PDA

View Full Version : rear differentiial problems? best shop to take my car in?

georgemagana
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,

Just like the title says, seems like my car is having some problems on the rear differential or wheel bearings. I was wondering what would be the best place to take my car in to get that checked? I took it to my regular dealer but the guys there dont seem to know how to deal with my problem. Im sure some of you guys have experience on this

Thanks

b18cr
05-17-2011, 08:38 PM
what kind of car?

when does the noise/issue occur?

georgemagana
05-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by b18cr
what kind of car?

when does the noise/issue occur?

Its a mazda rx8. The noise starts when i let off the gas. It seems that the noise peaks between 50-65 km/r. The car drives perfectly, no vibration or anything else but the noise. I first though it could be my tires making the noise but the stealership said the noise is coming from the rear differential, so my car is now at another dealer to get a second opinion. And the noise is like a humming noise... hummmm really hard to explain.

Thanks for the help

EDIT: When driving the car the noise is never there, only when slowing down in gear or neutral. I also turn the car off while moving and waited about 20 seconds to turn it back on just to see if it was an engine or transmission noise but the noise was still there

RickDaTuner
05-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by georgemagana

Its a mazda rx8. The noise starts when i let off the gas. It seems that the noise peaks between 50-65 km/r. The car drives perfectly, no vibration or anything else but the noise. I first though it could be my tires making the noise but the stealership said the noise is coming from the rear differential, so my car is now at another dealer to get a second opinion. And the noise is like a humming noise... hummmm really hard to explain.

Thanks for the help

EDIT: When driving the car the noise is never there, only when slowing down in gear or neutral. I also turn the car off while moving and waited about 20 seconds to turn it back on just to see if it was an engine or transmission noise but the noise was still there

sounds like its low on fluid, and the lash was set incorrectly. has this car ever had the rear diff serviced? it could potentially be the Cardin joints them selves, they tend to do funny things when they are dry and worn mainly under decell, since that is the most unnatural state for them to be in.
Could

georgemagana
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

sounds like its low on fluid, and the lash was set incorrectly. has this car ever had the rear diff serviced? it could potentially be the Cardin joints them selves, they tend to do funny things when they are dry and worn mainly under decell, since that is the most unnatural state for them to be in.
Could

Yes I actually read that it could be low in fluid and that would be causing the noise. I bought the car last year and never service the differential yet. I will call the dealer tomorrow morning to tell them to check the fluids level before doing anything else.

Thanks for the help guys