PDA

View Full Version : crvtec

Goldberg
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Ok you are all probably like, here we go again but not this time. I am still debating what should do when work starts in the spring. So what should i do, i wanna use the head of my car (b16) and wanna build it up.
At first it was gonna be crvtec and then boost it (fully built crvtec ofcourse) or should i just go all out na on it. Now there is a problem though, I don't know if i like the low revs of the b20. Can you change this by replacing with diff rods? Anywho or shoould i just go with a b18 and do na or boost. Anyways i was bored and have been sweating over this and am still not quite sure what to do. I don't wanna go out and buy anything yet tilll i know what i wanna do. Anyways suggestions maybe also some experiences from yourselves also would be nice.

GTS Jeff
01-15-2004, 04:11 PM
i think that if u are going hardcore for boost, the head swap wouldnt really help much.

redline
01-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i think that if u are going hardcore for boost, the head swap wouldnt really help much.

wrong

redline
01-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Goldberg
Ok you are all probably like, here we go again but not this time. I am still debating what should do when work starts in the spring. So what should i do, i wanna use the head of my car (b16) and wanna build it up.
At first it was gonna be crvtec and then boost it (fully built crvtec ofcourse) or should i just go all out na on it. Now there is a problem though, I don't know if i like the low revs of the b20. Can you change this by replacing with diff rods? Anywho or shoould i just go with a b18 and do na or boost. Anyways i was bored and have been sweating over this and am still not quite sure what to do. I don't wanna go out and buy anything yet tilll i know what i wanna do. Anyways suggestions maybe also some experiences from yourselves also would be nice.

two basic questions

what is your budget?

what do you want to do with the car? (street/drag/road course)

then you can get a clearer picture of boost or n/a

Goldberg
01-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Well thats what changed my mind to go na. I heard some really high numbers on crvtecs for na and think since this is gonna be street just keep it na. But i haven't really heard solid numbers on a totally built up crvtec for just engine. Right now I think cost will not be a problem for me in the spring. So i want to get a b20 build it totallly up till its done then park the car for winter and do the head etc. Oh and does anyone on here have a crvtec or something like it?

rage2
01-15-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by redline
wrong
VTEC helps yes, but for the price, I don't think it's worth it. I've had plenty success with non VTEC turbos. Of course if I had the cash, I'd go VTEC for the bling factor, and the extra hp I can squeeze out of it from pump gas :).

gpomp
01-15-2004, 10:51 PM
If cost is not an issue, bore out a B18C1.

rage2
01-15-2004, 10:56 PM
If cost isn't an issue, here's what I'd do :

B series block
2.3L bore + stroker kit
VTEC head
Turbo

This would make a killer street motor.

GTS Jeff
01-15-2004, 11:00 PM

wrong well would u care to explain?

as far as i know, turbo likes vtec, but u can make just as much power without vtec, plus im sure tuning is easier without vtec.

Goldberg
01-16-2004, 01:08 AM
Since I already have the b16a2 i was thinking when i get the b20 built up then i will pull the head off and totally redo the head. So isn't that already a little cheaper to start off with since i have the head already. So now what do i do total na build or do a turbo build. Cause i wanna start buying parts when spring comes and i don't wanna have to debate on lower compression pistions or super high etc. But one thing can you replace the rods of the b20 to be able to rev a little higher or does that not makes sense.:nut:

gpomp
01-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Goldberg
Right now I think cost will not be a problem for me in the spring.
Save yourself the trouble and buy a crate motor: http://www.importbuilders.com/cratedmotors.html

3a looks good. :thumbsup:

rage2
01-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Seriously, gimme what you EXPECT to spend on this motor, and I'll give you some realistic goals.

Goldberg
01-16-2004, 01:15 AM
Honestly i don't want to spend huge money but i will have lots of work so its mostly not a problem like at all. Plus my dads friends owns Alberta Chrome so i basically gonna get alot of labour free, just gotta find the parts. So basilcally money is not a HUGE issue at all.

gpomp
01-16-2004, 01:19 AM
You can spend $2000 to $20000 on an engine setup, it's all up to you...

Primer_Drift
01-16-2004, 01:50 AM
As redline said, establish what you want to accomplish with your car. Once that is solid, focus on what you would consider reasonable to spend, honda engine parts can be pricey.

three.eighteen.
01-16-2004, 03:20 AM
well would u care to explain?

as far as i know, turbo likes vtec, but u can make just as much power without vtec, plus im sure tuning is easier without vtec.

i think the vtec heads flow better

redline
01-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by rage2

VTEC helps yes, but for the price, I don't think it's worth it. I've had plenty success with non VTEC turbos. Of course if I had the cash, I'd go VTEC for the bling factor, and the extra hp I can squeeze out of it from pump gas :).

a b16a1 head is not that much money

redline
01-16-2004, 08:56 AM
well would u care to explain?

Tuning is no differnet with or without vtec. vtec is there or not your on one cam profile or another both are constants.

I will ask you one question have you have seen a non-vtec drag car make 800+hp?

But i am having some server problems at work at cant cont right now!!

Goldberg
01-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Ok another question, I want to make this as reliable as i can keep it. I don't wanna spend like 15 20gs just to blow it in a year. So with that said would keeping it na be better or could i do this with a turbo and still keep it safe?let the debate begin:nut:

three.eighteen.
01-16-2004, 05:56 PM
n/a could be just as dangerous depending on what you do...its usually all a matter of management, and proper support for the power you plan on running

rage2
01-16-2004, 06:11 PM
I will ask you one question have you have seen a non-vtec drag car make 800+hp?
IMO, it can be done. You have to realize, at that level, the budgets allow for big dollar mods, even if it's good for 5hp. VTEC head/install/etc. is cheap to them. Nobody's debating gains with VTEC, I personally think it's a bling factor on a street machine. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere to get more hp per dollar.

B18C
01-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

Save yourself the trouble and buy a crate motor: http://www.importbuilders.com/cratedmotors.html

3a looks good. :thumbsup:

:werd:

If you want to go all hardcore and stuff this is probably to most painless way to do it.

Primer_Drift
01-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2

IMO, it can be done. You have to realize, at that level, the budgets allow for big dollar mods, even if it's good for 5hp.

I'd have to agree, of course it can be done. The Iron4 made nearly that at the wheels and that was decades ago. Variable valve timing does not translate to more maximum power, it does however translate in to a more flexible powerband and increased low end torque (based on a generic stock setting).. IMO When considering a small displacement 4-banger its a valuable plus to have.

GQNammer
01-18-2004, 01:21 AM
If going NA, would the crvtec really be the best way to go for honda? Considering budget is not a factor

buh_buh
01-18-2004, 04:48 AM
If going NA I would build a b18c5 if budget is not a factor.