PDA

View Full Version : WTB: The 'right' family car...

albertaboy
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I know the title is a bit vague :). Here are a few more details.

I just sold my 2003 Infiniti M45. It pained me to do this as I had only recently purchased it, but we have anew baby (six months old), and before I bought it I didn't check whether or not the car seat would fit in the back. It fit, but was super tight. My lovely bride strongly suggested that I sell it (read: she told me to sell it), and get something a bit more "practical".

Sooo....here I am today. Looking for a car, but looking for the right car.

Budget: $15k (ish)

Requirements : Safe. Four-door or Wagon. Mid to full-size. Automatic transmission. Very-well maintained/ideally full service records. In most cases 2005+. Leather. Stock. Decent on gas. Reliable. The lower the KM's the better.

Cars I have been keeping an eye on: Audi A4, Audi A6, VW Passat, Saab 9-5, Infiniti G35, Subaru Legacy, Lincoln Zephyr, Ford Fusion, Volvo S60/S80 something else...? I of course like BMW/Mercedes, but am very-aware that it is unlikely that I get my 'requirements' above with only $15k. If I am wrong, please send through any cars that fit.

I do not want: Anything modified. Any sketchy histories or "it was just a minor accident" stories. Cavalier. G6. G8. Chevrolet or Pontiac in-general actually.

Looking to purchase ASAP, but not looking to just buy for the sake of buying. It needs to be the 'right' car.

Cash in-hand.

Please respond via PM on here, through email ([email protected]), or phone/text (Calgary number--> 587-785-7922)

Really appreciate you looking. Have a great day.

Aleks
04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
If the M45 was tight and that was the primary reason you sold it, all the cars you listed will be just as tight or even worse. Rear facing seats are a pain in the butt. I suggest if you want to stick to sedans look at cars like Honda Accord that have lots of room in the back as well as a big trunk for the stroller.

If you want the best room for kids, you can't beat a minivan either full size or if you don't want something that big a Mazda5 is decent. Some small SUVs like 09+Forester, Rav4, CRV have very good room in the back as well with added bonus of increased ride height for easier loading and unloading.

albertaboy
04-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the insight.

I agree that some of the cars (A4 for example) may be smallish, but still not as small inside as the M45

The 2003 M45 has a freakishly small backseat. Not sure how familiar you are with that body style...? The newer body style (Y50) has a great sized backseat, but the Y34 is tiny.

Check out this link: http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/interior.aspx?c=0&i=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&tb=0&dt=0&v=t96694 you can compare a 2003 M45 to pretty much any car that I mention, and you will see that they are all bigger in the rear.

s_havinga
04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
I havent physically put the car seat in mine (yet) but my 2004 maxima fits all your requirements and has a huge back seat. Mine isn't for sale because I am going to need it when our first shows up sometime in July but its another option for you to look into.

navdeep
04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
04+ Acura TL

albertaboy
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by navdeep
04+ Acura TL

Good call. Honestly have not looked at them much (don't know why).

legendboy
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I love my Sienna

Seriously, mv ftw

s_havinga
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I love my Sienna

Seriously, mv ftw

Ha, reminded me of this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

Sorry I'm not tech savvy enough to embed it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

Sugarphreak
04-29-2011, 03:53 PM

Xtrema
04-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Are you set on luxury brands? For $15K, it's hard to get those brands newer than 2005 unless it's high mileage.

legendboy
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by s_havinga

Ha, reminded me of this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

Sorry I'm not tech savvy enough to embed it.ql-N3F1FhW4

that is exactly how we roll :D

JZS_147
04-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Lexus GS400/430

there's a couple of 01-05 GS430's on kijiji for 9-14K

sneek
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by navdeep
04+ Acura TL

