PDA

View Full Version : ~20k car suggestions?

Pages : [1] 2

Mitsu3000gt
04-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Sadly, I will be selling my S4 in June :cry: . I only drive 2000-4000km a year and money is tight right now so it just doesn't make financial sense for me to have this car.

Looking to pick something up for around $20k, just wondering if I am forgetting any good options. A small list I've complied so far of acceptable vehicles:

Acura TL (probably top of my list)
Acura RL
Honda Accord
Subaru Legacy GT

Not sure if I want to dip down into the economy cars or not, like Mazda 3, Civic, etc. although it would make even more sense given my driving habits since I moved downtown.

Not at all interested in anything American unless I am forgetting about something pretty special - just looking for something reliable, decent power, and a bit of luxury still. Don't care about fuel economy because I drive so little. The TL seems to fit my requirements most closely, and can be had for around $20k. Looking for something no older than 2005-2006 or so, preferably newer.

Any other suggestions? Am I missing any other good options? I'm good at suggesting cars for others but I am drawing lots of blanks now that I'm looking for myself haha.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in a mint 2006 Audi S4 6-spd w/$50K full custom stereo and under 50,000km let me know :D . Car will be up for sale as early as June.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM
I payed well under $20000 for my Legacy GT, plus AWD really gets you around in winter, it's decently fun as well.

captain134
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Funny you posted this. My roommate is looking for the exact same thing and he has pretty much come to the conclusion that it will be 2006 (+-1 year) Acura TL. Seems like the best option.

Xtrema
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Staying with European?

http://i.imgur.com/fn6px.jpg

Tik-Tok
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Also keep an eye out for Saabaru's (Saab 9-2x Aero's), Hard to find for sale, but usually in the $12g range, and it's basically a WRX, but better looks, and more likely not to be bagged on.

jsn
04-28-2011, 03:43 PM
I vote for a Legacy GT Spec B

Mitsu3000gt
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. Further analysis suggests I should be looking more into the $15-17k range :cry: . Maybe I will look at that Fiat after all haha.

Looks like an economy car 07-08 (Mazda 3, Civic, etc.) or a 06-07 Accord or similar.

All the Legacy GT's I can see that are around or under $20k all have over 100,000km on them. I have a mental barrier at 100k.

This process makes me extremely sad.

turbotrip
04-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
2006 Audi S4 6-spd w/$50K full custom stereo

I would be very curious to see this $50k stereo of yours

Mitsu3000gt
04-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Why don't you buy the car and you can see it every day :D. It's completely built in so the practicality of the car isn't compromised.

JRSC00LUDE
04-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

It's actually just a JVC head w/sony Xplod speakers all around. But, the entire thing is wired with AudioQuest cables.

The resulting aural experience is competition level quality.

Kloubek
04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm going to be a bit of a dick here, and apologize in advance - but perhaps the fact you would spend 50k on a stereo system in a car is a pretty good red flag of the kind of spending that puts someone in a situation where money is "tight"?

Shame you have to get rid of a car as nice as a newer S4.... I feel your pain....

Mitsu3000gt
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

It's actually just a JVC head w/sony Xplod speakers all around. But, the entire things is wired with AudioQuest cables.

The resulting aural experience is competition level quality.

:rofl: I wish it had AudioQuest cables but sadly it doesn't.

The previous owner did in fact win the sound quality competition he built it to compete in though :thumbsup:.

Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm going to be a bit of a dick here, and apologize in advance - but perhaps the fact you would spend 50k on a stereo system in a car is a pretty good red flag of the kind of spending that puts someone in a situation where money is "tight"?

Shame you have to get rid of a car as nice as a newer S4.... I feel your pain....

Previous/original owner did it. I would never in a million years pay $50k for a stereo but I sure am glad someone else did :)

I am not suffering financially or anything, I just have mortgage payments now and want to focus more on investments. This car does not make sense for me with how little I drive. I am looking to get rid of my monthly car payment.

Tomaz
04-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Economy you say?

You have mentioned a few already, but I am there could be a few others that would work for you.

Mazda 3 -Biased towards ;)
Mitsu Lancer
Ford Focus - Very good vehicle IMO
Kia Forte - I only like the coupe
Toyota Matrix

Perhaps an older Jetta turbo would be a good fit for you?

Just throwing out ideas.

shakalaka
04-28-2011, 07:24 PM
You should get a 350z or is that too 'non-luxury' for you? I wouldn't mind getting rid of mine and get something else. Haha

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Well, my car will be up for sale very soon :(.

What do you guys think about a VW Rabbit? 2008-2009. It seems like they offer more car for the money compared to a Civic/Mazda 3. The 2 people I know who own them love them but I don't know much else about them. Any major issues? The only think I know about them is that some are made in Germany, some in Mexico so I would obviously want the German one!

Thanks!

Originally posted by shakalaka
You should get a 350z or is that too 'non-luxury' for you? I wouldn't mind getting rid of mine and get something else. Haha

I need 4 doors and something less expensive ($15-18k ish). :) I don't think the word luxury even applies to anything I'm looking at haha.

Aleks
05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, my car will be up for sale very soon :(.

What do you guys think about a VW Rabbit? 2008-2009. It seems like they offer more car for the money compared to a Civic/Mazda 3. The 2 people I know who own them love them but I don't know much else about them. Any major issues? The only think I know about them is that some are made in Germany, some in Mexico so I would obviously want the German one!

