PDA

View Full Version : Do subs sound better in the trunk or in the car?

googe
01-16-2004, 10:40 AM
I am in the process of piecing together my audio setup, and am wondering if it matters where I place my sub(s). It seems like a no brainer that having it inside the car would sound better, but I am told by someone this is not the case. I can either mount it into the trunk, or my other option is to have it facing the rear bench seat, as it has a pass-through armrest section, so when pulling the armrest down the sub would be exposed to the inside.

It seems as though a clear sub geared toward SQ placed in the trunk would defeat its purpose a bit?

tt398
01-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Do you mean a sub in the trunk with the speaker drivers TOTALLY isolated from the passenger compartment?

hockeybronx
01-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Most people put subs in the trunk because there simply is not enough room in the interior. However you get a lot more sound obviously if they are in the interior of the car. Some guys I know have taken their backseat out so they can make a proper set up for the subs.

It's your call, interior=more sound=less room
trunk=less sound=more room

Illusionsir
01-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Most people put subs in the trunk because there simply is not enough room in the interior. However you get a lot more sound obviously if they are in the interior of the car. Some guys I know have taken their backseat out so they can make a proper set up for the subs.

It's your call, interior=more sound=less room
trunk=less sound=more room

not entirely true. for maximum bass the subs are usually placed in the trunk facing the lid. this is because Subs run off air (obviously) and prefer reverberation (sp) to make "louder" bass.
the longer the path of travel for the air is, (with in reason) the louder the bass will sound.

sputnik
01-16-2004, 01:49 PM
subs in the STI? is it too fast for you?

wd277
01-18-2004, 04:19 PM
You should try playing them in different locations to find what sounds best and loudest, every car is different. maybe build a custom box for testing if you cant move it around. radio shack sells a decent spl meter for $40 that could help you. I've got a 10" in the trunk and tried every possible placement. it ended up being 5 db louder when i faced it up at the rear deck, probably reflecting off the rear window, but you cant go wrong with trial and error :werd:

tegdreamer
01-18-2004, 05:45 PM
it all depends whether you are going for a full out show setup , full functionality or a bit of both...i would assume a properly tuned box would be optimal wheras if you do a false floor or something you are limited in space in a certain aspect......decide where u are headed with the system before you decide where to put the subs!

That.Guy.S30
01-18-2004, 05:48 PM
facing the back of the trunk sounds best for most subies.. some ppl like facing them up towards the roof of the trunk..
the subs in subies with the pass through is mainly for spl..
i have mine in a mdf box.. sounds alright but weighs alot.. i have a infinity kappa perfect (sq sub).. as long as you power it right itll sound awsome in the trunk without a pass through..
my advice is if you dont want your system to wiegh down your car since its an STI.. you upgrade your speakers and get some 6 in kicks or 8 inch subs.. run it off a amp.. itll thump pretty good..

KoukiS14
01-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Subs belong in the back. They are meant to go there.

That.Guy.S30
01-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by NismoS14
Subs belong in the back. They are meant to go there.

that is where he is puttin them. but the impreza's have a fold down pass through in the rear bench and thats where he wants the sub to be. near the passthrough

dj_rice
01-21-2004, 03:48 AM
Well I dunno where they should go but before I had my subs in my well..I drive a hatback 240sx so I guess thats the trunk but the subs were facing towards the back of you and it was alright...

but then I decided to switch it around and have it face towards my trunck/hatch and for some reason they got even louder...like the bass is more hearable from the inside and out now..and its the same vol as b4...

Anyone know why??

npham
01-22-2004, 12:39 PM
The walls and roof of your car act in many different ways when reflecting the sound waves that come from the driver. Maybe the waves are getting bounced a little more, then them bleeding out into the back of your car. Resonance of the car plays a huge role in this, but thats another topic....

Moonracer
01-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Yeah it's like moving your home stereo speaker from say being on a stand away from any walls to putting it on the floor in the corner. It now has more surfaces to bounce off of which is what gives it some amplification. By turning your sub around and pointing it at the back it is being amplified by hitting the rear of the hatch and the surrounding walls first before coming to the front of the car and your ears. :)

-250-
01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Bass is a super low frequency so it pass through the trunk just as easly as it would if it was in the car. I dont think it matters, but i was always under the impression that the smaller the space the box was pounding in, the harder and louder it would be, by some of the harmoic tones bouncing within the trunk, rather others are low enough to pass straight into the play space (your car).