PDA

View Full Version : attn car theives: what is the hardest alarm to beat?

E46..sTyLez
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
I just switched the teg to PLPD and I don't want her to get stolen...can anyone advise what the best car alarm is (within a reasonable cost)? Just even what brand is the most trusted out there.
Also, does anyone know how good the factory security systems are on a 2011 sti? Wondering if it's worth buying an alarm for it too. I don't really have anything in the cars worth stealing, just worried about someone stealing the car itself.

Thanks guys

badatusrnames
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Don't know much about alarms. But in addition to an alarm, maybe rig up a fuel kill switch too. If you're paranoid, try a club too as a visual deterrent, so you're less likely to have to deal with a smashed window or mangled locks.

No harm in having multiple layers of security.

spacerz
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Edit: read that wrong. Kill switch would be a good idea...but if someone really wants your car, they are going to take it. Assuming you don't have any valuable modifications I would just slap a compustar on it and call it a day.

rage2
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Are you just parking the teg? If so just take the ECU out. Honda ECU's are so easy to remove.

jacky4566
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I knew a guy who would take his ecu out everyday! such a pain. then the connector broke and cost him a fortune.

Also its not the alarm that is easy to break its the installation and hiding of wires. hide your alarm well and use layers of security on top.

alloroc
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.honeywellparts.com/honeywell-q624a1014gas-ignition-transformer.html

badatusrnames
04-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Are you just parking the teg? If so just take the ECU out. Honda ECU's are so easy to remove.

Wouldn't it just be easier to pull out the fuse for the fuel pump or something?

boarderfatty
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
If someone wants your car there is no way to stop them if they are motivated.

Easiest way to steal a car is to have a tow truck or flat bed. Even if you don't it is still fairly easy, chances are that the hood release cable is tucked under the driver side fender liner, pull it, pop the hood, find the alarm horn, cut power to it, no more sound to deal with. Your car like a subaru has a chipped key, they will have a modded or just a plain 2004 STI ecu with the immobilizer disabled and change yours out so it is easier to start.

For your Honda I would suggest getting any alarm but locating the horn for it up in the vents right under the windshield, somewhere they can't find it. Get an alarm for your car that will allow you to alarm the hood. Then re route the hood release cable so it is not as easily accessed through the fenderliner. Lastly relocate your fuse box to a hidden location and pull your fuel pump fuse all the time. But most importantly put fire theft and vandalism back on since none of this will stop a motivated thief.

E46..sTyLez
04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I know if someone wants it that bad, they will get it. I'm more of looking for something that will stop the average joy riding thief. I've heard it's really easy to steal a teg that has no security.
So that being said, can anyone recommend a solid brand? Viper? Compustar? Or are most brands capable of the same amount of security...

I like the club idea too..

P.S. teg will be driven occasionally all year round.

Thx again

G-ZUS
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Why not put comprehensive on it? It's not much more?

spike98
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Its not the alarm, its the install. A $200 alarm installed perfectly will be way more effective then the most expensive alarmed installed by a hack.

If you are that paranoid here are some notes:

- Install Siren IN the front fender. Make sure it has a battery backup
- Brain installed inside dash on the firewall. All wires solidered, taped and loomed.
- All sensors installed up inside dash on custom plates for maximum sensitivity
- Make sure starter kill is used and a output/relay is used to disable fuel too
- Proximity and glass sensors should be used (and properly installed)
- 2 way paging alarm is a must and get a GPS active one if you can.

Some non-alarm related notes:

- Park in lit areas
- Leave no valuables within sight
- Lock glove boxes, fold down seats, and deactivate trunk switch (vw/audis do this)
- Remove faceplates of decks

boarderfatty
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
I know if someone wants it that bad, they will get it. I'm more of looking for something that will stop the average joy riding thief. I've heard it's really easy to steal a teg that has no security.
So that being said, can anyone recommend a solid brand? Viper? Compustar? Or are most brands capable of the same amount of security...