Thanks!

I need 4 doors and something less expensive ($15-18k ish). :) I don't think the word luxury even applies to anything I'm looking at haha.

I had a 2007 VW Rabbit before piking up a 2008 GTI. Only difference is they got 20 more hp for 08-09. Drives like a typical German car so it doesn't hop around like a Civic does. I really enjoyed driving it for the short time I had it. Makes a pretty cool sound being a 5 cylinder too.

CR has it rated at above average reliability and I've only heard good things about the 2.5L. No major issues that seem to plaque the other VW turbo engines. Also the auto is not a DSG so that's probably why it has better reliability. If you're buying a manual it doesn't matter.

The only thing is that it will burn about 2 more liters per 100kms than a civic but it will be on par with the Mazda 3 in terms of fuel usage.

edit: All the Rabbits (07-09) were made in Germany.

Stealth22
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
You thought about importing from the USA? I did a quick search on Subaru's in the Seattle area, and found this. It's a 2.5i, but its a Legacy for $18k. 63000kms on it, and I'll go out on a limb and say you could haggle on the price.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=299486004

Neil4Speed
05-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I think that you were on the right track with the TL/RL. You would probably save about 2-3k settling for a TL vs an RL, but I think you really do get allot for your money for the RL (drive both and you will see). They really are fantastic drivers, a well designed car with AWD, and reliable. 300hp isn't bad as well.

Sugarphreak
05-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Phenix
05-25-2011, 10:36 AM
How about A 2.0t Gencoupe? RWD is always fun

here's one for sale:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-GT-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ285181165

InRich
05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I might have a buyer for your S4 if you do decide to sell it.

max_boost
05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm in the same boat. I want to pick up another daily driver to lessen the mileage I'm putting on my GTI. I average around 100kms+/day so I can't decide if I want something cheaper or pay a bit extra to get a car that's more fun. Instead of putting 40,000kms on one car, I can split that over 2 cars. Just an excuse to get another car really lol

Pics of $50k stereo? lol I honestly thought the days of spending a crazy amount for car audio in a car was gone haha

You consider WRX? I still think GTI is best bang for buck everything considered and won't be too far off from your S4 (modded of course).

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the input.

Aleks - thanks for the info on the Rabbit. Sounds like something I am going to take a very close look at. Also good to know they are all made in Germany. Are any made in mexico or was I given misinformation?

Stealth22 - For this car, I don't think I'm willing to go through the hassle of buying a USA car. I need something ASAP after the sale of my S4.

Neil4Speed - Contrary to the thread title, my budget is more like $15-17k. That rules out all but the super high mileage TL's according to my searches. I also don't want a car more than 3-5 years old or with high KM.

Sugarphreak - I looked at accords, but with my $15-17k ish budget, it looks like the only ones in my price range have super high KM, or are older 4cyl models.

Phenix - Way above my budget unfortunately.

InRich - It will definitely be for sale, and within a week or so I'd imagine. Thanks for the heads up!

max_boost - I looked at WRX's but the current body style seems to be a bit out of my price range. I don't want an older car or with high KM. I'd love a GTI but those are also out of my price range unless I go older than I'd like.

I don't have any good pics right now but here is a couple of the trunk only. Everything is BRAX. All custom fiberglass work, all panels have been sprayed with sound deadening, etc. There are ZERO rattles, no matter what volume. Workmanship on the install is unreal. Sounds pretty amazing too :).

http://mschlosser.smugmug.com/photos/569167812_aiHrD-XL.jpg

http://mschlosser.smugmug.com/photos/569167408_Mn5gN-XL.jpg

Travel_Dude
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I have driven your S4, im friends with the original owner. He is the Canadian supplier for Braxx/Helix products. The car is legit. Stereo really is worth 50k new.

Aleks
05-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Aleks - thanks for the info on the Rabbit. Sounds like something I am going to take a very close look at. Also good to know they are all made in Germany. Are any made in mexico or was I given misinformation?

Jettas are made in Mexico, Golfs and GTIs are made in Germany so maybe that's where the misunderstanding comes from.

Sorath
05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
any more details on your s4? more pictures? you can pm them to me

CapnCrunch
05-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Just buy a beater. You clearly don't need a 15K car. If I drove that little I'd spend like 5K max. Don't let your ego get in the way of making a smart decision.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Jettas are made in Mexico, Golfs and GTIs are made in Germany so maybe that's where the misunderstanding comes from.

Not 100% accurate. The shitty Golfs (City Golf) are built in Brazil.

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Travel_Dude
I have driven your S4, im friends with the original owner. He is the Canadian supplier for Braxx/Helix products. The car is legit. Stereo really is worth 50k new.

Thanks! I think you told me about this car in the first place haha.

Originally posted by Sorath
any more details on your s4? more pictures? you can pm them to me

I'll send you some details ASAP. Insanely busy at work today so I can't do it right now but I'll have time tonight or tomorrow to put something together.

Cos
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Just buy a beater. You clearly don't need a 15K car. If I drove that little I'd spend like 5K max. Don't let your ego get in the way of making a smart decision.

:werd:

if I lived downtown I would have one of two things:

- 2 or 3k car that I could park and crash anywhere
- 50/60k summer car only and walk my ass around downtown.

I dont see the point in selling your car to get a bland car, get something dirt cheap, and then enjoy the extra 10k in cash. Not like you are going to cruise 17th with a City Golf anyways.

dirtsniffer
05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
how about a tsx?

