PDA

View Full Version : New Mattress

bignerd
04-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Not sure if this is health or home??

Anyhow, looking for a new mattress and looking for some opinons and experiences.

Husband is about 220lbs with back issues, I am smaller, about 120 lbs.
He likes a firmer mattress to support his weight while I need something softer in order to sink into it and get any kind of support or I just "float" on top.

The last bed was a Serta Perfect sleeper with a pillow top which are amazingly comfortable for the first couple of years but it now has a indentation from where my husband sleeps and he is no longer comfortable. I agree the pillowtop has compressed or I would buy another one no problem.

We looked at the tempur pedics, they are comfy but they are expensive. Seems people either love them or hate them. I know we can try the bed for 60 days but hate to drop $3500 on a bed only to have to return it.

In theory we could buy a few Serta Perfect Sleepers for the price of the tempur and just replace them every few years but that seems too wasteful for me.

The other option is a more expensive pillow top bed with individual pocket coils but the salesman say eventually that pillow top will also compress and get permanent "dents" in it.

Tried the sleep number bed but I don't like them, since I like the bed softer it feels like sleeping on a quasi-waterbed.

mr2mike
04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
No opinion on mattress type but the 60 day trial is sort of misleading. Basically, yes, you can return the mattress no questions asked but the next mattress you get you better like it because they don't let you return it. Or at least sleep country was like that. Make sure you know the fine print.

kvg
04-25-2011, 10:08 PM
If you bought a Serta perfect sleeper it has a 10 yr replacement warranty. The manufacture has a few stipulations such as 1. Proper frame 2.stain and soil free and 3. Your the original purchaser. They replace it with a new bed if it's deemed defective.

msommers
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
You spend the most amount of time of the day in your shoes and on a mattress. These should be some of your most expensive items you own.

bignerd
04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by msommers
You spend the most amount of time of the day in your shoes and on a mattress. These should be some of your most expensive items you own.

Since we are looking at a tempur pedic, I can assure you the cost is not a large factor. I did mention the sleep number bed was expensive, but mostly just uncomfortable for me.

bignerd
04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by kvg
If you bought a Serta perfect sleeper it has a 10 yr replacement warranty. The manufacture has a few stipulations such as 1. Proper frame 2.stain and soil free and 3. Your the original purchaser. They replace it with a new bed if it's deemed defective.

The compression must be 1.5" in order for replacement, I do not know if it is that deep(still have to measure), maybe only one inch but either way my husband finds it uncomfortable now. It is maybe 7 years old? The rest of the replacement criteria we can meet.

kvg
04-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Where was it bought?

bignerd
04-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Sleep Country

kvg
04-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Go in and tell them whats happening. Do you have the Invoice?

bignerd
04-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Yep, still have everything.

They just tell you to call the warranty number who will then send someone out to measure it/inspect it and see if it is requiring replacement.

kvg
04-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Yup, as the warranty is through the manufacturer. Serta is a good company its worth the inspection. You should know if it is deemed defective the will replace it with a similar model, you don't get to pick a different bed.

Dumbass17
04-26-2011, 12:10 AM
haha i read 'husband is 220lbs with BLACK issues'

ExtraSlow
12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Bumping the thread for any new thoughts. I'm in the market for a king sized mattress over the holidays.
Sent Kelly a PM, so I'll probably be chatting with him.

What are the "higher end" features that really matter? What brands are well made? Stearns and Foster?

Don't like the intellibed of Tempur mattresses, looking for something with springs, and probably not a pillowtop.

benyl
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I would get a pocket coil.

We didn't notice a huge difference when going from a standard mattress to a pocket coil. We did notice the difference when going back to a standard mattress.

95EG6P
12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Bumping the thread for any new thoughts. I'm in the market for a king sized mattress over the holidays.
Sent Kelly a PM, so I'll probably be chatting with him.

What are the "higher end" features that really matter? What brands are well made? Stearns and Foster?