I like the club idea too..

P.S. teg will be driven occasionally all year round.

Thx again

As said before it is the install not the actual product that makes the difference, look for features you want and buy it. Personally 2-way is a must, having it linked with your cell is a plus. Should have glass sensors and hood sensors.

As far as the club goes, its useless, you can cut a steering wheel and remove the club in a few seconds. a good one is the brake or clutch club thing

Pedal Jack (http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=1079&mr:trackingCode=99BDCC5C-680C-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&sc=3364)

CapnCrunch
04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I just pull my battery and bring one tire into work every day. I've never had a car stolen.

bspot
04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Sounds cheaper to just put theft back on it...

max_boost
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Sounds cheaper to just put theft back on it...

:werd:

As for the STi, CompuStar. Joe at Auto Tech.

hrdkore
04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I thought with newer cars they have the transponder in the keys so engine cant start without it?

oupzwrongthread
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
fDrzMGdYWZc

E46..sTyLez
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
All excellent tips, thanks guys. I think I know what I'm gonna do

jacky4566
04-27-2011, 02:49 PM
it was going to cost me an extra 65$ per month for theft and vandalism. im not going to complaining because i get great insurance so i spent that extra 700 on a decent alarm

Xtrema
04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by hrdkore
I thought with newer cars they have the transponder in the keys so engine cant start without it?

It's a 2000 teg, transponder key only exists on luxury model back then.

But even with transponder, it can be defeated.

For me comprehensive vs PLPD on a teg is about $500 a year. (fuck, tegs are expensive, I pay less for my car with 4x the value).

94_S14
04-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Just pull out a random connector under the hood. I did that for my S14 when it was parked for winter. Just un plugged critical connections, some which are a bitch to find. and a theif wont sit around trying to diagnose your ride for long.

That.Guy.S30
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Quick release steering wheel?

n1zm0
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
the ~2000 hondas and acuras with immobilizers are easily bypassed using a programmed master key and the corresponding programmed ecu, swap ecu with theirs and voila - started, working at the dealership we had to reprogram tons of recoveries, theres also immobilizer emulators you can buy on the internet unfortunately

best bet for a honda imo and what lots of hondas have: a kill switch connecting the fuel pump relay (the Mitsuba relay box) or at least a few in series at various points and with various switches all over the car if you're really concerned (but then starting the car youll have to jump around the interior switching them all on - but at the expense that your car isnt stolen, totally worth it imo). the thief can change ecus all he wants, jam ignition etc but if theres no fuel, theres no go right? - unless they flatbed your car. in anycase, the more switches the more frustrating it is, why would a thief sit there all night trying to find the switches under plastic panels and/or carpet/upholstery?

i have done it to all my honda winter beaters.

edit: heres the balls to the wall type or just do the single switch in series of the black/green wire iirc but you should check which exactly

http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24389

few more:

http://www.teamsolcal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9895&sid=d4b4d93d4c6cbf118cabd0615ed9e478

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-electrical/333087-kill-switch-relay.html

^ this one the guy doesnt even go through the oem relay but straight to the fuel pump looks like

boarderfatty
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by hrdkore

THis is untrue, all you need is an ecu reflashed with the transponder/immobilizer disabled and plug it in and you can start it up. The Sti's are even easier, all you need is a 2004 ecu which will work in any STI since the 04 didn't have immobilizers and you can drive it away. if you don't have an ecu, you can always just tow it or flatbed it and then strip it for parts, you don't need to drive it.

Lastly you can go to a dealership with a vin number ad just have a key cut for the car.

adam c
04-27-2011, 09:06 PM
i did a fuel cutoff switch in my teg when i had it, great hiding spot as well

did a few installs for some beyonders as well

ddduke
05-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread so I was just wondering if this is safe to do on my truck.

