PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: Cruze vs Elantra

big A
05-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Which would be the vehicle of choice. Doing a search on beyond for each vehicle showed only good comments for both but the cruze only garnered a few comments of attention and the elantra has four pages.
To keep them the same price would be the cruze LS and the elantra GLS. I was gonna pick up a cruze tomorrow untill I comparred the elantra.

HiTempguy1
05-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by big A
Which would be the vehicle of choice. Doing a search on beyond for each vehicle showed only good comments for both but the cruze only garnered a few comments of attention and the elantra has four pages.
To keep them the same price would be the cruze LS and the elantra GLS. I was gonna pick up a cruze tomorrow untill I comparred the elantra.

Drive both. The cruise isn't worth it unless you get the turbo version, horrible gas mileage and slow.

A790
05-15-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd pick the Cruse Eco if I had to choose between the two :)

Nismorphed
05-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Cruse has the worst seats ever, so hard and uncomfortable.

tentacles
05-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Is that right? The LS is the base model Chev and starts at $14k but the GLS is the top trime Hyundai and is $19K. :dunno:

http://www.auto123.com/en/chevrolet/cruze/2011/compare?tab=overview&addmycar=&carid=1111204901&id2=1112500307&addmake=&addmodel=&addyear=&pc11=&pc21=&pc12=&pc22=

The Cruze is built more for comfort, has more sound deadening, softer suspension, larger trunk. Elantra is opposite. Also the automatic on the Cruze is strange, but the manual is pretty good, while the Elantra's auto is pretty good.

Guillermo
05-15-2011, 05:55 PM
i'm a huge fan of elantra, although unfortunately they stopped making the V6 IIRC (not sure what year you're looking at)

tentacles
05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
i'm a huge fan of elantra, although unfortunately they stopped making the V6 IIRC (not sure what year you're looking at)

They never did, maybe you're thinking of the Sonata?

treg50
05-16-2011, 02:59 PM
OH... so this isn't news? I was expecting some auto journalism comparing the two cars.

You're in the wrong section I think. Try:

http://forums.beyond.ca/category/2/general-car-bike-talk/ (http://forums.beyond.ca/category/2/general-car-bike-talk/)

corsvette
05-16-2011, 04:28 PM
I found the Elantra to be quite noisy compaired to the Cruze, i also found the Cruze to have a bit nicer interior and the styling of the Hyundai is a bit over the top imo. I guess drive the two and see which one you like. Got my Mom in a Cruze and she loves it. We drove every single competitive model, and got a great deal from Shaganappi in the end.

Mitsu3000gt
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Car and Driver just did their comparison test, and picked the Cruze second last. "Too little too late" was basically their conclusion. That is just one mag's opinion of course, but I do agree with it. Shitty brakes, shitty steering, shitty seats, lots of body roll. It'll have bad resale too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/11q1/2011_chevy_cruze_vs._2012_ford_focus_and_three_more_compacts-comparison_tests

With choices like the new Elantra, Mazda 3, and new Ford Focus I don't know why you would pick the Cruze. It's underpowered even with the turbo engine as well.

I wasn't impressed when I drove the Cruze.

Obviously it's whatever you want though. Go drive them all and buy what you are most happy with based on whats most important to you.

Aleks
05-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Car and Driver just did their comparison test, and picked the Cruze second last. "Too little too late" was basically their conclusion. That is just one mag's opinion of course, but I do agree with it. Shitty brakes, shitty steering, shitty seats, lots of body roll. It'll have bad resale too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/11q1/2011_chevy_cruze_vs._2012_ford_focus_and_three_more_compacts-comparison_tests

With choices like the new Elantra, Mazda 3, and new Ford Focus I don't know why you would pick the Cruze. It's underpowered even with the turbo engine as well.

Elantra handles just as shitty and had crap steering feel according to that article. Also the Cruze is a full second faster to 60 mph than Elantra :dunno: and they only got 2 mpg more in the Hyundai. Im also betting Cruze won't have any worse resale than the Elantra either.

IMO Focus/3 are way better in every regard than either GM or Hyundai.

slinkie
05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Elantra handles just as shitty and had crap steering feel according to that article. Also the Cruze is a full second faster to 60 mph than Elantra :dunno: and they only got 2 mpg more in the Hyundai. Im also betting Cruze won't have any worse resale than the Elantra either.

The 2mpg is the only stat people care about in this class of car...Full second faster 0-60 with C&D launches and flooring it? Who will do that in an econobox? Besides me

Love the 3 interior and exterior. Only driven speed3 can't speak for how the base drives.

big A
05-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by treg50
OH... so this isn't news? I was expecting some auto journalism comparing the two cars.

You're in the wrong section I think. Try:

http://forums.beyond.ca/category/2/general-car-bike-talk/ (http://forums.beyond.ca/category/2/general-car-bike-talk/)

Shit Honesltly it was a mistake. I must have clicked wrong.

