PDA

View Full Version : KA24det can kick Azz Too!

sxtasy
01-15-2004, 09:56 PM
"This car with the current drivetrain setup has beeen dyno'ed at 412RWH!!!!!!! and track times of 11.90 in the quarter."
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6396&item=2454108891
:eek:

calgarys13
01-15-2004, 10:14 PM
good find:thumbsup:

kevie88
01-15-2004, 10:36 PM
wow, that's nice! I like the early S14's a lot!

ICEBERG
01-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Very Sweet.. Also 11's in the 1/4 is awsome.:thumbsup: Nice find.

hjr
01-15-2004, 11:36 PM
i knew it. there is potential in the KA.

lude_conduct
01-15-2004, 11:42 PM
He did a good job, but I still don't like the front end of the 95-96 240sx. The 97-98 is much better IMO

Seanith
01-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by lude_conduct
He did a good job, but I still don't like the front end of the 95-96 240sx. The 97-98 is much better IMO

yeah the S14A front isn't as pimp as the S14B.. from far away that car looks like an r33 skyline IMO

EstoMax
01-16-2004, 01:02 AM
ka24det power baby!
but s13 rear imo looks best!

max

thich
01-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

yeah the S14A front isn't as pimp as the S14B.. from far away that car looks like an r33 skyline IMO

it's all in the eye of the beholder; i used to see it your way as well.
but the JDM headlights really make the S14A look like an R33 :D:thumbsup:

SpoonEK9@STRD
01-16-2004, 12:23 PM
zenki fronts are so much more pimp than a kouki front...
best combo... kouki chasis with zenki front.

DeathBy240
01-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

That car shown is just an S14, the S14a is the 97-98's. There is no S14b.

///M3
01-17-2004, 02:34 PM
im a sucker for gold rims:drool: they look good on any car.
and that is a beautiful car my friend:D
with beautifl power Uhh! Uhh! Uhh!

africano
01-17-2004, 02:39 PM
sure you can get power out of the KA24DE, but he prob build up the bottom end, port and polish heads, bigger cams, etc, etc.

any engine can rip it up if you mod the shit out of it. I read about a dude with a SOHC 91' civic hatch. runs 11.0 in the quater.

The point in a sr20det is better that a ka24de. not that the ka sucks and the sr rules, just the sr is better. there's still hope for the ka just like there's still hope for any engine.

Big_C_racing
02-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Beautiful car......super clean and although it is riced out, it doesn't look overdone. One of the nicest 240's i've seen.

Ben
02-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by africano
sure you can get power out of the KA24DE, but he prob build up the bottom end, port and polish heads, bigger cams, etc, etc.

any engine can rip it up if you mod the shit out of it. I read about a dude with a SOHC 91' civic hatch. runs 11.0 in the quater.

The point in a sr20det is better that a ka24de. not that the ka sucks and the sr rules, just the sr is better. there's still hope for the ka just like there's still hope for any engine.

...I've seen Sr20's with almost Double the HP of that KA...all you need is money. You can make anything possible with enough money.

sxtasy
02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Well after reading up on sr20's and ka's, i think that the ka is really underestimated. In one article I read that the KA seemed to be built "turbocharger ready".
cut and paste:
"While the fact that the KA24DE engine in the 240SX is closely related to Nissan's four-cylinder truck engine is often a complaint, that actuality does imply that the engine is strong. That implication is, in fact, true. The KA24DE is exceptionally durable, and has the internal strength to handle much more power. The KA24DE's cylinder head design -- a four-valve pentroof design with a central sparkplug -- is also very detonation resistant, making it quite suitable for forced induction even without any internal modifications or reduction of the compression ratio."
In addition the KA is not an aluminum block like the SR, KA has oil cooled pistons. I am personally planning on swapping pretty soon, but really I think the KA could kick some ass (Boost infested, get your KA-T done soon so you can prove me right
;) )

heavyD
02-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Why do people go through the hassle of turbocharging the KA engine when you can just drop in a SR20? Not that there is anything wrong with a turbocharged truck engine.

GT2NV
02-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Not that there is anything wrong with a truck engine. hahaha yeah i always used to bug my buddy about his ka in his 240:rofl:

SpoonEK9@STRD
02-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by africano

rigghttt. turbo ka's pimp it, newb.

SpoonEK9@STRD
02-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Why do people go through the hassle of turbocharging the KA engine when you can just drop in a SR20? Not that there is anything wrong with a turbocharged truck engine.

yeah becuase ka24de is a truck engine. whats with mitsu owners posting... DSM yeaaahh

habsfan
02-11-2004, 05:32 PM
the KA is a very stout engine from the factory, BUT although it does have piston cooling oil squirters, forged internals and nice think mains, the 11.5:1 (i believe) compression ratio limits safe operation to about 6-8psi of boost. plus i think KA's have a pretty long stroke, but i'm not positive...