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Well I don't want a beater for several reasons, including reliability, safety, highway worthiness, and comfort. Also now that I have a new GF I will be driving a little bit more, anyways. I don't want to buy a money pit.

All I want is to eliminate my car payment, I don't need spare cash out of the deal.

You make good arguments but I want something decent still.

And I wouldn't even cruise 17th if I had a Veyron haha.

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
how about a tsx?

Not a bad idea actually, I will check them out. Bye bye torque :cry:

clem24
05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
1st gen CTS-V? I've seen 06's go for less than $20k. That's a lot of performance for the dollar. Looks are a little dated though. But same price as a similar Leggy and will eat it for lunch every time.

Another car I'd consider is the E46 330i ZHP. But then it's a BMW, could potentially turn into a money pit (but I think the E46s are generally reliable). But if your budget is $20 and I've seen some ZHPs go for $17, that leaves $3k for stuff down the road.

Or if you could stretch it a bit, you can do the E92 330/328.

Might I also add the G35. I've seen second gen G35s in low 20s, like this one:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Infiniti-G-35-3-5-V6-SPORT-W0QQAdIdZ275310875

bigbadboss101
05-25-2011, 05:07 PM
I had a 2003 TL and it was a very good car. At about 120k I trade it and cash for a CTS-V. The Acura's should be relatively trouble free after you check for the transmission recall. Same with Accords, they are low maintenance. At $14-17k you should be able to find a decent one with good mileage.

Civics, Mazda 3's aren't bad for economy cars. Legacy GT would be a nice option too.

Aleks
05-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Not 100% accurate. The shitty Golfs (City Golf) are built in Brazil.

Correct but I was referring to the MkV, just never got used to Rabbit as it's back to Golf again for 2010+

soloracer
05-25-2011, 07:18 PM

Stealth22 - For this car, I don't think I'm willing to go through the hassle of buying a USA car. I need something ASAP after the sale of my S4.

Neil4Speed - Contrary to the thread title, my budget is more like $15-17k. That rules out all but the super high mileage TL's according to my searches. I also don't want a car more than 3-5 years old or with high KM.

Sugarphreak - I looked at accords, but with my $15-17k ish budget, it looks like the only ones in my price range have super high KM, or are older 4cyl models.

Phenix - Way above my budget unfortunately.

InRich - It will definitely be for sale, and within a week or so I'd imagine. Thanks for the heads up!

max_boost - I looked at WRX's but the current body style seems to be a bit out of my price range. I don't want an older car or with high KM. I'd love a GTI but those are also out of my price range unless I go older than I'd like.

I don't have any good pics right now but here is a couple of the trunk only. Everything is BRAX. All custom fiberglass work, all panels have been sprayed with sound deadening, etc. There are ZERO rattles, no matter what volume. Workmanship on the install is unreal. Sounds pretty amazing too :).

http://mschlosser.smugmug.com/photos/569167812_aiHrD-XL.jpg

http://mschlosser.smugmug.com/photos/569167408_Mn5gN-XL.jpg

$50k doesn't buy much these days does it?

Kg810
05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

$50k doesn't buy much these days does it?

Hey noob,

The car is a 2006 S4, that was 5 years ago :facepalm:.

redline
05-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Kg810

Hey noob,

:facepalm:

vengie
05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Kg810

Hey noob,

You must be new here... Not to mention he was talking about the stereo... Not the car itself

Accord_tunerx
05-25-2011, 09:56 PM
lexus is250?

tehwegz
05-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
lexus is250?

or 00-05 lexus is300 :)

Mitsu3000gt
05-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Some more good suggestions.

I guess what my dilemma is, is do I want an older nicer car, or a newer, more reliable car. I think I want a newer car, even though it may not be as fun. This is only a temporary thing anyways.

I've thought about 330i's, G35's, etc. and I think I just want something newer with less KM. They also stretch my budget a bit, which is $15-17k. I can't stretch it to $20k. All of the older, nicer, cars in my price range seem to have way too high KM for my liking. I want something under 80,000 KM, preferably closer to 60,000 KM.

I looked at IS250's because they are still new enough but it looks like I need more than $20k for a decent one.

IS300 is actually very interesting, but I can only find one 2004 for sale. No 2005's for sale. I don't want an 8 year old car I don't think.

I'm going to get out this weekend and drive some cars. I should have a better idea of what I want after that.

clem24
05-26-2011, 02:35 PM
^^^ With those kind of specs, just grab a Ford Fusion.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2010-Ford-Fusion-se-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ259929792

2010 for $16.

Xtrema
05-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Don't count the fusion out. It's actually not a bad drive.

Guillermo
05-26-2011, 03:03 PM
i had a fusion as a rental for a few weeks, wasn't a fan. front headlights look good, other than that it just reminded me of an old domestic sedan. :zzz: (and ii'm not even an import fanboy.) also, the textured rubber steering wheel, dash, etc. reminded me of something taht walked out of 1993.

Mitsu3000gt
05-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm VERY skeptical of the Fusion. I've only started to like Ford's most recent offerings. I've never liked that car. I don't think I've driven one though. If I have, it wasn't memorable. I wouldn't be opposed to a test drive though.

What do you guys think of a GTI?

This is a little above my price range but I might be able to find one for $18-19k:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/GTI/EDMONTON/Alberta/19_3872136_/

If I chipped that 2.0T you get 254hp/294tq on 91 octane which would put it in line with my current car for performance. Can the DSG handle the extra power? I've always kind of wanted a GTI too.

I've read of that 2.0T having oil burning issues, is that the norm?

Then again, if I stretch the budget by 1-2k, I can afford other things too :rofl:. The best thing I can do I think is just go out and drive as many things as I can. There are too many choices.

Thanks for the continued input though guys, I appreciate it.

Guillermo
05-26-2011, 03:33 PM
^^i wouldn't touch a GTI for the life of me. my brother bought one new, kept it stock but still dumped a TON of $$$ into repair and maintenance. i've heard really bad things about reliability from other people too.

if you're looking in that class, i would consider a mazdaspeed3. far better car, IMO. or, what about a kia forte?

Mitsu3000gt
05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
^^i wouldn't touch a GTI for the life of me. my brother bought one new, kept it stock but still dumped a TON of $$$ into repair and maintenance. i've heard really bad things about reliability from other people too.

if you're looking in that class, i would consider a mazdaspeed3. far better car, IMO. or, what about a kia forte?

Interesting. What issues did your brother have with his GTI? Did it have just as many issues when it was under warranty?

Isn't Mazda's Turbo 4cyl a POS? I've heard bad things about that engine they put in the Mazdaspeed cars.

Kg810
05-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Interesting. What issues did your brother have with his GTI? Did it have just as many issues when it was under warranty?

Isn't Mazda's Turbo 4cyl a POS? I've heard bad things about that engine they put in the Mazdaspeed cars.

I rather stay away from Mazda than a VW GTI.

GTI's are great cars and they don't feel cheap on the inside.

Originally posted by vengie

You must be new here... Not to mention he was talking about the stereo... Not the car itself

Considering how he said "$50k doesn't buy much these days does it? " implies he probably looked over the fact that the car was a 2006 vehicle. The car itself was probably $65k-$70k new, so a $50k sound system back then is nothing to scoff at.

Just like the car, the sound system's value and looks does not scale and compare to what you could get in today's dollars.

Thanks for understanding :rolleyes: .

403Gemini
05-26-2011, 04:26 PM
2006 WRX .... buy mine ;) lol

edit: btw this post isn't tongue in cheek , I'm serious about it :D I'm looking at buying a house this year and I need to cut back on some monthly expenses

Guillermo
05-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Interesting. What issues did your brother have with his GTI?

i would have to write and ask him for details. and none of it was covered by warranty, afaik.

Guillermo
05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
gave him a call, it was an '03 GTI. he couldn't remember all the problems he had, but said he probably spent about $10k out of pocket on it. here are some of the bigger things he can remember: clutch slave cylinder went twice, master cylinder once, also the "whole power steering system" (rack and pinion and more, as he recalls). then one day he's driving in a giant snowstorm on a bridge in seattle, hears a big "klunk klunk," had to get his car towed and swingarm (or something bolts) onto transmission housing, the bolts sheared off and fucked up the suspension. sorry, can't be more specific about the problems :nut:

Guillermo
05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
and if you're worried about the engine in the mazdaspeed (i'm not familiar with the probs you mention), why not look at the regular mazda3? i just mentioned the speed since it's more comparable to a GTI, but the regular mazda3 is plenty zippy for a commuter car. sure it's not a luxury car, and while there is hard plastic around, the interior is well designed. the car is also has a good reputation. i just mention it since I think you'd be hard pressed to find a similar hatch in that price range, that compares in terms of price, reliability, design, performance, etc.

Mitsu3000gt
05-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks for checking with your bro. A 2003 GTI is a quite a bit different from a 2008 GTI though in terms of componentry, engine, etc. I can only assume it isn't fair to say a 2008+ GTI is as unreliable as a 2003 model. Also I believe the latest 2.0T TSI is more reliable than even the 2.0T FSI as they eliminated some parts, introduced a timing chain, made the water pump run off the serpentine belt rather than the timing belt, etc.

The Mazda 3 is on my list, but I hear so many mixed things about Mazda it has me a little worried. I am going to drive one this weekend.

Without having driven anything yet, I *think* a GTI will come the closest to making me feel like I haven't made as big of a downgrade. I get easily best-in-class build quality & interior, a motor that if chipped would equal my S4' performance (or at least feel fast), good fuel economy, and stay very close to my budget.

If I am pleasantly surprised by something cheaper then that will be great too.

Kg810
05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
^
You should PM Rage2 to see if he can provide you any info on a MKV GTI, I believed he owned one.

You can also check out golfmkv.com and vwvortex.com and see if there are any issues that you wouldn't feel comfortable getting into.

Aleks
05-26-2011, 06:25 PM
MS3 and GTI will be about equal in terms of reliability as they both have well documentet issues. I had a 2008 GTI with DSG and as most DI turbos it did go through oil. If you chip it, that will make the problem worse. My mechatronics unit was also acting up. But they extended my trans warranty to 10 yrs so that was nice. I would probably not own any turbo car out of warranty.

If you want a fun car and don't want to worry about turbos and DI take a look at Civic Si. Pretty fun to drive, economical and can be had for well under 20k used.

Mitsu3000gt
05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
MS3 and GTI will be about equal in terms of reliability as they both have well documentet issues. I had a 2008 GTI with DSG and as most DI turbos it did go through oil. If you chip it, that will make the problem worse. My mechatronics unit was also acting up. But they extended my trans warranty to 10 yrs so that was nice. I would probably not own any turbo car out of warranty.

