PDA

View Full Version : New WRX from Calgary Subaru rusting

Chester
05-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Update #3:
Subaru Calgary will be re-painting my trunk under warranty, finally :clap: :clap:

Update #2:
Just picked the car up from The Shine Factory. The owner was very helpful and managed to remove all the rail dust. As I suspected, the trunk IS actually rusting from below the paint, it is not rail dust. He said he mentioned this to Paul (Subaru service manager), I'll see what he has to say when I get a chance to call him tomorrow.

New pics:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5073/5854044711_729cfab455.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/5854046283_96bd4d4899.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/5854598426_96ce44a8a2.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/5854047587_96910c331d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/5854621068_2a9ef21441.jpg

Update:
So after contacting Subaru Canada, Paul (service manager) finally decided to offer me a power polish free of charge. I told them this wouldn't remedy the problem as the rust is coming UP through the paint. They insisted. Took the car to Subaru yesterday, left it with them all day. Got a call around 3:00 saying the car was done and they managed to remove all the rail dust!:)
For once, I'm thinking "Yessss, they finally did something right"....WRONG
I go pick up the car, take a look at it, and it looks WORSE. It looks like someone took 400 grit sandpaper to all the spots, so now instead of just rust, I have a scratched to shit, rusted out car.
I tried to snap pics, but the scratches are hard to capture, but they're there, trust me.

AVOID SUBARU CALGARY LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on what I should do with this situation.

I purchased this car back in January brand new and rust is starting to show ALL over the body of the car. I had a similar problem with my 2009 wrx, just not as severe and it didn't happen so fast.
I've taken the car to the dealership and they refuse to do anything, even though this is clearly stated in the owners manual:

"SURFACE CORROSION LIMITED WARRANTY (36 MONTH/60,000 KM)"
This warranty covers surface corrosion to visible painted body panels for 36 months or 60,000 km.

"ANTI-PERFORATION LIMITED WARRANTY (60 MONTH/UNLIMITED KM)"
This warranty covers perforation due to corrosion to body sheet metal panels for 60 months, regardless of kilometers.

The service manager, Paul, took pictures of the car and supposedly sent them to Subaru back in February. Paul said he would give me a call once he heard back from Subaru, he did not call. I called him after about a month and he said "Oh, I still haven't heard from Subaru". I'm guessing he just forgot and didn't send the pictures at all. He then says he will give Subaru a call and call me back, didn't hear from him. I call him a week later hoping to get this resolved, as I was going for surgery near the end of March and can't drive for three months, his words were "It is not rust, it is environmental contamination and warranty does not cover that" WTF??? The car is parked in a garage at home and at work. My commute to work is maybe 15 KM.

I decided to call Subaru Calgary again this morning and spoke to another service manager, Bill. I told him the problem, he said "Oh yeah, there's a recall for the rust issue". So I go ahead and give him my VIN number so he can check the recall and he said he would give me a call back; of course I didn't receive a call. I called him a few times during the day, no luck. I called again after work and he pretty much wrote me off saying "Oh I don't know what recalls they have for your car, Paul was looking in to it, he's out of the country now, blah blah blah". The last time I spoke with Paul was in March and he pretty much told me to fu*k off.

A friend of mine has the same car, color, and had the same problem; they fixed it for him under warranty no problem. On the Subaru forums, a few of the guys on there have the same rusting problem and the dealership covered it under warranty.

I'm not sure what Subaru Calgary's particular beef is with me, I've been a great customer, bought two cars from them in the last two years, yet they fight with me over EVERYTHING.

I just want to get this resolved so I never have to step foot in that dealership again.

Pics:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5026/5688247223_35890b99e2.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5688247555_8489418605.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5026/5688818744_4cf117dbc4.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5288/5688818422_9ac0a1ca6b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5688245869_1ae46b0776.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5183/5688245577_e91a47445d.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5688245213_ebe4bcfa1b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5227/5688816754_9579cb3e46.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5184/5688244597_cca6f48abc.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics, I'm on crutches and its hard to balance on one leg and snap pics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BrknFngrs
05-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm honestly not sure how Paul manages to keep his job; without a doubt the most ignorant and useless person I've ever met in a service position. I suspect this is something you're going to have to bring to Subaru Canada's attention directly; you should also make a point of how useless Paul is.

riced
05-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Is this penetrating the paint or is it just surface spots?

