PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding work done @ Motorwerkes

ClearBluewater
04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Please note I am not trying to bash anyone in this thread, I just have a few questions regarding the way this turned out for me.

I had a check engine light come on in my 99 e46 BMW about a 6 months ago, approximately in October. (The invoice date is 10/4/2010). I had decided to take my car to Parm at Motorwerkes as recommended by a google search I believe. I was told by Parm that the charcoal cannister was faulty and was shorting out the DMTL pump. Parm said I would have to replace the whole unit because my car was older and they could not be ordered separately. I went with it, payed Parm and about a week later i got my car back. After driving for two days, the check engine light is back on. I take it back to Parm, and apparently the brand new cannister is faulty and a new one must be ordered. It appears that I have the last one in Canada and I now wait for two or maybe a little more months in order to get a new one in. I take the car back to Parm and two days later, the check engine is back on. Take it back to Parm (this is getting repetitive and I'm sorry). Parm says that its actually something else shorting it out, but I will need to pay another 300-500 dollars in order for him to find whats actually causing the problem.

I am just wondering if this is normal business practice for automotive shops? If the shop charges you money for a wrong diagnosis, the customer just has to eat that and hope the next diagnosis is the right one?

Like I said, I am unsure of how this situation would be handled at other places and if this is in fact how things are usually done that is fine. I am just a little confused. :confused:

Invoice attached.

Rat Fink
04-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Jetta-2.0
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
thats messed up dude, i had my car done at that shop and parm was very good my bmw is a 1997 328i. I droped my car off at his shop telling him what the problem could be. So i gave it to him and 2d day he called me to come pick up the car fully working :burnout: and i have had 0 problems with it.

He programed 2 keys that i had for the car, he also got it to start when it wasnt starting at all, replaced the ignition chip and spent 5 hrs on the car and every h he called me asking for more time and and update on what he was doing.

maybe it could be ur luck but maybe its ur car

ClearBluewater
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
thats messed up dude, i had my car done at that shop and parm was very good my bmw is a 1997 328i. I droped my car off at his shop telling him what the problem could be. So i gave it to him and 2d day he called me to come pick up the car fully working :burnout: and i have had 0 problems with it.

He programed 2 keys that i had for the car, he also got it to start when it wasnt starting at all, replaced the ignition chip and spent 5 hrs on the car and every h he called me asking for more time and and update on what he was doing.

maybe it could be ur luck but maybe its ur car

Its obviously my car. It just seems to me that i payed to replace a part that was not broken.

Jetta-2.0
04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ClearBluewater

Its obviously my car. It just seems to me that i payed to replace a part that was not broken.

i would just ask him to do the job right from the start and not be like the stealership and guess what the problem could be... but when i went there i was treated good and had my car up and running

ClearBluewater
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0

i would just ask him to do the job right from the start and not be like the stealership and guess what the problem could be... but when i went there i was treated good and had my car up and running

Ah you are totally right. I should have expected a working part to be replaced.

Scat E46
04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Because we haven't heard bad things about this shop before :rolleyes:

Feel bad for you bro.

He is so professional, one of my old accounts he PM'd me and physically threatened me to stop posting negative things about his shop as it was beating his rank on google.

Genuine Douche Canoe

max_boost
04-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Isn't this the same dude who took raj2's M3 for a spirited run during a service call?

cream
04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
My dad had a similar problem with Crowfoot BMW. Again, not bashing or anything. Plain 325xi fyi

Anyways, he went in for a diagnosis because it felt weird when he shifted. They said the problem was that he needed a new flywheel and clutch.
Had a rental car, etc then came to get his car. Drove off the lot for 5 minutes and there was still the same problem so he drove right back and took the rental car back. They diagnosed it again and it was the differential + etc?

Long story short, paid ~2000 ish, wasn't the problem, then paid another 3000 to another shop to fix the real problem. Nothing he could do, he even talked to his lawyer.

Shit happens =(

ClearBluewater
05-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah I should have probably checked his reliability on beyond before going there. Oh well, atleast it's only like 500 bucks.

crapstixs
05-03-2011, 08:41 PM
somthing is not adding up here, how dose a charcoal cannister short out a leak dection pump. its a plastic box full of charcoal. I know the leak dection pumps are bad for leaking and vent solenoids like to stick but not short out. it would be nice to know what codes are stored.
I would ask for a full refund. why should you fork over $500 and still have the exact same problem.

Stunt66
05-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Refund for sure!!! That's bullshit that you'd have to pay for a part and installation because he diagnosed it wrong.