PDA

View Full Version : Windshields, when are you planning on replacing yours?

ddduke
04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Just curious when everyone is planning on replacing their windshields?

Went to the carwash today and for some reason when I got back in the truck the windshield had 2 full length cracks and spidered in all 4 corners, so it's basically done.

Don't wanna wait too long to get it done, but definitely think it's a waste of money this early in the year. Thinking maybe right after may long.

You guys?

J-D
04-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Mine is out of my field of vision in a really weird pattern, but it's been like that for about 3 years now. I might get around to it this summer, lol.

Tik-Tok
04-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Not this year, just replaced 3 out of 4 windshields last year.

Oddly enough, I've never gotten a rock chip in the spring, even daily driving on deerfoot with tons of rocks. I always get them in the late summer, from construction vehicles that are covered in dried mud/rocks.

streethondas
05-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Way too many cracks in my windshield.. Getting it replaced in 2weeks or so

Nismorphed
05-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I just had mine replaced, couldn't wait any longer so many pits it make it impossible to drive into the sun

npham
05-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Gravel should be coming off all the roads soon, so I will probably replace mine in a couple of weeks.

Speed_69
05-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm going to be replacing mine in about 3 weeks.

Ven
05-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Nismorphed
I just had mine replaced, couldn't wait any longer so many pits it make it impossible to drive into the sun

This. I was freaking blind yesterday driving downtown.

So where's an inexpensive place to get a windshield installed in town here?

Zhariak
05-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Last summer, I replaced my windshield about 4 times in a period of 4 months or something...

It was horrible. On the last one, got smoked with a rock, and it started cracking, just said fuck it..

I'm waiting till the street cleaning is done, then I'll get her done...

ddduke
05-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Last summer, I replaced my windshield about 4 times in a period of 4 months or something...

It was horrible. On the last one, got smoked with a rock, and it started cracking, just said fuck it..

I'm waiting till the street cleaning is done, then I'll get her done...

Why did you replace it so many times? Were the fucked every time they got hit?

Zhariak
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Why did you replace it so many times? Were the fucked every time they got hit?

Just kept getting hit with shit... Metal nut bolts off landscaping trucks, HUGE rocks being shot of bridges above that I was going under...

I was on deerfoot, and a HUGE rock got shot out from the other side of traffic (coming towards me) and went right through the windshield...

I also had to replace my windshield wipers due to a huge rock hitting it and bending the metal to shit...

I remember once I was exiting off deerfoot north to get on glenmore and a HUGE rock came flying sideways and smoked my quarter panel on the drivers side, ripped a huge chunk of paint off and dented the metal...

Those 4 months or so were BAD luck. I think it was last summer maybe?

yeahyeah
05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Real men drive without windshields

Tomaz
05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm doing mine in early-mid June.

If people are waiting for the roads to be cleared, I heard (rumor mill) that the city plans on having everything cleared by the end of July... That's a bit long, no? :dunno:

Kloubek
05-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Your windshield is pretty cracked up there man, and it is right in your line of vision. I wouldn't wait long at all, as it is frustrating to drive with that in the way all the time, as well as being a safety issue for both vision and in the event of a crash. (Although I doubt the windshield contributes as much structural integrity in crashes as the windshield repair shops claim)

Keep in mind that I think the crack resulted somehow from that one chip right near the middle of the +. Repairing something like that right away might have saved the glass. Too late now, but something for everyone to think about the next time we get a chip...

ExtraSlow
05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Anyone check out that windsheild insurance? I got a new window in setpember last year, and it's cracked right in the field of vision again. Will need replacement this month.
Expensive window too, since I've got the rain sensing wipers.

Unknown303
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm going to replace mine when it falls out in my lap.

Zhariak
05-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Anyone check out that windsheild insurance? I got a new window in setpember last year, and it's cracked right in the field of vision again. Will need replacement this month.
Expensive window too, since I've got the rain sensing wipers.

How much do yours usually cost?

I have the rainsense too, get my windshields replaced at Jack Carter and it's actually super cheap, and they always do a great job... I could be wrong, but I think it's either 200 bucks or 300 bucks...

ercchry
05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

:werd:

jeeps are stupid... one year and mine is fucked, im not doing this every year. sooo... fuck it

n1zm0
05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

^ :werd: or if it becomes to the point that it is inhibiting my driving vision, especially on my winter beater

Darell_n
05-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Priced out the heated windshield for my Impreza and it was over $700. :nut: This car will go to it's grave with the original glass. My work truck is less than $200 installed.

btimbit
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Mines is getting to the point where not only is there several cracks and dings, but it's also getting permanently hazy and cloudy.

So before summer, haha

adam c
05-04-2011, 10:09 PM
mine is split right down the center top to bottom basically in the middle don't want to replace it but considering my daughter sits in the middle in the back seat it's probably a good idea, last quote was in the 2xx range

revelations
05-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I have a crack all the way across the bottom. Cant see it in line of sight thankfully.