I know that with my girlfriend's white Fit, she gets the same problem over winter. But during summer, all I need to do is take some paint cleaner and my PC and it buffs right out again. I don't know what it is, but it seems like it happens on a lot of white cars for some reason.

Although in your pics, it looks pretty bad.. so I can't be sure.

Maxt
05-04-2011, 06:40 PM
That looks like the paint on both sprinters I had, Chrysler warranty determined it was from hot brake dust particles from Rail transport. They wouldn't do anything about it.
But if Subaru had a for sure paint defect causing it, can you try another dealership?

Chester
05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by riced
Is this penetrating the paint or is it just surface spots?

I know that with my girlfriend's white Fit, she gets the same problem over winter. But during summer, all I need to do is take some paint cleaner and my PC and it buffs right out again. I don't know what it is, but it seems like it happens on a lot of white cars for some reason.

Although in your pics, it looks pretty bad.. so I can't be sure.

It looks and feels like it's penetrating the paint. It actually looks a lot worse in person. My mom has a white 2008 Lexus IS350, the paint is flawless, no "flecks" or rail dust in the paint and the car is winter driven. I don't care what they do, I just want Subaru Calgary to own up and fix the problem.

Chester
05-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
That looks like the paint on both sprinters I had, Chrysler warranty determined it was from hot brake dust particles from Rail transport. They wouldn't do anything about it.
But if Subaru had a for sure paint defect causing it, can you try another dealership?

If I can't get this resolved with Calgary Subaru, I will try Centaur. I would rather stick with Calgary Subaru because its closer to where I live and my sister would be the one taking the car in because I can't drive for another month or so. I don't want her running around for me:)

Aleks
05-04-2011, 07:19 PM
When you said you know a few guys that have had this warrantied, do you know what was done for them? I've seen these specks on a few cars around town including my wife's Forester, a Kia, Honda etc. Seems waxing in the spring takes them off but they are not as bad as your car...

jetfire
05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I picked up my car in swp around the same time and have the same rail dust problem as you, however your's looks much worse. People on other forums say clay bar and polish/wax works well.

What did they do for your buddy's car under warranty?

kevie88
05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I recommend another dealer. Subaru Calgary is one of the worst dealers I have EVER dealt with for customer service. I got jacked by the service department there a couple of times and have never, and will never go back.

I've also noticed that they turn over staff once a week over there. If the staff can't even stand to work there, you know it has to be trouble.

se7en
05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
hmm... I would go in a raise hell. You need a Brand new car.

see chrysler lemon thread....good luck with this.

Darell_n
05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
FYI, the rust recall is for the rear chrome trim rubbing on the paint and causing rust. (as mine was) They pull off the trim, clear up the rust best they can, then remount the trim with with different fasteners and what looks like a foam spacer to prevent future rubs.

kevie88
05-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I was just thinking, you should park the car in front of Subaru Calgary on a Saturday, with big signs all over it pointing out the rust and the number of kilometers on the car. Maybe some big stickers on the side of the car saying "DON'T BUY A SUBARU FROM SUBARU CALGARY" and see how it goes..

I bet you get some action then!

kvg
05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Thats gotta be from "rail dust", but I have never seen it that bad. My friend had that happen with his mazda and is still fighting with them 2yrs later.:thumbsdow

schocker
05-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I would try claybarring it to see if that helps at all if it is mostly surface rust. I know my white car looked like that when I polished it up last weekend but all of the rust came off with the clay bar. But if they are not helping you, have you tried contacting subaru canada directly or say amvic as they could turn the heat up on the dealer for you.

Chester
05-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by jetfire
I picked up my car in swp around the same time and have the same rail dust problem as you, however your's looks much worse. People on other forums say clay bar and polish/wax works well.

What did they do for your buddy's car under warranty?

Originally posted by Aleks
When you said you know a few guys that have had this warrantied, do you know what was done for them? I've seen these specks on a few cars around town including my wife's Forester, a Kia, Honda etc. Seems waxing in the spring takes them off but they are not as bad as your car...