I was gonna just take everyones advice and make my decision then let the thread die but it is turning into an excellent educational thread for others to use.

Soooo could a mod please fix my fuckup.

Thanks

MGCM
05-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I have yet to drive the cruze eco with a stick but I myself have been satisfied with the auto cruze 1.4L DI Turbo. I work at a GM dealership and we have 4 service loaners, all Cruze 1.4L DI Turbo's, all of which have performed beautifully each time I have driven one. I found the seats we only uncomfortable IF, ONLY IF, you do not adjust them properly. Takes a minute or so to get them adjusted right but once you take the time they are comfortable. For the record, I am 6foot1 and 230lbs, very wide hips and shoulders, I fit just fine inside the cruze and would be more than happy to own one. Someone above said the seats are uncomfortable, well, if you just hop in and drive then yes of course they will not be comfortable, you cannot expect to just sit down and drive away happy with the radio auto-tuned to your favorite music and the seat auto-positioned to the exact contours of your body and then click auto-drive and get to work on time and stress free........do ppl seriously expect this?

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2011, 09:37 AM

I haven't driven the Elantra yet but I thought the Cruze was a giant POS and agreed with most of the magazine article's points. Maybe the Elantra will be just as bad, but 1 second difference 0-60 isn't what the vast majority of the people shopping in this segment care about. The abysmal seats (yes I took my time adjusting them...this is basic common sense when car shopping) in the Cruze or the strange amount of body roll, for example, might piss them off a lot more.

Sadly I am in the market for one of these cars right now...I'll probably end up with a Mazda 3 as it seems to be the least shitty and most fun of all these below average cars haha. Or maybe a Civic.

Aleks
05-17-2011, 10:01 AM

I haven't driven the Elantra yet but I thought the Cruze was a giant POS and agreed with most of the magazine article's points. Maybe the Elantra will be just as bad, but 1 second difference 0-60 isn't what the vast majority of the people shopping in this segment care about. The abysmal seats (yes I took my time adjusting them...this is basic common sense when car shopping) in the Cruze or the strange amount of body roll, for example, might piss them off a lot more.

Sadly I am in the market for one of these cars right now...I'll probably end up with a Mazda 3 as it seems to be the least shitty and most fun of all these below average cars haha. Or maybe a Civic.

If you're looking for fun to drive in this segment I'd look at Focus, Mazda 3, Civic, and Golf.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM

If you're looking for fun to drive in this segment I'd look at Focus, Mazda 3, Civic, and Golf.

Sadly, nothing is fun to drive in this segment :cry:. It just doesn't make sense to have the car I have now when I drive ~4,000km/year.

I'll probably be looking used, so that rules out the Focus. I am not interested in any previous Focuses.

I don't want a golf/jetta because I can't get anything other than that 2.0L (not turbo) in my price range I don't think, unless I go older than I want to.

Mazda 3 (2.3L) and Civic (Si) are definitely the front runners. I'd like to keep it around $16-17k and not much older than 2007-2009 or so.

HiTempguy1
05-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Have you thought about a Mazda 2? Small, but good gas mileage, and very enjoyable to drive for a fwd econobox. And as an added bonus, cheap!

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Have you thought about a Mazda 2? Small, but good gas mileage, and very enjoyable to drive for a fwd econobox. And as an added bonus, cheap!

I think it's a bit too small for me. I want a 4-door or even a 5-door hatch back in at least the size of the 3 or the Civic I think. Shopping in this segment makes me so sad haha. At least I'll be happy when I go fill it up with gas!

big A
05-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Review from test drive day:

I scheduled a test drive of the Cruze at GSL instead of the Chev lot in Douglasglen because I thought that salesman was lying to me about having to pay extra for AC because every thing online says "even the base Cruze comes with AC". I guess that was true though so I don't know what I was reading, maybe in the states.
He also told me that the cruze LS gets 1100 km per tank, which I had trouble believing. I asked the lady at GSL if this was true and expressed my skepticism and she said it was true.
So I scheduled a test drive of a car that was supposed to be exactly like one that was going to arrive in a few days but it was a color I didn't like. It was agreed that if the test car had the exact same engine and tranny as the car coming in and I like the test drive, I would put money down and take possesion when the car comes in. During the drive I realized I was driving a model with a turbo.
It took a lot of googling but I found out that the LS actually gets 700+km per tank, which is quite good but far from 1100.

The actual test drive:

I thought the drivers seat felt great. The lumbar fit tight but not constricting. My wife told me to set the drivers seat to my comfort( 6') and then get in the back. This is because my young son is a tall guy so he will soon be my height. The back was just barely good enough. I got used to driving the standard immediately it was so nice. The road noise was almost nonexistant it was so quiet. The ride (this may not even make sense) was too nice, it made the drive feel boring. The acceleration was just barely adequate ( keep in mind this was a turbo and I was only getting an LS ).

