PDA

View Full Version : Facilities Downtown

shadowz
04-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Switched jobs and I'm looking for facilities downtown around 8th Ave SW. I went for a trial at fifth ave club but I find the facility missing many components and fairly expensive. Does not need to be huge just functional

lint
04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
World Health Bay Club
World Health Fifth Ave Place
Bankers Hall Club
Bow Valley Club

You're gonna get raped at any gym downtown

R-Audi
04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
8th Ave and what St?

Although its expensive the Bow Valley Club is great... but you have to look at it as more than just a workout facility..

GQBalla
04-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Golds gym Eau Claire bit further
WHC on 7ave

shadowz
04-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
8th Ave and what St?

Although its expensive the Bow Valley Club is great... but you have to look at it as more than just a workout facility..

Im right off of 8th ave and 8 st near the Nexen building, fifth ave club is a 4 min walk

cet
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I've been at fifth ave club for almost two years now. The only thing I find really lacking is a propper leg press. It is expensive though

shadowz
04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by cet
I've been at fifth ave club for almost two years now. The only thing I find really lacking is a propper leg press. It is expensive though

I just found it lacking weights, and found myself taking weights from other stations, which would piss off other people as they were waiting for plates I was using, also you are limited to flat bench

mo_money2supe
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
There's a gym in the basement of one of the Husky buildings...should only be like a 2 min walk from your office. http://www.wcpfitness.ab.ca/ I work nearby you too and was considering that gym until I got started on p90x at home, which has really been kicking my butt since. Seeing great results though!

turbotrip
04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
how much are some of these downtown gyms? I know eau claire is about $60/month which isnt too bad

Jry_79
04-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by cet

I pay approx $72/month at fifth ave club, also there is some sort of yearly fee i think $120ish or so every January

R-Audi
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
At BVC I pay $150/month including Laundry....

cet
04-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Jry_79

I pay approx $72/month at fifth ave club, also there is some sort of yearly fee i think $120ish or so every January

I pay the same, about $72 a month. I don't think I've ever paid an additional yearly fee though. I'll have to check.

shadowz
04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
There's a gym in the basement of one of the Husky buildings...should only be like a 2 min walk from your office. http://www.wcpfitness.ab.ca/ I work nearby you too and was considering that gym until I got started on p90x at home, which has really been kicking my butt since. Seeing great results though!

Went here today out of the three facilities I have tried so far, it is by far the most optimal. Several machines, well spaced out, change rooms have lots of space, and courtesy lockers/locks however there is a lack of bikes and elipticals

buh_buh
04-28-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm trying out a free month at WHC on 1st and 7th. Its not a bad gym, 2 station train ride or 15 minute walk from 8th and 8th, but I'm probably going to end up at Eau Claire Y for $61 per month, which is probably the best deal downtown minus the City of Calgary gym, which I've heard is pretty ghetto

WHC is something retarded like $78 per month or $68 per month if you can find 5 guys you work with to get the corporate discount.

shadowz
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I'm trying out a free month at WHC on 1st and 7th. Its not a bad gym, 2 station train ride or 15 minute walk from 8th and 8th, but I'm probably going to end up at Eau Claire Y for $61 per month, which is probably the best deal downtown minus the City of Calgary gym, which I've heard is pretty ghetto

WHC is something retarded like $78 per month or $68 per month if you can find 5 guys you work with to get the corporate discount.

Come to my desk when you get here

GREENBOY
05-03-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.strongcowboy.com/gym.html

Jry_79
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by cet

I pay the same, about $72 a month. I don't think I've ever paid an additional yearly fee though. I'll have to check.

Yeah please check as they grab the yearly free from my account every January

Neil68
05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
WCP Fitness Centre (8th Ave & 6th St SW) is $63/month for a fitness membership: http://www.wcpfitness.ab.ca/default.asp

Located one block from the 6th/7th St. LRT stations.

LONDAR
05-07-2011, 11:20 PM
WHC 5th ave

in the last 2 years they have definetly geared the backside more to crossfit.
Linc and Erik (now at northill) did a great job revamping stuff and getting rid of the equipment no one was using and creating space for people to work out.
The downside...things like the incline bench press is gone. But you can free weight on the adjustable bench...so i dont really see the issue.

i've never seen anyone had a problem with not being able to get weights. theres always tons of them at the south end of the back area, just no one uses the machines they are sitting on, or bothers to grab them.

Ebon
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know what the prices are at Bow Valley?

lint
05-11-2011, 06:31 PM
^^^ look up a few posts

turbotrip
05-11-2011, 09:36 PM
me and a friend went to check out the bankers hall club a few days ago, and the average age looked to be about 40

Gadgetboy
07-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Any other alternatives?
I'm looking to get a membership in the next week or 2 and want to try and weigh out my options without having to ask for a free week at every place I want to take a look at.

I tried out WHC 5th ave - lacking severely in machines, WHC Bay - better than 5th ave, but still not great considering the price, Eau Claire Y - pretty decent in terms of equipment, there's also squash courts and pool which is a plus. I've only been there once so far, the leading candidate among the 3. Anyone know what gym the eye candy's hidden, because none of the gyms I've been to seem to have any. Not a requirement, just a bonus.

I work in 5th Ave Place, so anywhere within walking distance is preferred.