PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 Winnipeg Jets Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Speed_RaSiR
05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
http://otonly.com/x0411/jets-meter.jpg

sputnik
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Get your Coyotes seasons tickets now the the City of Glendale taxpayers are covering another NHL season?

Dren
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
hmm, until i get something official its hard to go by a meter from TSN!

But i hope they get a team !

sputnik
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Dren
hmm, until i get something official its hard to go by a meter from TSN!

But i hope they get a team !

The majority of the rumours surround the likelihood of the Atlanta Thrashers being moved to Winnipeg for next season.

Not only are the rumours regarding the NHL, the Atlanta ownership group and the potential owners in Winnipeg, but also the announcement of a few major hotel/restaurant/commercial developments around the MTS Centre.

n1zm0
05-13-2011, 11:31 AM
i know teams will always goto whatever city because of the investors but when you see some of the hockey games in these south-eastern US states, the attendance is pitiful, so many empty seats even during early playoff games if the team makes it.

bring that stuff up to almost any CDN city that doesnt already have a team, it would be packed everynight i bet regardless of W:L ratio

D'z Nutz
05-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Until I see something from the NHL that says explicitly that a team is going to Winnipeg, I'm chalking this up to media hype. Don't get me wrong, I hope Winnipeg gets a team, but I don't think the league has ever made any clear indications that it was in the plans.

Dren
05-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

The majority of the rumours surround the likelihood of the Atlanta Thrashers being moved to Winnipeg for next season.

Not only are the rumours regarding the NHL, the Atlanta ownership group and the potential owners in Winnipeg, but also the announcement of a few major hotel/restaurant/commercial developments around the MTS Centre.

True...but still how would these developments around the MTS centre know "more" than the rest of the world?

sputnik
05-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Until I see something from the NHL that says explicitly that a team is going to Winnipeg, I'm chalking this up to media hype. Don't get me wrong, I hope Winnipeg gets a team, but I don't think the league has ever made any clear indications that it was in the plans.

The league (and ownership groups) will say nothing until the deal is done. Why would they go out an jump the gun announcing something that isn't done yet?

Bill Daly was recently interviewed by an Atlanta newspaper and he certainly didn't speak too confidently about the Thrashers playing in Atlanta next year and he also dodged a bunch of questions.

There is definitely more than just media hype here and I have a feeling there will be an announcement before the end of June.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/05/12/will-nhl-abandon-thrashers-atlanta-after-rescuing-others/

sputnik
05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
True...but still how would these developments around the MTS centre know "more" than the rest of the world?

One of the developments (boutique hotel and commercial block) is being proposed by a firm (Longboat Development Corp) that is owned partially by David Thomson.

David Thomson (Canada's richest man) is one of the major investors of True North Sports Entertainment who owns the MTS Centre, Manitoba Moose and potentially a new NHL franchise.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/deal-near-for-high-profile-downtown-complex-121764919.html

BokCh0y
05-13-2011, 12:12 PM
There will never be another Canadian team in the NHL. As much as I'd to see Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Toronto have a 2nd team similar to NY, there will never be another Canadian team in the NHL.

Reason? Goddamn Gary Bettman. That's the fucking reason.

2007 - Jim Basillie tries to move Preds to Hamilton. Plan killed off.
2010 - Jim Basillie tries to move Coyotes to Hamilton. Plan killed off.

Even in 95 and 96 when Quebec and Winnipeg were in financial trouble with their teams, Bettman did nothing to help them keep the teams where they are. Instead he would much rather prefer to move and implement teams where there is no fan base and no snow. He'd rather throw NHL money into Phoenix and watch them fail then sell them to Basillie for 212.5 million and move them to Hamilton.

Atlanta had an NHL team before, Atlanta Flames. Goddamn team didn't do well the first time and was moved to Calgary. Still, he'd rather toss another team into Atlanta jsut to watch them fail...again.

Until Bettman dies and leaves the NHL, i'll never believe any speculatin of another possible Canadian NHL team.

95teetee
05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Until Bettman dies ahhhh...

...a guy can dream, can't he?

edit- I mean about Bettman dying, not about a team coming to Canada-you're spot-on about that.

sputnik
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Balsillie is an idiot. He went in under the NHL and tried to forcibly take over the team without even consulting the league.

He had press conferences, got architects to redesign the Copps Coliseum and tried selling seasons tickets before he even had the blessing from the NHL team to buy (nevermind move) the team.

David Thomson and Mark Chipman have been working with the NHL the entire time and haven't said a word publicly. However the NHL had indicated their involvement in the process and have said that Winnipeg is a suitable city for an NHL team. That said, neither will confirm that anything is currently pending for next season. That really is to be expected, all corporate takeovers are quiet until the day everything is official.

Until Bettman dies and leaves the NHL, i'll never believe any speculatin of another possible Canadian NHL team.

Bettman isn't against another Canadian team. He is still just holding onto his dream of the NHL in the US being a huge market for TV viewers and advertising. Another team in Canada doesn't gain the NHL anymore money for the league in terms of sponsorship or broadcast rights cash.

flipstah
05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Does Winnipeg have enough to support a team nowdays? :dunno:

sputnik
05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

:facepalm:

Probably not. I hear billionaires like David Thomson just like spending $200+ million on a hockey team because they get bored of making money and want to lose a bit for a decade or two.

flipstah
05-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Probably not. I hear billionaires like David Thomson just like spending $200+ million on a hockey team because they get bored of making money and want to lose a bit for a decade or two.

http://seemslegit.com/_images/b992add6d82de6e18fd09c83969f40e0/283%252525252520-%252525252520fry%252525252520futurama%252525252520oh.jpg

Dren
05-13-2011, 03:06 PM

I would say it does. Its a slowly growing city. but things there don't go down when there is a recession like the rest of the country.