DeathBy240
02-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Heres another awesome KA-T
http://www.fastandfuriouseast.com/galleries/kylebennet240sx/bennetts240sx26.jpg (http://www.fastandfuriouseast.com/galleries/kylebennet240sx/default_sub1.php)

510wagon
09-08-2004, 11:54 AM

son of a monkey lover, why do people always post ignorant crap like this? i've got a better question than "why would any one turbo a KA when they could just swap in an SR?". how about why would anyone swap in an SR when they could just turbo the KA. sure, a turbo kit will run you close to $4K, but an SR swap will come out to more than that when you figure that you have to buy the clip, have said clip shipped, pull the KA, pull the SR from its clip, and then install the SR into your car. not only that, but for the $5K+ that you just spent on the SR swap you now have 200-220hp to the crank, or about 170-190hp to the wheels (assuming you used an S13 or S14 SR, since the 250hp S15 SR will probably cost over $5K to begin with). for the $4K you could have spent turbocharging your KA you will end up with about 200-215hp to the wheels, or ~250hp to the crank and the hardware to support much more (T04E capable of 450+hp, FMIC, 2.5-3" piping, etc.). on top of that, with minor tuning (ECU, injectors, exh., etc.) the wheel hp can easily top the 250hp mark. to get 250 wheel hp with your SR you'll need a big FMIC w/ piping, down pipe, exhaust, ECU tuning, a boost controller, and if you want this power to last more than a few thousand miles, a new turbo. with these mods you're approaching the $10K mark real quick, and that's just to catch up to the $4K KA-T with $1-2K in mods. i don't want to hear any whining about "waahh, the KA's not meant to be turbo'd so its internals are too weak". it has forged pistons and rods and a forged steel counterweighted crank. i've heard of KA's with stock internals hold upwards of 350hp. if that's not enough, you can have it rebuilt with nearly indestructible internals with the thousands of dollars you saved by not jumping on the SR/JDM bandwagon. besides, with the KA-T you will have 400cc more displacement, so not only will you have a lot more torque than an SR, but any given turbo will spool up considerably quicker, meaning you can also use a bigger turbo and have similar spool-up with more hp. the only (minor) drawback to the KA setup is the ~50lb extra weight, which you won't feel, i assure you. ever heard anyone gripe about how there 240 now handles like crap since putting in an RB25? yeah, didn't think so. and those weight about 85lb more than even a KA-T. and if you are paranoid and must lose that weight, a silvia front end or carbon fiber hood will shed those pound easily. so if you have any good reason why someone should swap to an SR (besides lacking the ability to think for themselves and just following the stupid "JDM" craze like a lemming to the sea) please post with that reason and explanation thereof.

p.s.- KA24E's have 8.9:1 compression. KA24DE's have 9.6:1 compression. no stock KA has ever had 11.5:1 compression. even integra type R's only have 11.1:1. and the KA24 was designed as a workhorse, not a factory race engine like the type R.

DonJuan
09-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Easy 510 easy.... your preachin' to the choir on this one HeavyD is one of those people on here who has an opinion about everything thankfully we havnt been hearing much out of him because he in his infinite itellect and wisdom overboosted his DSM. So all you have to do is buy a bus pass and your faster than him.
On a different note I agree that the KAT swap is better for Street 240's on a budget. Lots of people have turned their KA's into 300hp cars with 8psi. But for pure track use the SR is the better option SR with is slightly lighter weight, HUGE aftermarket support means that it has greater potential, as long as you have great potential in your wallet.

Zephyr
09-10-2004, 01:33 PM
plus if you live in california like me, a KAT is not only smart, it's legal (if you go with greddy). SR20 no matter if you get them smogged here and registered, it's still illegal which is more of a hassel since cops here pull anything slightly modified over for a check up.

Ben
09-10-2004, 04:14 PM
I love it when people surf in off google just to write a rant about something they disagree with in a thread that is ancient.

1badPT
09-10-2004, 04:56 PM
^^LOL Spend some time at the nissanforums and you'll understand the mindset that drives a person to do that - wow I've never seen such a collection of assholes as I did there. (I dunno about the rest of the forum but the 240SX section at least).

I'm looking at doing a 240 up as a project and I'm leaning more towards a KA-T than an SR swap. But then I again, I'm more of a fan of low end torque over sick high revs. I hear the Greddy kit gives you a nice flat torque curve too. The SR in stock form is alright but the cooling system can't keep up when you turn up the boost apparently.

habsfan
09-10-2004, 05:30 PM
^ tis true, SR20's need cooling help if you intend to run em hard(how else would you run it ;) )

ex1z7
09-11-2004, 09:45 PM
*ponders* Wonder how much it would cost to ship a KA24 240sx over to australia? :devil: I always liked the KA.. plus silvia / 180sx's here are 10k + >_< hardly in my budget at this point :)

You could get a turbo kit for under 4k . . . theres alot of hope for KA's - iron all the way :D