One guy was given a new trunk lid, another guy had to have his whole car resprayed, and the last was a simple power polish.
I think power polishing would remove the flecks from the doors, but the trunk is fucked.

4lti
05-04-2011, 08:21 PM
You can polish off all that. The recall as said is for the chrome trim on the hatches 08-11. They remove the trim and clear off the rust with a compound, but if there is any rust behind the emblem or bubbling it the gets sent to a body shop to be fixed. The problem with the trim was the screws material was rubbing on the body and retaining water.

As for these rust spots, I see them on a few of the 08+ years. No idea what causes it tho.

Chester
05-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I would try claybarring it to see if that helps at all if it is mostly surface rust. I know my white car looked like that when I polished it up last weekend but all of the rust came off with the clay bar. But if they are not helping you, have you tried contacting subaru canada directly or say amvic as they could turn the heat up on the dealer for you.

I contacted Subaru Canada this evening, which I had to do 3 months ago just so Calgary Subaru would get their asses in gear and resolve a much bigger problem that could've been avoided if they had just listened to me in the first place. :)

Chester
05-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 4lti
You can polish off all that. The recall as said is for the chrome trim on the hatches 08-11. They remove the trim and clear off the rust with a compound, but if there is any rust behind the emblem or bubbling it the gets sent to a body shop to be fixed. The problem with the trim was the screws material was rubbing on the body and retaining water.

As for these rust spots, I see them on a few of the 08+ years. No idea what causes it tho.

As I said, the body of the car can be polished/clayed, but the trunk needs to be replaced or repainted. I tried clay on the trunk on March 20. The car has been sitting since and I just took those pics today.

sillysod
05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
??? Are these cars not galvanized ???

I know with any German car they galvanize it before painting so unless you smack it up and have it repaired it will never ever rust.

Is the STI the 2011 version of the Protege5?

OP that really really sucks, all you can do is make their life a living hell. Unless you get under their skin to the point they know every morning when they get to work they will have to deal with a call from you, they will just ignore it. A phone call every 2 weeks is easy to forget.

You need to ride them about this daily until they resolve it or tell you to screw off... in which case you just go a notch up the ladder and repeat.

Darell_n
05-04-2011, 08:37 PM
For what it's worth, my '08 Impreza in pearl white has the worst paint and glass of any vehicle I've owned. (this is the first import I've owned)

heavyD
05-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

In a word yes. Subaru uses the worst paint in the industry and zero rust proofing. I have no idea why people think that Subaru's are well built cars.

OP you should be able to remove most/all of the surface rust with a clay bar and light polish except the rust in the picks near the logo as it's clearly under the paint and bubbling it up. That area will have to be sanded and repainted as that rust will spread fast like cancer.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-04-2011, 08:58 PM
That's exactly it. I can't believe the damage to my Subaru caused by rock chips, it's almost like the bumper and hood need to be resprayed.
I also have a spot of rust by my windshield.
Subaru needs to step it up in that department

Chester
05-04-2011, 09:04 PM
??? Are these cars not galvanized ???

I know with any German car they galvanize it before painting so unless you smack it up and have it repaired it will never ever rust.

OP that really really sucks, all you can do is make their life a living hell. Unless you get under their skin to the point they know every morning when they get to work they will have to deal with a call from you, they will just ignore it. A phone call every 2 weeks is easy to forget.

You need to ride them about this daily until they resolve it or tell you to screw off... in which case you just go a notch up the ladder and repeat.

Everything on the car is cheaply done/made. The engine/awd is what your paying for on these cars.

No doubt on the protege5 comparison, I know all about that:rofl:

I did the call everyday thing for about three months, showing up at the dealership at least twice a week for an unrelated issue and it was such a waste of my time. You call, a receptionist puts you on hold maybe 3-4 times, only to tell you so-n-so is with a customer, can I take a message? It takes you 10 minutes to tell me they're with a customer? It's a small fuckin' dealership lol.
I don't want to have to drive to the dealership because these idiots won't return my calls. Very frustrating:banghead:

Onassis
05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Had piston ring and paint issues with my GRB as well, except Rally Subaru here in Edmonton took pretty good care of me. I sold it as soon as I got it back though lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Paint on my 05 Legacy seems to be pretty shitty, my 1992 Nissan with original paint was in much better condition paint wise when I sold it a few months ago.

