PDA

View Full Version : Boo-urns. No more Shell Easypay!

Tik-Tok
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Just got a letter saying they're discontinuing Shell Easypay, starting June 1st, and aren't coming out with another pay at the pump system (yet).

Shitty, I really liked Easypay, so much better than having to swipe/use pin#.

CapnCrunch
05-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I weep for the extra 10 seconds it will now take to pay for your fuel.

Sugarphreak
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM

adidas
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
How much would you like to fill up today?

One Moment Please...

Would you like a car wash?

One Moment Please...

Please select account

One Moment Please...

Please enter pin

One Moment Please...

Get ready to fill up

One Moment Please...

Select grade

One Moment Please...

Start filling

One Moment Please...

:banghead:

max_boost
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Pay cash.

boarderfatty
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Honestly I still go in and pay every time. I can count on a single hand the number of times I have paid at the pump. I select my grade, fill it up, go into the store grab a vitamin water, slurpee, snack, pack of smokes etc. and pay at the counter.

I usually find there is something I want in the store that makes me go in there otherwise so I might as well pay for my gas there as well.

Though maybe if I started paying at the pump it would help my waist line a little ha ha.

Aleks
05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I watched a show recently that went around and tested a bunch of gas pump handles and showed most of them had bacteria/fecal matter.

They explained that most of the time people don't get sick because their immune systems are strong enough. But still :barf:

Guillermo
05-04-2011, 01:04 PM
^^and by "fecal matter," they mean E. coli, which can be found on just about everywhere, including a lot of your food. :rofl: so although it sounds bad, it's not really different than anything else you're toughing all day. ;)

Xtrema
05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure I said in a thread somewhere that Easypay is ending 1st half of 2011. I'm surprised they are just sending the letter out now.

The cost of the keeping a system like that up is too high for retail gas business. It's cheaper to let credit card companies to deal with security of payment systems.

Big oil has been exiting retail business for a while now:

http://www.downstreamtoday.com/news/article.aspx?a_id=21669&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/06/12/us-exxon-idUSN1238193020080612

So they won't be spending any more $ in that front. I'm surprised Esso still has their Speedpass.

Mibz
05-04-2011, 01:39 PM
:(

Disoblige
05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Speedpass bitches! :D

JRSC00LUDE
05-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by adidas

One Moment Please...

One Moment Please...

Please select account

One Moment Please...

Please enter pin

One Moment Please...

Get ready to fill up

One Moment Please...

Select grade

One Moment Please...

Start filling

One Moment Please...

Exactly. NOT quick, NOT convenient, NOT worth it.

Mitsu3000gt
05-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Damn I loved Easy Pay. It was so damn quick, and one of the main reasons I always fill up at Shell. Scan, say no to car wash, and fill up.

Artega
05-04-2011, 03:32 PM
You guys never go fill up on gas and walk inside to 5 other customers standing in front of you? Each trying to pay with loose change?

It’s frustrating when you could’ve paid at the pump with the easypay/speedpass and just go.

Now it’s just one less convenience that we use to have.

I wouldn’t mind if they’re doing away from the easypay to implement MC or Visa’s RFID payment.

Xtrema
05-04-2011, 04:07 PM

One Moment Please...

One Moment Please...

Please select account

One Moment Please...

Please enter pin

One Moment Please...

Get ready to fill up

One Moment Please...

Select grade

One Moment Please...

Start filling

One Moment Please...

Some Shell stations are worst than others. But it's all depends on which generation of pump system they get.

The best are the ones with dedicated premium pump.

-FINCH-
05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I vaguely remember when you had to go inside to pay no matter what. So whats the big deal now? Is it just people have gotten lazy? too caught up thinking there time is that important?

adam c
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM

One Moment Please...

One Moment Please...

Please select account

One Moment Please...

Please enter pin

One Moment Please...

Get ready to fill up

One Moment Please...

Select grade

One Moment Please...

Start filling

One Moment Please...