If you want a fun car and don't want to worry about turbos and DI take a look at Civic Si. Pretty fun to drive, economical and can be had for well under 20k used.

Do all DSG GTI's have a 10 year extended transmission warranty?

Why wouldn't you own a turbo car out of warranty? Isn't a turbo job only about $1300? (K03 turbo + ~5hr labor)

I don't care if it eats a bit of oil, so long as that's normal.

The Civic Si is on my test drive list for this weekend.

Aleks
05-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Do all DSG GTI's have a 10 year extended transmission warranty?

Why wouldn't you own a turbo car out of warranty? Isn't a turbo job only about $1300? (K03 turbo + ~5hr labor)

I don't care if it eats a bit of oil, so long as that's normal.

The Civic Si is on my test drive list for this weekend.

I think only certain 06-08 GTIs got the extension but I'm not sure. Turbo thing is just a personal preference from reading about issues in cars like 335, gti, sti, ms3, ms6, etc.

Mitsu3000gt
05-26-2011, 08:08 PM

I think only certain 06-08 GTIs got the extension but I'm not sure. Turbo thing is just a personal preference from reading about issues in cars like 335, gti, sti, ms3, ms6, etc.

I read that the warranty was extended in the states for 2007-2010 DSG transmissions, but if they did that in Canada too that is awesome.

Aleks
05-26-2011, 09:37 PM

I read that the warranty was extended in the states for 2007-2010 DSG transmissions, but if they did that in Canada too that is awesome.

It would be easy to check by asking the dealer to run the VIN. All I know is I got a letter in the mail stating that my warranty was extended to 10 yrs because they were confident the DSG was fine it was just the control unit that was faulty.

clem24
05-27-2011, 08:50 AM
So the VW is over your budget yet you stated you didn't want to go that far? The $20 region opens up a lot of options. Personally I am quite a fan of the GTI, but only the MKVI. I think it looks better, and the interior is nicer. Those are big bonuses for me even if they're essentially the same car. You can source a 2010 for around $24k after taxes from the US if you have a few days to spare. A car that's 2 years newer and will have much better resale is a bonus in my books, especially if this car is going to be a temporary replacement.

But hey, here's another crazy idea. If you're into spending that much, you can also get yourself into a 2011/12 brand spanking new, fully warrantied Mustang V6. It's $24.5k out the door before any negotiating, and take $1k off if you're a Costco member. That thing will run circles around the GTI.

Or if you're looking into freeing up some cash, Hyundai has 0% financing on the Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Last year, they cleared out base models for $22k or so out the door, which is an absolute bargain for that car.

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by clem24
So the VW is over your budget yet you stated you didn't want to go that far? The $20 region opens up a lot of options. Personally I am quite a fan of the GTI, but only the MKVI. I think it looks better, and the interior is nicer. Those are big bonuses for me even if they're essentially the same car. You can source a 2010 for around $24k after taxes from the US if you have a few days to spare. A car that's 2 years newer and will have much better resale is a bonus in my books, especially if this car is going to be a temporary replacement.

But hey, here's another crazy idea. If you're into spending that much, you can also get yourself into a 2011/12 brand spanking new, fully warrantied Mustang V6. It's $24.5k out the door before any negotiating, and take $1k off if you're a Costco member. That thing will run circles around the GTI.

Or if you're looking into freeing up some cash, Hyundai has 0% financing on the Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Last year, they cleared out base models for $22k or so out the door, which is an absolute bargain for that car.

The plan is to sell my current car, pay off the money owing on it to eliminate my car payment, and buy something with the balance.

I'm thinking I might be able to stretch the budget to $18-19k instead of $15-17k, that's all. $24k is simply not possible if I want to eliminate my car payment, which is one of the reasons I'm selling my current car.

I know I'm indecisive haha, and I know there will always be something better for only $1-2k more each time. I have to draw the line somewhere.

It looks like I can get a 2008 GTI for $19ish, so that is why I was thinking about them. I do not like the mustangs unfortunately, so even if it was a good deal I wouldn't want one. $24k is too much anyways.

I did some reading on the VW forums though and that DSG tranny scares me. I wouldn't buy one without the 10 year warranty. I'd just get the 6spd manual instead. I love DSG transmissions, but it seems a lot of people have issues with them.

The reason I was thinking GTI is because it's probably the closest 'cheap' car I can get to my Audi without getting something much older.

I am going out tomorrow to test drive a bunch of stuff. After that I hopefully will have narrowed it down a bit.

So far it looks like my requirements are a 2007-8 or newer vehicle with low KM for $17-19k maximum. That's really pushing my budget too. I'd entertain older vehicles if they had extremely low KM.

Anyways I appreciate the input. The more options I have to think about, the better.

clem24
05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
So far it looks like my requirements are a 2007-8 or newer vehicle with low KM for $17-19k maximum. That's really pushing my budget too. I'd entertain older vehicles if they had extremely low KM.

I don't know dude.. I am not seeing a single 08 GTI in that price range. Heck, $18k is the median of all the 07s. All the 08s looks like they are in the low 20s, which puts it right into the region of a 2010 imported USDM. And if you do find one at that price, chances are it'll be the shittiest example out there. I think you might even do better by, selling your car, keeping your cash and looking at taking over someone's lease. That way you'll generate some good positive cash flow.