I have other large chunks missing from the windshield, which havent turned into cracks yet.

I did stop drill the major ones and dabbed some ceramic glue in them. Maybe theyll hold out another year.

Transp0rt3r
05-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Hate Calgary:banghead: Brought 04 WRX from the States few years ago. Few months of driving in the city - windshield was full of rock chips and had a few cracks.

Same story on my 2011 Golf - already have a small crack on the windshield ... FU:nut: Hope to replace it by the end of the year.

JDMPaul
05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Does anyone if there is that free chip repair if you have glass insurance here in Alberta? I saw it on a commercial for Apple glass I believe.

Just got my new window last week

Squishy
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Looks like someone at school carved the letter "A" into my windshield on the drivers side with a key or something. I can feel the scratch marks with my nail. Some people are so god damn pathetic it blows my mind. My windshield wont need replacing but I just can't believe someone would do something so juvenile to someone elses property/pride :dunno:

Mar
05-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Just remember you get what you pay for. The cheap windshield replacements done by the side shops are with shitty weaker glass that'll just crack again next year. I just recently lost my 6 year old original windshield and I'll be going back to Honda for the replacement to hopefully get another 5-6 years out of it.

wardpr68
05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Just remember you get what you pay for. The cheap windshield replacements done by the side shops are with shitty weaker glass that'll just crack again next year. I just recently lost my 6 year old original windshield and I'll be going back to Honda for the replacement to hopefully get another 5-6 years out of it.

uhhh.. my 2 year old factory windshield looks like it went through World War 2.... I don't think they are THAT much better.

SJW
05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
So who do I go to for a windshield. 2008 Chev avalanche.

KandabashiDevil
05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Windshield Surgeons :thumbsup:

redline
05-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I am going to try and get another year our of mine

http://s11.lucyphotos.com/images/orig/7/n/7n833p7egedrn73e.jpg

SJW
05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by redline
I am going to try and get another year our of mine

http://photos.lucywho.com/ace-ventura-pet-detective-photos-t612725.html

You mean this.

http://s11.lucyphotos.com/images/orig/7/n/7n833p7egedrn73e.jpg

npham
05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Mar

My 3 month old windshield had the slightest rock chip/crack that spidered all the way across in a matter of hours. The chip wasn't even noticeable, and I don't even recall when a rock hit my windshield either. It's all about luck.

However, non oem is typically made from lesser materials. Higher quality windshields may prevent less rock chips, but it isn't a night and day difference IMO.

ddduke
05-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Mar

You're a fool to think this. Owner of Glassmasters is a friend of mine and his mobile crews work for tons of dealerships so you're getting the same glass either way, the dealership is just charging you on top of this.

Either way you're going to get rock chips in Calgary so unless you drive something with a ridiculously expensive windshield you might aswell get a regular windshield. If you have an exotic or something with expensive glass then you can get that 3M style stuff to cover and protect your windshield for around $300 installed.

BTW, my mom got a new car for christmas and a week didn't even pass before the whole bottom of her windshield was cracked.

ddduke
05-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil
Windshield Surgeons :thumbsup:

Went there yesterday, really happy with the service. They gave me a huge discount because I set up a fleet account there which was pretty cool.

They also re-sealed the windshield on a second car free of charge which I was happy with.

If you can get passed the fact that the employees look like the cast of The Hills Have Eyes and aren't that friendly, it's actually a pretty good place.

Ukyo8
05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
LOL I havn't had a windshield crack on me in 5 years

nickyh
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Bumping up this thread.

I have an 07 Toyota RAV4 - I need to replace my windshield and I've been asked if it's heated.
I would normally wait, but I now have 6 cracks running in different directions.

Can anyone confirm if it's heated or not? How do I tell?

Edit: It's the base V6 model if that helps.

TYMSMNY
06-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by nickyh
Bumping up this thread.

I have an 07 Toyota RAV4 - I need to replace my windshield and I've been asked if it's heated.

I'm sure that it is not heated. At most your side mirrors are.

Check if there are lines underneath your front wipers... same as your rear quarter panel windows.

Xtrema
06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by nickyh
Bumping up this thread.

Edit: It's the base V6 model if that helps.

If they have to ask, I would start shopping other places.

nickyh
06-06-2011, 10:41 AM
I called Cal-Alta and they told me it was heated, called Speedy Glass and they asked me.

Called Henninger and the girl had no idea but gave me a price ($320) that I am assuming is heated as it's close to Charlesglen.
Charlesglen assured me it's not heated (base model RAV) and gave me a price for non-heated ($305) and then heated ($325) for the hell of it

So I have no idea who I should believe? I'll check under my wipers when I get home from work today.

nickyh
06-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Update: so I have the coils that run all around my windshield, never paid attention to them before.
Who knew!

I guess I finally learnt something new about my car.