Team_Mclaren
05-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Tons of billionaires bought a team and ended up losing money.... why did you think the teams are for sale?:facepalm:

Jlude
05-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Nothing is concrete... but my roommate grew up with someone who's married into the Chipman family and we were out having drinks this week (in Winnipeg), he said the deals been in the works for months, as they expected Phoenix to stay another year, but the media has always been hyping the coyotes/jets saga.

There will never be another Canadian team in the NHL. As much as I'd to see Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Toronto have a 2nd team similar to NY, there will never be another Canadian team in the NHL.

Even in 95 and 96 when Quebec and Winnipeg were in financial trouble with their teams, Bettman did nothing to help them keep the teams where they are. Instead he would much rather prefer to move and implement teams where there is no fan base and no snow. He'd rather throw NHL money into Phoenix and watch them fail then sell them to Basillie for 212.5 million and move them to Hamilton.

Atlanta had an NHL team before, Atlanta Flames. Goddamn team didn't do well the first time and was moved to Calgary. Still, he'd rather toss another team into Atlanta jsut to watch them fail...again.

Yes, there will be another team Canadian team in the NHL, you're exaggerating to get your point across, which I agree is, Bettman is the problem. I'm pretty sure there's a price on his head here in Winnipeg. :rofl:

Bettman is trying to turn the NHL into a league like the NFL or MLB, but the US markets just don't support hockey, they never have and likely won't for a long time. It's a different culture in the southern states.

Balsillie is an idiot. He went in under the NHL and tried to forcibly take over the team without even consulting the league.

He had press conferences, got architects to redesign the Copps Coliseum and tried selling seasons tickets before he even had the blessing from the NHL team to buy (nevermind move) the team.

David Thomson and Mark Chipman have been working with the NHL the entire time and haven't said a word publicly. However the NHL had indicated their involvement in the process and have said that Winnipeg is a suitable city for an NHL team. That said, neither will confirm that anything is currently pending for next season. That really is to be expected, all corporate takeovers are quiet until the day everything is official.

Bettman isn't against another Canadian team. He is still just holding onto his dream of the NHL in the US being a huge market for TV viewers and advertising. Another team in Canada doesn't gain the NHL anymore money for the league in terms of sponsorship or broadcast rights cash.

Yes, J.B. went about it all wrong. I don't know what he was thinking, probably that since he's a billionaire that he can power his way into the NHL, well he's fucked himself for as long as Bettman is commissioner and probably for life, because he's pissed off all the owners. Not one of them voted in favor of him buying a team, because they all stick together like a gang.

The word is the NHL wants 3 year commitments on season tickets. When they give the word, I'll be one of the ones fighting to get the best seats I can.

Yes, Winnipeg has 700k people, but it doesn't have 1/4 of the amenities/business/attractions that a city like Calgary has. Still... there's gonna be a lot of support for the team.

CUG
05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I'd actually cheer for them.

Dren
05-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Yes, Winnipeg has 700k people, but it doesn't have 1/4 of the amenities/business/attractions that a city like Calgary has. Still... there's gonna be a lot of support for the team.

Winnipeg has tons to do in the summer time. With the excellent beachs, and cottage country which Calgary doesn't have. as well the weather is much better,a nd the close distance to the us border many people do that during the summer as well.
But during the winters there isn't much to do, therefore people will be willing to support a NHL team.

littledan
05-13-2011, 04:44 PM
you have to ask yourself though... if you played in the NHL... i'm sure winnipeg would be the last on the list of places you would want to play. i mean., when i visited there, the ratio of DIs to normal people was ridiculous.

Jeremiah
05-13-2011, 04:50 PM
DI = Drunk Indians?

TeamBestBud
05-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
DI = Drunk Indians?

:rofl:

I didn't even ask just interpreted it as such.

HiTempguy1
05-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud

:rofl:

I didn't even ask just interpreted it as such.

I've never seen the term before, and I picked up on it instantly :rofl:

dirtsniffer
05-13-2011, 06:24 PM
haha word... the peg already fucked up having a team. it should go to hamilton

D'z Nutz
05-13-2011, 08:53 PM

You forgot the Penguins in 2006.

Basillie tried to get an NHL team by going through the backdoor and pulling the rug under the league. He did himself no favours by doing that and pissed off all the other team owners. Did he really think he could get a team that way? I think he shot himself in the foot by being a cowboy, cause nobody (from the league) is gonna want to deal with him.

With teams like Phoenix and Atlanta struggling in their markets, I could see a team another team (or two) in the upcoming years, but only when the NHL has no other options. If I'm not mistaken, there was a bigger push to keep a team in Phoenix because it's a big TV market and the NHL just signed that 10 year deal with NBC. Even though there are talks about the Thrashers possibly being relocated to Winnipeg, I'd much prefer the Coyotes for historic reasons. I don't think they could rename the Thrashers "The Jets" without it feeling weird.

They'd probably do better financially in Winnipeg than in Phoenix.

Originally posted by CUG
I'd actually cheer for them.

I think most of Canada on the whole would cheer for them just because there's been so much emphasis on trying to get another Canadian team for so long.

Originally posted by littledan
you have to ask yourself though... if you played in the NHL... i'm sure winnipeg would be the last on the list of places you would want to play. i mean., when i visited there, the ratio of DIs to normal people was ridiculous.

Haha there's more than a few Coyotes players that said they wouldn't go to Winnipeg if the team relocated there. Bryzgalov was one of them, and I believe Doan also said the same thing to name a couple.

Jlude
05-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Winnipeg has tons to do in the summer time. With the excellent beachs, and cottage country which Calgary doesn't have. as well the weather is much better,a nd the close distance to the us border many people do that during the summer as well.
But during the winters there isn't much to do, therefore people will be willing to support a NHL team.

Tons to do in the summer? Are you drunk... I guess IF you like driving an hour and a half to go to an overcrowded beach or you know or yourself own a cottage on or near the water, then yes, there are things to do. Close distance to the border? You wanna go chill in Fargo? I've been in Winnipeg for over two years now, I've given the city every chance, it's shit... seriously. No NHLer is going to wanna play here and who can blame them.

