PDA

View Full Version : Used vehicle from a dealership price

Troll-ol
05-10-2011, 09:12 AM
How much should you be able to reduce the asking price by? Let's say they want 17000 for a vehicle , how much would they take minimum?

Jeremiah
05-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Theres no rule of thumb, some vehicles have lower overhead than others.

Make an offer slightly lower than you want to pay and see what they counter offer with or throw in as extras

Xtrema
05-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Check CBB and you can usually know what the margin is.

How much lower they are willing to go is based on supply and demand. If it's rare, they probably won't budge.

Troll-ol
05-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Weird how the black book shows about 6 grand less than they sell for on kijiji...

core_upt
05-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
Weird how the black book shows about 6 grand less than they sell for on kijiji...

Makes you wonder how those people on kijiji are even able to afford a large lot and showroom, paid staff and marketing costs with margins like that.

Guillermo
05-11-2011, 08:49 AM
used car or new? i've only bought 2 cars from dealerships, and both times walked out thinking i got a pretty good deal, but after thinking about it more, I'm sure I could have saved even more. IME, these guys would bend over backwards to sell you a car... and even though they're really good at making you think they can't move on a price, they almost always can. look at comps for sale on the internet, and keep in mind those are asking (not selling prices). decide what you're willing to pay, and then make a lowball offer so your price is contered about halfway between the lowball and the asking price. if they're not willing to sell you the car at the price you want, leave and keep looking. leave your phone number so they can call you if they decide they want to sell it afterall.

of course, their price depends on what they paid for the car, how long they've had it, etc. which is why i asked if new or used.

Guillermo
05-11-2011, 08:49 AM
also, beatthecarsalesman.com

94boosted
05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Like has been said there is no rule of thumb but depending on how rare it is and how bad you want it I'd tell them 14K at which point they may laugh at you so you give them your contact info and wait for a call/counter offer. If it's a fairly common car I peronally wouldn't pay more than 15K for it.

Chances are they didn't pay much over Black Book value when they took it in on trade.

Troll-ol
05-11-2011, 09:05 AM
The car is exactly what you drive, a turbo cobalt.

heavyD
05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
I would advise on checking the origins of the car. Some dealers will pick up used vehicles from the east cheap from auctions and sell them here at our inflated market prices.

Xtrema
05-11-2011, 09:19 AM

CBB for 2009 Cobalt SS is $10-$11K. There is definitely room to move.

Guillermo
05-11-2011, 10:39 AM
also keep in mind that when taking in trades, they pay the person as little as possible for the trade-in... so if they're doing that, then trying to sell it to you over book value, they're actually making good money, AND have a lot of wiggle room.

there's a reason these car dealerships are so fucking giant, with expensive tiles everywhere and 30 mechanics working in the garage. ;)

Troll-ol
05-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

CBB for 2009 Cobalt SS is $10-$11K. There is definitely room to move. Even for a loaded one? They were a bit over 30k new. Some people on Kijiji are trying to sell them for like 20k

chkolny541
05-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Value plummets faster then a rock

94boosted
05-11-2011, 11:01 AM

While it's not exactly a super, super rare car it's far from a dime a dozen as well, I beleive final numbers put the turbo cobalt at under 5000 for all of North America. I've only seen about ~7 SS/TC's in Calgary in the two years that I've owned mine. So you can forget about what I said regarding not paying over 15K.

CBB for 2009 Cobalt SS is $10-$11K. There is definitely room to move.

CBB is $12-$14K from what I can find (http://www.canadianblackbook.com/)

That's still depressing, f**king GM's depreciating as fast as they do.

Even for a loaded one? They were a bit over 30k new. Some people on Kijiji are trying to sell them for like 20k

For 17K I'd say there is something wrong with it the cheapest I've seen them sell for in the last few months is 19-22K. Look at what CSRT-4's and to some extent Mazdaspeed 3's are selling for as they were all relatively close in price when new.

Please keep me posted on how this all pans out as I am curious on what these sell for used.

Xtrema
05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
CBB is $12-$14K from what I can find (http://www.canadianblackbook.com/)

I used the same site but set the car @ 50K w/o auto. I do see your numbers if I set the car @ 40K.

94boosted
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM

I used the same site but set the car @ 50K w/o auto. I do see your numbers if I set the car @ 40K.

Ok cool. I used numbers @ 30K (I don't drive that much lol).

Troll-ol
05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Ok cool. I used numbers @ 30K (I don't drive that much lol). How do you like your cobalt? I need something quick, reliable and cheap on gas

94boosted
05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
How do you like your cobalt? I need something quick, reliable and cheap on gas

I really like it so far. It still amazes me how quick the car is, in autocross events it eats up cars that really should be quicker than it and it really genuienly handles amazingly well. There is no FWD car sold in North America that can touch it with a 10 foot poll and it puts many RWD & AWD cars to shame aswell. Make sure you get the car with the optional LSD if your going to be doing any proper driving. As for straight line speed with the optional GMS1 or a mild Tune it's darn quick, from a dig it's a FWD so you can't expect anything there but from a roll it eats up some quick cars (335i's, MS3's, Cobb Stage 2 STi's, SRT-8's....).

When it comes to reliability the motor and transmission is quite stout, there are countless guys running 325WHP/350WTQ with just mild tunes + bolt ons without having any issues what so ever myself included. The rest is true GM quality :thumbsdow i.e. the interior will rattle, and the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't had any real problems over the two years I've owned mine.

As for gas mileage it too is quite good for a sporty car I average about 9.8L/100Km City and 7.0L/100Km Highway and that's with a fairly heavy right foot.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Troll-ol
05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm just having a problem finding them...

Troll-ol
05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Also what did you do to it to make 325whp?

94boosted
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Also what did you do to it to make 325whp?

All they need is a Downpipe, upper IC Pipes and a Tune (Trifecta or HP Tuners) set around 22-23PSi. Beauty with the Trifecta tune is that it is a stealth tune so dealerships cannot detect it with their Tech-II tools ;) And it can be toggled on/off with the push of a button.

I would also recommend doing an intake and upgraded BPV but those are not nescessary for those power levels.

There are guys pushing up to 380WHP on the stock K04 turbo and ~500WHP on upgraded turbos though at that point the transmission and stock pistons are struggling and are being replaced lol.