Kavy
05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Having owned 2 Subaru's previously a (CGM and Black) I have to echo issues with the paint. My CGM had terrible rust issues and Centaur laughed me away, Calgary Subaru power polished and touched up the car no issues.

My 07 Black was much better rust wise but thats like saying dog shit tastes better then horse shit.

Overall some elbow grease will remove a large amount of the surface rust.

Overall I loved my Subaru's when I had them but I have never in my life seen paint that is so cheap.

se7en
05-04-2011, 09:47 PM
my 02 wrx black is actually still quite nice..I am sure not going to buy a newer one now though!:facepalm:

btimbit
05-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Chester

I don't want to have to drive to the dealership because these idiots won't return my calls. Very frustrating:banghead:

Raising hell in person is sometimes the only way to get anything done. Pain in the ass but a lot quicker

Subaru paint:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

gpomp
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
looks like rail dust to me, especially the spots on the fenders. that's how my white car looks after winter before i clay it

Redlined_8000
05-04-2011, 10:19 PM
That is brutal!!! only 2000k and already looking like that! Simply disgusting! you didnt pay 30k++ for this shit!!!

:eek: :banghead:

Guess the new sti is off my list for cars...

GL op hope they own up to that garbage!

Jetta-2.0
05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
i would do like what was said on page one.

Park the car at the dealer with signs on it stating your problem and that the dealer is not doing shit about it im sure it will make people think twice before going in.

sneek
05-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
looks like rail dust to me, especially the spots on the fenders. that's how my white car looks after winter before i clay it

Typically when the problem gets this bad it is slightly beyond the abilities of clay. For situations like this, there are things neutralization products that address the even the smallest contaminants via chemical cleans (versus the physical cleaning of clay). Conventional claying usually takes out the big stuff, but to get to the root you would have to use a neutralization system.

I only know of two companies that make such products: ValuGuard and Finish Kare ....there may be more out there though

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/finish-kare-system.html

and

http://www.valugard.net/cms/xramp/ValuGardNeutralizationSystem/tabid/84/Default.aspx

Regardless the dealer should replace the trunk lid if the paint is bubbling!

Zero102
05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Almost 100% sure that is rail dust. That means it was on the car before you bought it and before you took it home. IMO it is their problem to fix. Part of the PDI is detailing the car to remove the rail dust to prevent exactly this issue. They aren't doing their job :dunno:

R-Audi
05-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Please keep us/me updated, my Wife recently found a few 'rust' spots on her 2011 White WRX...

I havent tried claybar or anything yet, but the spots I saw certainly weren't bubbling yet.

heavyD
05-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Please keep us/me updated, my Wife recently found a few 'rust' spots on her 2011 White WRX...

I havent tried claybar or anything yet, but the spots I saw certainly weren't bubbling yet.

As people have said most of the time it's just rail dust. Just clay bar them. Some times you can remove them with your finger nail. However if it's an actual rock chip that's rusting you will want to carefrully sand the spot and use a primer/paint touch up on the area. If it's a rock chip and not rail dust get on it soon especially on a Subaru. Once it gets to the stage of the OP's trunk it's too late and the area will have to be refinished.

kenny
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
My WRX trunk looked like that. It looks a lot worse than it is. I just took a wet microfiber cloth and it came off.

Chester
06-14-2011, 07:47 AM
BUMP
Update:
So after contacting Subaru Canada, Paul (service manager) finally decided to offer me a power polish free of charge. I told them this wouldn't remedy the problem as the rust is coming UP through the paint. They insisted. Took the car to Subaru yesterday, left it with them all day. Got a call around 3:00 saying the car was done and they managed to remove all the rail dust!:)
For once, I'm thinking "Yessss, they finally did something right"....WRONG
I go pick up the car, take a look at it, and it looks WORSE. It looks like someone took 400 grit sandpaper to all the spots, so now instead of just rust, I have a scratched to shit, rusted out car.
I tried to snap pics, but the scratches are hard to capture, but they're there, trust me.