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 12:05 PM

I don't know dude.. I am not seeing a single 08 GTI in that price range. Heck, $18k is the median of all the 07s. All the 08s looks like they are in the low 20s, which puts it right into the region of a 2010 imported USDM. And if you do find one at that price, chances are it'll be the shittiest example out there. I think you might even do better by, selling your car, keeping your cash and looking at taking over someone's lease. That way you'll generate some good positive cash flow.

Well I saw a 2008 GTI for $20k & change and 60,000km so I figured I it could be had for $19k or so. Owner claimed excellent condition, 2 sets of rims, etc.

Simply greatly reducing my payment (currently $530/mo) isn't a bad idea either. So many options to look at. I'll report back after my test drives tomorrow!

Thanks again.

max_boost
05-27-2011, 01:46 PM
^^

Did that ad get pulled because I can't find it anymore but I do remember seeing it. It definitely looks good on paper so hopefully it'll work out for you.

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^

Did that ad get pulled because I can't find it anymore but I do remember seeing it. It definitely looks good on paper so hopefully it'll work out for you.

Neither can I...looks like it's gone. It looked like good one!

This one is similar, not quite as good:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/GTI/LETHBRIDGE/Alberta/5_9247780_20048594638706/

Guillermo
05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
^^IMO, the mazda3 has a way better interior than that. why do you say you get "best in class interior?" to me that GTI interior looks REALLY dated, and is just as hard plastic as a mazda3. :dunno:

Neil4Speed
05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Two suggestions for you Mitsu.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Acura-TL-Dynamic-Edition-6spd-Brembo-Brakes-79-000kms-W0QQAdIdZ285892742

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2009-Acura-TSX-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ285982705

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 03:10 PM
^^IMO, the mazda3 has a way better interior than that. why do you say you get "best in class interior?" to me that GTI interior looks REALLY dated, and is just as hard plastic as a mazda3. :dunno:

I assumed it did. Last GTI I saw had a wicked interior, IMO. Shares interior parts with Audi I believe. I haven't been in one in a while though, so maybe I'm wrong. We'll see tomorrow. I'm also looking at Mazda 3's.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Two suggestions for you Mitsu.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Acura-TL-Dynamic-Edition-6spd-Brembo-Brakes-79-000kms-W0QQAdIdZ285892742

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2009-Acura-TSX-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ285982705

Thanks!

That TL actually looks great even though it's older than I'd like.

The TSX has fairly high KM but since I drive so little, just about anything I own will be low KM again after a couple years.

clem24
05-27-2011, 03:48 PM
The TSX has fairly high KM but since I drive so little, just about anything I own will be low KM again after a couple years.

WTF?? 92k for an 09? Did the guy drive to China and back a few times last year???

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 03:52 PM
^^^ Haha yeah that is crazy high KM.

I'd like to find something with 30-70k max ideally.

max_boost
05-27-2011, 03:53 PM
92K isn't that crazy. It's 2009 model but maybe he got the car in Dec 2008? That's about 30 months of driving. I average around 3000kms a month personally. Maybe the guy owns a restaurant and uses it for deliveries too.

clem24
05-27-2011, 04:14 PM
And might I add.. TL = Torque Steer city. Plus they're for old guys who can't afford to drive BMWs.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
TL's have weak ass trannys for almost all years and should be avoided.

TSX's are great cars, they have lots of power for a 4 cyl and drive really nice.

I personally like Altima 3.5's loaded. Lots can be found for under 20,000 and they have GOBS of power without the durability problem that the subarus have regarding head/piston problems.

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 04:34 PM
And might I add.. TL = Torque Steer city. Plus they're for old guys who can't afford to drive BMWs.

I do recall torque steer when I drove one. I'm not a hard driver though.

I am a poor young guy who doesn't want to pay to fix a 10 year old BMW haha.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
TL's have weak ass trannys for almost all years and should be avoided.

TSX's are great cars, they have lots of power for a 4 cyl and drive really nice.

I personally like Altima 3.5's loaded. Lots can be found for under 20,000 and they have GOBS of power without the durability problem that the subarus have regarding head/piston problems.

The only thing I don't like about the TSX is zero torque and all it's power is made at 100,000,000 RPM haha. Not many cars im looking at have much torque though :cry:

Had no idea TL transmissions were bad but I would only buy the 6-speed...did the manuals have the same issues?

AE92_TreunoSC
05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Manuals are solid. Harder to find.

Google TL transmission problem haha. They are more known for the 3.2's failing but I've seen every year slip 1st-2nd.

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Manuals are solid. Harder to find.

Google TL transmission problem haha. They are more known for the 3.2's failing but I've seen every year slip 1st-2nd.

Cool thanks. The link for the TL Neil4Speed posted was a manual.

^^

I found it but it was a 2007, not a 2008 like I thought:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Volkswagen-GTI-Hatchback-6Spd-2-0T-Hatchbk-W0QQAdIdZ285501565

2007's had the FSI engine, not the TSI if I recall.

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 05:11 PM
So whats the word on the Mazdaspeed engine? I've heard it wasn't great but I found some speed 3's close to my price range:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2008-Mazda-Mazdaspeed-3-W0QQAdIdZ277574726

This one is also listed at $26,XXX on autotrader. Not sure which price is right:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2009-Mazdaspeed-3-W0QQAdIdZ253566235

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2006-Mazdaspeed6-AWD-Turbocharged-Low-KMs-W0QQAdIdZ282502244

max_boost
05-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Cool thanks. The link for the TL Neil4Speed posted was a manual.

