PDA

View Full Version : Jelly Modern Donuts

D'z Nutz
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Anyone try these yet?

http://jellymoderndoughnuts.com

Somehow, I just don't see myself paying $25 for a dozen donuts when Safeway donuts will do just fine. Charging trendy prices doesn't make the product trendier.

jwslam
04-28-2011, 11:01 PM
I said the same thing about crave cupcakes / buttercream cupcakes / wherever else cupcakes are ridiculously expensive

having finally tried one i stand by that i get much more satisfaction out of six cheap cupcakes than one "good" one.

having said that, back to the thread, no I have not tried it and don't intend to.

Disoblige
04-29-2011, 02:07 AM
I don't see what's so special about their donuts. Too simple.

The only donut I really want to try is the one I saw on Food Network, where it was a square peanut butter and blackberry jelly donut? and then the outside is a dip that is covered with peanuts. :drool:

Their PB&J looks very ordinary. I doubt they can pull off the same mark-up as cupcakes because donuts honestly don't have the same appeal as cupcakes do.

I have yet to find donuts better than beats Safeway's freshness-taste-value balance.

CUG
04-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Anyone try these yet?

http://jellymoderndoughnuts.com

Somehow, I just don't see myself paying $25 for a dozen donuts when Safeway donuts will do just fine. Charging trendy prices doesn't make the product trendier. I'm sigging that.

Disoblige
04-29-2011, 03:04 AM
LOL. Vote for the real doughnut, vote Conservative.

Nice

Mibz
04-29-2011, 03:11 AM
They're good donuts, but the one I ate (coconut) was free. I had no idea they were $25 a dozen, wow.

adam c
04-29-2011, 08:01 AM
the chocolate ones look tasty but you're paying for the décor more than anything else

D'z Nutz
04-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I'm sigging that.

Haha awesome :rofl:

yeahyeah
04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
I'll stick to my Tim's apple fritters

adam c
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
^ i wish they would bring back the caramel apple fritter

Perceptionist
04-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I tried out the maple bacon donut. Basically a huge maple donut with real bacon on top. It was good, but I found it to be too sweet. Definately not something I could eat on a regular basis.

TheRealTimHorton
04-30-2011, 03:29 PM
A donut topped with bacon is Canada's equivalent of America's deep fried mars bar! Thats awesome.

npham
05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
We just had a whole bunch of these dropped off at our office, and they are pretty damn tasty. Everyone who had a Maple & Bacon one loved it. Their red velvet was great too, PB & J was covered in toppings, and dripping all over the place, lol.

silver03gt
05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by adam c
^ i wish they would bring back the caramel apple fritter

I think they still have them at the Tim's on 52st and 72ave SE.

e31
05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Key words in their main webpage:

gourmet, café, organic, healthier

We're talking about goddamn doughnuts for fucks sakes. Although after thinking about it, they must have the "fatass beret wearing Ipad user" market cornered.

TheRealTimHorton
05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by e31

We're talking about goddamn doughnuts for fucks sakes

It's easy to be cynical about this type of stuff, but you'd be surprised. I didn't think I would be shocked at how tasty a chocolate cupcake could be until I had one from Crave.

God damn son. God Damn.

And who became man of the year for getting a dozen crave cupcakes on a platter for my girlfriends brithday cake instead of a birthday cake? I did. All them bitches be jealous.

yeahyeah
05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/bitches_love_leaves_Bitches_Love-s500x327-140467-580.jpg

bignerd
05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Didn't everyone think that Krispy Kreme was too expensive? They didn't last long.

Granted being downtown they will probably have enough corporate types buying them for meetings or to impress clients, but the average Joe isn't going to pay that much per dozen. We use to have a lender that would bring in Crave cupcakes by the dozens, they didn't care as it was just another write off.

Pretty sure I would rather have a cupcake though than a doughnut.

BlkWdwPrelude
05-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Picked up two dozen to treat my staff leave your wallet in the store.

Pretty good flavors and all and everyone seemed to enjoy them.

$25 for a unique experience nobody was comparing them to Tim Horton's that's for sure.

benyl
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
So my wife went in there today. The people that work there are snobs / bitches.

Bad customer service at Jelly Modern Donuts (http://jellymoderndoughnuts.com) Calgary (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/332251/jelly-modern-donuts/)

The donuts were pretty good, but never going there again.

max_boost
05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by benyl
So my wife went in there today. The people that work there are snobs / bitches.

Bad customer service at Jelly Modern Donuts (http://jellymoderndoughnuts.com) Calgary (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/332251/jelly-modern-donuts/)

The donuts were pretty good, but never going there again.

Wow. They are selling donuts, charging a huge premium and giving the customers attitude. WTF. lol :nut:

Disoblige
05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Well, this thread keeps coming up so I'm going to try it once so I can satisfy my curiosity.

That, and I get to see some snobs n bitches working at a donut shop! Win-win.

Kritafo
05-11-2011, 10:23 PM
yes...finally that is what I thought they were rather snobby and we were the ones buying!

Disoblige
05-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Luckily the 2 I was dealing with weren't snobby at all; they were quite nice and friendly.

The donuts, some of them are very plain, so you'll have to use your judgement and pick unique ones. Seems like the jelly filled ones and ones with whipped toppings are the more popular ones.

Had the one with peanut butter frosting on top and it was quite tasty. I thought it would be too sweet but it was not sweet at all. Tasted quite satisfying. The Maple bacon on the other hand.. Gross lol..

A day later, they're all still soft. Bought a dozen, so for $2.00 they're not really worth it. It's worth it to try, but go for the out-of-the-ordinary ones. Unfortunately, they don't have their full selection every day (they have daily specials).

Guillermo
05-13-2011, 08:10 AM
canadians eat more doughnuts and have more doughnut shops than anywhere else in the world, hey?

dirtsniffer
05-13-2011, 05:57 PM
could be worse, we could be american

JordanEG6
05-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Kinda overrated. I'll stick it in the same pool as Loungeburger and Big Cheese for something that is okay tasting at a premium price.

HyperZell
10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I work near here and I've been in a couple of times, and I really like the place. I've never had a problem with the staff (not sure what the gripes were about) and yes, the doughnuts are pricey, but they are very different from what you get at a coffee shop. The S'more doughnut is unreal, and they do a lot of creative stuff all of the time too (I want to try the Nutella one!)

sdevils15
10-12-2011, 03:33 PM
They have delivered to my office a couple of times and they are pretty good.

tktwhiz
10-21-2011, 12:18 AM
I was pretty impressed with their doughnuts
i have to admit that i do crave them once in a while

pretty pricey for their service
and their coffee sucks

-relk-
10-21-2011, 05:59 AM
They had these at work yesterday. I tried a chocolate/caramel one, and found it very average. It was good and all, but smaller than any donut I had ha before
:thumbsdow

Not worth $25 IMO, but I have only tried one kind.

Mibz
10-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by tktwhiz
i have to admit that i do crave them once in a while Yep. Doesn't matter how mediocre I perceived the donuts to be the first time around, I get urges for that godamn coconut deliciousness.

EG6boi
10-22-2011, 02:05 AM
I went there sometime last summer. The staff wasn't even knowledgeable or approachable at all. We ended up trying 5 donuts and it was good. The price... not so much.

I still like Timmy's donuts better :drool: