PDA

View Full Version : Who owns who?

el_fefes
01-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Ok i dunno if this is a repost, but just wanna know, who owns who...i.e. ford owns jaguar, land rover, part of mazda i think, volvo? Renault owns nissan or part of it. Let's see wat else u got.

Ben
01-15-2004, 03:59 PM
VW AG Owns: VW, SEAT, SKODA, AUDI, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and a few others :)

Porsche is a publicly held company, controlled by the Porsche and Piech families. Porsche has extensive business dealings with VW/Audi, which causes some confusion. Since currently Porsche is in some financial difficulty, there is a possibility that Mercedes or VW may be interested in purchasing the company in the near future, but this is only speculation at this time. Musch of VW/Porsche parts are the same, they share alot od the same design factors as well as many other things. Hell, My car has Porsche Door Handles, haha

el_fefes
01-15-2004, 04:04 PM
^they own porsche? damn...crazy

VWbloke
01-15-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't think Porsche is part of VAG. I think it as well as Ferrari and TVR are the last of the wholly-owned car companies.

1badPT
01-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Daimler Chrysler

Mercedes Benz
+Smart
+Maybach

Chrysler
+Dodge
+Jeep

A bunch of commercial truck brands like Freightliner and Western Star Trucks

Majority ownership of Mitsubishi Motors and partial ownership of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and an arms length partnership with Hyundai.

legendboy
01-15-2004, 04:37 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=733934

Xtrema
01-15-2004, 04:55 PM
GM
+Saab
+Subaru
+DaeWoo
+Chevy
+GMC
+Pontiac
+Saturn
+Isuzu
+Suzuki
+Opel
+Hummer
+Caddy
+Buick
+Oldmobile

Hyundai
+Kia

DalimerChrysler
+Mercedes
+Smart
+Jeep
+Dodge
+Chrysler
+Mitusbitshi

Ford
+Mazda
+Volvo
+Lincoln
+Mercury

Toyota
+Scion

Honda = independent

BMW
+Mini

Renault
+Nissan

el_fefes
01-15-2004, 04:57 PM
nice link! GM owns half the world! damn :eek: :barf:

three.eighteen.
01-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Hell, My car has Porsche Door Handles, haha

or porsches have vw door handles ;)

Xpnsve
01-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Hyundai
+Kia?????

Seanith
01-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Xpnsve
Hyundai
+Kia?????

What don't you understand? Hyundai ownz Kia.

CelicaST-162
01-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
GM
+Saab
+Subaru
+DaeWoo
+Chevy
+GMC
+Pontiac
+Saturn
+Isuzu
+Suzuki
+Opel
+Hummer
+Caddy
+Buick
+Oldmobile

Hyundai
+Kia

DalimerChrysler
+Mercedes
+Smart
+Jeep
+Dodge
+Chrysler
+Mitusbitshi

Ford
+Mazda
+Volvo
+Lincoln
+Mercury

Toyota
+Scion

Honda = independent

BMW
+Mini

Renault
+Nissan

Toyota...Scion?? I believe its Lexus. The Scion is part of the toyota fleet.

1badPT
01-15-2004, 05:45 PM
For Ford, the Mercury brand is dead, and you forgot Jaguar and a bunch of others.

Honda owns / is Acura

Toyota owns / is Lexus.

Nissan owns / is Infiniti.

C4S
01-15-2004, 05:46 PM
BMW -- > Rolls Royce and Mini :thumbsup:

I think Toyota owns (or patrial) some others .. :confused:

hjr
01-15-2004, 06:07 PM
a few of the GM companies are not OWNED by GM, rather they have a large stake in the company. IE. subaru. i believe thats the same with renault and nissan.

Xtrema
01-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
For Ford, the Mercury brand is dead, and you forgot Jaguar and a bunch of others.

In Canada but not for US - for now.

1badPT
01-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Yeah, but they'll be axing it down there too. They have 2005 models listed though so maybe they're planning to keep it around a bit longer :dunno: . I don't see the point though since most of the line is rebadged fords, they're better off to sell them as fords, just in different trim.

Maybe they got cold feet about killing the brand like GM did with Oldsmobile?

T5_X
01-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Few more:

GM: Holden, Vauxhaull

Ford: Aston Martin, Land Rover

VAG: Bentley now

Fiat: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati

PSA: Peugeot, Citroen

googe
01-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Fuji Heavy Industries owns Subaru, but GM has ~35%-40% shares in the company.

thich
01-16-2004, 01:31 AM
dude, I had to do some heavy sifting through my archives, good thing i saved this: http://www.pommert.de/virtualia/garage/
gives you a gooooood understanding of where everyone is and who owns who; looks like Toyota and Honda are the only JDM companies that have their own ownership lol.

hockeybronx
01-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Who Owns Who? Who Cares?

Just go Euro.

hjr
01-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Who Owns Who? Who Cares?

Just go Euro. why do you even talk?

Seanith
01-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by hjr
why do you even talk?

:werd:

89EF
01-17-2004, 12:48 AM
^ LOL

Grexx
01-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by hjr
why do you even talk?

Hehe...what do you expect from a guy who owns a 2.0 slow

Maxt
01-17-2004, 11:59 AM
From the horses mouth, on the Mazda/ford ownership thing..
All over the walls of Mazda HQ, they have plaques commemorating the technical alliance with Ford.
When asked if Ford owns Mazda, the response fron the Mazda mouthpiece, is that Ford invested into a technical alliance with Mazda, in order to use some of the Mazda expertise in their own vehicles as well as to get market share in other countries under the mazda banner where Ford cannot meet certain trade restrictions, in other words, where Yankee scum is not tolerated I guess.. They would not/did not use the word own, or bought in any reference with Ford, only alliance, so in Mazda's eyes, they are still their own, of course it would take a team of lawyers and accountants to really get to the truth, but thats Mazda's story and they are sticking to it...
Toyota has signed many alliances with GM, to the point they are pretty much part of the GM family, in Japan there are common GM vehicles sporting Toyota badging, Yes lots of J-body's- Cavalier and sunfires with Toyota names and badges, and no, nobody, rices them out there... Some of the cars still manage to where there GM names, but some of the stuff didn't, I saw a few GM vans wearing Toyota badging as well as some caprice classics...Max

soloracer
01-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Since when is Porsche in "financial difficulty"? From what I understand they are the most profitable car company out there with plenty of cash. I would like to know where you got the impression they are in trouble and ready to be bought.

soloracer
01-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Ben:

Check out Porsche's financial statements here:

Porsche Cars Financial Statement (http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/usa/company/annualreport/finances/performance/default.htm)

Hardly a company that is in trouble or having "financial difficulties" as you suggest.

Once again, where do you get your information from?

2000impreza
01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by googe
Fuji Heavy Industries owns Subaru, but GM has ~35%-40% shares in the company.

just curious where you go that figure from? last i heard GM owned 18% of FHI.

Alpine Autowerks
02-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
From the horses mouth, on the Mazda/ford ownership thing..
All over the walls of Mazda HQ, they have plaques commemorating the technical alliance with Ford.
When asked if Ford owns Mazda, the response fron the Mazda mouthpiece, is that

or we could use a quote from a Ward's auto article

"The easy start and seemingly smooth ride since Ford Motor Co.'s May 1996 acquisition of a controlling 33.4% stake in the Japanese auto company"..... blah blah etc. and it goes on to name the last 2 Mazda Presidents; Jim Miller & Mark Fields ???

sounds like 2 good ol' Hiroshima Polytech grads eh!

gwkwan
02-21-2004, 05:46 PM
GM
+Subaru

r u serious?
this is new to me

hjr
02-21-2004, 06:31 PM
gm owns a large part of subaru, but the parent company is fuji heavy industries.

