PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 4Runner vs. Nissan Pathfinder

wbaxter
04-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Anyone have first-hand experiences with these two vehicles? Looking for the Good/bad/ugly on 2007-ish models.

mugensix
04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
They are both pretty great vehicles.
Ive noticed the Pathfinder to be the uglier of the two.
Reliability, they are neck and neck, power, i think they both only come withv6's now, dont quote me though.

Id go for the 4runner, they hold value better, look nicer, and seem to be bulletproof/

tch7
04-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Driven both, and owned a few 4Runners. Would definitely go for the 4Runner, as I prefer everything about them and they feel a bit more refined overall (that generation does at least, not so much with the 2010+ years...).

DonJuan
04-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Toyotas v6 is seriously underpowered for the chassis, it feels like its struggling to move it around. Better gearing might solve this, but toyota tried to solve this North american style by tossing in a v8. It is absolutely brutal on fuel, but is the better option if u dont care too much about milage. The v6 is still fairly bulletproof. As with most toyotas, its the automatic tranny that can somtimes cause problems when not maintained.

The v6 in the Pathfinder is much more suited to the vehicle, drives better and cheaper to find used. Eventhough the v6 was plenty good, nissan offered a slightly detuned version of the 5.6 from the titan in it. Totally unnecessary and pretty rare as a result. Offered only 1 year and equally bad on fuel as toyotas v8 if not worse. I have heard of some relatively minor issues with this v8, but still good. The 3.5 v6 is bullet proof as is the 4.0 version.

The pathfinder would be the cheaper option, and just as good as the 4Runner, but as previously mentioned not quite as good looking. Dont forget to look at the QX4 either (2006 was the last year I think).

oupzwrongthread
04-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Check out xterra's...great motor, tranny and decent suspension.

nobb
04-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Both are terrific vehicles and should be very reliable. If it was a new vehicle, Id pick the 4Runner just because it's roughly the same price and holds value much better. It would also be a good choice if you dont plan on keeping it that long.

However, for a used vehicle with the same budget...you can often get a better suv with lower km's on it if you choose the Pathfinder. Alot of these Toyota trucks/suvs are seriously overvalued. There really isnt anything significant that one can do and the other cannot. You could also look at the Infiniti equivalents which can be picked up for roughly the same price as a 4Runner but with more luxuries.

In the end, just drive both and see which one you like.

CapnCrunch
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by nobb
Both are terrific vehicles and should be very reliable. If it was a new vehicle, Id pick the 4Runner just because it's roughly the same price and holds value much better. It would also be a good choice if you dont plan on keeping it that long.

However, for a used vehicle with the same budget...you can often get a better suv with lower km's on it if you choose the Pathfinder. Alot of these Toyota trucks/suvs are seriously overvalued. There really isnt anything significant that one can do and the other cannot. You could also look at the Infiniti equivalents which can be picked up for roughly the same price as a 4Runner but with more luxuries.

In the end, just drive both and see which one you like.

+1.

msommers
04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm in the same boat and having a hard time coughing up the obvious extra for a 4Runner. I'm actually looking more at Grand Cherokees as of late.

nissanguy
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Buy a Nissan

Xtrema
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
http://newstabulous.com/nissan-recalls-196000-vehicles/10037/

I know you are looking at 2007 but beware of Pathfinder older than 2003.

wbaxter
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Good advice!

Originally posted by msommers
I'm in the same boat and having a hard time coughing up the obvious extra for a 4Runner. I'm actually looking more at Grand Cherokees as of late.

I am actually getting out of a Grand Cherokee and hope to move into either the 4Runner or Pathfinder. My GC has been a total dud - there has always been something wrong with it!

MM99lude
04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I was in this same situation just over year ago and having shopped around myself for months -- test driving, reading, test driving, contemplating, I ended up buying a 2006 Limited V6 4Runner. It was a fantastic decision.

As mentioned above the 4Runners hold their value better... but aesthetically speaking and performance wise, there is no comparison in my mind.

I found the seats more comfortable (fully adjustable leather including lumbar and heat for the winters), the dash layout more appealing, the exterior was significantly nicer, I didn't find the V6 under powered at all - and I drive highway everyday for work. I installed a touch screen DVD/GPS/CD etc. unit which, along with with stock dark wood grain finish really modernized the look of the dash, HID upgrade (2006+ comes with projectors) and voilą - amazing truck.

Another huge feature which you will notice if you spend time test driving a number of SUV is the same class, is that the (Limited at least) feels like a luxury sedan, even with the solid rear end. It drivers smoother than my fathers 2008 G.C. and hell of a lot nicer than any GM/Chev.

If it was me in that situation I would choose the 4Runner again in a heart beat!