Originally posted by littledan

I'm pretty sure I'd rather live in any other NHL city than Winnipeg.

Team_Mclaren
05-14-2011, 03:56 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd rather live in any other NHL city than Winnipeg.

QFT, at least Edmonton wont be the shittest then:rofl:

TheRealTimHorton
05-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Why is the city life for an NHLer such a big deal? I wouldn't think those guys get much of a life outside of hockey anyways. 82 Games / season, practices, training, road trips.

I think the "I don't like the city" argument is a cop out.

In my opinion the people make the place.. And winnipeg has probably the coolest people in Canada (that I've been too). Very outgoing and sociable, friendly, inviting. It's not Calgary where everyone hates everyone.

In the winter though I agree Winnipeg would be a huge drag. Nothing but wicked snowstorms and closed down highways.

TorqueDog
05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Tons to do in the summer? Are you drunk... I guess IF you like driving an hour and a half to go to an overcrowded beach or you know or yourself own a cottage on or near the water, then yes, there are things to do. Close distance to the border? You wanna go chill in Fargo? I've been in Winnipeg for over two years now, I've given the city every chance, it's shit... seriously. No NHLer is going to wanna play here and who can blame them. Assiniboine Park and Kildonan Park were two of my favourite places in the summer in Winnipeg. Tons of chicks, and lots of enthusiast cars. It was awesome. I wish Calgary had something similar. Saturday and Sunday afternoons, the park was the place to go. Loved it.

Despite all the things that I dislike about Winnipeg, those two places produce the bulk of the otherwise rare fond memories I have of that place.

Dren
05-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Eric Francis, Calgary Sun

First posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:03:29 EDT AM

With no more than three weeks left before a decision has to be made on the fate of the Atlanta Thrashers, a source close to the situation said Saturday he believes the “chances are good” the Thrashers will relocate to Winnipeg.

The schedule-makers can wait until no later than the first week of June before the NHL needs to know where the franchise will play during the 2011/12 season.

Staff with the Atlanta Spirit and True North Sports and Entertainment in Winnipeg have been told not to comment after NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said earlier this week he couldn’t guarantee the Thrashers would be in Atlanta next year.

While the league is being criticized by some for not trying hard enough to keep the team in Atlanta, the fact is the situation is different than in Phoenix, where the club is owned by the league and lawsuits are involved.

There simply appears to be no interest in anyone keeping the poorly-run team in the eighth-ranked U.S. TV market. The question now is whether the league has finally granted Thrashers owners permission to deal with True North.

You bet they will, if they haven’t already.

A True North representative declined comment Saturday.

The relocation fee would be US$60 million on top of the sale price, making it palatable to the other owners.

If they do move, there will not be time for the divisional re-alignment the Detroit Red Wings have been pushing for for years due to travel, cost and media concerns. here isn’t enough time for the board of governors to vote on it, although it’s almost certain the Wings would be back in the Eastern Conference the following year.

Kavy
05-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton
Why is the city life for an NHLer such a big deal? I wouldn't think those guys get much of a life outside of hockey anyways. 82 Games / season, practices, training, road trips.

I think the "I don't like the city" argument is a cop out.

Oddly enough some NHLers have wives and kids even. I know it may be unheard of but im sure there is a few out there.

God forbid that these overpaid, lazy, cop out players want their families to live and grow up in an area that can offer great schools and a great environment.

I am sure there is tones of NHL wives that are begging to shop for dream catchers and moccasins, buy smokes by the bag and as a special treat grab a bite to eat at a gas station or Casino.

Hakkola
05-15-2011, 02:34 AM
Yeah, Pronger left Edmonton because of his wife, quite a few NHL wives are the type that want to live in places like N.Y to spend their money.

Jlude
05-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Assiniboine Park and Kildonan Park were two of my favourite places in the summer in Winnipeg. Tons of chicks, and lots of enthusiast cars. It was awesome. I wish Calgary had something similar. Saturday and Sunday afternoons, the park was the place to go. Loved it.

Despite all the things that I dislike about Winnipeg, those two places produce the bulk of the otherwise rare fond memories I have of that place.

For sure, not saying there aren't bright spots of Winnipeg. Hey, the weather is actually really great in the summer, very sunny and mosquitos aren't as bad as they have been in past years. For a city of 700k, Winnipeg has the appeal/amenities and feel of a city with 350k

Originally posted by Kavy

Oddly enough some NHLers have wives and kids even. I know it may be unheard of but im sure there is a few out there.

God forbid that these overpaid, lazy, cop out players want their families to live and grow up in an area that can offer great schools and a great environment.

I am sure there is tones of NHL wives that are begging to shop for dream catchers and moccasins, buy smokes by the bag and as a special treat grab a bite to eat at a gas station or Casino.

Even I don't plan on raising kids in Winnipeg. Sure, Winnipeg isn't ALL bad, but it's not my first choice of places to live and CERTAINLY not a place I would want to raise kids.

All this being said, I'm still pumped to get a team and if I can get my hands on some ballin' season tickets, It'll definitely make this city a little better.

Stealth22
05-15-2011, 05:02 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens in Phoenix if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg. If Winnipeg gets the Thrashers for the upcoming season, you can bet that Hamilton and Quebec City will be interested in the Coyotes.

But if there's not enough time for a re-alignment, would the Winnipeg Jets/Thrashers be a part of the Eastern Conference for a year before the NHL BoG starts to get the ball rolling on a re-alignment?

gofastmerc
05-15-2011, 10:58 PM
I heard (radio) that when Winnipeg does get a team, they will NOT name them the Jets. Might not even be the Winnipeg anything... Manitoba whatevers..

As a long time Jets fan, I would burn all my Flames stuff and get new Jets gear the day they confirm the team is coming back. Name them the Manitoba Moose, or whatever, and I'm just going to keep my old Jets stuff, and cheer the Flames on.

