PDA

View Full Version : How often do you splurge on your diet?

Roarasaur
05-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Well as the title says, how often do you splurge when your eating throughout the week/month?

I've been trying to eat better the last couple of weeks and my diet usually consists of chicken, eggs, tuna, greek yogurt, with your fruits and veggies thrown in there and all that healthy stuff. However, there are those days where I crave a good 5 guys burger loaded with calories and unnecessary fats, but I hold myself away from them.

I always like to "reward" myself every week or two with a meal that is a little calorie and fat heavy, be it a burger or multi course chinese meal. So, just wondering what everyone else is doing?

civic_stylez
05-17-2011, 08:24 AM
First rule of a proper diet is to cheat. Its cheating within moderation. Some days i crave chocolate cake or peanut butter cookies so ill have them. I eat them at breakfast so i have all day to burn it off instead of laying on the couch at 10pm and gorging on them. If you never cheat on your diet, you will begin to resent it and lower your chances of success. I pick and choose my "cheat" meals though.. its very rare that i have a massive cheat meal..that being said, I totally killed a 10 piece chicken mcnugget meal on the weekend and absolutely loved every minute of it. :D . I enjoy eating well though. I have way more energy and feel healthy. 6 small meals a day with my highest concentration of calories,protein and fats being at breakfast.

trevh
05-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Usually have a cheat meal on Friday or Saturday. I still won't eat any wheat though...

trevh
05-17-2011, 08:26 AM
FYI- Fruits not as healthy as you think...

adidas
05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by trevh

:rofl:

Cheat meals once a week, usually on the weekends. can range anywhere from cookies to a burger.

A790
05-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Cheat meals once or twice per week depending on how bad the first meal was :D Usually Saturday/Sunday.

msommers
05-17-2011, 09:09 AM
What's wrong with berries and bananas?!

sputnik
05-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by trevh

Only fad diets will tell you that.

Fruits are packed with tons of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and other nutrients your body benefits from. Getting worked up about carbs in fruits is really a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

LUDELVR
05-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

is really a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Oh mate! My aunt still hasn't forgiven me for that one!!:banghead:

CMW403
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I voted >4 times a week simply because I read "How often do you splurge on your..." and couldn't believe it could be anything but "...girlfriend".

wintonyk
05-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I voted once per month. But in all honesty I don't see certain things as cheating.

I will never go buy a burger or fries or wings because I just don't like them. Crap food makes me sick. If i am craving pizza, its a slice of whole grain bread with tomato sauce, low fat cheese and some spices. Still a very healthy choice.

It's all what you get used to. Candy is too sweet, so i eat maybe an ounce of dark chocolate once or twice per week which is still considered healthy. When I go out for dinner I never eat the carb they provide always double vegetables. I don't do this because of "dieting" i do this because its part of my life. I seldom desire these foods.

IMHO a cheat meal or snack is fine, as long as it stops at that. If you have a chocolate bar one day, chips the next, a burger and fries the following then it will be challenging to be successful. I see it day in and day out.

Indulgences are the key to long term success, any diet that cuts these out completely isn't worth your time. Ask anyone that has followed bernsteins. You can lose the weight but it comes back pretty quickly.

J-hop
05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Only fad diets will tell you that.

Fruits are packed with tons of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and other nutrients your body benefits from. Getting worked up about carbs in fruits is really a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I don't worry so much about the carbs in fruits as the sugars. 126 grams of grapes (not very much!!) has around 20g of sugar, which is half that of a regular can of coke.

TheRealTimHorton
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

I don't worry so much about the carbs in fruits as the sugars. 126 grams of grapes (not very much!!) has around 20g of sugar, which is half that of a regular can of coke.

I'm sorry but don't post misleading information...

Fructose is found in fruits.

High fructose Corn Syrup is found in Coke.

Fructose is a natural sugar.

High fructose corn syrup is not a natural sugar.

They are both sugars. They are vastly different.

When HFCS is ingested, it travels straight to the liver which turns the sugary liquid into fat, and unlike other carbohydrates HFCS does not cause the pancreas to produce insulin; which acts as a hunger quenching signal to the brain. So we get stuck in a vicious cycle, eating food that gets immediately stored as fat and never feeling full.

I dare you to find me someone who has health problems from eating too much fruit.

Dave P
05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Sunday - Thursday = 1500 calories a day
Friday - Sat = 2000 a day, plus a few beer

bmeier
05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
Sunday - Thursday = 1500 calories a day
Friday - Sat = 2000 a day, plus a few beer

1500 a day? how much do you weigh? do you exercise?

J-hop
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton

I'm sorry but don't post misleading information...

Fructose is found in fruits.

High fructose Corn Syrup is found in Coke.

Fructose is a natural sugar.

High fructose corn syrup is not a natural sugar.

They are both sugars. They are vastly different.

I dare you to find me someone who has health problems from eating too much fruit.

pretty sure that excerpt you quoted applies for fructose in fruits as well. Everything i've ever read says that fructose is converted to fat much more readily than glucose. Yea sure high fructose corn syrup is worse than naturally occurring fructose, but neither is all that great for you, unless strict moderation is adhered to

wintonyk
05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
On that fructose note, we had a discussion about this a year or two back. Very good video worth watching on it too
Sugar the Bitter truth (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-305645.html)

Watch that video to get a full understanding.