Don't like the intellibed of Tempur mattresses, looking for something with springs, and probably not a pillowtop.

i have a stern and foster bed and it is really good it is nice and firm yet it is soft. When i first got it it was firm like a brick then i seplt on it for a few days and it felt just like the mattress they had on display which was what i wanted. I bought mine at the sleep country and got the 10 matresss warentee so if my matress dips 1.5 inches or the pillow top sags 1.5 i get a new matress. Stay away from the serta as my pillow top did sag 1.5 inches lwithin 3 years and i got a new matress though the warentee so wh upgraded to the STERN AND FOSTER and is the best matress i have ever slept on. Good luck

kvg
12-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Stearns and Foster is a Sealy bed and they are a great product. I think Simmons makes the best pocket coil as they have the only pocket coil actually designed non flip beds and all other pocket coils use Simmons older coil design as they were the only company making pocket coil up until a decade ago. Not everyone like pocket coil as they generally are used in softer beds. That being said I do sleep on a pocket coil and love it, but its all a matter of comfort preference. When your looking at Sealy/Steans&Foster, Serta/Trump, and Simmons beds you really splitting hair when it comes to quality to be fair.

jesterme2007
01-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

ExtraSlow
01-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Since someone bumped this thread I guess it's time for an update. I bought a mattress from Kelly, and really enjoyed the experience. He was super helpful and low pressure, and his little store is nothing like the other Brick stores that I hate so much.

So far, I'm enjoying the new bed.

C_Dave45
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm wanting to go to a King size bed. But the price is the biggest hurdle. I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for. I see a "good" king mattress in the $1800-$2000 range. So when I see some place advertising a king for $500-600 I can't see that being as good.

I took a look on kijiji. The wife says "no way". But I find the odd mattress that was used as a guest bed and is only a couple of months old. $2,000 mattresses for only a few hundred bucks. Just don't know though.....

msommers
01-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Personally buying a used mattress sounds disgusting. You might luck out, but I doubt it.

C_Dave45
01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Well yeah, that is my first thought as well. But then I started thinking a little more about it.

It never seems to bother us to sleep in a hotel. Where a mattress is used by someone different every night for years. As well, those using it won't care if they stain/ruin it. In fact if anyone is going to engage in wet/sloppy/illegal-in-26-states type sex, they'll probably do it on a hotel mattress.

Conversely, unless you're some disgusting pig, living in a shooting gallery..MOST people will try to look after their own mattress in their own home. And one that is only months old, say sitting in a guest bedroom, is hardly used at all. As long as a visual inspection shows no stains anywhere...is it really that disgusting??

I've found a couple of ads where people have purchased a $2500 mattress from Sears and then have to move and there's no room. And of course, "who's going to buy a used mattress", so they are trying to sell it for 10 cents on the dollar. A great bargain, for sure. No?

msommers
01-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Definitely a valid point, I know I've slept on worse in hostels but that is short and not long term. I don't know, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

ExtraSlow
01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
One thing to note is that mattress prices have a lot of room to negotiate in them. I've heard people say that you should be able to get anything from sleep country for about 50% of the listed price.
Kelly can give you the heads-up on what a realistic out-the-door price would be.

nissanK
03-06-2012, 08:41 AM
^This. Kelley helped me and my wife find a great bed at a great price. Great guy knows his stuff. :thumbsup:

kvg
03-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Thank you guys for keeping me in mind when you were in need of a bed, I do appreciate it.

CanmoreOrLess
03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Well yeah, that is my first thought as well. But then I started thinking a little more about it.

It never seems to bother us to sleep in a hotel. Where a mattress is used by someone different every night for years. As well, those using it won't care if they stain/ruin it. In fact if anyone is going to engage in wet/sloppy/illegal-in-26-states type sex, they'll probably do it on a hotel mattress.

Conversely, unless you're some disgusting pig, living in a shooting gallery..MOST people will try to look after their own mattress in their own home. And one that is only months old, say sitting in a guest bedroom, is hardly used at all. As long as a visual inspection shows no stains anywhere...is it really that disgusting??

I've found a couple of ads where people have purchased a $2500 mattress from Sears and then have to move and there's no room. And of course, "who's going to buy a used mattress", so they are trying to sell it for 10 cents on the dollar. A great bargain, for sure. No?

Maybe charge your wife $200 a night to sleep on the bed and she will feel better about it? My wife has the save view of a "used" mattress, yet this is what we all do when we stay in a hotel. In the home, everyone I know uses a mattress protective cover, as the warrantee claims require this. Bed bugs might be my concern in buying used, not too certain they are as big an issue in Calgary as some areas of the USA. My brother in law spent over $2,000 on his mattress, a year later he finds it uncomfortable and wants a new mattress, his wife says "no way", so he went to CostCo and bought some sort of mattress pad for the top and he now sleeps very well. Might be a cheaper solution for some, returns to CostCo are trouble free if this proves to be no solution.