Jlude
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22
It'll be interesting to see what happens in Phoenix if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg. If Winnipeg gets the Thrashers for the upcoming season, you can bet that Hamilton and Quebec City will be interested in the Coyotes.

But if there's not enough time for a re-alignment, would the Winnipeg Jets/Thrashers be a part of the Eastern Conference for a year before the NHL BoG starts to get the ball rolling on a re-alignment?

Quebec City will get a team long before Hamilton does. No one in their right mind wants to put a team in Hamilton and have to deal with infringing on the Leafs market and the costs involved with doing so...

Originally posted by gofastmerc
I heard (radio) that when Winnipeg does get a team, they will NOT name them the Jets. Might not even be the Winnipeg anything... Manitoba whatevers..

As a long time Jets fan, I would burn all my Flames stuff and get new Jets gear the day they confirm the team is coming back. Name them the Manitoba Moose, or whatever, and I'm just going to keep my old Jets stuff, and cheer the Flames on.

I have no problem with them not being called the Jets - I think it's a new team, new era, start out fresh. However, calling them the Manitoba Moose is stupid... calling them Manitoba anything is stupid.

They're not the British Columbia Canucks, etc. Winnipeg is the largest (and only city of relevance) in Manitoba. The American barely know where Winnipeg is, Manitoba is gonna fuck them right up.

sputnik
05-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Even I don't plan on raising kids in Winnipeg. Sure, Winnipeg isn't ALL bad, but it's not my first choice of places to live and CERTAINLY not a place I would want to raise kids.

Funny.

I actually moved to Winnipeg from Calgary to raise my kids here. Part of it was family reasons (even though we have family in both cities), but a good chunk of it was that we like the city more.

Also, as long as you don't live in the area of Winnipeg School Division 1 (where most of the natives live), you are fine. That is really the only "bad" school division. Most people making decent money don't live in that area. It is generally filled with poorer immigrants and welfare families.

The problem with Winnipeg is that the city is backwards to Calgary in that poor areas in the middle of the city instead of on the outskirts or hidden in an industrial area like Calgary. It just makes the poverty WAY more visible. It also sucks that it is cheap to live here, however as house prices climb areas are just getting better as landlords sell off their properties and welfare renters can no longer afford the area.

flipstah
05-16-2011, 10:20 AM

I have no problem with them not being called the Jets - I think it's a new team, new era, start out fresh. However, calling them the Manitoba Moose is stupid... calling them Manitoba anything is stupid.

They're not the British Columbia Canucks, etc. Winnipeg is the largest (and only city of relevance) in Manitoba. The American barely know where Winnipeg is, Manitoba is gonna fuck them right up.

+1. Whenever someone says 'Canada', they think of Vancouver or Toronto... Sometimes, Montreal.

It's going to be tricky for the Americuns.

Jlude
05-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Funny.

I actually moved to Winnipeg from Calgary to raise my kids here. Part of it was family reasons (even though we have family in both cities), but a good chunk of it was that we like the city more.

Also, as long as you don't live in the area of Winnipeg School Division 1 (where most of the natives live), you are fine. That is really the only "bad" school division. Most people making decent money don't live in that area. It is generally filled with poorer immigrants and welfare families.

The problem with Winnipeg is that the city is backwards to Calgary in that poor areas in the middle of the city instead of on the outskirts or hidden in an industrial area like Calgary. It just makes the poverty WAY more visible. It also sucks that it is cheap to live here, however as house prices climb areas are just getting better as landlords sell off their properties and welfare renters can no longer afford the area.

Agreed. I live in Lindenwoods, it's an ok neighbourhood and my office is blocks away on Waverley.

Like I said, Winnipeg isn't ALL bad, but it's certainly no gem. I must admit, the weather reminds me of California... I know it's crazy, but damn... in the summer, it's sunny almost every day!

sputnik
05-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Agreed. I live in Lindenwoods, it's an ok neighbourhood and my office is blocks away on Waverley.

I am in Fraser's Grove. Between Henderson and the river.

Like I said, Winnipeg isn't ALL bad, but it's certainly no gem. I must admit, the weather reminds me of California... I know it's crazy, but damn... in the summer, it's sunny almost every day!

Sunny and hot all day and hot all night too.

Unlike Calgary where a high of +30 means you will need a jacket in the morning to get to work, then it will be +30 from noon until 2pm (along with dry and windy) and by the time you get home for dinner you need a jacket to stand next to the BBQ followed by a hail/dust storm.

sputnik
05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Back on topic.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-thrashers/atlanta-spirit-true-north-947628.html

Atlanta Spirit, True North in negotiations about Thrashers sale, relocation
By Chris Vivlamore
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Atlanta Spirit has begun negotiations with True North Sports and Entertainment on the sale of the Thrashers, which would result in relocation to Winnipeg, according to a person familiar with the NHL’s sale process.

A deal has not been completed and it is also not known how long the two sides have been negotiating. However, the fact that talks are on-going could mean the Thrashers would relocate to Manitoba perhaps as soon as next season.

Dren
05-16-2011, 02:40 PM
:clap: :clap:

^^^

Looks like things are going in a good direction..but still never know with the NHL needs to approve it, with the relocation

Stealth22
05-16-2011, 08:10 PM
^ I think the NHL is more likely to approve this one, just cause they've been actively searching for a new ATL owner for quite some time now.

Jlude
05-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Got a text last night from someone stating the announcement will come on Friday. Guess we'll see, but he's my season ticket connection, told me to get ready, 30% down and a year commitment needed within a week.

sputnik
05-17-2011, 07:20 AM
The rumours now are that that NHL is currently working on two schedules for next season and is preparing to have Winnipeg part in the NHL entry draft as well.

Jlude
05-17-2011, 10:13 AM
The rumours now are that that NHL is currently working on two schedules for next season and is preparing to have Winnipeg part in the NHL entry draft as well.

Heard this too!

Whoops... meant to say 3 year commitment in my last post.

You picking up season tickets?

sputnik
05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
You picking up season tickets?

