PDA

View Full Version : Accident/Insurance advice

CMW403
04-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Keep in mind I've never been in an accident or had to deal with one in my life.

Last night I was parked at my friends house and long story short one of them had to leave and backed into my car (picture attached).

He says he wants to go through insurance because he just bought a house and can't afford to pay me. Do you guys think this will be written off? 99 Prelude with 183000km, it was in otherwise excellent condition.

I basically just need advice on what steps to take at this point.

..*JDM Hatch*..
04-20-2011, 05:28 PM
How much do you have the car insured for? and what is the value of the car?

ercchry
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
thats probably close to write off status... insurance is going to cost your friend in the long run... maybe he can hand over the keys to his car? :rofl:

rob the knob
04-20-2011, 05:43 PM
report it to police NOW.
take the car to two bodyshops of your choice and get two estimates. tell him you will give him 5 days to give you cash for the amount of the lower estimate. if he doesnt pay cash in that time, then you make a claim with your insurance company and report his information to your company.

otherways, you will fukced. your friend will tell you he will pay next week then the week after. then he will say he needs to wait for tax refund. then it will be too late to claim insurance and your friend will claim he didnt even hit your car and doesnt know what you are talking about.

you will no longer be friends with your friend and you will be forced to take him to court and you might not even prove your case.

cash now or insurance claim now. no other option

btimbit
04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
report it to police NOW.
take the car to two bodyshops of your choice and get two estimates. tell him you will give him 5 days to give you cash for the amount of the lower estimate. if he doesnt pay cash in that time, then you make a claim with your insurance company and report his information to your company.

otherways, you will fukced. your friend will tell you he will pay next week then the week after. then he will say he needs to wait for tax refund. then it will be too late to claim insurance and your friend will claim he didnt even hit your car and doesnt know what you are talking about.

you will no longer be friends with your friend and you will be forced to take him to court and you might not even prove your case.

This.

Whatever you do, do ASAP

CMW403
04-20-2011, 05:53 PM
thats probably close to write off status... insurance is going to cost your friend in the long run... maybe he can hand over the keys to his car?

haha I wish, he drives a beautifully modded black 2010 Harley Davidson F-150.

report it to police NOW.

We already agreed we were going through insurance because he can't afford to pay me cash.

I'll be going to make a police report tonight, and I should be calling my insurance company tomorrow?

Tik-Tok
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
report it to police NOW.

Uhhhh....

Originally posted by CMW403

He says he wants to go through insurance

Yeah, sounds like a pretty untrustworthy guy. How DARE he suggest to go through insurance :rofl:

I'll be going to make a police report tonight, and I should be calling my insurance company tomorrow?

Most insurance places have 24/7 claim lines. Do the police report first though, so you have that number for your insurance.

ExtraSlow
04-20-2011, 09:05 PM
was he hammered? looks like he was rubbing his tires along the car for a long ways. . . . .

CMW403
04-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
was he hammered? looks like he was rubbing his tires along the car for a long ways. . . . .

No, he wasn't hammered. He just has really big tires.

I made a police report and I'm going to make a claim tomorrow.

CMW403
04-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Can somebody walk me through the insurance process once I make a claim?

Do I have to take the car to get quotes and then present them to the insurance company? Or do they do their own assessment?

bastardchild
04-21-2011, 06:34 PM

haha I wish, he drives a beautifully modded black 2010 Harley Davidson F-150.

We already agreed we were going through insurance because he can't afford to pay me cash.

Doesn't have money yet bought a house & drives a 2010 F-150 HD Edition?

I will never understand some people.

Make sure you call your insurance & have them deal with it right away because this guy is clearly living beyond his means not being able to pay you a few grand for repairs.

CMW403
04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by bastardchild

Doesn't have money yet bought a house & drives a 2010 F-150 HD Edition?

I will never understand some people.

Make sure you call your insurance & have them deal with it right away because this guy is clearly living beyond his means not being able to pay you a few grand for repairs.

He's actually got his shit worked out, this just came at a really bad time for him. If it was any other day he would give me cash, and I have no problems with going through insurance.

The worst part about this is that it puts stress on our friendship, things like this really suck in that department.