I found it but it was a 2007, not a 2008 like I thought:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Volkswagen-GTI-Hatchback-6Spd-2-0T-Hatchbk-W0QQAdIdZ285501565

2007's had the FSI engine, not the TSI if I recall.

The other one was an 08, Silver I think, 60,000kms and only asking $20,500. It was priced to sell.

Mitsu3000gt
05-27-2011, 05:18 PM
And why are cars so much cheaper on Kijiji than Canada Trader?

There are even A3's close to my price range:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Audi-A3-2-0T-DSG-S-Line-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ265573582

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Audi-A3-19-999-00-W0QQAdIdZ282429901

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Ok So I test drove some things this weekend:

2010 Mazda 3 2.5L - Decent car. The one I was in had the larger engine but not a good trim level so it was a little off putting. Interior was quite poor. Drove decently, had adequate low-end power. Worst shifter of the bunch by far. Seemed to under steer a lot in the corners, but any FWD car probably does.

2009 VW Rabbit - This car was extremely boring. The only thing I liked about it was the engine & transmission. It had the best manual of the bunch IMO. Good low-end power, acceptable for city driving. Nothing else about it excited me though.

2009 Honda Civic Si 4door - This car had the nicest interior of the bunch, by far the best factory stereo of the bunch, lots of room, lots of hookups (Ipod, USB). Best interior of the bunch, sounded the best over bumps/railroad tracks, etc. My only complaint was that motor. It seems like it just has absolutely no power unless you want to shift at 8,000 RPM every time. Everything about this car was better than I expected except I am undecided as to whether I can deal with that engine or not.

2008 Lexus IS250 - Automatic, AWD. This car is at Hyundai Gallery and is the hugest POS ever. Do not buy this car. If you're thinking of looking at this sample, don't waste your time. It's EXTREMELY dirty, interior is beat to shit. Previous owners completely neglected this car. Test drove it, at least one tire had very low pressure (according to the car). Typical lexus, completely disconnected from the driving experience but extremely smooth and quiet. It drove nice still. Power was adequate but not good.

So, the best of the day by far was that Civic Si. Any comments on that car? Is that motor super annoying after a while? What do you guys think? It appealed to me because it was the nicest to be in, OK to drive, and guaranteed super reliable with good gas mileage. Again, I'm just not sure about that motor.

Thanks!

clem24
05-30-2011, 08:27 AM
sounded the best over bumps/railroad tracks, etc.

Bahahaha, first time I think I've ever read that in a car review.

Disoblige
05-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Civic Si sedan, nice choice if you go for it! Good interior like you stated, and overall very reliable and decently fun to drive for what it is.

Like most Honda engines w/Vtec, not much happening under 5600 rpm. Low end power isn't bad, just nothing special.

Out of all the cars you've test drove, the Si is a no brainer to me.

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Bahahaha, first time I think I've ever read that in a car review.

Haha, true, it isn't something normally mentioned but I like there to be no squeaks/creaks/rattles when driving over bumps. Railroad tracks and shitty roads are perfect testing grounds. Of everything I drove, the Civic handled them the best with no noise other than a muted "thud" under the wheels. All other cars made unpleasant noises that shouldn't be present if the car was put together properly IMO.

Originally posted by Disoblige
Civic Si sedan, nice choice if you go for it! Good interior like you stated, and overall very reliable and decently fun to drive for what it is.

Like most Honda engines w/Vtec, not much happening under 5600 rpm. Low end power isn't bad, just nothing special.

Out of all the cars you've test drove, the Si is a no brainer to me.

Yeah I was kind of thinking like this:

Positives:
- Best interior
- Best storage
- Best stereo (by a huge margin)
- Plenty of room, even for 4 adults.
- Excellent fuel economy (although none are bad)
- Probably the highest resale

Negatives:
- Lots of shifting
- No power down low
- Have to look/sound like a ricer if I want the car to go faster than a very average speed

It has the longest list of pluses of everything I drove, but the most significant negative. On the other hand, I will hardly be driving this car, and as much as I love torque, how often can you really use it on Calgary roads anyways?

I've also decided that I don't want something as old as 05/06, so I stopped looking for G35's, IS250's, etc.

Guillermo
05-30-2011, 09:32 AM
what is the price difference between those cars?

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
what is the price difference between those cars?

They were all $19-21k

I'm banking on getting something for $19k max all in. $18k if it's from a dealer.

I also looked for WRX's but they hold their value too well. I can't get anything newer in my price range.

Neil4Speed
05-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Civic SI is a great car. I think one of the underrated plus of it is that for a "Sport compact" it is extremely comfortable. I wouldn't worry about anyone mistaking you for a ricer as they are bought by a pretty wide variety of people (my friends grandmother has a coupe and grandfather has the sedan)

Do check out the CSX, CSX-X, sometimes overlooked so you might be able to get a nice model for a small amount more.

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Civic SI is a great car. I think one of the underrated plus of it is that for a "Sport compact" it is extremely comfortable. I wouldn't worry about anyone mistaking you for a ricer as they are bought by a pretty wide variety of people (my friends grandmother has a coupe and grandfather has the sedan)

Do check out the CSX, CSX-X, sometimes overlooked so you might be able to get a nice model for a small amount more.

