PDA

View Full Version : Lane change question

heavyfuel
04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Just wondering, say I needed to make a lane change to exit, or make a turn from that lane, and I signal, make sure buddy behind me saw me, safely make my lane change, does that give buddy behind me the right to get all road ragey on my ass? Seems to me like a signal light tells them to speed up, even if the car in the lane you're merging into is a hundred feet back they always seem to hit the gas the moment you signal. Wtf? I'm not talking a last minute douchebag 3-lane swoop into an off ramp, but a well planned and executed, signalled lane change. Why do people get so pissy about it?

captain134
04-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Just wondering, say I needed to make a lane change to exit, or make a turn from that lane, and I signal, make sure buddy behind me saw me, safely make my lane change, does that give buddy behind me the right to get all road ragey on my ass?

Seems to me like a signal light tells them to speed up, even if the car in the lane you're merging into is a hundred feet back they always seem to hit the gas the moment you signal. Wtf?

I'm not talking a last minute douchebag 3-lane swoop into an off ramp, but a well planned and executed, signalled lane change.

Why do people get so pissy about it?

NoMoreG35
04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Seems like a Calgary thing :dunno:

bookem
04-28-2011, 08:14 PM
In Alberta, the guy behind you legally owns the 100ft between his front bumper and the rear bumper of the person in front. You are trespassing and may be shot; he's letting you off with a warning.

revelations
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I dont have any of these problems.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
If people signal and aren't racing around I will happily let them in, even if they should have done it earlier.

I reward people for signalling and being patient.

But if you flip the signal on while you're cutting me off, that doesnt count and I'll go calgarian on your ass.

rage2
04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
9 times out of 10, if I'm driving completely normal and signal, I'll get the "it's my space speed-up" and not make it in. If a car is approaching faster than me and I make my change safely, if the driver has to let off at all or tap the brakes I'll get the road rage like the OP described.

I do have a solution though... drive like a douche! Turn in first, signal after, and accelerate hard. That way, there's no time for the driver behind to anticipate and speed up, they don't have to let off or slow down, and I've accomplished the signalling so I can't get a ticket for it. Pretty much the perfect routine haha. Never had a road rager using this method, and I drive a LOT of rush hour which requires tons of proper lane change decisions to make it thru quick.

Interesting enough, when driving with US plates, I can drive all the way to the end of a free exit lane, slow to a stop, signal to get back in and ppl still let me in! :rofl:

Disoblige
04-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I do have a solution though... drive like a douche! Turn in first, signal after, and accelerate hard. That way, there's no time for the driver behind to anticipate and speed up, they don't have to let off or slow down, and I've accomplished the signalling so I can't get a ticket for it. Pretty much the perfect routine haha. Never had a road rager using this method, and I drive a LOT of rush hour which requires tons of proper lane change decisions to make it thru quick.

I do that most of the time, but I realize sometimes the cars end up braking slightly anyways because they didn't anticipate a hard acceleration. Then again, maybe my cars are just slow compared to yours. :rofl:

J-hop
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Interesting enough, when driving with US plates, I can drive all the way to the end of a free exit lane, slow to a stop, signal to get back in and ppl still let me in! :rofl:

haha that is awesome. My favorite lane changers are those who steer where they look so as they are shoulder checking/ putting on their signal they end up a foot into your lane with no warning haha.

jwslam
04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
haha that is awesome. My favorite lane changers are those who steer where they look so as they are shoulder checking/ putting on their signal they end up a foot into your lane with no warning haha.

my mom, being asian, thinks its necessary to signal three turns before she actually turns.

also, has her left blinker on all the way down the merge lane long before being anywhere near traffic / the flow of traffic.

mucat
04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I always signal early...being asian...The reason is, I want to see the other drivers' intend first. If they speed up and don't want to let me in, I will wait for the next gap. If they don't speed up, then I will merge into the gap. Most of the time other driver will let me in without problem.

On the other hand, lots of drivers do not know how to merge, they slow down so much it is impossible to let they in. And some of them even STOP in the merge lane, WTF...

Supa Dexta
04-29-2011, 12:21 AM
I go by the saying 'I'm coming over, deal with it!"

Being bigger then most helps though.. :rofl:

torob
04-29-2011, 12:35 AM
signal and move calmly... it usually should mean "I'm making a move, don't fuck around"...

shakalaka
04-29-2011, 12:45 AM
If people signal and want to get in front of me, almost every single time I'll slow down and let them in. But if some douche steps on the gas to try and cut me off, I make sure he doesn't get it.:dunno:

Zhariak
04-29-2011, 06:25 AM
What pisses me off, is when I actually let people in, leave a bunch of carlengths and they take their sweet time getting over... (when there is already 3 carlengths, they slow down more).

Another HUGE pet peave... Merge lane, perfect room for a vehicle merging. I take my foot off the accelerator just to make sure they feel comfortable and notice there is plenty of room... THEN they start effin braking... braking more, braking more... Finally I just say fuck it (there's 10+ carlengths infront of me at this point. I gun it, and then they catch up and fingure me thinking I was stopping them from merging... WTF?

davesparky6
04-29-2011, 07:16 AM
I'll be sure to reread this, in traffic, before I make my next lane change. Very helpful guide.

Kennyredline
04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by mucat
I always signal early...being asian...The reason is, I want to see the other drivers' intend first. If they speed up and don't want to let me in, I will wait for the next gap. If they don't speed up, then I will merge into the gap. Most of the time other driver will let me in without problem.

On the other hand, lots of drivers do not know how to merge, they slow down so much it is impossible to let they in. And some of them even STOP in the merge lane, WTF...

...and lots of them are Asian.

arian_ma
04-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

...and lots of them are Asian.
Lots?

Idratherbsidewayz
04-29-2011, 09:02 AM
9 times out of 10, if I'm driving completely normal and signal, I'll get the "it's my space speed-up" and not make it in. If a car is approaching faster than me and I make my change safely, if the driver has to let off at all or tap the brakes I'll get the road rage like the OP described.

This is exactly what I do. Accelerate so you're not even inconveniencing them. I always wave too, like it was them who graciously gave up the space in front of their car. :rofl:

E46..sTyLez
04-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Is it the US plates...or because it's on a 6 figure benz? Haha

93VR6
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Another HUGE pet peave... Merge lane, perfect room for a vehicle merging. I take my foot off the accelerator just to make sure they feel comfortable and notice there is plenty of room... THEN they start effin braking... braking more, braking more... Finally I just say fuck it (there's 10+ carlengths infront of me at this point. I gun it, and then they catch up and fingure me thinking I was stopping them from merging... WTF?

I swear this happens every time I get near a merge lane.

SJW
04-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I go by the saying 'I'm coming over, deal with it!"

Being bigger then most helps though.. :rofl:

LoL this is how I roll. I just take what's mine. If they get pissy well i'll never know cuz i never look behind me.

texasnick
04-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I think the OP's situation needs more detail. For example, did you initiate the lane change when the vehicle you merged in front of was 1-2 carlengths behind the guy in front of him, with 10 car lengths behind him? If so, I understand why he would be upset that you didn't choose to merge behind him.

On the other hand, if the other vehicle had a lot of space in front of him, you got a safe distance in front, put your signal on, and then he sped up just to keep in front, that would be him being the douche.

Bottom line....IMO if you force someone who is going a constant speed to hit their brakes or let off the gas in order to merge in front of them, you've just cut them off.

Scat E46
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
it's the douche canoes who think a signal means it gives them right of way that ruins it

Swank
04-29-2011, 01:56 PM
A signal light is supposed to convey what you want to do, not inform others of what you have already started or just finished doing.