AVOID SUBARU CALGARY LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Disoblige
06-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Did you point this out to them? What did they say?

Chester
06-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Did you point this out to them? What did they say?

I did point it out to Paul to which he responded "Oh, that's definitely not rail dust, all of our cars come covered and we prep the paint properly before the customers pick them up":rolleyes:
I told him I had the exact same problem with my last WRX and I know of other people with the same problem. I also mentioned had he taken care of the problem right away when I brought it to his attention, it wouldn't be as bad as it is. He made an appointment at the shine shop for me just to have the scratches removed that his idiot detailer put all over the car, but I guess I'm on my own for the rust.

Disoblige
06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Wow, I'm surprised Paul acknowledged that his detailer fucked up and made an appointment for you to get those scratches fixed.

At least you'll get them fixed, although you've wasted a lot of time already with this..

Sentry
06-14-2011, 08:34 AM
That isn't the car rusting, that's fallout embedded in the paint from transportation (probably rail) from the factory to the dealership.

And as was said, any detailer with even rudimentary skill can remove it. Most the shit should have come out with a clay bar. Sounds like whatever kid they have doing it at Subaru doesn't know shit about fuck.

Chester
06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Update #2:
Just picked the car up from The Shine Factory. The owner was very helpful and managed to remove all the rail dust. As I suspected, the trunk IS actually rusting from below the paint, it is not rail dust. He said he mentioned this to Paul (Subaru service manager), I'll see what he has to say when I get a chance to call him tomorrow.

New pics:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5073/5854044711_729cfab455.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/5854046283_96bd4d4899.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/5854598426_96ce44a8a2.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/5854047587_96910c331d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/5854621068_2a9ef21441.jpg

heavyD
06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

OP you should be able to remove most/all of the surface rust with a clay bar and light polish except the rust in the picks near the logo as it's clearly under the paint and bubbling it up. That area will have to be sanded and repainted as that rust will spread fast like cancer.

As I suspected, the trunk IS actually rusting from below the paint, it is not rail dust.

Just like I said. What really sucks is that Subaru really doesn't have to warranty it unless there's perforation.

Chester
06-20-2011, 05:34 PM

As I said, the body of the car can be polished/clayed, but the trunk needs to be replaced or repainted. I tried clay on the trunk on March 20. The car has been sitting since and I just took those pics today.

Just like I said. What really sucks is that Subaru really doesn't have to warranty it unless there's perforation.

I also mentioned that I suspected it was rust in one of the opening posts:)

Subaru will warranty this, or I will raise hell for them.

DonJuan
06-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I have a friend with the exact same issue on her 2010 Impreza as well. Small spots of bubling under the paint. Who should she yell at?

heavyD
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM

I also mentioned that I suspected it was rust in one of the opening posts:)

Yeah but I only had your pics to go by. :)

Subaru will warranty this, or I will raise hell for them.

If they will agree to repaint the trunk see if you can take it to a shop of your choice that you trust will actually prep the area properly, remove the rust rather than just ruff it up and spray new paint over.

Shame on Subaru though as this kind of stuff shouldn't happen to a new car.

InRich
06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
OMFG..... like seriously... I can't believe I'm even seeing this thread... after reading, and looking at the pictures, i would NEVER EVER buy this make... wow

Sorry OP. I feel for ya. dont be afraid to go there and just rage... I know I would. and if I financed the car, I'd go ahead and tell them to take it back.

Wannago
06-20-2011, 07:22 PM
If they aren't too willing to help, maybe suggest that you will park your car just outside the dealership with big signs on it, as a good-will gesture intended to provide a consumer's opinion to other prosective buyers; highlighting the quality product they sell.

They'll take care of you.

Maxx Mazda
06-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow, and I thought Protege 5's were bad!

(No, mine is not rusting, but we've all seen them on the roads.)