I pulled the fuse for my starter. I tested it and the truck wouldn't start. Just wondering if there's any damage that can be done pulling starter fuses on a regular basis.

I wouldn't do this every day, but many nights I'll be too lazy to drop off trailers or unload quads out of the box and just want a bit of extra security on those days.

btw, I only pulled the fuse when the truck was turned off.

diamondedge
05-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't see a problem aside from your starter relay getting extra work when someone continually tries to crank it over...Like, a few more actuation's on the relay in the span of a few minutes when the thief doesn't realize the fuse is gone.

Instead of the usual "click, cranking over, cranking over, catch" it will be "click. nothing. click. nothing." Repeat.

ddduke
05-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
I don't see a problem aside from your starter relay getting extra work when someone continually tries to crank it over...Like, a few more actuation's on the relay in the span of a few minutes when the thief doesn't realize the fuse is gone.

Instead of the usual "click, cranking over, cranking over, catch" it will be "click. nothing. click. nothing." Repeat.

Fair enough, but I guess that's better then a missing truck and trailer/tools/quads/etc.

But most likely it won't be stolen, so as long as I'm not turning it over without the fuse in i should be good?

boarderfatty
05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
If you are pulling fuses make sure you take your extra fuses out as well. I know with most vehicles I have the fuse panel has extra fuses, so no point in pulling one if an extra s readily available.

n1zm0
05-10-2011, 10:26 PM
^but then again they could pull an equal rating fuse out of something useless and not needed to drive

ddduke
05-11-2011, 08:30 AM
^^^ Do you guys think that most car theives would pop the hood and start to diagnose the problem? I don't know much about stealing cars but that seems pretty heat.

boarderfatty
05-11-2011, 10:58 AM
the first thing professional thieves do most of the time is pop the hood, this will allow them to either cut the cables going to the alarm hood, out take off a battery terminal until the alarm had been disabled. After the ignition has been "fixed" and the car doesn't start take a quick look for fuses and kill switches. if this doesn't produce anything get a flatbed.

It really depends on what kind of person you are talking about though, a crackhead looking to smash windows and grab change, a couple kids looking for a joy ride, or professional thieves.

chkolny541
05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
the first thing professional thieves do most of the time is pop the hood, this will allow them to either cut the cables going to the alarm hood, out take off a battery terminal until the alarm had been disabled. After the ignition has been "fixed" and the car doesn't start take a quick look for fuses and kill switches. if this doesn't produce anything get a flatbed.

lol, wtf!?? you watch wwwaaayyyyyyy too many movies, car jackings arent all like "gone in 60 seconds" you know. Theives arent going to dig through a fuse box and scan a car for kill switches. Whats with you and Flatbeds as well? youve mentioned it in almost all your posts haha, how many car jackings honestly involve flat beds? srsly? Do you park your car with a boot on it?

boarderfatty
05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

lol, wtf!?? you watch wwwaaayyyyyyy too many movies, car jackings arent all like "gone in 60 seconds" you know. Theives arent going to dig through a fuse box and scan a car for kill switches. Whats with you and Flatbeds as well? youve mentioned it in almost all your posts haha, how many car jackings honestly involve flat beds? srsly? Do you park your car with a boot on it?

I just take it you don't know enough about the car theft business. flat bed and tow trucks are commonly used by big time professional thiefs, newer euros such as benz, bmw, and porsche are next to impossible to start without keys, so unless you have a heatbag connection at a parts place the only way to steal them is by towing.If they don't get keys from a dealer or tow a vehicle how about you explain to me how you would steal a high end car?

Professional thieves will not stop if they want a car bad enough, it takes less than a minute to pop the hood since you will already be under there and scan the important fuses for one missing, better bet would be putting in a blown fuse so it isn't obvious one is missing. It takes less than a minute more to check in the footwell for the fuses under there to see if one is missing.

You forget that if you get into a car without smashing a window or setting off an alarm in the middle of the night, you have all the time in the world.