Yeah the Civic interior was by far the nicest place to spend time of all the cars I tried. I got used to the weird dashboard pretty quick, it had very nice radio/climate controls, by far the best factory stereo w/factory sub, great seats, good rear seat room, sunroof, good overall ergonomics, etc. Lots of storage for small items like wallet, cell phone, etc. which is surprisingly absent on most cars. Ipod + USB hookup was a nice bonus. What is the USB hookup even for? Just charging iPods and such?

I've seen a few CSX's for sale but they do seem to command a small premium. I also actually prefer the suede/cloth like material in the Si over the leather a CSX will likely have. The nice thing about cloth is if you take care of it well, it looks brand new even 10 years from now. It's more difficult to do that with leather.

max_boost
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
SI is fantastic. I'd prefer the sedan over the coupe as well.

I am surprised how disappointed you were with the Rabbit though.

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2011, 11:12 AM
SI is fantastic. I'd prefer the sedan over the coupe as well.

I am surprised how disappointed you were with the Rabbit though.

Same here - I MUCH prefer the sedan, I think it looks quite good, especially in that dark greyish color. The rear seats were surprisingly very usable as well, even for adults.

The Rabbit wasn't bad, it was just that nothing about it really stood out for me. It had the best engine and transmission though, with more than adequate low-end power for normal city driving. Maybe I just drove a bad sample but the everything else about it seemed quite average. It drove nice and everything but I expected it to be more impressive. It also rattled a lot over bumps, so again, maybe it was just a bad sample. It was a 2009 that I drove. It felt less like a typical German car than I am used to seeing with VW. Maybe it's all in my head, or maybe the competition is just getting a bit better, but that was my impression.

gyu
05-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Yeah the Civic interior was by far the nicest place to spend time of all the cars I tried. I got used to the weird dashboard pretty quick, it had very nice radio/climate controls, by far the best factory stereo w/factory sub, great seats, good rear seat room, sunroof, good overall ergonomics, etc. Lots of storage for small items like wallet, cell phone, etc. which is surprisingly absent on most cars. Ipod + USB hookup was a nice bonus. What is the USB hookup even for? Just charging iPods and such?

I've seen a few CSX's for sale but they do seem to command a small premium. I also actually prefer the suede/cloth like material in the Si over the leather a CSX will likely have. The nice thing about cloth is if you take care of it well, it looks brand new even 10 years from now. It's more difficult to do that with leather.

The USB you can plug in a flash drive or an iPod to play music.
The Si seats are more bolstering than the CSX-S if that matters.
There is a couple places in the car that I found to rattle but it's not noticeable when I have my stereo going, and I don't listen to it loudly either (volume at 5 or 6 at most)

The_Rural_Juror
05-30-2011, 01:46 PM
That's a very nice S4. Certainly not what I was expecting from a cat lover.

davesparky6
05-31-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a CSX type s... And in the past I've had an 06 SI... I do know what you mean about the lack of torque, however I find that the 2.0 is a riot.
Stuff that you don't get with the civic:
Leather
Nav
Heated seats
TPMS
Traction Control (09 SI has it)
Factory HID's
+ a bit of badge snobbery :rofl:
The only thing to watch out for in an 09 is tire wear, the factory Michelins only last ~50k km

Mitsu3000gt
05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
^^^ Thanks, that is good info.

Also, what do you guys think about the TSX? Any known issues or trouble spots? I am going to test drive a couple tonight. I found some 2007's in my price range with 60-70K KM. 6-speed of course. I'm guessing that 2.4L has a lot more low end power than the Si, but not a ton. I've never been a huge fan of the car because it's slow and has not much torque, but now I'm shopping that segment specifically :rofl: . Funny how things change.

Still bouncing back and forth between a nicer, slightly older car or an almost new economy car.

clem24
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by davesparky6
Stuff that you don't get with the civic:

TPMS
Traction Control (09 SI has it)

Huge plus in my books!! TPMS = useless. Constantly sending false alarms, makes after rims more expensive, etc... They only put it in there because people are too fucking stupid/retarded. And who needs TCS?!?

Civic Si = no TCS + factory helical LSD + studded winters + < 3000lbs = HELLA FUN in the winter!!!!

Aleks
05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
IIRC every new 2012 car in Canada has to have it.

PS new Si has Nav standard now.

Mitsu3000gt
05-31-2011, 09:27 PM
I drove a TSX tonight (2007 with just under 70K KM) but unfortunately the car was a bad sample. The clutch badly needed replacement or adjustment (felt like a mushy brake pedal, and could not be pushed far in enough to engage properly, even with the pedal on the floor). It had also been smoked in and clearly lived a rough life with a careless owner. Lots of scratches inside, curb rash on the rims, and the finish on top of the gear shifter was completely worn off from a ring or something. It was at Calgary Honda. The salesman was a really good guy though.

Aside from that, the car was well mannered, had adequate power, good overall feel, decent stereo, and all the options anyone could reasonably want.

I think if I found an excellent sample of the TSX I would prefer it to a newer Civic Si.

gyu
06-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Have you considered the Hyundai Genesis?

Mitsu3000gt
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by gyu
Have you considered the Hyundai Genesis?

I have, and I don't want a 2-door unfortunately.

I want to drive another TSX without a clutch that is completely F'd and that has been taken care of.