At Precision Hyundai:

The salesperson was a retired fellow who travelled and then wanted to work so he doesn't sit around. So he was a very low pressure person.
They have an Elantra GL in the Showroom. That car is this incredibly boring grey color some old fart would pick out because he never wants anyone to look at his car.
I don't even know the differences of interior trim from the GL to GLS and I will admit I don't think there is much but that car in the showroom was not exciting.
I did the same backseat legroom test and there was alot more in this car.
I felt since I was there I should go for a drive. All He had at the moment was a GLS in Auto with shiftronic. I said sure.

The drive:

The drivers seat was pretty good but my immediate thought was "Hmm not as good as the cruze". After we got out of the lot and onto the road and the guy told me to go ahead, The Chev Cruze never entered my thoughts again. The acceleration was real impressive. The ride a small bit bouncy but not too much, just so you can feel what your driving over. The road noise was louder than the Cruze. Handling slightly resembled a sports car.

End result for me:

We bought the Elantra. Upgraded to the GLS. That means alloy rims, rear heated seats, heated mirrors, sunroof, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter and I don't know what else.

CLIFFS

I chose the Elantra over the Cruze.

Aleks
05-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Congrats on your purchase. This is why it's always good to test drive cars for yourself as that's ultimately what matters. None of these cars will get anywhere near 700kms let alone 1100kms in city driving. Willing to bet those are highway theoretical numbers if you ran the tank down to no gas left in it.

It's interesting that you thought Elantra accelerated better when Cruze is suppose to be quite a bit faster off the line. Maybe the car is too quiet and isolating so it feels slower than it is?

big A
05-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I agree with everything you said. I read how the cruze does a better 0-60 and think that using the word `thought`is exactly it. I enjoyed the ride that much more that to ME it felt like it out performed the cruze.
Also like I said in my review, I think the sound deadening and extra smooth ride in the Cruze actually take away from the enjoyability of the road.

Everybody`s advice was great but just like many people said "you gotta do it yourself and make your own decision".:D

tentacles
05-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Was the Cruze manual or auto? I guess the manual is the one to have because the GM 6speed auto is tuned for fuel economy and is sluggish unless you floor it, maybe that explains it?

big A
05-21-2011, 11:52 AM
The cruze was manual.
Without rereading what I wrote, I don`t think I actually said it was slower than the Elantra just not as fun to drive for me.

I also want to add to my review: Both the Cruze and Elantra were comfy to get in and out of compared to the focus and corrola for a 6`guy.

For exterior apperance I thought the Elantra looked the nicest.

A790
05-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Sounds like you made the right choice for you. Enjoy your new car!

big A
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Snipped from todays Calgary Sun.

Elantra vies for 2nd North American title

The 2012 Canadian Car of the Year is a Korean vehicle, that much we know for certain.

The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) announced the three finalists for car of the year during media day at the 2012 Montreal Auto Show, and it will be the Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Elantra and Kia Optima all vying for the top prize.

With only three SUV/CUV categories at Canadian Car of the Year testing, the three finalists have already been decided, with the BMW X3, Dodge Journey, and Volkswagen Touareg TDI all in the running for 2012 Canadian Utility Vehicle of the Year.

It’s an eclectic mix for Best New Design, with the Hyundai Veloster, Jaguar XKR-S, and Land Rover Range Rover Evoque comprising the finalists list.

Those three winners, as well as Best New Technology, will be announced on February 16 at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto.

Category winners are decided by members of AJAC during Test Fest, a testing program where journalists drive vehicles back to back over the course of several days and vote on them. The scores are mixed with actual performance data to decide the top vehicles in each category.

big A
01-12-2012, 03:38 PM
After reading that article in todays Sun, I thought I would give an update.

It's about eight months later of owning the Elantra GLS and I am extremely happy with everything about it.

The winter has shown that the traction control makes it feel like it's not too much of a step down from a four wheel drive on the city roads so far this year. The heater and heated seats warm you up VERY fast.

There's going to be skeptics but twice I actually got 700k out of a 46l tank of gas. Yes I did overfill untill I could see the fuel at the top and it was mostly highway and I drove untill the "km untill empty" display went blank(which I know is bad but I have always done it).

The kids love the rear heated seats.

The only downfall since that mini tornado incident. The Front clip doesn't match the rest of the car anymore but that's not Elantra's fault. :(

Aleks
01-12-2012, 04:14 PM
After reading that article in todays Sun, I thought I would give an update.

It's about eight months later of owning the Elantra GLS and I am extremely happy with everything about it.

The winter has shown that the traction control makes it feel like it's not too much of a step down from a four wheel drive on the city roads so far this year. The heater and heated seats warm you up VERY fast.

