PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for runners knee

tictactoe2004
05-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Anyone here ever had to deal with runners knee? I've read a lot about it online and found lots of different things to try to correct it but I thought I'd see if anyone here has dealt with it personally, if you have what worked best for you?

J-hop
05-15-2011, 12:03 PM
change your shoes, that was my problem, my running shoes were old and tired (if yours are new they may not be the right fit for you- see 'questions for the runners" thread). Also run on the grass as opposed to the cement, much easier on the knees.

swak
05-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
change your shoes, that was my problem, my running shoes were old and tired (if yours are new they may not be the right fit for you- see 'questions for the runners" thread). Also run on the grass as opposed to the cement, much easier on the knees.

..or just tuck in your pussy lips and run.

I have the same problem, and i go to a sports physiotherapist monthly for it. Just dont baby it, and run.

J-hop
05-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by swak

i go to a sports physiotherapist monthly for it

apparently your technique isn't working

swak
05-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

apparently your technique isn't working

Says the guy recommending running on grass to combat knee pain.

Rehab's not a one month process.

J-hop
05-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by swak

Says the guy recommending running on grass to combat knee pain.

Rehab's not a one month process.

try it sometime, humans weren't built to run on stuff like cement, it is very hard on the knees, during a recovery process running on the grass is great, it reduces the impact to the knee quit a bit. If you don't believe me go run barefoot on pavement and then on grass and tell me which one makes your feet more sore from impact.

trust me I used to compete in tennis, a sport where knee injuries are prevalent and detrimental to your game, pushing through the pain is horrible advice. No physiotherapist, athlete or coach will ever tell you to push through knee pain...

swak
05-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I race road bikes competitively, and the most important thing any coach/therapist has told me is to keep active, ice, and keep the knee moving.

It hurts like hell some rides, but i know its going to only get better with time.

And yes i know that running on grass is significantly less impact on the knees, but i also know its not the answer.
Run on the asphalt, STRETCH, and keep the knee moving

revelations
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I have a bad knee from being hit by a car while on the motorbike.

The BIGGEST help for me was to switch from a heel strike to a forefoot strike.

core_upt
05-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Get a foam roller. Hurts like fucking hell, but makes you loosen up your legs a lot.
Roll out your IT bands on a daily basis.

adidas
05-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by revelations

DING DING DING

By far the best advice given on beyond, evAr.

tictactoe2004
05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Thx for all the replies guys, I have a doctors appointment later in the week to confirm that it is indeed runners knee, that's what everything I've read online points to.

I'm going to make a few changes from the suggestions in this thread and some things I read online, here's where I'm going to start and we'll see how big of an impact this has:

-Ice and elevate knees after runs
-Advil to reduce swelling
-Proper new running shoes
-Change running technique, switch from heel strike to forefoot strike
-Foam roller to stretch IT bands
-Stretching out my quads (I can't touch my toes when I bend over)
-Strengthening of the quads (to help keep the knee aligned while running)

Anything else I should add to the list?

r3ccOs
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
stretching IT bands werre the biggest ones for me... u can stretch everything else conventionally, but u need a roller to really get at the IT band which will pull the knee cap from the patella tendon causing the problem with its natural traction.

scboss
05-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I have a bad knee from being hit by a car while on the motorbike.

This and new shoes. Ive taken two university classes on injury prevention, you should never run through the pain. A partially torn acl or mcl will turn into a full out rip if not careful. Always go to your doctor and if your really worried and get a ct scan.

Running on grass is not the answer......... but neither is running on pavement. Find out whats wrong and go from there. Pref from a sports med doctor.

scboss
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

-Stretching out my quads (I can't touch my toes when I bend over)
-Strengthening of the quads (to help keep the knee aligned while running)

Anything else I should add to the list?

Not touching your toes is a hamstring problem not quad btw.

See a sports med doctor they will be able to help you in no time

revelations
05-16-2011, 08:25 PM
OP switching to a forefoot strike will take a few weeks of getting used to. Your calves will be burning during and after though.

Try incrementally increasing the amount of time you spend on the forefoot strike during each subsequent run. (eg. 1/4 first time). You will also notice that you can run slightly farther and faster each time as you gain about 10% in efficiency.

Khyron
05-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Or, you'll get a nice case of PF and be out for a year.

tictactoe2004
05-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Or, you'll get a nice case of PF and be out for a year.

edit: I read about PF, tried the home test and had no pain, but I guess we'll see what the doc says.

What is PF? I don't want to be out for a year.

Also I'm sure that being over weight is having an impact in my knees, that's part of the reason I want to get in better shape.

I found this video on youtube, the comments seem positive so I'll see what happens after a couple weeks of doing these, any comments on the stretches in the video?:

LDhKVtkfnsg

Khyron
05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
PF: Plantar Fasciitis. High risk if you rush to start running on your forefoot, or barefoot running, or any huge change in running form. And it takes forever to heal.

Wear the right shoes. Don't worry about what part of your foot is hitting concrete, but DO try and do it under or behind your center of gravity. Like you're leaning forward a bit. Striking out in front drives a huge amount of shock energy back into your knee.

And don't bounce. Your head should be pretty level as you move forward.