PDA

View Full Version : a few simple questions?

lam-boy
01-16-2004, 09:45 AM
so from reading most of the topics in here. i can assume that SAIT/MRC don't hand out degrees? but my friend says that MRC does?

sait is good for like CTS studies right?

MRC is more like...______ (haha i don't know)

UofC is....more based on??

im also wondering, if i take some classes at sait or MRC is it transferable to U of C for like say a 'degree' graduating class?
i hope you guys understand what i am trying to ask..

Melinda
01-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Trnsferable programs from SAIT and MRC depend on the program...you'll have to call the school and find out...

ZorroAMG
01-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Sait and MRC ar Diplomas only if I am not mistaken...only Universities can give out REAL degree...and yes, Sait and MRC have university transfer programs where you start at the colleges and finish in University, as Melinda said, which school and which program you'd have to call and ask..

Sait also has UofL classes on campus..you can do a UofL degree staying mostly in Calgary....check that out as well

thich
01-16-2004, 01:08 PM
MRC is applying to become an accredited University too; but that won't be for another two years probably

Weapon_R
01-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by thich
MRC is applying to become an accredited University too; but that won't be for another two years probably

And it's going to take YEARS for them to establish themselves, if possible, to the point where employers can take their graduates seriously.

CRX-R
01-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Alot of schools other than U of C have more leanient transfer policies. My sister did a business diploma at SAIT and the UofC would only give her 1year of credit towards a degree, whereas the UofL took all her courses at face value, leaving only 2 years left to obtain her degree. Just FYI

max_boost
01-16-2004, 03:51 PM
SAIT does offer some degree programs. I know their Bachelor of Applied Business Administration will land you a CGA designation upon completion, if you want a career in Accounting.

If I were you, I wouldn't even both with MRC and then transferring to U of C. Why not just start at U of C? Ultimately it comes down to what program you are after. We will be able to give you better advice if you had an idea what you want to do.

Ajay
01-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Sait and MRC have alot of transfer programs to UofC and other institutions if you're looking for that sort of thing.

Alot of people are more inclined to go to MRC or Sait because it is alot cheaper than UofC.

Melinda
01-16-2004, 07:00 PM
With my program (journalism) at SAIT, it is manditory to complete it to get your bachelor of communications degree at U of C...if you started at U of C then u do 2 years there then get sent to SAIT to finish 2 years in my program

xrayvsn
01-16-2004, 07:08 PM
You should be able to figure out which of the MRC courses are transferable to U of C. It may not be a bad idea to take the first couple of years at MRC before transferring to the U of C, since tuition is so much less.

Plan a bit ahead and decide what faculty/degree program you are after, and select your MRC courses appropriately. My wife did her first 2 years of undergrad at MRC before transferring to UofC science and getting her BSc at the U.

I spent the full 4 years at UofC, and I think we got an equivalent education, while she spent far less in tuition.

I guess it all depends on whether there are transferrable credit courses from SAIT/MRC for the degree program that you are hoping to do.

lam-boy
01-18-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
Sait and MRC have alot of transfer programs to UofC and other institutions if you're looking for that sort of thing.

Alot of people are more inclined to go to MRC or Sait because it is alot cheaper than UofC.

Originally posted by xrayvsn
You should be able to figure out which of the MRC courses are transferable to U of C. It may not be a bad idea to take the first couple of years at MRC before transferring to the U of C, since tuition is so much less.

Plan a bit ahead and decide what faculty/degree program you are after, and select your MRC courses appropriately. My wife did her first 2 years of undergrad at MRC before transferring to UofC science and getting her BSc at the U.

I spent the full 4 years at UofC, and I think we got an equivalent education, while she spent far less in tuition.

I guess it all depends on whether there are transferrable credit courses from SAIT/MRC for the degree program that you are hoping to do.

thats the main reason why i was thinking about transferring and such. just to save some money.
"save some here, got some to spend there" kinda thing for me.
now i just gotta see which courses are transferable, if unable ill just head myself into the U!

szw
01-18-2004, 04:51 AM
What is the price of a class at Sait/ MRC?

Melinda
01-18-2004, 11:02 AM
For one semester of journalism for me at SAIT is ~$2100

kaput
01-18-2004, 11:10 AM

Gondi Stylez
01-18-2004, 11:45 AM
if ur goin to mrc you can go into the advising office and ask them for a sheet w/ all the transferable courses to teh uofc that you will take at MRC! as long as you know what program ur goin into! im doin my first 2 years at mrc then goin to uofc! im doin a BSc. if that means anything... but tuition is ALOT cheaper at MRC then it was at UofC cuz i had the choice of both... mainly my reason for going to MRC.... but a couple more also...

kaput
01-18-2004, 05:11 PM

Melinda
01-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by kaput
U of C costs me $ 2,368.00 for a semester, so if sait is ~$2100 then they're pretty comparable.
For now. I did an article last semester about tuition hikes in alberta...looks as though U of C stands to raise tuition costs a whole lot in a 'gradual' process over the next 3 years