PDA

View Full Version : Ela 30-1

Merritt
04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Why is it so difficult to pass this course as well as the exam? I did manage to pass 30-2 but I've yet to improve in 30-1 field. What can be done to pass this? Are there any books I should buy and read so I can improve my understanding?

I mean, I did pass the course but unfortunately, it seems I didn't do the exam very much adequately. I heard that in MRU you don't have to write the exam, is this true?

Thanks for any contributions

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
05-11-2011, 12:37 AM
A bit of a late response to your statement.

When it comes to English, it is necessary to have grammatical skills, reading comprehension skills, and writing skills in order to pass the subject. All of these skills combine can be obtain through practice.
Reading books also help.

Some of the books you might wanna explore:
Analytical Reading & Reasoning
501 Reading Comprehension Questions
Writing Matters!
Practice Makes Perfect: Exploring Writing
Practice Makes Perfect: Mastering Writing
Summarizing paraphrasing and retelling
(There is much more selection of books)

Sometimes it can be helpful if you start from the very basic.
Don't give up trying to pass.
Mind you, like you, I still have troubles with these skills...

Also did you go to Chinook College for ELA 30-1?

J-D
05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Is English your first language? I found the course extremely easy back in High School, but I could see how it could be difficult if it wasn't your primary language.

dandia89
05-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by J-D
Is English your first language? I found the course extremely easy back in High School, but I could see how it could be difficult if it wasn't your primary language.
english is my primary language but i still struggled with the course. i felt i was confident in my writing skills, but the reading comprehension is where i failed/barely passed. those questions could be interpreted in many ways.

J-D
05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by dandia89

english is my primary language but i still struggled with the course. i felt i was confident in my writing skills, but the reading comprehension is where i failed/barely passed. those questions could be interpreted in many ways.

I agree that the reading comprehension can be rather subjective. I just found it to be beating a dead horse by that point in my schooling as I had written similar tests so often that I was generally able to pick up what they were looking for.

NRGie
05-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Just read books and you'll improve. Try to finish a novel a week then go on spark or coles notes and read the comprehension questions and try to answer them. Sounds boring i know but try to find books that interest you also

yipb
05-12-2011, 03:20 AM
its easier to do course in summer school or online imo

Civic_Drift
05-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd definitely recommend doing reading comprehension exams from previous years to give you an idea of what kind of questions they'll ask on the diploma. Use Exambank as well!

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
05-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by dandia89

Are you Merritt as well?