Great car if it is Auto. :thumbsup:

navdeep
04-29-2011, 04:29 PM
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2005-Acura-TL-4-door-automatic-nav-dvd-Sedan-16900-obo-W0QQAdIdZ278527716

i think this is a pretty good deal

black
oem lipkit
and navi

Guillermo
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
you should check out Chevy Malibu Maxx. mid-sized 4-door hatch with a V6. i used to own one, makes an EXCELLENT family car. TONS of power, but good gas mileage too. go for the LTZ trim package, which has fog lights, heated seats and mirrors, leather, sunroof, etc. the neat thing is that the back seat has a sonroof too, which is cool for the kids (especially as they grow). these are relatively rare, but can be had in great shape with low mileage for less than $15k.

http://www.autobytel.com/images/2006/Chevrolet/Malibu_MaxxSS/400/2006_Chevrolet_Malibu_MaxxSS_exrrpass342.jpg

ExtraSlow
04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
I know it's probably out of range for the OP, but what's everyone opinion of the Flex? May have need of a truly large vehicle, and this is more appealing than "real" vans, or the Pilot/sequoia type SUV.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-29-2011, 09:01 PM
You'll miss that M45 haha, my dad's is going for sale this year. It's debadged and de-chromed :)

Oddly enough my dads other car is a highlander, which is my suggestion.

Super duper reliable, its basically a 4x4 camry.

It's a good height without sucking back fuel with a full sized frame like a SUV.

There's a bunch under 15000.

albertaboy
04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I think I'll pass on the Sienna, as rad as they are ;)

I'm not set on luxury brands at all. I don't think I am going to get much in the way of BMW/Mercedes/Lexus for that price--maybe like someone said, higher mileage and older, but that doesn't really appeal to me.

The CRV/RAV have never done it for me. Not sure why.

I am always the guy trying to find that car that has depreciated more than it should have, or that 'deal' that I can't pass-up. Used cars always make me really nervous, because it's difficult to know that people may be hiding. Sadly.

I have seen a few 04/05 G35's for around the $15k mark. 2006 Saab 9-5's sometimes come up too. I love how Jaguar S-Types look, but they are a mostly terrible idea.

I think the Lincoln Zephyr is a good value. They can be had for around that mark, and they are done up pretty nicely. Same comment for a 2008 Taurus Limited.

I love the idea of an Acura TL. Like I said above, I have no idea why I didn't look at them--likely because it's been years since I paid much attention to Honda stuff.

Will look at the Malibu Max. Never been a huge fan of the sedans, but the five-door idea is a good one.

The Lexus GS 400/430 are V8's. Trying to avoid that. Appreciate the idea though. The GS300 isn't a bad idea...

You guys are likely going to mock me for this, but look at a 2007/2008 Saturn Aura XR. They are phenomenally safe, good power, good on fuel, and basically free now. Totally understand that the resale value blows, and that yes, it is a Saturn, but the 'bang-for-the-buck' factor seems pretty darn good.

albertaboy
05-17-2011, 07:30 AM
If anybody cares I ended up with a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. It took a while to find the right one, but I tell you, the 'bang-for-the-buck factor is excellent. I paid under $15k and it is loaded. Good fuel economy, heated/cooled seats, THX stereo (amazing), really nice looking interior, super safe, etc.

This particular one is originally from BC, has lowish km's (70k), and one owner. It isn't crazy fast (220 horse), but it keeps up, and it looks really good. I know the preference on here seems to be more towards imports (initially so was mine), but this is a value that I couldn't pass-up.

One lousy picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/calgaryjosh/Zephyr.jpg

Thank-you to all of you guys for the suggestions.

Have a great week.

RC-Cola
05-17-2011, 08:34 AM
What about something like a WRX wagon? Good fun car to drive, lot's of room and space to put that big assed stroller in the back.

OUr family has a Murano for the kid moving and I drive a GTi for work/daily commute. I've had the car seat (Brittax) in the GTi both rear facing and front facing. It fits pretty well, but as stated above the stroller is the killer. My wife wanted one "with big wheels so I can jog with it" - in the 3 year we've had it I can count on one hand how many times she's jogged with it! end rant...

jsn
05-17-2011, 08:45 AM
^^ He bought a car already...