I will probably split a pair of seats with a couple of friends.

AaronK
05-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Lol the team will just fail again. Just like Atlanta did. :)

sputnik
05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by AaronK
Lol the team will just fail again. Just like Atlanta did. :)

That is certainly the most compelling argument I have heard so far.

Based on your exceptional logic skills you should also be able to say that the team in Winnipeg will go to the Stanley Cup finals in six years and win it two years later.

You know... just like the Atlanta Flames did.

Jlude
05-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't know how well they're going to do or how long they'll last, but I will support them throughout their entire time in Winnipeg.

Dren
05-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't know how well they're going to do or how long they'll last, but I will support them throughout their entire time in Winnipeg.

I agree, i will as well!

I think they will last, as Winnipeg is a very stable city. With a rich owner, new building and backing of fans i think it will be there for a long time.

I just want more info to see if things are actually going in the right direction !

Dren
05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Interesting how they seem to need money help now...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/province-gets-behind-bid-for-nhl-team-122138329.html

stevieo
05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/atlanta-thrashers-moving-to-winnipeg/article2029179/

deal is finalized? to be announced tuesday.

95teetee
05-19-2011, 07:25 PM
just saw a crawler on Sportsnet that the Thrashers have been sold to a Winnipeg group...

edit- I'm too slow:D

VWEvo
05-19-2011, 07:31 PM
wow,

Thats pretty crazy. Detroit will join the eastern conference and winnipeg will join the west and possibly the NW conference with the flames.

VWEvo
05-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Looks like the Globe and Mail report is "inaccurate"

Link to Winnipeg Free Press Report (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Thrashers-sale-report-not-accurate-122268064.html)

Nissanaddict
05-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Interesting how they seem to need money help now...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/province-gets-behind-bid-for-nhl-team-122138329.html

Help with a loan is far different than flat out paying 25 million dollars in losses like the Coyotes did.

As far as the deal, there is no way the NHL will confirm it until they feel it's time. However, Stephen Brunt is not one to jump the gun. Also, the paper he writes for is owned by one of the members of the purchasing group. I highly doubt the paper's website would publish that sort of information before checking with the owner. The one comment retracted was that there would be a press conference on Tuesday. So it's obviously been checked. Stephen Brunt has also emailed people saying that he stands by his story.

If Stephen Brunt gets fired tonight, then it MIGHT be inaccurate.

Jlude
05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
The Thomson family owns the Globe and Mail.

The report is accurate and the deal is done... more sources are confirming. Nick Kypreos just confirmed via twitter.

TE4MFaint
05-19-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/05/19/thrashers_winnipeg_agreement/

Stealth22
05-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Winnipeggers need to cool their jets...pun intended. Officially, the deal is not done yet, and while I agree with TSN (Dreger and McKenzie) saying that it could get done, I'm not going to buy into any rumors or speculation until its 100% official.

95teetee
05-20-2011, 07:41 AM
also, couldn't the NHL (read: Bettman) squash a move no matter who bought the team?

sexualbanana
05-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Winnipeggers need to cool their jets...pun intended. Officially, the deal is not done yet, and while I agree with TSN (Dreger and McKenzie) saying that it could get done, I'm not going to buy into any rumors or speculation until its 100% official.

No kidding. I was watching Sportsnet last night and it went like:

<10 minutes on Atlanta moving>
Then I think it was Dreger comes on and goes
"We should add that True North Sports has denied that a deal has been made. And we have not received confirmation from anyone involved, so we'll wait to see what happens."

So I go :banghead:. What happened to journalistic duty? Or, fact-checking? They just spent 10 minutes reporting it like it was fact, and then go "Oh btw, it might be bullshit."

sputnik
05-20-2011, 08:42 AM

The deal is as good as done. That said there are probably some final details (i.e. signatures) that need to be completed before it is 100% official. As a result, all parties involved with not sat that the deal is done until the last document is signed.

This is well beyond just rumours or speculation anymore.

The NHL _is_ returning to Winnipeg and it is just a matter of a few days before it is made official.

Jlude
05-20-2011, 09:11 AM

The deal is as good as done. That said there are probably some final details (i.e. signatures) that need to be completed before it is 100% official. As a result, all parties involved with not sat that the deal is done until the last document is signed.

This is well beyond just rumours or speculation anymore.

The NHL _is_ returning to Winnipeg and it is just a matter of a few days before it is made official.

Agreed.

I know it sounds like BS... and everyone knows "someone"... but it's done.

I'll bet anything on it.

Dren
05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Its going to happen soon. I just wish they would come out and say it. Winnipeg's Mayor said this :

Winnipeg's mayor says it's just "a matter of time" before a deal to move the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg is announced.

Sam Katz says the deal to bring an NHL team back to Winnipeg "is going to happen."

He says there is an understanding the deal will move forward but nothing is signed, sealed and delivered yet.

Excitement about the return of NHL hockey is growing in the city with fans now buzzing about what the team should be called.

Thomas Steen played for the Winnipeg Jets for 14 years and is now a city councillor.

He says he's trying not to get too excited until the deal is official.

Stealth22
05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Winnipeg mayor says its "just a matter of time" until the deal is done.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366351

Let me just clarify the point I was trying to make in my last post. I'm expecting it to become official in the next few days, and I'm not going to be surprised when it happens. But at the same time, I dont think that anyone (particularly the people of Winnipeg) should get too ahead of themselves.

EDIT: Damn it..

sputnik
05-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Let me just clarify the point I was trying to make in my last post. I'm expecting it to become official in the next few days, and I'm not going to be surprised when it happens. But at the same time, I dont think that anyone (particularly the people of Winnipeg) should get too ahead of themselves.

Your point makes no sense.

Winnipeg residents want and are anticipating an NHL team and you believe that it will happen in the next few days. Yet you warn people not to get "ahead of themselves".

Ahead of themselves regarding what?

An NHL team is coming to Winnipeg. What more is being expected?

Stealth22
05-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, all of this speculation is relying on this one report from the Globe and Mail. If it takes a little longer to get done, some people might start crying.

Like I said, I'm not going to be surprised when it happens, and I'm happy to see the city get a team, but some people in Winnipeg need to calm down a little.

Don't start the parade until it's official. Just sayin. :dunno:

Jlude
05-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Well, all of this speculation is relying on this one report from the Globe and Mail. If it takes a little longer to get done, some people might start crying.

Like I said, I'm not going to be surprised when it happens, and I'm happy to see the city get a team, but some people in Winnipeg need to calm down a little.

Don't start the parade until it's official. Just sayin. :dunno:

I have friends that have been waiting 15 years for this to happen, I bet some of them would actually cry if this doesn't happen this time :rofl: :rofl:

Stealth22
05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
^ Listening to a clip from TSN Radio. Darren Dreger has a high-level source who says the deal is NOT done, and if he revealed the source, he claims that this Globe report would go away pretty darn quick. His source also says that it is not close, and this is not a situation where the deal is verbally done and just needs signing off on. He even remarked (via his source) that they were closer to buying the Coyotes a year ago than they are now to buying the Thrashers.

Again, just take everything you hear/read with a grain of salt, and that includes Darren Dreger too. Could a deal happen very soon? Absolutely. Will I be surprised when it does? Absolutely not. Is there still a remote possibility that someone buys the team and keeps it in ATL? According to Dreger, while it is a remote possibility, its not something that can be 100% ruled out.

TSN (Naylor/Dreger) maintains that their rule is, they report "done deal" when it is in fact, a 100% done deal. Until then, people in Winnipeg should be cautiously optimistic. Chances are that yeah, you're getting a team. But until its official, don't get too excited.

My $0.02

sputnik
05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Both sides are correct.

It is done enough to get excited and to expect an NHL team in Winnipeg.

It is not done enough for the NHL or any partners to make an official announcement.

Jlude
05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
^ Listening to a clip from TSN Radio. Darren Dreger has a high-level source who says the deal is NOT done, and if he revealed the source, he claims that this Globe report would go away pretty darn quick. His source also says that it is not close, and this is not a situation where the deal is verbally done and just needs signing off on. He even remarked (via his source) that they were closer to buying the Coyotes a year ago than they are now to buying the Thrashers.

Again, just take everything you hear/read with a grain of salt, and that includes Darren Dreger too. Could a deal happen very soon? Absolutely. Will I be surprised when it does? Absolutely not. Is there still a remote possibility that someone buys the team and keeps it in ATL? According to Dreger, while it is a remote possibility, its not something that can be 100% ruled out.

TSN (Naylor/Dreger) maintains that their rule is, they report &quot;done deal&quot; when it is in fact, a 100% done deal. Until then, people in Winnipeg should be cautiously optimistic. Chances are that yeah, you're getting a team. But until its official, don't get too excited.

My $0.02

I will agree with you.
Nothing is done until it's DONE.

But... the chances of someone buying Atlanta are very remote (other than True North). Atlanta Spirit Group has been trying to sell the Trashers since they acquired them in the Hawks, Stadium, Thrashers deal in 2004. They only took the hockey team to get the basketball team. If someone wanted to buy them, they would have already. I know it was an issue with some lawsuits that prevented the team from selling years ago, but I dunno.

Either way... I will say this, I'm gonna be super hateful if this doesn't go through. Plus I'm already sour, my accountant just informed me that my company isn't big enough to expense my season tickets... fuck. Oh well.

PGTze
05-20-2011, 02:23 PM
As mentioned previously the 'Jets' new owner also happens to own the Globe and Mail, where it was first reported. The writer was also Stephen Brunt, who has a great deal of integrity and respect in the sports journalism world. If it were anyone but him breaking the story I would be skeptical of the situation, but I really don't think Brunt would have ran with the story unless he was certain.

The Thrashers leaving Atlanta makes a great deal more sense than the Coyotes situation IMO. Atlanta is a huge city but competing with the NFL, MLB, NBA, as well as NCAA sports in a 'non traditional hockey market' was never going to work, especially now that there isn't even an ownership group that wants them. If someone were to try and buy the Thrashers they would have to be renting the arena from the Atlanta Hawks owners making turning any sort of profit impossible. At least Pheonix has the ownership of it's own building as well as the help of Canadians wintering in Arizona to help boost ticket sales.

Stealth22
05-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Funnily enough, I was at a Flames game, and two Jets fans were in the crowd. One of em was talking how he "knew someone" that was in the loop, and said that while everyone is looking at and hoping for Phoenix, its actually Atlanta thats moving to Winnipeg. This was back in like, March I think, when everyone thought the Hulsizer deal would fall apart, and the Coyotes would move up to Canada.

At the time, when I overheard him say that, I was like, "meh, maybe". And he turned out to be right. :drama:

sputnik
05-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Funnily enough, I was at a Flames game, and two Jets fans were in the crowd. One of em was talking how he &quot;knew someone&quot; that was in the loop, and said that while everyone is looking at and hoping for Phoenix, its actually Atlanta thats moving to Winnipeg. This was back in like, March I think, when everyone thought the Hulsizer deal would fall apart, and the Coyotes would move up to Canada.

At the time, when I overheard him say that, I was like, &quot;meh, maybe&quot;. And he turned out to be right. :drama:

Technically the Hulsizer deal did fall apart. The league still owns the team today.

The only reason that Phoenix is around next year is because they City of Glendale gave the league another $25 million to cover the team's losses next year.

I suspect that TSNE were shopping both teams and went with Atlanta at the end due to the lack of government interference in Atlanta and the fact that the NHL didn't own the team either.

sputnik
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
ROFL @ Phoenix

Apparently seasons tickets to see the Coyotes are starting at $10/game.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2011/05/23/20110523phoenix-coyotes-open-house-glendale.html

http://cdn.nhl.com/coyotes/v2/ext/misc/2010-11_map.jpg
http://1.cdn.nhle.com/coyotes/v2/ext/misc/11-12_ticketpricing.jpg

Jlude
05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
255/ticket!! That's gross... I won't be paying that for season tickets... f that. I draw my limit at 150/ticket.

