PDA

View Full Version : hydrolock or needs to be dried out?

03ozwhip
04-23-2011, 11:39 AM
so i sold the integra to a friend of mine and the day after he got it, he washed it. he also washed the engine :eek: i guess he didnt know anything about hydrolock as he has done this on previous cars in the past with no issue.

it wouldnt start, so he let it sit overnight then it drove fine all day yesterday and now its sputtering again today. i told him to check the plugs and he says there is definitely moisture in there.

is this hydrolocked or does it just need to be dried out or is there something else that he may need to try? TIA.

BMDUBS
04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Its not hydrolocked. That is when water enters the combustion chamber. If it ran yesterday, get him to drive it to get the engine to heat right up. Hit the highway for 30 mins in 4th gear to keep the engine working and that should dry up the residual moisture. probably water in the spark plug boots.

corsvette
04-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Sounds like Water in the distributor cap, remove the cap and dry it out.

dimi
04-23-2011, 11:51 AM
The first thing I was told to do when your engine might have sucked water in is to remove plugs and crank your engine. :dunno:

Unknown303
04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
It's not hydrolocked. If he was able to drive it all day yesterday then there is no way there's moisture still in the cylinders.

Most likely distributor or Throttle position sensor is wet. the TPS is a very common one to ruin with water on Jeeps and it makes they sputter and drive very very irratically.

Shlade
04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
did he pressure wash it? if so hes a fucking idiot.

There IS a fucking specific engine cleaner at the car washes that is safe to use under the hood.

03ozwhip
04-23-2011, 12:36 PM
^^^ya he did. like i said, he thought it was ok, he never heard of hydrolock and he never had a problem with doing it before. now he knows lol thanks for the help guys.

CelicaST-162
04-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS
Its not hydrolocked. That is when water enters the combustion chamber. If it ran yesterday, get him to drive it to get the engine to heat right up. Hit the highway for 30 mins in 4th gear to keep the engine working and that should dry up the residual moisture. probably water in the spark plug boots.

Fantastic advice. :facepalm:

Rat Fink
04-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Disoblige
04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Similar to what Rat Fink said, pull the plug boots out. I would let it dry overnight after using compressed air. Car should start normally the next day.

03ozwhip
04-29-2011, 07:35 PM
he changed the plugs and it seemd to be running fine but for the last few days now its actualy having a hard time starting. he said it kind of sounds like the starter but im thinking maybe something to do with wet ignition or solenoid or something. im thinking this is all part of the same issue since it had 0 issues when i sold it. any ideas?