Kennyredline
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
OP, document the fuck out of everything; make a journal of who you talk to, what date and what time and what was said.
I would get some legal advice, get a quote from a body shop on how much it will cost to fix the rust issues, then go to the dealership with that info. Tell them if they don't fix it to your satisfaction, you'll do it and sue them for the cost, as well as your trouble. If you can get a lawyer to phone them, all the better.
If you do go to court, a judge will clearly see the dealership wants to fuck you over, and probably side with you. You are able to claim your legal fees, and your court costs.
Good luck.

gyu
06-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Noticed some rail dust on my car too and it's not even been a year , was wondering what these orange spots were that I was able to rub off with my finger :(

sillysod
06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I cant understand why they don't wrap these cars prior to shipping.

When I go to VW or Audi dealer I always see the cars completely wrapped in plastic.

Seems like such a simple solution. That being said I just picked up a nissan frontier and can say the paint on it is definitely inferior to my F150 paint job. My Acura CL-S also didn't have very good paint.

Maybe its just a japaneese car thing.

heavyD
06-24-2011, 08:17 AM

When I go to VW or Audi dealer I always see the cars completely wrapped in plastic.

Seems like such a simple solution. That being said I just picked up a nissan frontier and can say the paint on it is definitely inferior to my F150 paint job. My Acura CL-S also didn't have very good paint.

This rail dust isn't from transport. It's from daily winter driving on sand and salt covered roads. The rust is a Subaru problem affecting a lot of 2008+ Imprezas.

bart
06-24-2011, 09:33 AM

you get what you pay for ;)

sillysod
06-24-2011, 10:45 AM

This rail dust isn't from transport. It's from daily winter driving on sand and salt covered roads. The rust is a Subaru problem affecting a lot of 2008+ Imprezas.

So "Rail Dust" actually has nothing to do with rails? I assumed it was just rust deposited from rail cars during transport. I have never had any of my cars just develop rust spots all over them from picking up filings of metal driving around town although I guess it happens.

Originally posted by bart

you get what you pay for ;)

It's not like subaru is particularly inexpensive.

heavyD
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM

So "Rail Dust" actually has nothing to do with rails? I assumed it was just rust deposited from rail cars during transport. I have never had any of my cars just develop rust spots all over them from picking up filings of metal driving around town although I guess it happens.

I didn't make my last post clear enough. Cars in fact do get rail dust in transport and usually it's cleaned off when the detailed by the dealer. The OP's marks are from driving in the winter and especially with white cars you wll see small specs that look like rust but are really on the surface of the paint such as in some of the OP's pics. People call that rail dust as well and it's usually from the blades of snow plows. I clayed a bunch off my wife's white SUV lower doors last summer and of course after the this winter there's more specs that I have to clean off. The city did a lot more snow plowing last year so this is going to become more common.

gpomp
06-24-2011, 03:05 PM
^i spent 4 hours this year claying my car after this winter, a lot longer than usual

Chester
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Update #3:
Subaru Calgary will be re-painting my trunk under warranty, finally :clap: :clap:

unkicrackie99
07-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Glad to hear they're finally willing to fix the problem.

Kennyredline
07-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Fuckin crazy....all that bullshit to get them to do something they should have gladly done right away in the first place!!

guessboi
07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
that is pretty brutal. hopefully it will be all good later.

eur0
07-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah I have not been impressed with them. Being told to my face a used car title is "clean" then running a car fax to find it was in an accident 3 years prior. Seriously?

DonJuan
07-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Update #3:

Good Job OP! Who did you hafta talk to? My friend has to go see the same person.

realazy
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by eur0
Yeah I have not been impressed with them. Being told to my face a used car title is "clean" then running a car fax to find it was in an accident 3 years prior. Seriously?

You do know that a "clean" title usually means it's still in active status and not rebuilt or salvage etc. right?

What you should've asked was if it's been in any accidents.

People sell damaged cars that have not been written off with "clean" titles.

94_S14
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
its from rail dust, the brakes from the trains give off hot shards of iron which imbed themselves into the paint, the dealers provide a factory coating and vinyl coverings to help minimize the impact but molten shards of iron will get past, the dealer is SUPPOSED to ACID wash the car once receiving it. THIS IS NOT the metal below the paint, only saying this because 5 years ago i was the one doing this.

blitz
07-29-2011, 08:48 PM
I don't think you read the whole thread.

astro_ng
07-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Great to hear that they are repainting it! You should try and see if you can get a new trunk instead. Save the headache of ensuring that the trunk/rest of the car's paint match.