PDA

View Full Version : Spring Compressor - Where can I find one?

dingbathero
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Hello Beyond,

I am looking for a Spring Compressor so I can put on springs to my current civic set-up. For the r18....

I've called a few CDN tire(s), but they don't rent them, from what they tell me.... I was hoping to have one for this weekend....

Anyone have one? Know of where I can get one? If I can get it this Friday I'll have time this weekend to get the springs on....

TIA

Team_Mclaren
04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
autovalue iirc has them. i used to rent them from partsource, but i think all of them has been closed??

Kloubek
04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Canadian Tire sells them for something like $70.

I have a set you can borrow if you want to drive up to Kincora. But as a fairly unexperienced member, I would need some sort of guarantee I won't have to hunt you down to get them back.

PM me.

dingbathero
04-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Pm'd

Doozer
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Sounds like you got some help already, but I rented a spring compressor from Canadian Tire a couple years back for my own car, so I can guarantee they rent them (or used to). This was from the new one in Beacon Hills; I was the first person to use their brand new rental compressor.

Maybe they quit doing it, but if everything else falls through, give that store a call.

spacerz
04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
If your still looking princess auto has them for >$20.00. That is where I got my set from last summer.

EDIT: I'm sorry i meant <$20.00...

dingbathero
04-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks beyond!

I will scout them all out.

G-ZUS
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by spacerz
If your still looking princess auto has them for &gt;$20.00. That is where I got my set from last summer.

Greater than $20?

94boosted
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Greater than $20?

:werd: I got mine from Princess for ~$25

realazy
04-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty sure Canadian Tire still rents tools. It's not actually renting, it's more like borrowing with a deposit.

I've borrowed spring compressors and ball joint pullers before. You just have to call a few to see which stores has it in. I think they only have one set per store.

crapstixs
04-28-2011, 11:03 AM
if im going to compress a spring that can kill me, im going to spend more that $20 on the tool.

ddduke
04-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
if im going to compress a spring that can kill me, im going to spend more that $20 on the tool.

I don't think anything more true has ever been said.

ZMan2k2
04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm looking for a spring compressor for my truck as well. However, I don't want the cheap feeling, scary things they rent at PartSource. If you don't know what I mean, they usually look like two long bolts, with nuts that have hooks on them to grab the spring. Then you have to tighten the rounded head of the bolt to compress the spring. What I'm looking for is the clamshell type compressor. Something that's a little more solid. Like this
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3574/img4670cg4.jpg

Anyone know where I can rent something like that?

94boosted
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM

There is not much to them which is why they aren't expensive:

http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/hand-tools/automotive-tools/auto-repair/2920186-strut-coil-spring-compressor

If you take a look at them they are very rugged, the size of the threads is quite large I've changed many struts with these types of spring compressors without issue and know a few guys who have been using them for years also with no problem.

The trick is to have an impact wrench electric or pneumatic as it makes the job go ten times faster.

texasnick
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
You could also go to u wrench and just use one of theirs.

eglove
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
zip ties ftw!

Cos
04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I have a set from Princess Auto that I no longer need since they are WAY to small for my truck. If anyone wants to buy them let me know.

johnboy27
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/hand-tools/automotive-tools/auto-repair/2920186-strut-coil-spring-compressor

If you take a look at them they are very rugged, the size of the threads is quite large I've changed many struts with these types of spring compressors without issue and know a few guys who have been using them for years also with no problem.

The trick is to have an impact wrench electric or pneumatic as it makes the job go ten times faster.
Werd, I have used mine a few times with no issues what so ever. It isn't like they have to be compressed to death. They just have to be slightly compressed enough that there is no pressure on the strut bearing plate.

crapstixs
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

you will notice when you start compressing the spring the threaded rods on the compressor will start to bow and can drag the clamps off the spring. the last time i saw one of these fail the spring put a good dent on the 30 foot high roof and the spring seat smashed through a window in a bay door. getting hit with a spring would dampin my day a little.

btimbit
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Autovalue has some fairly beefy ones available for rent.

kvg
04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by eglove
zip ties ftw!
You trying to kill the guy:rofl:

94boosted
04-29-2011, 11:59 AM

you will notice when you start compressing the spring the threaded rods on the compressor will start to bow and can drag the clamps off the spring. the last time i saw one of these fail the spring put a good dent on the 30 foot high roof and the spring seat smashed through a window in a bay door. getting hit with a spring would dampin my day a little.

I've never seen the threaded rod bow or bend. The key is to make sure your putting both compressors on properly and tightening both of them down as uniformly as possible. But you are correct the risk of the clamp slipping off is always there which is why whenever working around springs you should be very careful.