PDA

View Full Version : OEM Lemon buy backs - your thoughts?

artieg30
05-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on US vehicles with a OEM buy back status? The car I was looking at was originally imported from the states from the manufacturer as a lemon/ buy back vehicle.

The model i was looking at was a 2009 335i, and it was for a common issue like the fuel pump going bad (i've heard its very common for 335i's).

So, my question is would you guys think it's worthwhile to even consider this vehicle or should i just ignore it? It also comes with a factory warranty good until 2013 so do you think that would be adequate protection for my side? Thanks!

Everlast
05-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't consider it unless you're getting a huge discount...

artieg30
05-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Everlast
I wouldn't consider it unless you're getting a huge discount...

close to $8000 in savings compared to a canadian model here with similar milage...

kvg
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't touch it! Do you have any idea how bad the car would have to be to be bought back? I met a guy who went through 3 sets of turbos plus more in 80k on a 335 and its not considered a "lemon"! I have 2 friends with VW's and have had 10's of thousands of dollars in warranty work each on their cars and their not considered "lemons"

ITS A VERY BAD IDEA!

sputnik
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't touch it.

OEM buybacks are cars that were bought back because the local dealer gave up trying to fix it or avoided fixing the major issue while it was still under warranty.

Usually it would be something like a clutch that keeps blowing every 10000 km and the dealer would just replace the clutch every time instead of actually figuring out what the real problem is.

adidas
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by kvg
I wouldn't touch it! Do you have any idea how bad the car would have to be to be bought back? I met a guy who went through 3 sets of turbos plus more in 80k on a 335 and its not considered a "lemon"! I have 2 friends with VW's and have had 10's of thousands of dollars in warranty work each on their cars and their not considered "lemons"

ITS A VERY BAD IDEA!

A lemon here and a lemon in the US are 2 diff stories.

They usually buy back a lemon in the US for the smallest problem. Here ur car can go through 10 engines and it still wouldnt be considered a lemon.

Kg810
05-12-2011, 01:51 PM
lol go for it. If Canada had a lemon law, all models with the N54 and N55 engine would be conisdered lemons.

There was recently (last month) a recall issued in Canada, so if anything you'll be covered if you buy a US car since you'll get warranty coverage here.

- http://www.importcartocanada.info/tools/warranty-coverage-check/

corsvette
05-12-2011, 02:35 PM
My cousin had a 2009 Tundra that Toyota bought back under the lemon law in Washington State. He had tons of issues both major and minor, but the final straw was a driveline vibration that Toyota just could not seem to fix for longer than a week. The Distric Service Manager said the truck will get sent to the auction where a non-franchised dealer may buy it, the remainder of factory warranty was void at that point. I would be careful, but sometimes all the problems are worked out by the time they hit Lemon status and you will have a great car at a discount.

jonnycat
05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I think the Magnusson Moss Warranty act in regards to vehicles, is that a vehicle needs to be brought in at least 3 seperate times for the same issue before the lemon law can be initiated.