PDA

View Full Version : Rated VS Actual Fuel Tank Capacities... Overcharging at the Pump?

v2kai
05-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Since last year I started documenting my fuel ups and tracking my fuel economy out of interest's sake. Today when I filled up on empty I ended up refilling a bit over the rated capacity of my tank.

I think I recall Rage2 starting a thread a while back where he tested octane levels; which turned out to be below posted ratings. Ever since that thread my trust in gas stations is pretty much nil. Can't find the thread at the moment...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen where the total liters of gas purchased was higher than your rated tank capacity? What steps were taken if this was the case for you? or do you feel a certain level of variance is normal and acceptable?

I initially had the wrong number in my head for my rated fuel capacity and thought I was being overcharged 6+ liters of premium; which is why it really bothered me. However after verifying my tank capacity the actual discrepancy in this case is only 1.692L but it still leaves me wondering how accurate the pumps are. I didn't overfill my tank with fuel dripping down the side of my vehicle so I'm wondering how it could even register above the rated capacity. In any case I don't think the refilling line has the volume capacity to account for the discrepancy.

arian_ma
05-03-2011, 11:54 AM
There was a thread on this topic a while ago. Turned out that the pumps have to have a sticker on them saying they were tested within something like 6 months, and a lot of them were incorrectly measuring volume.

Hopefully someone with more information can chime in.

v2kai
05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
There was a thread on this topic a while ago. Turned out that the pumps have to have a sticker on them saying they were tested within something like 6 months, and a lot of them were incorrectly measuring volume.

Hopefully someone with more information can chime in.

Did a quick search and nothing came up. If someone has a link I'd like to read that thread. I usually only ever fill up at 2 or 3 gas stations so I'm gonna check for that sticker after lunch.

Tik-Tok
05-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Gas tanks can hold more than what the official number says. My Subie supposedly holds 50 liters, but I regularly put 55L in, and it isn't overflowing. I don't just shop at one station either, there's 4 different ones I frequent.

If you really think the station is wrong, just call Measurements Canada and file a complaint.

tictactoe2004
05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
My GTI has a 55 litre tank and I usually put 57-59 litres into it. My F150 has a 130 litre tank and I don't think I've never been able to put more than 130 litres into it.

Mibz
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Temperature has an effect. You'll notice on pumps that volume is corrected to 10*C or something.

Also, I don't think tank capacity includes the distance between cap and tank, I'd need confirmation of that though.

Zero102
05-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Usually the rated capacity of your tank includes a certain amount of air space in the tank as well as the filler neck. There is no guarantee that the pump filling your tank will leave that exact amount of space in the tank, and if you top off the tank at all you can be certain that you are using up some of that space.

It isn't uncommon to see 1-5L above the rated tank capacity fit in there, if you see more than that I'd start to be worried though.

I also remember this thread and I think the guy said that most were within a couple percent of the correct volume, but that failures were remarkably common. Unfortunately I can't remember what to search for to find it.

YamahaV8
05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I have a 50L tank but i have a really tough time putting 40L in my tank when I'm right on the E. Go figure.

Tik-Tok
05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by v2kai

If someone has a link I'd like to read that thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/304166/shell-barlow-pump-error/

v2kai
05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
When I initially thought it was 6L+ over my eyes popped. A small level of variance is to be expected no doubt.

Quick google of past numbers really inspires confidence:

The issue of iffy gas pumps came to the fore in the summer of 2008, when a newspaper report studied 200,000 inspections by Measurement Canada and found three quarters of the devices were shorting drivers.

Some of the pumps studied erred in the retailer's favour by 4.5 per cent or more.
http://www.680news.com/news/national/article/44745--government-bill-would-crack-down-on-gasoline-pump-overcharging?ref=topic&name=TorontoElection&title=

edit: thanks for the link tik-tok

Tik-Tok
05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8
I have a 50L tank but i have a really tough time putting 40L in my tank when I'm right on the E. Go figure.

That just means your fuel gauge is fucked up. Not a bad thing when it's wrong in that direction. Ethanol really seems to fuck with gauges.

Back when we use to use Husky gas (when they were the only ones with ethanol) in our work truck, the gauge was NEVER right. Now, with Shell having Ethanol in their 87 regular grade, I tried it for shits and giggles.

At first I thought I got 20% worse fuel economy on it VS 91 (which I usually use). I only drove 400km until I hit empty, VS 500km. However when I just filled up today, I could only put 42 liters in. So I'm seeing similar mileage, it's just the ethanol fraking with the gauges.

HiTempguy1
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
When I initially thought it was 6L+ over my eyes popped. A small level of variance is to be expected no doubt.

Quick google of past numbers really inspires confidence:

http://www.680news.com/news/national/article/44745--government-bill-would-crack-down-on-gasoline-pump-overcharging?ref=topic&name=TorontoElection&title=

edit: thanks for the link tik-tok

Custody transfer is a bitch. In industry, people get fired over that sort of thing. But when it comes to retailers and consumers? LOL!