PDA

View Full Version : high mileage S13 240sx,

tehwegz
05-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I did a search and only got FS ads.

I'm looking at a cheap car to learn standard in as well as for a summer project car.

I'm looking at 2, both stock. 1 has 278000kms and asking $1800. I got it down to $1000, might go lower depending on what I think of it when I see it. High mileage but he says its been well taken care of. I know these can run well in to 300k.

The other 1 has 205000kms asking $2500, I may be able to get it down to $2000 and even lower if I don't want the rims he's including.

what to look out for? I'm leaning more towards the 278k one right now.

dj_rice
05-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Timing Chain Rattle

Rust Around the Strut Towers, Behind the Wheel wells where side skirts are.

msommers
05-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Watch for water leaking into the trunk as well.

Finding a 240 now that isn't rusted to shit is going to be hard. Overall the engines aren't bad but as mentioned, the timing chain guides, chain and tensioners will likely need to be replaced. Hopefully they aren't chewed up and in the oil pan.

278k is a lot for any car honestly.

tehwegz
05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Timing Chain Rattle

Rust Around the Strut Towers, Behind the Wheel wells where side skirts are.

I'll look out for rust, for sure there will be.

if the timing chain does rattle, will it be very noticeable?

thanks

Originally posted by msommers
Watch for water leaking into the trunk as well.

Finding a 240 now that isn't rusted to shit is going to be hard. Overall the engines aren't bad but as mentioned, the timing chain guides, chain and tensioners will likely need to be replaced. Hopefully they aren't chewed up and in the oil pan.

278k is a lot for any car honestly.

how much would it cost for those parts? just curious, I know timing belt but not this 'chain'.

278k is a lot and that really turns me off which is why I asked for <$1000 and he seemed to go along with it, at least over text. That way if it does rust to sh!t or some thing happens I can make a bit off it as a parts car then junk it(hopefully not in my time driving it).

dj_rice
05-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Also infamous spoiler rust

crapstixs
05-03-2011, 01:46 AM
when it comes to s13's, your going to be polishing a turd or paying a huge drift tax. plane and simple.

tehwegz
05-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Also infamous spoiler rust

luckily these dont have spoilers.

Originally posted by crapstixs
when it comes to s13's, your going to be polishing a turd or paying a huge drift tax. plane and simple.

yeah pretty much...damn rust.

also, drift tax? I dont want to build a drift car, I'm guessing youre referring to insurance? never heard of drift tax. (I=n00b)

ercchry
05-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by tehwegz

also, drift tax? I dont want to build a drift car, I'm guessing youre referring to insurance? never heard of drift tax. (I=n00b)

premium paid on old rwd "drift" platform cars

also see initial D tax (re:ae86 corollas)

dj_rice
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Usually after the release of Fast n Furious movies, 240sx's typically increase in price ten fold.

BananaFob
05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Usually after the release of Fast n Furious movies, 240sx's typically increase in price ten fold.

A couple of Nissan SR20's will pull a premium one week before Race Wars.

ga16i
05-03-2011, 04:14 PM
if both are stock, with the amount of mileage stated, I've found from experience the first things that needs replacing are as follows:

shocks
brakes
clutch
clutch fork pivot... I went through TWO of these on stock KA!!
weird electrical issues like certain lights not turning on or things turning on when they shouldn't be.

aside from that, like everyone said, rust, especially wheel wells and 1/4 panel.

with a car that old, your weather striping is probably toast as well, watch out for leaks in the car wash around windows, hatch and sunroof :D

I had a blast during my relationship with my RPS13 and learned how to replace everything. S13 aren't for the feint of heart and I wouldn't call them reliable, but they sure are fun.

tehwegz
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Ok so I got to see the 200k kms one, its dark gray and looks like the perfect candidate for a new paint job. In fact, it looks like its just bare metal (w/ primer) haha... anyways he wants $2100, I want to get it down to $1800, maybe even lower if I dont want the winters he's including.

Good: mechanically in good condition, sounds good, pulled pretty hard. Interior is clean, seats were...really low, I guess thats good and bad.