You missed a couple steps

Insert Card

One Moment Please...

Swipe Air Miles or Press No to continue

One Moment Please...

Do you require a fill up

One Moment Please...

Please enter the amount you wish to purchase

One Moment Please...

2000TL
05-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Damn I loved Easy Pay. It was so damn quick, and one of the main reasons I always fill up at Shell. Scan, say no to car wash, and fill up.

+1. Easypay was awesome. I just got the letter yesterday too.

JudasJimmy
05-04-2011, 05:28 PM
damn that pisses me off. I guess I'll be using esso speed pass more.

RecoilS14
05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Paying at the pump means you don't go inside. Not going inside means you won't buy anything other than gas.

jwslam
05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Pay cash.

Originally posted by RecoilS14
Paying at the pump means you don't go inside. Not going inside means you won't buy anything other than gas.

:werd:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/331326/proper-etiquette-at-a-gas-station/

Benny
05-04-2011, 06:45 PM

One Moment Please...

One Moment Please...

Please select account

One Moment Please...

Please enter pin

One Moment Please...

Get ready to fill up

One Moment Please...

Select grade

One Moment Please...

Start filling

One Moment Please...

Or just:

Insert credit card

Select grade

Go

I'll agree that paying with debit at the pump is a fucking cunt though. Still, it's almost always faster than actually going inside.

CUG
05-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
Paying at the pump means you don't go inside. Not going inside means you won't buy anything other than gas. I wonder how long it took them to sit down and do the math on that :rofl: I'd wager this is the only reason they disco'd it.

i.RSX
05-22-2011, 01:25 AM
At the risk of getting flamed for digging up an old thread, I would like to say that I hope they're planning to replace it with NFC technology! That way I would be able to pay just by flashing my (next) phone at it. w00t!

LLLimit
05-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by i.RSX
At the risk of getting flamed for digging up an old thread, I would like to say that I hope they're planning to replace it with NFC technology! That way I would be able to pay just by flashing my (next) phone at it. w00t!

Hard to NFC anything with an off phone
http://perfectsong.net/Edited%20photos%203/Warning%20Cell%20Phones.jpg

BokCh0y
05-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Benny

Or just:

Insert credit card

Select grade

Go

I'll agree that paying with debit at the pump is a fucking cunt though. Still, it's almost always faster than actually going inside.

THIS.

asifka
05-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I find Esso has the fastest pay at pump:thumbsup:. Its not fast as easypay or speed pass, although faster then shell or petrocanada pay at pump.

The slowest pay at the pump is Co-op.every step can literally take 10 secs+:thumbsup:

i.RSX
05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by LLLimit

Hard to NFC anything with an off phone
http://perfectsong.net/Edited%20photos%203/Warning%20Cell%20Phones.jpg

LOL, good point. But does anyone really turn off their phone at the pump? I can understand not using it though...there goes that NFC dream.

Xtrema
05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
...there goes that NFC dream.

I think NFC is still 3-5 years away.

And seeing how paypass is only working 80% of time and only in may be 40% vendors after 5 years in the market, I really doubt NFC will take over any time soon.

i.RSX
05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Yea, paypass is really sketchy. I think most of the time it's because the cashier doesn't know how to make their terminal accept it. When it's self-serve then it's just not set up properly, lol. You're probably right on the NFC being years and years away lol.

Xtrema
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
You're probably right on the NFC being years and years away lol.

With all the tech advances, we still can't get rid of the stripe in the back of the CC after almost 30 years since they started.

That said, NFC on my Nexus S is picking up an unknown tag in my wallet, wonder what's triggering it.

i.RSX
05-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
That said, NFC on my Nexus S is picking up an unknown tag in my wallet, wonder what's triggering it.

Interference with PayPass enabled cards?

Disoblige
05-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Really? I never had a problem with PayPass and I love every single aspect of it. Set it up so that they don't ask you any questions and you'll start fueling up in around 15 seconds.

But then again, I only ever fuel up at 1-2 specific Esso stations :)