PDA

View Full Version : Clip In Pedals for mountain bike

dimi
05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I will be using these in the city and mostly mountain trails on my hardtail mountain bike. Shouldn't get too extreme though.

I really like those crankbrother ones due to the weight but they don't seem like they'll take a crash. Shimanos are nice too.

What kind of clip ins do you guys have? What about shoes to complement them?

98type_r
05-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I've only every used shimano's, haven't had a reason to switch.
The crank brothers should hold up just fine, I've heard they can be a little harder to clip into if these are going to be your first pedals being that there's no platform.

bigboom
05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
i use crank brothers on my commuters and mountain bikes and have never had an issue with them. you will have way less issues with them when it gets muddy as well.

the one caveat is if youre a bigger dude dont do the eggbeaters...do the candys.

seer_claw
05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I've got the egg beaters on my mountain bike and I love them. 4 sides to clip in on and they shed mud really easily. I've bashed them against lots of rocks and they are still in great shape.

I've got the Candy SL's on my commuter and they are good for hopping on without the correct shoes but I prefer the egg beaters if I'm riding off road.

dimi
05-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Have you guys read some of the reviews on the eggbeaters or most other CB pedals? They aren't positive. The springs tend to wear out, sometimes they snap off. At least that's what a lot of people claim. And while they do look damn cool, I'm mostly going for reliability. Last thing I want is a pedal seizing on me in the woods.

Hence I'm leaning towards the XTRs.

bspot
05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Eggbeaters don't have adjustable tension, correct? I really like being able to put my pedals super loose for commuting (if you get cut off by a car/another bike/a dog/a little kid it's nice to be able to pop out in a hurry) and then you can tighten them when you have some serious climbing to do.

seer_claw
05-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Eggbeaters don't have adjustable tension, correct? I really like being able to put my pedals super loose for commuting (if you get cut off by a car/another bike/a dog/a little kid it's nice to be able to pop out in a hurry) and then you can tighten them when you have some serious climbing to do.

It is the one minor problem that I do have with them, the lack of tension adjustment. ALthough if you rotate the clips on your shoes they clip out at different angles.

Also, I'm 260lbs and I haven't had any problems with my egg beaters.

bigboom
05-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Have you guys read some of the reviews on the eggbeaters or most other CB pedals? They aren't positive. The springs tend to wear out, sometimes they snap off. At least that's what a lot of people claim. And while they do look damn cool, I'm mostly going for reliability. Last thing I want is a pedal seizing on me in the woods.

i have 3 pairs of candys. one of them i have had for 6 years, through 3 winters and have not had to rebuild them yet.

redline
05-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Time Pedals are the only way to go :)

98type_r
05-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by dimi

In all the years I've been riding I've never heard of anybody I know who has had a pedal seize on them on the trail, Crankbrothers or otherwise.
That being said, I've been running the XTR's on my mtn bike and various other levels of the Shimano's on my commuter and other bikes without a problem ever.

zipdoa
05-14-2011, 04:35 PM
XTR's maximize mud-shedding with teflon coatings on the pedal 'jaws'.

flipstah
05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
BUMP.

I'm going to clip on this year and this will be my first time doing so. Is it generally safe to clip in when mountain biking? Do I have to buy a specific set of shoes with it or are there slip-ons to add cleats on existing shoes?

Also, do you have recommendations on what to get as a 'beginner' set?

phreezee
05-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I'd suggest some SPDs and adjust the tension to the minimum. Your pedals will come with cleats so if you already have shoes, you are good to go.

flipstah
05-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
I'd suggest some SPDs and adjust the tension to the minimum. Your pedals will come with cleats so if you already have shoes, you are good to go.

Sweet. Thanks for the tips! I'll head on over to MEC this upcoming Friday and check out the offerings. These are the ones I've been eyeing at so far:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Pedals/Road/Pedals/PRD~5006-774/shimano-pd-m520-spd-pedal.jsp?pdtTab=3

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Pedals/Road/Pedals/PRD~5007-899/wellgo-wpd-95b-halfhalf-pedals.jsp

swak
05-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
XTR's maximize mud-shedding with teflon coatings on the pedal 'jaws'.

Fluoride Coating :thumbsup:

Another +1 for Shimano pedals though!
Strongest/most durable setup you can buy. Ive never ridden anything else mind you, but from what i've seen, i wouldn't steer away from whats good (Shimano)

flipstah
05-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by swak

Fluoride Coating :thumbsup:

Another +1 for Shimano pedals though!
Strongest/most durable setup you can buy. Ive never ridden anything else mind you, but from what i've seen, i wouldn't steer away from whats good (Shimano)

Looks like Shimano is getting my money this Friday lol.

So how do the cleats work on regular shoes? Do you screw them in so it's permanent or is there an elastic deal going on?...

lilmira
05-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't think you can install cleats onto regular shoes. There is a plate at the bottom of cycling shoe for the cleat to mount onto. Some cycling shoes have a "recessed pocket" for the cleats so they'll be a bit easier to walk on. Go try them out at the store.

I have the Shimano one similar to the Wellgo. Single-sided, I can ride un-clipped if I choose to. The Wellgo one is probably a better deal for half the price.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+bikecomponents+PD+PD-M324_600x450_v1_m56577569830637302_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

swak
05-19-2012, 02:19 PM
^^ Solid choice!
Stay away from the shitty wellgo clipless pedals..... Unsealed Bearings = No Sex :cry:

Google: "Shimano Cleat" and you'll be able to see what a cleat looks like and what it looks like on a shoe.
Road = big rad triangle
MTN = Small metal thing

flipstah
05-19-2012, 02:44 PM
^^ Solid choice!
Stay away from the shitty wellgo clipless pedals..... Unsealed Bearings = No Sex :cry:

Google: "Shimano Cleat" and you'll be able to see what a cleat looks like and what it looks like on a shoe.
Road = big rad triangle
MTN = Small metal thing

Oh, I see. Looks like I'll have to pay a pair of kicks too.

MEC it is; BowCycle is too far.

lilmira
05-19-2012, 03:29 PM
^^ Solid choice!

Didn't know. I was going to buy the Wellgo one but they didn't have them in stock. Now I don't feel bad about paying for the Shimano :) .

swak
05-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Didn't know. I was going to buy the Wellgo one but they didn't have them in stock. Now I don't feel bad about paying for the Shimano :) .

Don't get me wrong, wellgo does make some decent pedals (the V-Sixty's are sick - also $80 and sealed).

But the cheaper clipless wellgo's are a margin of the cost of shimano's for a reason, cant really get service parts for them, and unsealed bearings (with the exception of some shimano wheels (D/Ace and Ultegra, 105, etc..) sealed bearings will last you a good couple seasons with normal wear and tear where a sealed unit will last you forever. The pedals on my commuter are sealed BMX pedals i bought back in 2008 when i rode bmx, and now they're beat to shit etc... but have zero hiccups. I have never done anything but lube the threads to them too haha.