PDA

View Full Version : Question about "filtering"

Vagabond142
05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Firstly, allow me to state that I know that it is illegal to filter between lanes (ie a two lane roadway, I can't go down the middle between the rows of cars). However, and why I put the word in the title in quotes, there is a bit of a situation I saw today that makes me scratch my head about passing cars in the right hand lane on their right side.

I was riding today and I did stop behind a police car at the 19th St/16th Ave NW intersection. We were both in the right hand lane. Dude on a proper commuter bike (I ride a touring mountain bike) zips by both of us on the right side, between car and curb. The cop looked DIRECTLY at him as he went past, did absolutely nothing. Cyclist got to the front of the queue and waited with foot on the curb, then continued across when our light went green.

So, the question is... is "filtering" on the right of vehicles queued at an intersection allowable?

swak
05-12-2011, 07:41 PM
When in gridlocked traffic, i "filter" all the time.
It is perfectly legal, and is an advantage cyclists have on the road (simply put).
I have filtered past cop cars as well, with no reaction from them, on foot and in cars. I have however gotten comments from people who aren't cops who think they know the rules of the road more than anyone. But thats all.

*Start the Hate*

Khyron
05-12-2011, 11:27 PM
I try and avoid hate - ie, I won't cut to the front on a road where I'll just get in the way of the people who just finished passing me already. But along the zoo road or any side road, every time. Even roads like 42nd at blackfoot I'd cut to the front so I can hang out on the curb.

It will be a cold day in hell before I sit in gridlock on a bicycle.

core_upt
05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Quite a few cities that have adapted more to cycling encourage filtering and actually set aside a place at the front of the intersection for cyclists to advance passed queued up traffic.
Calgary (of course) doesn't, but hope fully it comes. Until then, filter away, and get your place on the road.

93VR6
05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Why can bicycles filter but not motorbikes?

Is there a difference between them when riding on main roadways?

Adrenaline101
05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Speed, weight, general ignorance of the rider?
I love the guys on motorbikes the drive down the deerfoot in the 3 feet gap by the center divider.

93VR6
05-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I meant the legal differences, not your opinion of them.

I'm not one of the guys who does cut to the front of the que but I am wondering why bicycles are allowed to.

Adrenaline101
05-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Because they are not a motor vehicle. In a simplified explanation it is basically another form of "walking". Now adays alot of places have made it illegal to bike on the sidewalk where there are designated bike paths/lanes. So the concept is the same, just moved to the road.

LONDAR
05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
Because they are not a motor vehicle. In a simplified explanation it is basically another form of "walking". Now adays alot of places have made it illegal to bike on the sidewalk where there are designated bike paths/lanes. So the concept is the same, just moved to the road.

actually in the eyes of the law a pedal powered bicycle is a vehicle and has NO right on the sidewalk. it has every right as a car, including space in a lane, and therefore must follow the same rules as a car.

now there are a lot of things that the police will turn a blind eye to, such as bicycles riding on the shoulder so as not to take up space as they are slower, and things like filtering, but if push ever came to shove a bicycle and a car are int he same boat in front of the law.

swak
05-23-2011, 11:18 PM
So wait... Are you saying that as a cyclist, I should ride in the LH wheelspot in the RH lane like a motorcycle should, as a bicycle is a vehicle? VS. Riding in the shoulder like all cyclists do?

Cyclists have the rights as a motor vehicle, and ARE allowed to filter, and ride in the shoulder.

Type_S1
05-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Is it legal for cyclist's to hold up a line of traffic because they are slow moving and won't move over?

ExtraSlow
05-24-2011, 06:22 AM
I'm not a cyclist, but this issue interests me as well.
I always thought that a bicycle was considered a vehicle, and as such, could not pass another vehicle without moving to another lane. I know cops don't ticket for this, but I think that's a matter of choice, not an interpretation of the law.

Anyone have a link to the actual LAW on this?

The worst is guys who ride up the centre street hill in the afternoons. Going about 20 km/h in the right lane, buses stacking up behind them. I'm on that bus.

chkolny541
05-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Is it legal for cyclist's to hold up a line of traffic because they are slow moving and won't move over?

yes, it is completely, This has been covered MANY times before, they are SUPPOSED to ride on the road and as such are entitled to the lane as any other car is

swak
05-24-2011, 07:58 AM
As a cyclist, I even think its a dick move to hold up traffic, so whenever possible, I try and not do this as much as possible UNLESS by doing so, I'm sacrificing my personal safety.

...Sorry Calgary traffic, but my life is more important than the 2 seconds I'm taking away from you on your commute, possibly holding you back.