Redlyne_mr2
02-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by hjr
gm owns a large part of subaru, but the parent company is fuji heavy industries.
Thats right, some of the new saabs are practically identical to subarus other than fit finish and engines

fast95pony
02-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Ben:

Check out Porsche's financial statements here:

Porsche Cars Financial Statement (http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/usa/company/annualreport/finances/performance/default.htm)

Hardly a company that is in trouble or having "financial difficulties" as you suggest.

Once again, where do you get your information from?

I see record earnings from the launch of a new vehicle ,but what about profit figures ??
Do you think the Porsche purists like to see "Porsche" on an SUV ?? They had to build it or risk going bye-bye...

GTS Jeff
02-21-2004, 10:03 PM
if u guys want to know, just visit the corporate websites for these auto companies.

962 kid
02-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony

I see record earnings from the launch of a new vehicle ,but what about profit figures ??
Do you think the Porsche purists like to see "Porsche" on an SUV ?? They had to build it or risk going bye-bye...

earnings = profit for Porsche as they carry NO DEBT !
the design costs and tooling are paid for already, out of "pocket".

5.9 R/T
02-22-2004, 05:33 PM
DC owns Airbus? WTF?

T5_X
02-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Thats right, some of the new saabs are practically identical to subarus other than fit finish and engines

Only the 9-2. SAAB has an SUV coming out too which is going to essentially be a rebadged Envoy/Trailblazer.

hjr
02-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
DC owns Airbus? WTF? DC airlines folded a while ago if im not mistaken. where did you get your info from? From the Airbus site: Based in Toulouse, France, Airbus is an EADS joint Company with BAE SYSTEMS, incorporated under French law as a simplified joint stock company.

EADS is the largest Aerospace company in Europe. They own an 80% stake in Airbus.

5.9 R/T
02-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by hjr
DC airlines folded a while ago if im not mistaken. where did you get your info from? From the Airbus site: Based in Toulouse, France, Airbus is an EADS joint Company with BAE SYSTEMS, incorporated under French law as a simplified joint stock company.

EADS is the largest Aerospace company in Europe. They own an 80% stake in Airbus.

No shit. Im meant Daimler Chrysler. If you follow this link:
http://www.pommert.de/virtualia/garage/
you'll see that DC owns 30.2% of EADS which in turn owns 80% of Airbus.

DC (Douglas Commercial) merged with Mc Donnell to become MD (Mc Donnell - Douglas) which Boeing now owns.

hjr
02-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

No shit. Im meant Daimler Chrysler. If you follow this link:
http://www.pommert.de/virtualia/garage/
you'll see that DC owns 30.2% of EADS which in turn owns 80% of Airbus.

DC (Douglas Commercial) merged with Mc Donnell to become MD (Mc Donnell - Douglas) which Boeing now owns. no need to get persnickity. all you said was "DC owns airbus". Basically you were wrong because you didnt clarify. You second post is more informative and actually has a point. Yet Daimler Chrysler doesnt 'own' airbus. They have a stake in EADS. Its a little different.

Mahk Uno
02-23-2004, 11:39 AM
ford ownes more then 4...aston martin, volvo, land rover,

redline
02-23-2004, 01:39 PM
and Honda owns Isuzu USA and GM owns everything else. Before the pilot and MDX you were able to buy a honda trooper in the US. I am not sure if that has changed in the last couple of years.

5.9 R/T
02-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by hjr
no need to get persnickity. all you said was "DC owns airbus". Basically you were wrong because you didnt clarify. You second post is more informative and actually has a point. Yet Daimler Chrysler doesnt 'own' airbus. They have a stake in EADS. Its a little different.

That is not quite right either, DC has controlling share of EADS, so in the broadest sense of the word they do 'own' Airbus. No where in the previous posts was Douglas Com. mentioned so why would you think that is what I was talking about? Had you read the link thich posted you would have understood DC to be Daimler Chrysler and not Douglas Com., which is not mentioned anywhere in this thread since they have not been around for some 30 odd years.

sputnik
02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Honda = independent

Honda
+Acura

CLiVE
05-29-2004, 12:44 AM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/brands.htm

Follow the link. There is a very good explanation....:thumbsup:

Zephyr
05-29-2004, 12:54 AM