There's going to be skeptics but twice I actually got 700k out of a 46l tank of gas. Yes I did overfill untill I could see the fuel at the top and it was mostly highway and I drove untill the "km untill empty" display went blank(which I know is bad but I have always done it).

The kids love the rear heated seats.

The only downfall since that mini tornado incident. The Front clip doesn't match the rest of the car anymore but that's not Elantra's fault. :(

No one should be skeptical about you getting 700k out of 46L on mostly highway. That's around 6.6L/100kms. Canadian rating is 4.9L/100kms. So they are telling you with that much gas you should go 940kms or so. ;)

MGCM
01-12-2012, 10:42 PM

Sadly, nothing is fun to drive in this segment :cry:. It just doesn't make sense to have the car I have now when I drive ~4,000km/year.

I'll probably be looking used, so that rules out the Focus. I am not interested in any previous Focuses.

I don't want a golf/jetta because I can't get anything other than that 2.0L (not turbo) in my price range I don't think, unless I go older than I want to.

Mazda 3 (2.3L) and Civic (Si) are definitely the front runners. I'd like to keep it around $16-17k and not much older than 2007-2009 or so.

bump, what about the Hyundai Veloster??

xnvy
01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
^ Well the Civic Si starts at ~$26,000 compared to ~$19,000 for the Veloster and $16,795 for a Mazda 3 Sport. I'd go for the Mazda 3 based on price, and it has a lot more cargo space than the Civic. Base Veloster has no guts and I don't think the price of the turbo has been released yet. Also I think the Mazda 3 sport gets around 30 more hp than the base veloster.

Sugarphreak
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

MGCM
01-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
^ Well the Civic Si starts at ~$26,000 compared to ~$19,000 for the Veloster and $16,795 for a Mazda 3 Sport. I'd go for the Mazda 3 based on price, and it has a lot more cargo space than the Civic. Base Veloster has no guts and I don't think the price of the turbo has been released yet. Also I think the Mazda 3 sport gets around 30 more hp than the base veloster.

the new 2012 Mazda 3 looks like a good overall package

big A
01-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I could have told you this.... but then again this is like comparing one kind of poo to another kind of slightly more disgusting poo.

EDIT: Ahhh crap, never mind... I just noticed you bought it, no ill will intended (although the pun was).

That did make me laugh.

You have to realize our other vehicle is an 04 Expedition lifted on 33s etc. So when we are not driving to Banff for only a few dollars, we can also look down on other people and feel we're better than they are to just like you do.

Masked Bandit
01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised little 4 cylinder engines like this can't manage anything better than the 6.6 L / 100 KM posted by the OP's real world experience. I used to own a 2003 Maxima with the 3.5 L (~255 hp) and on the highway with the cruze set at ~115 KPH I usually got around 7.2 - 7.5 L / 100 KM. It really was the best of both worlds, decent fuel consumption when you were nice to it and it lots of go when the situation arose.

relyt92
01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I'm surprised little 4 cylinder engines like this can't manage anything better than the 6.6 L / 100 KM posted by the OP's real world experience. I used to own a 2003 Maxima with the 3.5 L (~255 hp) and on the highway with the cruze set at ~115 KPH I usually got around 7.2 - 7.5 L / 100 KM. It really was the best of both worlds, decent fuel consumption when you were nice to it and it lots of go when the situation arose. My 3.2L Acura CL-S got 6.8l/100km with 260hp on a drive up to edmonton with cruise set at 120 and no AC on. I was absolutely amazed by the mileage this thing can get on the highway.

Seth1968
01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I could have told you this.... but then again this is like comparing one kind of poo to another kind of slightly more disgusting poo.

This.

BTW-GM and Chrysler?

Now tell your kids that they're going to work and pay for some shit ass PRIVATE companies.

"It's too big to fail"
:facepalm:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I quite like the Cruze but I guess I am biased as I work for GM.

Graham_A_M
01-14-2012, 06:12 PM
I would have went with the Cruze, but thats just me.

nismo_fan
01-15-2012, 01:09 AM
having worked at both and driven all different models of both, the elantra is definitely leagues ahead of the cruze. the elantra is a lot more involving and way less boring to drive. even comparing the malibu to the sonata is a waste of time, especially when you move into the upscale (2.0t) vs the best malibu platinum, you feel like your driving something cool versus something for seniors lol. anyhow, just my 2 cents on it

Vr4Whore
01-15-2012, 12:50 PM
wtf whats all the commercial hype about cruze gas mileage then?

Sugarphreak
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM

xnvy
01-16-2012, 05:03 PM
^ Yeah, just google the Cruze "Proven" commercial. 0:41 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3WXFJ0zo5s)

Sugarphreak
01-16-2012, 07:13 PM

xnvy
01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
^ those two suck cpi2IAec9Ho
:hijack: