PDA

View Full Version : LF: Instrumentation work

HiTempguy1
05-14-2011, 09:47 PM
If anyone has a line on instrumentation work in Alberta, please PM me about it as I would love to apply. I am an instrumentation technologist (not a journeyman), and would be more interested in design or programming work. I can supply a resume and cover letter quite quickly if you would like one. Having only worked in the field for one year after graduating, I would still consider myself a junior. I love to learn and am looking to expand my horizons!

Thanks!

ExtraSlow
05-14-2011, 10:07 PM
If you are willing to work around Conklin, I guarantee Devon is hiring for Jackfish/Pike projects. Had a look at the website, and no instrumentation jobs posted right now, but I'm certain they are hiring.

TheRealTimHorton
05-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If you are willing to work around Conklin, I guarantee Devon is hiring for Jackfish/Pike projects. Had a look at the website, and no instrumentation jobs posted right now, but I'm certain they are hiring.

I hauled some water for pike back in the day! That road crowns pretty bad :(

HiTempguy1
05-14-2011, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the headsup, I'll look into it!

alloroc
05-14-2011, 11:59 PM
SSM is hiring.
(scott springfield manufacturing)
I just left there - the electrical head (Mike) is an asshole ... but they are hiring.

They are looking for guys to test HVAC units at approx 20 bucks an hour. Allen Bradley 1400 micrologix controllers.

ExtraSlow
05-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Instrumentation is a pretty hot field these days, and it should remain that way for a long time.

That and steam-ticketed plant operators.

HiTempguy1
05-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Instrumentation is a pretty hot field these days, and it should remain that way for a long time.

Yes, the job market wasn't bad when I graduated last year, this year it has EXPLODED. My year contract where I currently work is almost up, and I feel the need to expand my knowledge in instrumentation... my current job does not afford me that opportunity :(

Troll-ol
05-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
SSM is hiring.
(scott springfield manufacturing)
I just left there - the electrical head (Mike) is an asshole ... but they are hiring.

They are looking for guys to test HVAC units at approx 20 bucks an hour. Allen Bradley 1400 micrologix controllers. This place is the worst job I ever had, since day 2 working there I was trying to find another job and within 2 weeks got one and quit the same day.

alloroc
05-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
This place is the worst job I ever had, since day 2 working there I was trying to find another job and within 2 weeks got one and quit the same day.

I prolly know you .. I'm Brent. I tried so hard and gave them so many suggestions but they freaking handcuffed me over and over I couldn't get shit done.

spike98
05-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Fire off a resume at my plant. I believe the IE department is looking but dont have it posted on the website. Also, we are HURTING for operators too!

http://canadian-fertilizers.com/index.htm

freshprince1
05-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Wow, I didn't know how many I&E guys there are around here. I work for a Controls System/Instrumentation vendor. Definitely a great field. Lots of work.

You can forward me your resume if you'd like, but I don't think we're hiring for what you're looking at. But if there are any Engineers or PM's out there looking for work at a Vendor, I can hand deliver your resumes to the right people.

HiTempguy1
05-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Wow, I didn't know how many I&E guys there are around here. I work for a Controls System/Instrumentation vendor. Definitely a great field. Lots of work.

You can forward me your resume if you'd like, but I don't think we're hiring for what you're looking at. But if there are any Engineers or PM's out there looking for work at a Vendor, I can hand deliver your resumes to the right people.

I already did the vendor thing (Westburne Electric in Calgary), worked inside sales, I don't think that is really my cup of tea. Now, if it is installation of a vendor's product, that's a different story :D

Nufy
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I already did the vendor thing (Westburne Electric in Calgary), worked inside sales, I don't think that is really my cup of tea. Now, if it is installation of a vendor's product, that's a different story :D

I don't blame you for leaving there,,,

best thing I ever did was walk out of those doors for the last time....

IggyB
05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Send me a resume.

HiTempguy1
05-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by IggyB
Send me a resume.

One resume, coming right up. :D

IggyB
05-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Received and forwarded:)

HiTempguy1
05-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by IggyB
Received and forwarded:)

Thank you kind sir! :clap:

As an update, I haven't had a callback from any of my applications so far, which puts me at about 10 job applications in 1 week.

For my previous job, I spent over 1 month and 60 applications (at least) to get 1 interview, which landed me a job. Hopefully I can do slightly better this time around!

Also (to anyone who contacts me or is thinking about it) if your company isn't hiring RIGHT NOW but is looking to later on the year, I'd love to have my resume on file even if it is a call 3 months down the road; that is fine by me :)

ExtraSlow
05-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Did you send yours to Devon?