Back to the topic though. What does one constitute as a splurge? Is a it a full out balls deep in grease burger and fries? Or is it a peice of candy? 1 slice of pizza? The whole pie?

Idratherbsidewayz
05-17-2011, 03:52 PM
My friend has been eating nothing but fruit (and a couple buns before drinking) for the last 5-6 months. He's healthy as an ox with tons of energy.

Everyone really wants him to keel over, it defies science!!

TheRealTimHorton
05-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

pretty sure that excerpt you quoted applies for fructose in fruits as well. Everything i've ever read says that fructose is converted to fat much more readily than glucose. Yea sure high fructose corn syrup is worse than naturally occurring fructose, but neither is all that great for you, unless strict moderation is adhered to

lol... "pretty sure"

If you're worried about getting fat, your diet won't matter as much as your level of activity. I know plenty of people who will eat like shit, but they are over active and never gain weight.

If you do nothing and eat fruit all day, yeah you might get fat.

I'm getting at the fact that you think eating grapes is almost as bad as drinking coke. Gimme a break. I'll eat fucken 300grams of grapes a day and you drink a can of coke everyday.. Let's see who fares better.

J-hop
05-17-2011, 03:58 PM

lol... "pretty sure"

If you're worried about getting fat, your diet won't matter as much as your level of activity. I know plenty of people who will eat like shit, but they are over active and never gain weight.

I'm getting at the fact that you think eating grapes is almost as bad as drinking coke. Gimme a break. I'll eat fucken 300grams of grapes a day and you drink a can of coke everyday.. Let's see who fares better.

WOW I compare sugar content and you think im saying eating grapes is just as bad as drinking a coke :facepalm: :facepalm:

Idratherbsidewayz
05-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Thats wrong on two counts. Losing weight and maintaining weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise. Imagine how many calories you burn from running or other popular exercises. Say you run 5 miles at about 7mph every day. That's about 700 calories.

Go on a diet like the rapid fat loss (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325343/rapid-fat-loss/) and see how 1300 calorie deficits daily help you lose weight with minimal exercise.

I doubt anyone is running 5 miles every day (rare cases), so it isn't as realistic as dieting.

Also, my friend is still a twig on his fruit diet...

Those people you see who don't gain weight, most likely have naturally faster metabolisms and have trouble gaining weight regardless of exercise. I've got lots of thin friends who eat like shit and don't get bigger.

A790
05-17-2011, 04:00 PM

lol... "pretty sure"

First, you completely missed the point of his post. Well done.

Second, your DIET is KEY to weight gain/loss. People who eat like shit but never gain weight have a high metabolism, but they are the exception... not the norm. I can cite hundreds, thousands, MILLIONS of examples of people who work out/are active and still gain weight due to an abhorrent diet.

max_boost
05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Just find a balance somewhere. Diet has always been something that I can't nail down. I just don't have the discipline or I just don't want to lol It doesn't mean I'm going to have a Big Mac everyday but if I want ice cream, I'm going to have it. If I feel like a big bowl of spaghetti, I'm going to down it. I party on the weekends so drinking 5-10 drinks isn't healthy but I'll try to burn it off by going prowler/stairs/battling rope the following days. If I feel like my gut is out of control, I will do my version of rapid fat loss lol :dunno: :nut:

Benny
05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Just find a balance somewhere. Diet has always been something that I can't nail down. I just don't have the discipline or I just don't want to lol It doesn't mean I'm going to have a Big Mac everyday but if I want ice cream, I'm going to have it. If I feel like a big bowl of spaghetti, I'm going to down it. I party on the weekends so drinking 5-10 drinks isn't healthy but I'll try to burn it off by going prowler/stairs/battling rope the following days. If I feel like my gut is out of control, I will do my version of rapid fat loss lol :dunno: :nut:

That's kinda always been my problem too. I'm out of town for 4 days at a time in the middle of fucking nowhere so I usually buy only good foods before I leave and eat healthy the whole time. When I do get back in town I usually whoop it up and go a little nuts. It's amazing how fast diet goes out the window when you're living the rig pig life :rofl:

Roarasaur
05-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Well, when I said splurge, I'm thinking of things that aren't regularly part of your healthy meal routine. Everyday there are variations but usually I stick to chicken, eggs, yogurt, lean beef, fruits and veggies and all that jazz, the healthy stuff. A cookie for dessert or something like that I find is reasonable every once in a while and I wouldn't take that as a splurge.

When I think splurge, I think Big Mac with fries and coke, or half a pizza, multi-course meal, or calorie heavy food court food (I will never go to thai express ever again, after reading that their pad thai has 1000+ calories in it with very little of anything else even resembling anything nutritious, and I can somehow never finish an entire plate, regardless of how hungry I am).

Diet has really been the main thing that has worked out for me. 2 years ago, I weighed in at almost 185lb, at 5'5" eating junk food all of the time. I realized how big I was getting but decided that the one thing I had to do was change my diet. I did almost no exercise (the occasional jog every 2-3 weeks) but made sure that I cut a few things from my diet and got down to about 150lb within 6 months to a year basically from diet alone. Now with exercise and stricter dieting, in the last 2-3 months I've got down to 135lb, put on some muscle and feeling better than ever.