D'z Nutz
05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Hahaha Tampa Bay Lightning season tickets were as cheap as $240 for the whole year a couple years back

Speed_RaSiR
05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Personally, I hope Winnipeg DOES get the Thrashers. This way it will finally silence the abundance of mis-informed trolls in Winnipeg who have nothing better to do then read AZcentral and troll other cities teams\fans.

A bit of a back story, I'm a Calgary boy, relocated to Phoenix been a loyal Coyotes fan since I got here along with the thousands of other fans THAT DO EXIST.

Although Canadians might think TSN is the mecca of valid sports news, It's not. I'm willing to bet 99% of the Winnipeg\Canadian trolls have never even been to Phoenix or Atlanta for that matter. Hockey does work here, I can't speak for Atlanta. Yes attendance has been down in the past three years and previously. Its been a calamity of bad ownership and lack there of. Bottom line is, who is going to go watch a team that might not be there next year and is barely marketed locally. The Coyotes used to have a stable 15-16k nightly attendance record. With a hockey minded owner and proper marketing I'm sure the team will do just fine here. Plus the city is full of US East Coast\Canadian snowbirds all winter. Westgate is an AMAZING facility, it's no wonder the Glendale City council is fighting so hard to keep the Coyotes here.

I have been to numerous NHL arena's including obviously the Saddledome and recently the TD Garden in Boston for their last home game. Both where ROCKING. Just like the Coyotes recent playoff run which was PACKED with loyal fans having a great time.

sputnik, this is not a jab directed at you specifically, I still think you're a cool guy and wish you well. I find it funny that we used to be next door neighbors and then collectively moved to exact polar opposite sides of this hockey debacle.

So hopefully soon we can all focus on what's really important here, HOCKEY. Matter of fact I'm willing to place a $5 wager on the first Phoenix\Winnipeg game with you sputnik. Here's hoping for an awesome rivalry!!!

Aleks
05-25-2011, 08:58 AM
255/ticket!! That's gross... I won't be paying that for season tickets... f that. I draw my limit at 150/ticket.

If you're not planning to buy Coyotes season tickets you should be ok. Those prices are actually very affordable compared to what they are for the Flames season tickets and likely Winnipeg...

rage2
05-25-2011, 09:13 AM
$255/ticket is all inclusive for food and drinks in the first row? That's a pretty damn good deal.

Overall, the prices are way cheaper than the Flames. Our lower bowl season ticket price ($162 for club, $107 for normal) is a lot more than their equivilents ($80 for club center, $45 for normal).

sputnik
05-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

If you're not planning to buy Coyotes season tickets you should be ok. Those prices are actually very affordable compared to what they are for the Flames season tickets and likely Winnipeg...

I would say that they are DIRT cheap. Other than a few select rows, nearly the entire facility is $45/seat or less.

I also don't understand how people will say that Phoenix Coyotes games are poorly attended because the fans don't know what is happening next year. Who cares about next year? This year the Coyotes were top of their division for a good portion of the season, playing relatively well and they still could barely scrape together 5000 fans at a game (actual attendance not the BS reported attendance).

If there actually was a good base of hockey fans in the desert they would have been there supporting their team and buying seasons tickets. With about 4 million people in the Phoenix area (and surrounding suburbs) you figure it shouldn't be that hard to put at least 15,000 people in the arena without having to literally give away most of the tickets.

Hopefully the Coyotes can figure out a way to get people to buy tickets and stop losing tens of millions of dollars every year... but they wont do it with crowds like this night after night.

http://phoenix.fanster.com/coyotes/files/2009/10/coyotesvsblues.jpg

cycosis
05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Heard on Global they will not be called the Jets? Thats kinda lame....

D'z Nutz
05-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Speed_RaSiR
Plus the city is full of US East Coast\Canadian snowbirds all winter. Westgate is an AMAZING facility, it's no wonder the Glendale City council is fighting so hard to keep the Coyotes here.

Is there anything cool to see or do in Phoenix/Glendale? I should attend a Coyotes game sooner than later, given the uncertainty of their future.

D'z Nutz
05-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by cycosis

Why would that be lame? It's cause they're not the Jets. The Coyotes are.

sputnik
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by cycosis

Unless the information is coming directly from TSNE or the NHL I wouldn't sweat any rumours.

That said. Who cares what they are called?

If you are a hockey fan, the team could be called just about anything.

Jlude
05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Personally, I hope Winnipeg DOES get the Thrashers. This way it will finally silence the abundance of mis-informed trolls in Winnipeg who have nothing better to do then read AZcentral and troll other cities teams\fans.

A bit of a back story, I'm a Calgary boy, relocated to Phoenix been a loyal Coyotes fan since I got here along with the thousands of other fans THAT DO EXIST.

Although Canadians might think TSN is the mecca of valid sports news, It's not. I'm willing to bet 99% of the Winnipeg\Canadian trolls have never even been to Phoenix or Atlanta for that matter. Hockey does work here, I can't speak for Atlanta. Yes attendance has been down in the past three years and previously. Its been a calamity of bad ownership and lack there of. Bottom line is, who is going to go watch a team that might not be there next year and is barely marketed locally. The Coyotes used to have a stable 15-16k nightly attendance record. With a hockey minded owner and proper marketing I'm sure the team will do just fine here. Plus the city is full of US East Coast\Canadian snowbirds all winter. Westgate is an AMAZING facility, it's no wonder the Glendale City council is fighting so hard to keep the Coyotes here.

I have been to numerous NHL arena's including obviously the Saddledome and recently the TD Garden in Boston for their last home game. Both where ROCKING. Just like the Coyotes recent playoff run which was PACKED with loyal fans having a great time.

sputnik, this is not a jab directed at you specifically, I still think you're a cool guy and wish you well. I find it funny that we used to be next door neighbors and then collectively moved to exact polar opposite sides of this hockey debacle.

So hopefully soon we can all focus on what's really important here, HOCKEY. Matter of fact I'm willing to place a $5 wager on the first Phoenix\Winnipeg game with you sputnik. Here's hoping for an awesome rivalry!!!

:rofl: :rofl: that is pretty funny about you an sputnik.

I agree with you, I've been to Atlanta and Phoenix and both cities could support a team and would support one, if their was good ownership and proper marketing.

Jlude
05-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Originally posted by rage2

$255/ticket is all inclusive for food and drinks in the first row? That's a pretty damn good deal.

Overall, the prices are way cheaper than the Flames. Our lower bowl season ticket price ($162 for club, $107 for normal) is a lot more than their equivilents ($80 for club center, $45 for normal).

I didn't know the 255/ticket included food... Still... not gonna be getting bombed every hockey game, so I'd rather get the next level cheaper tickets. Plus, at the MTS center (don't know about others) you can order your beer from your phone. :thumbsup:

Why would that be lame? It's cause they're not the Jets. The Coyotes are.

I personally don't care what they're called as long as it isn't Moose or Manitoba... other than that, I couldn't give a shit.

And... on another note... I've just agreed to terms to buy season ticket rights. The person has Manitoba Moose season tickets, he's going to sell me the rights to the NHL season tickets in exchange for 10-12 games at face value - those games include - the first, the last and his favorite teams in between. meh

rage2
05-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I didn't know the 255/ticket included food... Still... not gonna be getting bombed every hockey game, so I'd rather get the next level cheaper tickets. Plus, at the MTS center (don't know about others) you can order your beer from your phone. :thumbsup:
Yea, the prices drop pretty quick. Row A @ $255 all inclusive, Row B @ $180 all inclusive, Row C and up at $45.

sputnik
05-25-2011, 10:16 AM

:rofl: :rofl: that is pretty funny about you an sputnik.

Yeah. We were neighbours for a couple of years on McKenzie Towne.

Speed_RaSiR
05-25-2011, 10:52 AM

I would say that they are DIRT cheap. Other than a few select rows, nearly the entire facility is $45/seat or less.

I also don't understand how people will say that Phoenix Coyotes games are poorly attended because the fans don't know what is happening next year. Who cares about next year? This year the Coyotes were top of their division for a good portion of the season, playing relatively well and they still could barely scrape together 5000 fans at a game (actual attendance not the BS reported attendance).

If there actually was a good base of hockey fans in the desert they would have been there supporting their team and buying seasons tickets. With about 4 million people in the Phoenix area (and surrounding suburbs) you figure it shouldn't be that hard to put at least 15,000 people in the arena without having to literally give away most of the tickets.

Hopefully the Coyotes can figure out a way to get people to buy tickets and stop losing tens of millions of dollars every year... but they wont do it with crowds like this night after night.

http://phoenix.fanster.com/coyotes/files/2009/10/coyotesvsblues.jpg

Meanwhile in Winnipeg...
http://otonly.com/x0411/226.jpg

Here are pictures I've personally taken at jobing.com arena. Westgate is basically Las Vegas with a hockey rink there are amazing restaurants, bars, hotels, stores everywhere. You should all come check it out. You could spend a weekend there for sure.

http://otonly.com/x0411/148.jpg

http://otonly.com/x0411/621.jpg

http://otonly.com/x0411/432.jpg

http://otonly.com/x0411/423.jpg

http://otonly.com/x0411/324.jpg

http://otonly.com/x0411/164115_10150113654610450_54.jpg

sputnik
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
When tickets cost next to nothing, any city can fill an arena during the NHL playoffs (especially when you are playing a team like Detroit). The true test of a team is how many show up on a Tuesday night to see their team play the Florida Panthers. This is usually a good indication as to how many season tickets are sold.

Its also pretty funny that the only reason everyone is wearing white is because the white t-shirts came free with the seat.

In Canada, fans drop $100 for their own jersey not to mention a couple hundred on tickets to the game (if they can even get them).

Speed_RaSiR
05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
When tickets cost next to nothing, any city can fill an arena during the NHL playoffs (especially when you are playing a team like Detroit). The true test of a team is how many show up on a Tuesday night to see their team play the Florida Panthers. This is usually a good indication as to how many season tickets are sold.

Its also pretty funny that the only reason everyone is wearing white is because the white t-shirts came free with the seat.

In Canada, fans drop $100 for their own jersey not to mention a couple hundred on tickets to the game (if they can even get them).

So how bout that $5 wager?

max_boost
05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Didn't the owner of the Coyotes lose $30million US/year for like 10 years straight? I'm no math/acct guy but I'm just going to say, I don't think hockey works there. LOL :dunno: :rofl:

Speed_RaSiR
05-25-2011, 11:36 AM
The trolling never ends...

sputnik
05-25-2011, 11:44 AM

So how bout that $5 wager?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/02/picture-1-1266344425.png

You're on.

In Canadian currency.

I don't want your $4.75 Obamabucks.

Speed_RaSiR
05-25-2011, 11:51 AM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/02/picture-1-1266344425.png

You're on.

In Canadian currency.

I don't want your $4.75 Obamabucks.

hehe, you got it bro!

sputnik
05-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Didn't the owner of the Coyotes lose $30million US/year for like 10 years straight? I'm no math/acct guy but I'm just going to say, I don't think hockey works there. LOL :dunno: :rofl:

The team has actually NEVER made a profit in Phoenix.

Not to mention that the team went completely bankrupt, has been controlled by the league since 2008, has no owner willing to pay for it and the City of Glendale taxpayers are currently bankrolling the team at a cost of $25 million per year.

I guess the CoG didn't need those schools, roads and libraries anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Coyotes_bankruptcy

max_boost
05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
They should have just sold it to Rim Jim and put another team in Southern Ontario.