Bad: usual rust, not much but like all rust its cancerous... I also wasn't sure what to think of the front bumper, its looks like bare plastic to me but due to the color of the car matching it you can only see it up close. The lock/keyhole for the trunk is all screwed up because someone tried breaking in. :dunno:

About to give up on getting a 240, too sketchy...

ercchry
05-10-2011, 02:44 PM

About to give up on getting a 240, too sketchy...

:rofl:

you are looking at the cheapest of cheap cars that are pushing 20 years of age.... wtf do you expect?

if money is not an issue and you have to have LHD then take a trip to cali and bring back a mint rust free cali car

J-hop
05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't give up if I were you, but maybe shift your price point a bit. I've been looking at them for a while now and you really don't see decent examples going for less than 5k (on average), you might luck out and find something cheaper but i wouldn't count on it.

tehwegz
05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

:rofl:

you are looking at the cheapest of cheap cars that are pushing 20 years of age.... wtf do you expect?

if money is not an issue and you have to have LHD then take a trip to cali and bring back a mint rust free cali car

im going after cheap cars like this because I want something easy to work on so I can learn. also RWD was an attraction. RHD would be nice as well! im left hand/foot dominated so I guess itd be fitting.

Originally posted by J-hop
I wouldn't give up if I were you, but maybe shift your price point a bit. I've been looking at them for a while now and you really don't see decent examples going for less than 5k (on average), you might luck out and find something cheaper but i wouldn't count on it.

5k for 20 year old car...wwhat? lol

I think I'll save more and look for a car I really like as a project.

n1zm0
05-10-2011, 03:01 PM
took me almost 3.5 years to find my CDM S14 and im the 2nd owner of it (yeah unheard of), dont give up - gems come out once in a while (although if all you have is ~$1500 - its going to be harder naturally, drift tax also applies to those ones hidden away by grannies, grannies watch FnF too), it's just every year some 16 year old asks mommy and daddy for one and some are willing to buy these heaps of rust lol

ppl mentioned most of the issues, some small horrors as well:

removing the mudflaps to find surprises, one day press the frame rail and poke your finger straight through, not as bad as hondas but sunroof all of a sudden pours cold rainwater on your neck.

ercchry
05-10-2011, 03:02 PM
good call... imo i would look for something like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-djGs3bk0z0o/TcO0VOQ2mQI/AAAAAAAAAH4/j0d5Xj9YI6I/s1600/k_works408-img600x450-1303664144zkh6fo57189%255B1%255D.jpg

http://bossimports.blogspot.com/2011/05/jzx-ftw.html

tehwegz
05-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
took me almost 3.5 years to find my CDM S14 and im the 2nd owner of it (yeah unheard of), dont give up - gems come out once in a while (although if all you have is ~$1500 - its going to be harder naturally, drift tax also applies to those ones hidden away by grannies, grannies watch FnF too), it's just every year some 16 year old asks mommy and daddy for one and some are willing to buy these heaps of rust lol

ppl mentioned most of the issues, some small horrors as well:

removing the mudflaps to find surprises, one day press the frame rail and poke your finger straight through, not as bad as hondas but sunroof all of a sudden pours cold rainwater on your neck.

ok the frame rusting through is what scares the pee out of me.

and if takes that long to find a gem 240 I might as well save up for a mkiv supra as well while im at it lol

Originally posted by ercchry
good call... imo i would look for something like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-djGs3bk0z0o/TcO0VOQ2mQI/AAAAAAAAAH4/j0d5Xj9YI6I/s1600/k_works408-img600x450-1303664144zkh6fo57189%255B1%255D.jpg

http://bossimports.blogspot.com/2011/05/jzx-ftw.html

?? that for sale? or for show?

ercchry
05-10-2011, 03:57 PM

?? that for sale? or for show?

was more to give you an idea... but yeah i think its still available

chkolny541
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
save up alittle more, as earlier stated , 5k should give you alot more room to choose. Also i see your pretty limited to the ricer 20 yr jdm cars, theres more options than that you know...

Cooked Rice
05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Mine had 360,000 when i bought it, the SOHC ran good. The engine is actually in another S13 in town now and still going.

Afrodeziak
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Just a heads up.. asking for a lower price, before seeing the car in person and being too lazy to call someone and just texting is frowned upon.

You're probably annoying the piss out of people by doing this. You have a better chance of getting a better deal from asking price IF you actually know why you should be getting a better deal. This means you've actually seen the car in person/driven it.