PDA

View Full Version : Power window problem

James
09-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Does anyone on here know of any Shops that specialize/are good at Fixing Power Windows or Can get parts for cheap? My Drivers Side Power Window Cable snapped last week:banghead: , and The Part is $160.00 from the Toyota Dealership( Regulator and Cable) and Labour is gonna be about $190.00 (Estimate form Heninger Toyota) , I cant drive my car anywhere because the Window wont go up so I need this Fixed ASAP, Thanks.

turboMiata
09-10-2002, 06:30 PM
Have you checked for used parts?

http://www.car-part.com/

You can prolly do the replacement yourself. I doubt it would be a crazy job. It's not like replacing a convertible top or anything.

Audi Kid
09-10-2002, 07:24 PM
dude this happend to me.....i took my window off the motor and used a piece of wood to prop it up in the closed position haha im a true Leo haha

cocoabrova
09-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey James, it's really not that hard to R & R a pwr./manual window regulator... As for the part itself, try the usual suspects for used parts:
A-1 Auto Parts for Less
A-Z Auto Parts
P & S Auto Parts
Affordable Auto Wreckers
Allen & Sons Auto Wreckers, yada, yada, yada.... :rofl: Hey drop by Pick-Your-Nose and maybe you'll get lucky and find an MR2 there :thumbsup: I can help you out with the job if you need a hand, just PM me ;)

James
09-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Well MR2's are impossible to find in Wrecking yards, I have been looking for a new sunroof for 2 months now( I just have great luck with Stupid shit breaking on cars:rolleyes: ) The job is Actually pretty hard to do, I have already tried, and ripped the door apart, but the Damn thing is all welded together, and you cant get at the Motor, must need some special tools or something!:dunno: Audikid--I Was gonna try the block of wood thing , Since I already got the Duct taped sunroof going on. one more Ghetto fix dosnt really matter!:rofl: But PART of the cable is still attached so it wont roll up anymore than 3 inches!:banghead:

Audi Kid
09-10-2002, 10:29 PM
dude mine was put down by this stupid blonde i had in my car......fuck man..i ghetto fixed it tho!

Big_Six_Boy
09-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Go to the junkyard (Vancouver is best) and pick up another strap or complete door. It'll be MUCH LESS than $160.00.
Heck, you could probably buy a completely smashed door for like $25... take the strap out and install it. I know a mechanic who could install the thing for probably $50.
Trust me.. call the junkyard first, it'll save you tonnes of money in the long run. Good luck... you hope get it fixed!

James
09-11-2002, 05:08 PM
I called Allen and Sons Auto Wreckers, and they are getting back to me, they found the part and as well the Sunroof glass that i need in B.C.!!:clap: Shouldnt cost too much, he said the motor/regulator./cable should cost about $160, but when i told him thats what it cost new, ( minus the motor :D ) he said he could get a much cheaper price, since i dont even need the motor,...... hopefully. I tried holding up the window today with some wood, and it is just not working, there is still part of the cable attached that i cant get at!! this is pissing me off! I cant drive my damn car!:(

dj_honda
09-11-2002, 05:18 PM
u should also try deerfoot auto in the northeast, as they have a lot of old honda/toyota parts...
that is where I usually go when i need a part for the cressida...
either that or A1