05-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Details:
Fritou Halal Fried Chicken
(403) 450-5880
216 Saddletown Circle NE
Calgary, AB T3J
www.fritouchickenpizza.com

The review:
I had read about this place a while ago and have been meaning to go there for a long time as a closer alternative to Chicken-on-the-Way and finally got to yesterday.

It's located in Saddletown Circle (not saddleridge circle or crescent, as Google would have you believe), meaning for me it was a very quick drive to get there from Country Hills. It's on the west side of the plaza so it's pretty much right there if you access the circle from 80th like I did.

Inside it's a pretty unassuming place, with decor that would look at home in a Mary Brown's but with very friendly staff. So we placed our order and contrary to what a blog that has a review on urbanspoon for this place said, the chicken was ready and in a box for me in under 10min and we were heading back home.

One thing I should mention -- there's 3 kinds of breading you can get. Regular is just plain, Spicy (what we got) and Western is a mildly spicy version.

Anyways the chicken -- it was fresh, hot and juicy; much juicier in fact than what I normally get at Chicken-on-the-Way. The skin was a bit salty, but crispy despite what other reviews say, and while I'd hesitate to call it spicy, it's not bland in the least. Now, what's included with the chicken is what will make me a repeat customer, and that's the homemade "hot sauce".

It's not really hot (I can drink the stuff), but it's this fantastic combination of onions, something that makes it red, and just a bucketload of delicious.

Dinner ended up being 3 pieces of the spicy chicken, some leftover couscous and a root beer float and I'm hoping to have the rest of the chicken (and couscous) tonight!

I can say it's definitely worth the short drive if you're in the near NW like I am and if you're in the NE, hell, they deliver!

Guillermo
05-16-2011, 01:14 PM
sounds awesome man! how does it compare in price to KFC/mary browns/nandos/swiss chalet? just curious how much more it is for halal meat? i'm not religious, but i occasionally buy halal chicken and don't notice a taste difference from 'regular' chicken, but it is more expensive.

JRSC00LUDE
05-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
sounds awesome man! how does it compare in price to KFC/mary browns/nandos/swiss chalet? just curious how much more it is for halal meat? i'm not religious, but i occasionally buy halal chicken and don't notice a taste difference from 'regular' chicken, but it is more expensive.

I am far from an expert on the subject but i believe that, among other things, part of making meats "Halal" is the slaughtering process. It must be humane/respectful and also in the name of Allah or something to that effect. That in itself could have effect on pricing I imagine.... :dunno:

n1zm0
05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
yeah Halal is just the killing process when in regards to meat, no difference in the taste tho, i remember in M'sia almost everything is Halal cept for the pork obviously that the chinese and christians eat, actually more 'humane' to kill an animal that way they say (not what i believe tho if you've ever seen it happen) but meat is meat to me imo. none of my family is muslim back there but my cousin brought me to a muslim village wedding where they performed Halal for the cow, chicken etc... all i remember was a stream of red into a basin.

i have been meaning to try the one on Canyon Meadows drive for the longest time! i'll be sure to get the hot sauce too when i do try, any reviews on the pizza part of it OP or anyone else whos tried?

Guillermo
05-16-2011, 02:05 PM
are there rules for halal that the meat can't contain any preservatives/additives, hormones, things like that? or is it mostly the killing process? i could see how the former might taste better ( ?).

n1zm0
05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
idk^ might want to ask an actual muslim that lol

but googling really quick it seems most preservatives are ok to use regarding Halal, E200-E252:

http://special.worldofislam.info/Food/numbers.html

i know Mary Browns here is Halal chicken as a side note.

1barA4
06-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Price-wise really not that bad...
Check out the prices on their website:

http://www.fritouchickenpizza.com/

slick2404
02-23-2015, 12:13 PM
bumping an old thread - does anyone know if the new location on 10th and 1st SW (old brava sheesha lounge) is open yet? I can't find a # online for them, and the other locations are clueless to it even opening up.

Mostwanted
02-23-2015, 12:34 PM
yeah they are open now been there but I don't believe its as good as the Saddletowne Circle one ( I go there religiously ) don't even try the SkyView location, probably the worst I tasted

BlueHaloGirl
02-26-2015, 12:43 PM
I agree the Saddletown one is fantastic! Best fried chicken I've had. The spicy is the best and coupled with the home made hot sauce is to die for.
Good to know about the skyview one, I was thinking of trying it out.

Kinjou
02-26-2015, 01:40 PM
The problem with the skyview one is that it was very inconsistent. Its family run with the kids pitching in. The chicken made by the certain people there was better than others. I just go to the Saddletowne one even though the skyview one is closer.

Mostwanted
02-26-2015, 01:58 PM
yeah, I was surprised when I saw these 2 young girls with no hair tye on cooking in the back, actually called 20 min before I picked it up so I can grab and go, ended up staying and waiting another 20 min to get it, there were only a couple of people in the resto. on top of that it was $hit LOL.

Christian@IE
02-26-2015, 02:19 PM
The new location on 10th Ave is really close to both work and home. Can anyone comment specifically on this location? It sounds as though there is some inconsistency between the locations.

sexualbanana
02-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Christian@IE
The new location on 10th Ave is really close to both work and home. Can anyone comment specifically on this location? It sounds as though there is some inconsistency between the locations.

So far its not looking too good. Showed up and ordered. Thr cadhier acted like she couldnt care less about anything i was saying.

One girl here looks like shes waiting for her order. Looks preetlpreetlike shes been here for awhile waiting. Im approaching 15 minutes with no real hope in sight despite being the only other order.

Ill let you know when/if i get my food

cancer man
02-28-2015, 06:43 AM
I go for Halal Chicken on the corner of 36st and 26th ave s.e.
21.00 for a complete chicken,,worth the drive.In the hood the food is good.
I don;t know the name just the location.

sexualbanana
12-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Bumping an old thread.

For those of you more familiar with Fritou, what's the verdict on the kind of restaurant they are?

Are they more like a casual, sit-down restaurant, which would explain the 15-20 min wait times?

Are they supposed to be more fast-food, order and get out in 5 min or less?

Every time I go to the downtown location, it's a solid 20 minute wait each time so I'm wondering if it's just because my perception that it's fast food is different from what they think they are.

MR2-3SGTE
12-21-2016, 10:20 AM
The food itself doesnt take very long to make, the issue is just that they're always very backed up. You can place an order over the phone or even online for faster service. I would not consider it a casual sit down place.

G-ZUS
12-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Wait times are usually hit and miss. Sometimes 5 min, sometimes 20 min.

sexualbanana
12-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
The food itself doesnt take very long to make, the issue is just that they're always very backed up. You can place an order over the phone or even online for faster service. I would not consider it a casual sit down place.

I can't imagine order volume ever being a problem because I'm usually the only other person in there when I've gone.

At first I thought maybe because it was later (around 830ish), but when I've gone closer to dinner rush time, the wait is still the same.

I'm beginning to think the downtown one just doesn't have it together.

Xtrema
12-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I'm beginning to think the downtown one just doesn't have it together.

Google reviews seem to agree.

flipstah
12-21-2016, 11:23 PM
The DT llocation is not the same.

TL911
12-22-2016, 09:15 AM
The Skyview location sucks compared to the Saddletown one. The quality just isn't there.

turbotrip
12-22-2016, 07:38 PM
saddletown is the only one i go to. the others dont compare

spikerS
12-22-2016, 08:26 PM
God damnit. I had forgotten about this place, and now I am craving it.

And yes, the Saddletown one is the only good place. The other ones are just not at the same level. Not sure what they do different there, but it works!

And skip the dishes won't deliver from this far away... :cry: