PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get the front walk/steps of house replaced

dino_martini
04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
I live in an older neighborhood, earlier this winter the top step in the front of my house had a huge hole put into it. Just a weak spot on the step, had previously been patched:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/martman104/IMG_0228.jpg

Obviously needs to be replaced, I'm sure Canada Post will be sending me a letter saying "your letter carrier has reported dangerous conditions at your residence, all your mail will be available at post office..yadda yadda". Along with the front walk which has been chipping and cracking away for quite a few winters now.

Was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a company to replace the steps/front walk? Or if there is something else that could be done, though I don't think another patch would hold for very long.

Thanks in advance.

98brg2d
05-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I have seen people build simple wood decks over top of precast steps likes yours. I am not advocating this as the best way to do it but it will make it safe and not take much time or cost.

project240
05-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I've seen the same thing. Obviously this isn't a permanent fix, but shouldn't take more than an hour or two to gather materials and build a very simple "floating" deck.

3 or 4 2x6 running towards your door and 6 or 8 more running perpendicular to it should cover that for the time being until you can get it replaced.

sillysod
05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
I would just build wood steps, however if you want to do precast just call Westcon Precast - they make those. Cory will be able to set you up with a replacement.

If you want to go fancy (exposed with led's etc) then call Proform in Red Deer.

ExtraSlow
05-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I had a patio slab, steps and a pathway poured for me by crush concrete. I had quotes from A1 and Greco, both of whom are highly regarded. Crush was much cheaper, and I was satisfied with the quality of their work. Saved a few grand.
Pretty much any concrete contractor should be able to take care of this for you. But if rock bottom price is your main goal, then wood built over top is the way to go, IMO it just doesn't look very good.

Doozer
05-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Hate to mention it, but generally steps and foundation are poured at approx. the same time. If the steps are that bad (maybe you know of something specific that caused this?) the foundation might be worth looking at....

ExtraSlow
05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
doozer, those are precast steps, not poured on site.