

Stay strong.

BTW, I'm pushing Prowler this Saturday if anyone wants to join.

:D :D :D

where you pushing it sam? it looks tough as hell!

ajooo
04-21-2011, 11:20 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

i am active though, workout about 3-4 times a week lifting weights. and some basketball for my cardio

will that affect losing belly fat though?

so far, its mostly just dieting and lots of cardio that are the winners of what to do.. and thats my plan right after finals are done.

how much cardio should i be doing though? 30min-1hr?

A790
04-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

Worst advice........ having strength is good but power is where its at (Strength*Speed)
If anything the warm up and cool downs are going to prevent injuries not the way you lift. Id take doing cleans and muscle ups over any exercises any day

edit
BTW only time a slow tempo is good is hypertrophy so if you want to get buff then do 4-1-2
Please, a controlled motion is hardly the "worst advice". The worst advice is telling a novice lifter to focus on speed as opposed to form. Hello inevitable injury!

turbotrip
04-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

What is 4-1-2?

scboss
04-22-2011, 05:15 AM

Please, a controlled motion is hardly the "worst advice". The worst advice is telling a novice lifter to focus on speed as opposed to form. Hello inevitable injury!

Not the worst advice but telling someone to go slow is. Power movements in general are way better for activating many muscles at once. Going slow is good for one thing only Getting Big.
4-1-2 is the tempo is how you should lift when trying to put on size 4 seconds down, 1 second pause then 2 seconds up.
When ever you are training power or strength it should be a 1-0-1 ratio.
As for this guy losing his gut its going to be almost all diet.

Slow and controlled has its place but if you want to boost weight loss activate as many muscles as you can with a high intensity. Not once did I say form was not important as the lifts I would recommend require focus on technique and form. (cleans, overhead squat etc)

If you want fast results put tons of burpees and full body stuff into your routines

Uncle Flappy
04-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Warm-up sets > stretching. Do atleast two-warmup sets with lighter weights before your working sets. Much better way to prevent injury and get you ready to lift. Stretching after your workout is better than before.

stevieo
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Flappy
Warm-up sets > stretching. Do atleast two-warmup sets with lighter weights before your working sets. Much better way to prevent injury and get you ready to lift. Stretching after your workout is better than before.

I'm doing that more now, before I would ride bike 10-15 mins, stretch 10-15 and then warm up sets then lift. now it's straight to warm up sets (2 sets) then to my lifts, after wards I finish with some hangs on the power rack to decompress my spine, stretch out for 10-15 mins, use a foam roller then I'm done for the day.

max_boost
04-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

where you pushing it sam? it looks tough as hell! Just going to push it in the Crescent Heights high school parking lot lol

It is kind of tough but if I can do it lol anyone can.

duaner
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
The goal is to accelerate the weight as fast as possible maintaining perform form.
^ This.

Newer body building techniques suggest that although the popular methods of working obviously do work, there are better, more efficient, and faster ways to get bigger and leaner. The main idea is lifting fast, whether it's with light weight or heavy weight, while maintaining good form. It isn't necessarily a technique I would suggest for beginners, as A790 has pointed out, but once one has correct technique nailed, this would be the way to go.

It has to do with with how muscle gets put into action. Iirc, and in layman's terms, almost every muscle group has small, medium, and large muscle fibers. They always fire in sequence--small, then medium, then large. Small muscle fibers are ones like in your fingers that control fine movement and can't lift much.

The two extremes in recruiting muscle fibers are lifting light weight at a slow pace and lifting heavy at a fast pace. The former begins by recruiting small and medium muscle fibers, and doesn't activate the large muscle fibers (the ones you essentially want for size) until the others are fatigued (the last couple of reps or so). The latter (heavy and fast) begins with recruiting all the muscle fibers from the very first rep. As soon as form cannot be maintained or the last rep was noticeably slower than the one before, the large muscle fibers are fatigued and the set ends. It isn't a matter of reps/set but rather overall number of reps regardless of how many sets it takes. With this last way, one is constantly recruiting as much muscle fiber as possible, resulting in quicker gains.

As for stretching, it seems as though it actually signals the brain that it is time to relax. Not exactly what you want before you exercise.

That is the gist of it anyway and is all taken from Huge in a Hurry by Chad Waterbury (I may not have remembered the physiological side of it accurately). A great read, if only for someone who wants to try something different and get out of a rut.