Again, can someone walk me through the insurance process?

lilmira
04-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Phone your insurance for a claim, tell them when, where and who. Tell them the police collision report number. They'll tell you to get an estimate for the repair either at a bodyshop or appraiser. They'll be in touch with you once they have all the info to process your claim. Something like that.

dirtsniffer
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
dont tell your insurance company shit. they'll ding you for doing leg work.

get his policy number, call his insurance company and contact the claims department, open a claim against his policy number.
trust me, there is no reason to inform your insurance provider

403Gemini
04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
dont tell your insurance company shit. they'll ding you for doing leg work.

get his policy number, call his insurance company and contact the claims department, open a claim against his policy number.
trust me, there is no reason to inform your insurance provider

What do you mean "Ding you for leg work" ? The accident will be coded 0% at fault for the OP and he won't have any headaches.

If he calls his friends insurance company, they may be hesitant to give him a rental, and if he has rental coverage on his own policy least he'll have a vehicle.

OP, its simple,

Get your friends insurance company name & his policy number.

Call your insurance company with your policy number and all of his info ON HAND. Do a statement, provide his info, they'll either ask for you to go to a body shop of their choice to get a price/quote(or determine if its a write off), or they'll send out an appraiser.

Once they get that back they'll either get the repairs done or send you a cheque for the write off value. They will then subrogate against your friends insurance company and get the money back that was paid out on your policy.

CMW403
04-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

What do you mean "Ding you for leg work" ? The accident will be coded 0% at fault for the OP and he won't have any headaches.

If he calls his friends insurance company, they may be hesitant to give him a rental, and if he has rental coverage on his own policy least he'll have a vehicle.

OP, its simple,

Get your friends insurance company name & his policy number.

Call your insurance company with your policy number and all of his info ON HAND. Do a statement, provide his info, they'll either ask for you to go to a body shop of their choice to get a price/quote(or determine if its a write off), or they'll send out an appraiser.

Once they get that back they'll either get the repairs done or send you a cheque for the write off value. They will then subrogate against your friends insurance company and get the money back that was paid out on your policy.

Thanks man.

I thought that guy may be out to lunch telling me to call my friends insurance company. I was under the impression that both insurance companies deal with each other in this situation so I don't have to.

I went over and got his policy number and VIN and everything so I'm going to go ahead and make the claim tomorrow.

dirtsniffer
04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
do what ever you want homeboy. my brother was in two accidents neither of which were his fault and his insurance company raised his rates.

i have a few family members in insurance and when i was involved in a colision they all advised me not to contact my provider.

first link on google for 'increased premiums for not at fault colisions'
http://www.autoinsurancequote.com/articles/why-no-fault-accidents-may-still-mean-an-increase-in-auto-insurance-premiums.html

forth hit
http://www.mycarinsurancerates.com/why-car-insurance-rate-premiums-increase-after-no-fault-accidents/

Claim Frequency & Premiums
It's always disturbing to see a claim in your file if you don't think you were at fault. Generally speaking, insurers won't penalize policyholders for their first accidents when they're not at fault.

Unfortunately, the same does not hold true when the number of claims and total indemnities rise, and most insurers will then increase premiums. Also remember that many companies give discounts to policyholders who have never made a claim. This discount is lost as of the first claim, regardless of whether you were responsible for the accident or not.

Your premium hike may be due to a variety of reasons: lost discount, the number of claims you have had, or how much at fault you were deemed to be in your accidents.
taken from:
http://www.infoassurance.ca/en/faq/automobile.aspx#aq2

if you contact his insurer directly you'll get a rental no problem. once again, do what ever you want. talking to an adjuster with your company will be no different than talking to an adjuster with his company.

well reading your post again im assuming you made the claim already, oh well.

tom_9109
04-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Looks like the car could go either way. If they source parts correctly it could be repairable. If they can't find what they need and go new OEM chances are its toast.

Since he's being good about it there is nothing to worry about. Sit back, relax and just do what they ask you to. Don't bother with going to get multiple estimates.

Wait until his company suggests you go to one of their DRP shops for a single estimate or ask them to send an appraiser.

Nothing to worry about here.