PDA

View Full Version : Building a garage & putting up a fence...

Squishy
05-05-2011, 10:14 PM
So my mom and I are moving into a new house next month and we will be building our own garage, as well as having to fence the back yard.

I am looking for recommended garage builders who have decent pricing and who know what they are doing. We want a double car garage with a little bit of extension on the sides, not the limited double car garages. Also, an estimation as to how much it would be. It will be a detached garage in the back of the house.

As for the fence, does anyone know any reputable companies for this that don't charge an arm and a leg? I don't know the dimensions at this point.

Any recommendations?

TIA

InRich
05-05-2011, 10:21 PM
jesus how much do fences cost... I'm also looking for a good fence guy.

Squishy
05-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Well, hopefully we wont have to spend too much $.

sillysod
05-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Generally a 22*22 garage is going to run you around $20,000.00 The pad is about $6000, the package is around $6000 and the builder will charge you around $6000. Allow another $2000 for BS stuff. If you don't do anything in the garage and are just looking for basic heated parking a baseboard heater will keep the garage at 5c easily throughout the winter and the cost is only a couple hundred bucks. You also won't have to hire someone to run gas.

I like to work in mine so I have gas with infloor heat, but I realize that for most people (my inlaws for example) it is a complete waste of money.

Fences are retardedly easy to build if you have a level and even a little bit of patience. You can rent tools from Home Depot and get a bobcat to poke the holes -- all said and done for around $1200 a side (split it with your neighbours and its $600/side)

Typically a fence builder will charge you $120 per 8' panel, but honestly I would just do it myself. The only part you have to be careful with is making sure the posts are straight. You aren't doing it for your career so if it takes you an hour a post to get the damn thing straight then you're still saving money.

Buy the bags of concrete and rent a mixer from home depot. Follow the instructions on the bag for mixing - it is retardedly easy. Let the concrete set up a little after you have the post in (10 min or so) and level it up straight with a level. Check it every 5 min and after about 30 minutes it will set enough that it won't move.

However I will strongly encourage you to just buy regular concrete bags, do not buy "Post Haste" concrete. It IS for fence posts, but sets up very fast. If you have no experience doing this the extra 20 minutes you gain with regular mix will give you the ability to adjust things if you don't get them right.

r32skyline15
05-05-2011, 10:47 PM
on a side note i do fences..so if u buy the panels posts and concrete im sure we could work a deal out...
pm for a pic of the work i do

danno
05-05-2011, 10:57 PM
i'm wiring up a garage in the next month. let me know if you would like me to help you out.