C_Dave45
03-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by kvg
Thank you guys for keeping me in mind when you were in need of a bed, I do appreciate it.
Where do you work? I am thinking of buying a new bed and mattress over the weekend. Quick question. Customer of mine just bought a new Simmons Beautyrest. (Cartier Harlen-firm?) that "didn't need a box spring"? Now is that the mattress that determines this, or the bed/frame?

2Legit2Quit
03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Another +1 for pillow top mattresses getting sunk in/indented. Started out great but now sucks.

Anyone have experience with the memory foam mattress from Costco?

GTS4tw
03-21-2012, 08:31 AM
I just bought a new mattress to help with my screwed up back and I shopped around at 8 different stores before making a decision. I didnt like the memory foam at all because I found it trapped me so I couldnt move around as well, and I have heard it gets very hot in the summer. Just has a weird feeling to it that I didnt like, which is good because damn are they expensive!

Mattress shopping is so confusing and there is such a huge gap between mattresses its hard to know what to do. I dont know if I got a great deal, but I feel like I got the best mattress for me.

I ended up with a King size Serta Smart Support, it felt as comfortable as the highest end non-memory foam I could find, and wasn't the highest price. I have only slept one night on it but it is amazing! If you like a firm bed, or weigh over 200 lbs, this is an awesome bed. It has a layer of gel cushioning which they say will be better for staying cool. It feels soft but firm at the same time if that makes sense.

As for buying a used one, go for it! You can get totally waterproof covers for them that are very thin and unnoticeable. I would throw one of those on there and you're good to go. I found that another great way to save money is to look at last years models, I cant imagine there have been huge leaps in bed technology this year so I figure whats the difference? Mine was brand new and I got it for just over half price.

kvg
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Where do you work? I am thinking of buying a new bed and mattress over the weekend. Quick question. Customer of mine just bought a new Simmons Beautyrest. (Cartier Harlen-firm?) that "didn't need a box spring"? Now is that the mattress that determines this, or the bed/frame?

The Brick Mattress store. Simmons makes great beds for sure, and the boxpring thing is that Simmons will still warranty their beds on platform beds. They don't have a built in one if that's what your thinking. You can get thinner boxsprings as well from all manufacturers, because some beds are really thick.

Originally posted by GTS4tw

I ended up with a King size Serta Smart Support, it felt as comfortable as the highest end non-memory foam I could find, and wasn't the highest price. I have only slept one night on it but it is amazing! If you like a firm bed, or weigh over 200 lbs, this is an awesome bed. It has a layer of gel cushioning which they say will be better for staying cool. It feels soft but firm at the same time if that makes sense.

That gel layer is actually a gel memory foam, the same memory foam they use in a Serta iComfort bed. With most coil beds you don't really have the "trapped feel" some people don't like, because the memory foam has numerous layers of between you and it.

ZorroAMG
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I LOVE my simmons Beauty rest mattress I bought 3 years ago. The Bowling ball one...got it from Sleep country after returning those BRUTAL uncomfortable memory foam ones.

DO NOT buy memory foam if you toss at all or move during sleep. Terrible.

redevil
04-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by kvg

The Brick Mattress store. Simmons makes great beds for sure, and the boxpring thing is that Simmons will still warranty their beds on platform beds. They don't have a built in one if that's what your thinking. You can get thinner boxsprings as well from all manufacturers, because some beds are really thick.

That gel layer is actually a gel memory foam, the same memory foam they use in a Serta iComfort bed. With most coil beds you don't really have the "trapped feel" some people don't like, because the memory foam has numerous layers of between you and it.

Hey I'm in the market for a new mattress, which store are you located at?

Thanks

:thumbsup:

KeepItGully
04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
:werd: :hijack:

I could use a contact aswell please!

GQBalla
04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
ive had my latex pillow top, yes it is getting softer, but i usually sleep all over and rotating it helps

kvg
04-16-2012, 12:06 AM
130th, if you have any questions let me know, hopefully I can help:thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
04-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
ive had my latex pillow top, yes it is getting softer, but i usually sleep all over and rotating it helps
I flip/rotate the mattress every time I change the sheets so it doesn't get flat-spotted. I've got pillow tops on both sides.

urbannomad
04-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Where do you dispose an old mattress?

kvg
04-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I flip/rotate the mattress every time I change the sheets so it doesn't get flat-spotted. I've got pillow tops on both sides.

They stopped making flippable beds almost a decade ago, because the had more movement and had problems with sagging. Even if your bed was made of magic and sfayed perfect the average person only keeps a bed for 7-10yrs , because needs change.

Originally posted by urbannomad
Where do you dispose an old mattress?

Dump, most charities don't accept them from individuals any more.